Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

Not everyone gets that scene. Some get Tifa and a lucky few get Barrett.

I saw all the scenes as I was working on getting the platinum trophy, and I have to say, the Barrett scene was surprisingly touching! They do a really good job in this game of making their relationship feel like it’s organically developing, especially in a world where Barrett is the only person in all of Midgar who isn’t incapacitated by being horny for Cloud.

The Tifa scene is significantly more subtle than the Aerith scene, and I’m really curious what happens to their relationship in a world where Aerith doesn’t die. Will it get even more complicated when Zack shows up alive? Has Aerith been walking on eggshells and going out of her way to be nice to Tifa and trying to push Cloud away because she doesn’t want to get in the way of the “canon” relationship?

But man, the VAs just really kill it in all of these scenes. Cloud telling Aerith “I’m coming for you” is pitch perfect, it’s got all of Cloud’s cockiness and cheesy teenageness and I love it. And her whole “If that’s how you feel” thing, ugh.

When does the next one come out again?

e: new page tax: https://twitter.com/red_apam/status/1262653797228089355?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

new gam https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1289831996156387329

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1290911691983556608

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

2022 is pretty optimistic.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Gologle posted:

Aeris kicks the poo poo out of any character in FF13, plz dont compare them

I just want to say I love Aerith in this game and if Sephiroth shanks her again I'll riot. Tifa who?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I just want to say I love Aerith in this game and if Sephiroth shanks her again I'll riot. Tifa who?

The twist: Tifa dies instead of Aerith causing even more timeline fuckery

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I am expecting Sephiroth to realize how badly killing Aerith the first time sabotaged his plans, so he's like "Well I'll kill Tifa then because gently caress you, Cloud"

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

rko posted:

But man, the VAs just really kill it in all of these scenes. Cloud telling Aerith “I’m coming for you” is pitch perfect, it’s got all of Cloud’s cockiness and cheesy teenageness and I love it. And her whole “If that’s how you feel” thing, ugh.

Cloud's "Don't I get a say?" at the end gets me every time.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

WaltherFeng posted:

The twist: Tifa dies instead of Aerith causing even more timeline fuckery

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... acceptable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tifa rules lamers

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

March 2022 probably would have been doable, with the direction of the series set and everyone just flowing straight from designing Midgar to designing the rest of the world. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least partially flesh out the new design of the wider world as part of the design process for this installment.

In the current circumstances? End of 2022 at a minimum, I'd say. But Square have to be aware that they can't keep the momentum going forever. It might have peaked here anyway, even if the rest of the games sell well, as there was a lot of fervour over them tackling a classic that can't be fully recaptured in a sequel.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Alternately the second game ends with Sephiroth swooping in for the Aerith kill, Cloud jumps in the way and dies. Cue literally years of speculation while everyone waits on the third game

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He'll kill Barrett, as he'll be spiteful that his first attempt* was thwarted

*Well, his clone or whatever's first attempt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth tries to kill Aeris again and bounces off her back. Cloud insisted on her wearing one of his swords on her back.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nah, a folding chair

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sephiroth remembers losing because he killed Aerith so instead he teams up with the group to kill time itself.

Toasterferret
Feb 20, 2013

If they kill Aerith again i'm gonna lose my mind. Her characterization in FF7R is so much better than the original.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Sephiroth remembers losing because he killed Aerith so instead he teams up with the group to kill time itself.

Perhaps through some sort of "kompression" if you will

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cloud can't make up his mind between Tifa Aeris and Jesse so they get skewered all at once in the Forgotten City like one big shipkebab.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Asterite34 posted:

Perhaps through some sort of "kompression" if you will

Aerith, Tifa, and Jesse get fused into one person through Sephiroth’s time kompression. It’s Lightning.

FFVIIR vs FFXIII: Lightning Returns Again I Guess

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aerith goes to pray to the planet but instead of asking for Holy she fuses with it early and dies. Sephiroth stabs her, she falls and then gets right back up. 'Can't kill what's already dead!' And now she's immortal like Kaim from Lost Odyssey and that's a new mechanic for the rest of the game. If Aerith 'dies' in battle leave her alone long enough and she'll auto revive.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

They ever explain why Cloud didn’t throw some pheonix down on her?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

dkj posted:

The standard explanation is that the status in battle is called "KO" or "Incapacitated" and Phoenix Downs (or the Revive materia) have never been able to resurrect the dead in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

The standard explanation is that the status in battle is called "KO" or "Incapacitated" and Phoenix Downs (or the Revive materia) have never been able to resurrect the dead in the first place.

