Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

hobbesmaster posted:

They should’ve passed a multibillion dollar cruise ship bailout to be divided between all US flagged ships.

They do this with MSP money to account for the increased cost of US mariners. Trying to get any increases passed on at contract time is impossible, companies insist it's their money. What I'm saying is NCL doesnt need that much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure but the joke is you can allocate infinity dollars for US flagged cruise ships because there aren’t any.

You cant because the NCL Pride of America is the lone US cruise ship. NCL was exploring reflagging more over winter but this probably puts a bit of a bump in that road.

Navy should have read the CDC report from February as it says something about the virus spread in enclosed spaces.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

orange juche posted:

The parent company is incorporated in the Bahamas, however, and so Norwegian Cruise Lines is not eligible for any break or stimulus. NCL Pride of America could reflag and it wouldn't matter, because Norwegian isn't getting poo poo anyways,

Hate to tell you this but Maersk Lines Limited is owned by Maersk, American Presidents Lines is owned by CMA CGM, etc. They all receive government subsidies under the Maritime Security Program, I think its $5kk/ship. NCL doesnt get MSP money so they dont need the fig leaf of a US subsidiary. When we go to war, Danish and French companies are moving everything.

The US subsidy, along with government cargo preference, generates big profits for these companies in any economic climate. They like to trot out the parent companies financial difficulties during negotiations no matter how profitable the US is.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PookBear posted:

two more dead kennedy's is two more that won't be running for office

I, too, cheer for the death of 8 year olds? Very rad!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

Apparently there's a surplus of grapes in CA, so wine will be cheaper for the next year to 3 years.

TIME TO STOCK UP BITCHES

Already grabbed a case from my brother and 3 more cases laying up for when I get off the ship in 70.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

EBB posted:

Santa Clara County sent an e-mail to us today: Would you like $1000? Know where an old ventilator is?

Girlfriend is positive about the Bay as a whole but unsure about Santa Clara, they are getting hit hard. UCSF is still mostly empty but the current expectation is a peak late April, maybe 5 weeks left from the middle of last week. Something like that, with the hope being they have time to order more PPE/equipment.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

These motherfuckers probably feel safe because even though the correct answer to this sham of an election is massive protests and an occupation of the state capitol building (again) and honestly? this is the point where a full-blown riot is absolutely an acceptable response, people can't precisely for the same reasons they can't get out and vote: the goddamn pandemic. And by the time it's died down to the point where people can gather in large enough numbers, temperatures will have also cooled down to the point where it'll be hard to get enough numbers and energy for an appropriate response.

loving bastards. Traitors to their state, their nation, and the people they represent.

Just make sure to read the last part of that thread so your anger is directed at the right people (the legislature/judiciary) and not Wolfe and the WI election people.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

280 characters is good for shitposts and not much else. Seeing how just about anything that is worth actually reading on Twitter is either in an obnoxious threaded format, or a link to a news article, they should just expand the character limit to ten thousand or something. Or just shut down Twitter and never speak of it again.

It's a meme made to sound smart cause it can be 2 full sentences. But seriously, if someone doesn't have the attention span to try and understand a complex idea in 280 characters how will more make any difference? They will read the leader and ignore the rest anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It takes like 4-6 weeks for those decisions to actually start affecting gas pricing.

The problem is that demand is cratering by more than those cuts while storage is running out if capacity. COVID has made huge cuts in demand that will just prolong that 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile oil countries have to decide if they keep pumping since oil dollars provide a large portion of their authoritarian budget and legitimacy. Any cuts Saudi has made have traditionally allowed outside producers to increase their market share.