Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

So I'm playing through the chapters in order again, and something I still haven't wrapped my head around 100% is why in Remake, Avalanche initially decides not to take Cloud on the Reactor 5 bombing mission, versus the original, where Cloud's included on the Reactor 5 team from the beginning (if I remember right). In Remake Jessie mentions that it's because they didn't want to put so much on Cloud, that it was Avalanche's fight.

Could it have been because Cloud brings up 'invisible enemies' during the train ride back from the first bombing mission, and that makes Avalanche wonder if Cloud's going crazy? That would be the only meaningful divergence that Avalanche had seen up to that point. Otherwise a lot of the differences between original and Remake can be directly or indirectly tied back to interventions by Sephiroth/the Whispers.

Of course, this could have all been spelled out in one of the interviews that's been published, and I've just missed it.

---

It is interesting playing through Remake from beginning to end again, having read all the additional info and interpretation that has come out in the last three months, as well as re-reading up on the original. For example, Tifa's reaction to Cloud saying it's been five years since they've seen each other, or all the times Cloud gets his cognitive dissonance headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

I'm continuing to re-play through the chapters, and I noticed a couple things that hadn't registered my first time through:
  • At the beginning of Chapter 8, when Aerith tells Cloud about her 'useless' materia, Cloud has a vision of her death from the original game (I don't know why this didn't jump out at me my first time through, maybe I was looking at my phone or something?)
  • When Cloud and Aerith leave Sector 5 at the beginning of Chapter 9, Cloud has another headache-vision. He doesn't see anything unusual, but the first few notes of the Lifestream theme play.
Up until then I'd thought that Cloud's headaches were only triggered by seeing or hearing something that invoked his repressed memories, but this could either tie in with:
  • OG Aerith in the Lifestream is reaching out to Cloud; or
  • The whole 'Whispers are WEAPONS' thing, where Whispers are the planet's way of controlling fate, and the Whispers are giving Cloud visions in addition to directly intervening.
I almost wanted to lump in Cloud's visions from when he's falling after the Airbuster fight (where he talks to another version of himself), but compared to all the other visions he has, these are probably just regular ol' unconscious dreaming.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Onmi posted:

The second time, it's because it's literally the same framing and composition of Aerith departing in the Ancient Forest.

Oh dang, I never would have made that connection! That would explain why a tear rolls down his cheek, too.

Man, I'm super looking forward to Part 2.