Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just finished it and what a loving trip man. I’m glad they are going bonkers rear end direction. I would also love to have an updated graphics of the original as well. Can’t wait to see how they really gently caress with the original, if they end up saving Aerith then they are going to need something to really gently caress with our heartstrings.

Characters were really good, with as much trouble as the production had it shouldn’t have been as good as it was.

I’m honestly surprised it’s going it’s own direction in reference to the original. It’s a bold choice and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love the changes, there’s no point in just remaking it beat for beat cause you could just put prettier textures on the original game to achieve the same effect. Nomura has been on record saying there’s no point in doing it beat for beat. The only thing I worry about is him doing his garbage Kingdom Hearts poo poo and just making everything batshit crazy only he himself understands.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The internet is bad. Besides the game is going to sell a bajillion copies so it doesn’t matter who likes it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I honestly just want better textures and models for the original and the remake can be it’s own thing. Both can exist.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

In the original game all the characters were bad about speaking their feelings. Aerith knew it was bullshit, Tifa knew it was bullshit. Neither one said a thing to Cloud. It’s mostly just to set up the reveal of zack late in the original game. It sounds like Zack was a late edition to the original which is why it’s out of the way and doesn’t get much explanation until the spinoff stuff.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s Nomura. He’s gonna go batshit kingdom hearts within a game. Be prepared to organization Shinra with 13 Sephiroth clones.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rubrum is Murbur spelled backwards. Makes you think.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they want to get it out within the next ten years I’d imagine it will be very linear still.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Harrow posted:

I dunno, I think people underestimate what Square-Enix can do when they actually buckle down and develop things. The really long development cycles tend to happen because things get stuck in preproduction hell for ages as they spin their wheels and try out tons of different approaches. That's why FF7R Part 1 took five years--the actual development of the part we got probably only took two and a half or three years at most because they ditched Cyberconnect2's version two years in. Same for FFXV, which spent about seven years in preproduction with concepts being developed and thrown out before Tabata came in. Then it took three years to develop the actual game we got.

Unless FF7R somehow tumbles into the "reconceptualize the entire project" stage, I think even an "open environments" version of part 2 wouldn't necessarily take a huge amount of time for them to develop. I wouldn't expect them to totally rewrite and restructure the story to make it a Witcher-style open world or anything, but I also don't think they'd necessarily have to take a hundred years to make bigger environments or even an FFXV-sized world. (Actually I wouldn't be surprised if "make areas with a lot more open space" is actually less work than making sure every area is a tightly-designed linear experience with unique puzzle mechanics and assets like FF7R part 1 often has. One reason open world games are as common as they are is that "just make more space the player has to move through" is one of the easiest ways to pad out a game's length.)

Yea but square enix’s track record seems to indicate they will take a million years on a project unless it’s very small in scale. I think everyone and their dog expected this game to be very mediocre and was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. That’s not a good sign for them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’ll just have to shimmy between a ton of conveniently placed boulders going to the next corridor.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think it helps that they had a whole game to crib story from without a whole lot of change.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did Nomura say why the game was so long? You could probably chunk off 10 to 15 hours easily. I guess he wanted to make sure people felt like it was a full game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

2022 is pretty optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sephiroth remembers losing because he killed Aerith so instead he teams up with the group to kill time itself.