Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Edit: ^^^ Picking Sanders as VP is the only concession that would make me vote for him.

Someone needs to make a Schoolhouse Rock on first past the post voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Is it just me or Invisible Enemy a uniquely terrifying phrase for a president to use

At least he's not insisting on "Chinese virus" every time he mentions it anymore.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

Lynchburg should just go ahead and secessed from the Union again.

Falwell has been pushing them to secede from Virginia and join up with West Virginia.
Can't imagine anyone making that move voluntarily.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

Wait what

Do...do they not know why West Virginia is a separate state?

https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2020/02/president-jerry-falwell-and-west-virginia-urge-unhappy-counties-to-secede-and-join-west-virginia/

To be fair, West Virginia's government may well better represent the idiot views of the people in that part of the state.

Unrelated,
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248590616151367686

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Just going to keep saying this each time it pops up, Trump voted by mail less than a month ago.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Because Brown Moses exists, I assume there's some person at home just watching his or her kid quietly and charting every lie and conceit that this guy spews for use at his hopeful eventual public shaming.

I'd prefer the stockade and old tomatoes, but I'm up for suggestions.

https://twitter.com/ddale8

He live tweets the discrepancies to reality from most Trump events.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ded posted:

Food banks are getting massive miles long lines, while farmers dump milk and destroy green beans and tomatoes.

gently caress I love 2020.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/13/farmers-destroy-food-banks-lemon-ctn-vpx.cnn

Pretty much all human suffering from a lack of food is due to distribution issues, and has been for a long time. We've been more than capable of producing enough food to feed everyone for a long while now, but occasionally some people get in the way of that food going to people who need it because someone might benefit from those people going hungry.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You are my idol

From my understanding, there is no corner of a submarine that hasn't been teabagged extensively.

e: hopefully this isn't opsec

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think I'll ever really move away from small-to-medium sized vehicles that offer you everything you need for a bachelor- or non-childhaving-relationship life and can be converted to solid stowing capacity with the flip of two seats.

There are exceptions (and they'll be sure to chime in about how they need to move 10 yards of gravel every other weekend), but for most people occasionally renting a vehicle with more storage is a lot more economical than owning one. Looking at you, 98% of pickup truck drivers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't getting a check with Trump's name on it a guarantee to have it bounce?

His MO is more refusing to pay, then dragging it out in court until his contractors settle for something because they need cash or they go out of business.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ASAPI posted:

I think it comes from two different things:

1. We are desensitized to death as a society.
2. I don't think people understand how many people 2-3% of the population is. If they used a "real" number, 6-9 million people, it might be different.

The general defense is that they meant a 2-3% increase in total mortality, not 2-3% of schoolchildren dead. So still 700-1000 extra deaths these ghouls are calling for, with plenty of room to go up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Really hoping whatever this idiocy is self-corrects itself.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It won't until covid effects all of their lives personally. People like that are very much ones that need proof on a personal scale before they realize they've been acting like clowns. If they even learn from that.

See also: evangelical preachers

That would be the aforementioned self-correction.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

I can only imagine how it must be now that the EPA gives no fucks but when I worked in the oilfield in the gulf of mexico in the late 90's the smaller platforms were always up to poo poo. I went to one every couple weeks that we always delivered a 55g drum of rig soap to (think like 4x concentrated Dawn detergent). They were always throwing soap around the rig to prevent the constant steady leaks of oil from making a slick which helicopters / boats could see and would have to report. This was a Whiting petroleum rig iirc but there were like 5 other ones that got to visit personally.

It's gotta be loving nuts out there now. The only reason they were even dumping soap back then was to not get an EPA fine.

Isn't the EPA specifically suspending any enforcement at the moment?

e: Yup:
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-announces-enforcement-discretion-policy-covid-19-pandemic

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Same in DC- when I last checked the stats within the past 48 hours, something like of nearly 100 deaths, 71 or so were black people.

Guess who's working "essential" jobs.

Also throw in a bonus of larger (number of people) and smaller (square feet of the residence) households.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 21, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Atlanta's hospitals were already at capacity due to the vid before this. The mayor of Atlanta said governor Kemp didn't so much as call her before deciding to open up the state.

My Atlanta based employer's response to the re-opening order was basically "that's nice, keep working at home".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

You must be mistaken, my friend. The US has never done anything wrong since our God-King Founding Fathers founded the nation

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1253478374695006209?s=20

We're going to spend tomorrow listening about how the liberal fake news media is treating poor Tucker Carlson unfairly, because actually he meant we only interned 100,000 Japanese.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

Apparently Hong Kong TV news is reporting KJU is dead. No other confirmation at this point.

quote:

United States President Donald Trump earlier this week threw more cold water on news reports suggesting North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was gravely ill, calling it "fake" news.