Yeah, generally the idea behind Phoenix Down/life/etc isn't that you die but that you are badly wounded/on the verge of death and Phoenix Down is necessary to counter that.

Sephiroth presumably just got Aerith through the spine and welp.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I noticed they kinda drew attention to it in the remake as being KO. Never noticed it in the original.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My FF nerd is showing but even in Final Fantasy 5 a main character dies and they try using Life and Phoenix down on them in the cutscene and they are "too dead"
In FF Tactics a phoenix down will bring a recently "killed" character back to life but if you wait too long they are dead forever and they stop working.

Even the original FF7 had attacks you couldn't phoenix down through - Ruby Weapon swallowed up 2 characters and you couldn't revive them. They popped out fine after the battle though

Having your whole party "knocked out" just implies that the next step is the enemies now kill you because you can't fight back

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

dkj posted:

she hadn't rejoined the party yet

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Presumably biggs had a phoenix down used on him though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Admittedly this just makes it even funnier that such items and spells will instantly kill the undead.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Admittedly this just makes it even funnier that such items and spells will instantly kill the undead.

They're just allergic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Some important BACKGROUND LORE from an interview with Toriyama.

quote:

Cloud's mother and Tifa's father weren't given names in the original FFVII, but how about in REMAKE?

Toriyama: They both had names in the original FFVII character design documents, so we decided to use them in REMAKE. Now Cloud's mother is officially named Claudia and Tifa's father is Brian. Tifa's dad, however, has no dialog in REMAKE, so during development we referred to him as "dead body."

Harsh.

quote:

What's up with the Shinra trooper who's tasked with being Scarlet's pet- or whatever he is? Is that a shift-based position or is there someone who does it exclusively?

Toriyama: He is not Scarlet's pet, but a specially chosen soldier who's assigned to be her footrest and help ensure her feet never get swollen, and who's fittingly enough named "Ottoman." Ottoman's back has a unique cushiony softness to it that Scarlet is quite fond of, so his is basically an on-call position. He is apparently even made to wait outside Scarlet's room while she sleeps.

This is deep and important lore that was frankly irresponsible of them to leave out of the game. I hope Ottoman gets more backstory in Part 2.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Schwartzcough posted:

Some important BACKGROUND LORE from an interview with Toriyama.

Harsh.

This is deep and important lore that was frankly irresponsible of them to leave out of the game. I hope Ottoman gets more backstory in Part 2.

This tidbit is important to know later when it turns out Ottoman intentionally drops the key for Tifa in the Junon gas chamber in part whatever, just to get back at Scarlet.

I'd also settle for that part getting changed to Roche crashing through the wall of it for no explicit reason.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Actually Roche will be the one to get into a slapfight with Scarlet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was going to suggest that Roche might come undone by the Sister Ray due to his inability to drive in a straight line to the end of the cannon, but he'll just drive around the circumference of the outside of the barrel to the end, no trouble there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took the past 3 days to finally beat this game.
Live notes:

Ch3
Cloud going to his miserable home is amazing, the contrast between this anime-rear end character and his apartment smaller than a cheap motel bathroom is perfect.
Good lord, the padding. And the trash mobs die so fast I don't even get to practice.
lol @ the darts minigame
Man this chapter sure is taking its sweet everloving time

Ch4
What the hell
I love the walk simulator. I love everything about it. I love the fleshing out of Jessie and co's backstories
Cloud is hot
Wow, ch4 is like an entire game. Or a DLC, idk
lol at Jessie "pay in full"
Badass cloud is so hot
I changed the language to English. I really wish I could have JP Cloud but as funny as Roche is, his JP Dub is a little bit too much for me

Ch5
This was really boring. Nice boss fight though.

Ch6
This was extremely exhausting. I like this area in the original a lot but this was just too much. I thought the fan puzzle was solved with equipping elemental-wind in the armor.

Ch7
Oookay. Again, I didn't like the floor climbing keycard sidequest in the slightest.
I like when they look at the camera and tell us to our faces, "we are all totally coming back safe", lol.
I loved the Air Buster fight.

