Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean I liked the Rebuild snd felt like it has been mostly well received. Though Eva's original tv and movie endings were extremely divisive to start with (hence why we got a movie redoing the ending and then a series of movies doing it again be) so it has the advantage of there being a built in chunk of the fanbase that hated the original and first remake's endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

Really, even if this isn't a sequel masquerading as a remake, it does look like it might be leaning way too hard on "the player knows everything that's going to happen so we need to tease them with the Big Things they're excited to see" to the point that it might be alienating for someone who has never played FF7. I hope that's not the case but it would be pretty disappointing it it ended up going that way.

As for the Rebuild of FFVII theory, if nothing else I think it would actually be cool if each game had a different "Re" name. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something like that. And if they do go with this being a "Rebuild" situation, I hope it's subtle plot changes, things that hint at "things are going a little differently this time," and not something that totally upends the entire plot, like Aerith surviving and things like that.

I mean if part 2 gets to the Aerith dies scene and Sephiroth instead destroys or steals holy instead and it ends with Aerith freaking out instead of Cloud. Hell maybe all the future visions are a trick by Sephiroth to fool Cloud into stopping Aerith's sacrifice and accidentally dooming the world. That could be interesting.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean to me the mere existence of the Watchmen says things are gonna derail hard. We are all aboard the Rebuild train

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, to me that means things are going how they are supposed to

You don't introduce ghosts to keep the future on track if you're gonna keep the future on track. That's loving stupid. If things don't change you just do it the same. I know Nomura has a rep but I don't think he's that incompetent.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol no sorry, I meant things ARENT going how they are supposed to

Oh lol sorry for snapping at you then.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I don't have a lot of faith in them not seriously loving up the major plots stuff with something this ambitious (and some stuff changed in this is already a little blugh) but the small scale writing of like characters interacting with each other is so endearing and everything on the gameplay and aesthetics side is 10/10 so I'm not sure I'm going to care that much even if they really screw the pooch.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Someone mentioned you can save Avalanche. Is that just what happens or can you screw it up? Kinda don't want them to die

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

It’s also the best localization square has ever done and from what I hear the original script is kind of bland by comparison.

Yeah like Omni said, the Japanese fans actually complained and asked for them to make the JP version more like the English localisation after bilingual Japanese players hyped it up so much so now they're more in line.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So wait does Avalanche live or was that also bullshit?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm all down for changes so far honestly. My main worry is Square is pretty hit and miss, especially when it comes to adding new stuff to old things. Like hell the Ardyn dlc for FF15 that kinda shat on a lot of the cooler stuff in that game for a recent example. And the original Compilation. What we've got so far is great but I can't alleviate the worry that they'll poo poo the bed hard later. But like what I've seen of the changed and expanded stuff so far has been great, so I should probably worry less but they have kind of earned a lack of faith here I think.

Gameplay is impeccable though. Give me some more of that any time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah the meta stuff is a bit weird but like adaptations of old things changing stuff up is like. A fundamental part of stories? See king Arthur. Or Sherlock Holmes. Or any given folktale that gets infinite retellings and variations. They aren't less real, that's insane mate.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If we're doing speculation for the next game, I'm guessing we get a split party at one point. Cloud on one side. Zack on the other. Maybe Yuffie and Vincent roll with Zack?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Bee posted:

Didn't the (EVA spoilers): Rebuild of Evangelion basically do the exact same thing? Shinji mans up, averts one tragedy, but causes an even bigger one?

Maybe? He causes a huge amount of people to die... but like compared to what happens in the original that he stops it might be an improvement? Now in universe no one knows that so he's just the guy that got 99% of humanity killed.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

My opinion about FF7 is that it's actually underrated in some ways and that some of the core plot stuff surrounding Cloud is good and unique for a JRPG like this. I wasn't a big fan of it when I originally played it as a teenager, but in retrospect it's good. It's particularly interesting finding out that Tifa is aware that Cloud is basically mentally ill for much of the game and fabricated this whole past of him being the badass SOLDIER when he was actually just some random employee/non-capital-letter soldier and his buddy was the SOLDIER.

Why are you spoilering the original in this thread of all places lmao.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Little bummed that there's no FF15 style fishing, but I get it being set in Midgar. They better add it to the next one where you're wandering all over the wilderness though.:argh:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd be down for Sephiroth being around so much if they made his appearances more varied. Some are good, I liked the one where he shows up in Cloud's dream after Airbuster, but most are kinda the same thing. They shoulda had fun with it, like have a Sephiroth memorial where the statue starts talking to Cloud or have him show up on TVs or in the back of crowd scenes and poo poo. Or have one of the radios have a recording of him playing and it's normal the first few times, then like later in the game the recording diverts to talking directly to Cloud.

Or just rip off the Majima everywhere system and Cloud has to fight Sephiroth constantly in increasingly bizarre circumstances. I dunno.

PT6A posted:

This game are great.

It threads the needle between nostalgia and novelty in the way that the Star Wars sequels failed to do. Everything is familiar, but also new and, goddamn, I am here for it. Also, hard agree that Cloud needs to get some. What the gently caress, devs? Let him get his bone on fer gently caress sake.

JBP posted:

I was very mad at his responses to Jessie just wanting to get laid. Do the right thing you dickhead.

I mean he kinda does get his gently caress on in the original game, eventually, depending on your affection with Tifa.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Dave posted:

Huge omission from all these explanations: Cloud and Tifa gently caress outside before the final battle and everyone watches on The Highwind.

The funniest part is that includes Red XIII who I imagine kept asking awkward questions about human biology.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Clarste posted:

I felt like the changes to the whole bloodtrail sequence leading up to a dead Shinra were significantly worse than the original though.

Yeah this is straight up the one thing I think is clearly worse and a bad decision.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gonna be honest I'm not getting into comparative morality of ecoterrorism vs being the secret police for a megacorp (but Avalanche did nothing wrong and this would be true even if they had loving nuked Midgar off the goddamn map) but the thing is, I liked the Turks as goofy comedic villains in the original cause they didn't kill anyone I cared about. The remake, they did too good a job making me like the individual members of Avalanche, so I no longer have an interest in the Turks as bumbling ex-villains, I want blood for Jesse. :unsmigghh:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I have two big hopes for the next games.

- fishing ala FF15

- Sephiroth apparition on the beach at Costa del Sol. In a budgie smuggler maybe.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

X_Toad posted:

... drat. I had forgotten how stupid big Barret is in the cutscenes. Seriously, he feels bigger than the car!

He's too big to drive it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly I don't think the plot is even the problem with KH's writing. It's the stilted rear end dialogue and moment to moment writing that brings it down for me. I'm not sure if it's Disney lawyers breathing down their necks, it's just got Square's shittiest writers or if it's a localisation issue; or some combo of the three but it just feels so trite and joyless.

Also the gameplay is way too floaty or something.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 18, 2020