"I think the report was incorrect," Trump said at a White House briefing, adding that he heard the reporting was based on "old documents".

"We have a good relationship with North Korea, I have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un, and I hope he's okay. And I think it was a fake report," Trump added.

The president was evasive when asked by a reporter when the last time was that he made contact with Kim.

"I don't want to say. I won't say that. We have a good relationship with North Korea, as good as you can have," he said.

quote:

"I think it was a fake report done by CNN," Mr Trump said at a daily briefing on the coronavirus pandemic, before refusing to take further questions from a journalist of the network.

That's as much verification as I need that he's actually dead.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

we may have helped a bunch of nazis escape justice but on the other hand we used them to get people to the moon on time so there's no way to know whether it was good or bad

Mostly we used them to hang the Sword of Damocles over the world, the space program was just PR for ICBMs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1234615984880640001
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1234653427789070336
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1254477490678104064

Check the dates.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

... he's retweeting himself? That is just wrong.

He retweets himself constantly, but he's doing our equivalent of quoting himself in a new post there. Which he also does regularly.

e: for example,

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

fifty-four thousand dead in the us

Yesterday had nearly half the deaths as the day before, but there was also a large drop the previous Sunday. Could be a delay in reporting on weekends.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/politics/lakers-ppp-small-business/index.html

quote:

The Lakers, applied for and received a $4.6 million loan via the Paycheck Protection Program. The Lakers who are valued at $4.4 billion.
The Lakers maintain a full- and part-time staff of just over 300 workers, which, technically, makes them eligible for a PPP loan.

For every high-profile company that got shamed into giving money bank, there are dozens of private "small" businesses with no public visibility just gleefully "borrowing" millions that which will probably never be seen again. Can't waste a crisis.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

food production and distribution is absolutely critical infrastructure, which is why everyone who does it should be paid and treated like royalty

Meat isn't critical. If anything, shutting down meat processing means more grain is available so those operations can be scaled back as well.

facialimpediment posted:

Pence is a complete loving idiot and he's only made to look smart by being in the proximity of Donnie and being able to form coherent sentences.

https://twitter.com/nicholaswu12/status/1255201234115612673?s=19

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol no. If we shut down meat processing everyone's daily calorie and protein needs wouldn't be instantly met with silage. It's taking weeks to months to shift toilet paper and flour production just from commercial to consumer use.

No one in the US is going to go hungry even in the imaginary worst case scenario of all meat production shutting down overnight. There's more than enough excess capacity of calories without any changes, and in the long run there's a huge amount of US farmland dedicated just to feeding animals that can be repurposed.

Declaring meat processing plants critical even as everyone inside is getting sick is being done because the meat processing industry asked for it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

People go hungry right now in the US, many of them children. Don't make sweeping generalizations.

Almost universally because their families can't afford the food, not because there aren't enough calories being produced by US agriculture and food processing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

That's not what you said though.

It is though. "People will go hungry" is not a good reason to force meatpacking workers to risk what is, by all accounts, a wildy increased risk of coronavirus infction. People are going hungry in the US due to a lack of money, not because the food isn't there to buy. Industry has the capacity to provide the calories required with or without meat if the government is willing to make people not going hungry a priority. The only reason the administration is declaring meat processing facilities essential is because their owners make political contributions and don't want to lose money by shutting down production just because their labor force is dropping like flies.

Godholio posted:

When there is less food available, prices will go up.

People on the ragged edge of being able to afford food prices now will go hungry.

Edit: Not making the case that meat is critical infrastructure.

So increase food assistance instead of forcing minimum wage workers to risk their lives.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 29, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

joat mon posted:

How about we make the changes to get that extra capacity to the people who need the calories before we change everyone to a vegetarian diet?
I mean, I'm happy the sun has an excess capacity of photons without any changes, but let's help people not freeze to death before we make them take the Great Leap Forward to solar.

Well then, in that case there's no alternative to forcing people to die in meat processing plants for minimum wage. Even as someone who eats meat, it's amazing the extent that people would prefer that (other, poorer) people die for their dietary preferences instead of eating some lentils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is the the first time anyone else had heard that someone other than Putin/Medvedev has been the PM in the past decade?