Ch8
I just skipped all the sidequests I don't have time for this
thank you game for making my life easier after failing so much at not waking aeris up
I love cloud's face palm when he fails at being quiet.
Aeriths mom is the hottest character in this game so far unironically, also the only woman who looks like a human being

Ch9
Wall market music sounds like it's the BG for a 2d sonic circus level
Chadley throws me off the game so much lol. "Oh hi Cloud. I expect more videogamey results". Like he doesn't even pretend to be surprised at seeing me. Oh hey there's VR. I'm disappointed Shiva didn't say "They have Ifrit?!".
Holy lmao at madam m's deluxe course. Haaaahahaha.
Okay I thought the two sweepers would be hard
Wait hahahahh there's a hell house here, this is too much. "Marry me Aerith" haha. "A...house?" I swear what the hell is this game

What the gently caress will this boss ever die.
I'm glad I didn't wipe here because that was 24 min of me sucking and I was not looking forward to an encore.
Did I just make madam M one million gil, like give me 10k or something
"Your friend fought a house? A house?" ahahhahahahahhahah

I'm in honey bee inn
Completely unrelated to the game, this place gives me bad flashbacks

What am I seeing

what did I just see

lol at chadley
"NAILED IT. THANK YOU. I KNOW. MOVING ON." haha

Ch10
The panoramic view of the puzzle area gave me ch6 vibes but this chapter is actually short

Ch11
This place is gorgeous. The lighting, the fog, everything here is absolutely gorgeous.
Ok do I really need to go into this factory
Following this game's logic the final boss here is Eligor
Wait no I hate this ghoul fight so much, the pathfinding is terrible. This is the worst.
Are you loving kidding me that there's a third biome to this place.
Haaaaaaaaaaahahaha it was Eligor. I bet next chapter bosses will be the two turks because we've already been introduced to fighting them individually

Ch12
Oh my god I do not need to go find marlene
Yup it's the two turks instead of just Reno.

Ch13
What the actual gently caress. Is this out of Dirge of Cerberus?
This chapter made no sense

Ch 14
Are you loving kidding me that I have to do the sewers again
Holy poo poo the sahagins are the hardest boss in the game
Lmao I took the final 1/3 of Aps as solo tifa
tifa owns

Ch 15
Yup skipping all the sidequests. This whole game is a bit too much. These robot trash mobs take so long.
Not as impressive as before but also took the last 10% of the boss' hp as solo Tifa, bless her heart.

Ch 16
This jumping minigame is silly.
I like that this chapter doesn't have trash mobs so far
I climbed up the stairs.
I'm happy to see they kept H5012 as easy in the remake as it is in the original

Ch17
Tifa's reaction to Red XIII's explanation about fate being immediate existential crisis is great.
This dungeon goes on for way too loving long.
Jenova Dreamweaver, what the gently caress kind of name is that (Edit: I saw that her name in JP is Jenova Beat and that makes a lot more sense)
Sick musical plot twist
How does one fight Rufus properly he blocks everything, I just rolled to max range and spammed Firagas

Ch18
I'm profoundly disappointed not to see Roche here, what the actual hell.
What the gently caress
This is too... wow this kinda took me out of the game. I was digging the changes but this seems so out of place and random. It's like someone trained a neural network to produce an FF final dungeon/boss.
Why am I killing Dormammu and why do I have to beat power ranger villains to do that
Oh of course the final fight is vs. Sephiroth how did I not see that one coming
Ok I'm done, 31 hours 42 minutes.

Total Game Overs:
One to Aps #2, One to Eligor, and a bunch to 3x Sahagins.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 17, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
To answer your question about Rufus, you can only hit him when he is reloading

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks. It's a good thing that the ranged boss with two guns, lasers and what else can't actually do ranged damage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elentor posted:

This is too... wow this kinda took me out of the game. I was digging the changes but this seems so out of place and random. It's like someone trained a neural network to produce an FF final dungeon/boss.
Why am I killing Dormammu and why do I have to beat power ranger villains to do that

the penultimate boss of ff7r is the original ff7

WaltherFeng posted:

To answer your question about Rufus, you can only hit him when he is reloading

this also isn't true, braver or the big stab skill (forget its name) always connect and knock him off his feet, proccing his stagger bar. hitting him in the middle of a reload gives you a huge stagger bonus though

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should have been a gigantic Sakaguchi face, with Kitase adds floating around. Occasionally Nomura shows up and draws a zip line for you to move around the arena.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Sahagins get a lot easier once you firaga their asses, but yeah, they're one of the hardest regular enemies imo. the Prince Sahagin fight on hard took me an unreasonable number of tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm kind of surprised that Elentor, biggest stan of FF7 on these forums, was put off by parts of FF7r. I expected it to be a huge success with him personally.