Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
obviously they're going to kill off Cait Sith

again

for a second time, each death more heartbreaking and dramatic than the last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
can you just imagine what Midgarzolom is going to be like. there had better be some kind of chase sequence on a chocobo with it just wrecking poo poo on the way

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't know why Vino thinks going a new direction would turn off new fans who have no connection to the original story. there are a lot of people alive today who never played the original (a lot of prime gaming age people weren't even alive when it came out), and I don't think group 2 is as large as they think.

also did I miss a Jessie scene in the end? I only saw Biggs

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I mean people still call XV a failure when it was like the fastest selling entry in the series or something so people love to just hate post unfounded opinions like they're facts

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm hoping they will expand on the whole Wutai section of the game and I think they will given all the setup here. And hopefully tie more of Yuffie's character into that plotline so that she doesn't feel so ancillary to the main story.

I mean, they had to in the original since she was completely optional. was that the last FF game with optional characters? Quina was optional for a while, but you had to pick them up eventually

I want to see Barret and Red XIII in the sailor outfits on the boat, and I want to see Gold Saucer in all its wonderful, gaudy glory. I hope they still have a bunch of lovely minigames. and I'm psyched for Cosmo Canyon and Wutai, cause those are two of my favourite locations in the original

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Vino posted:

They treated the fact that they would be throwing out the plot of the original game as a secret plot twist that people discover while playing. Thus they hid the fact that they're making a divergent game with a possibly radically different plot. They said there would be new surprises, they didn't say it would be the start of a completely different thing. Fans who expected an improved version of the original with the plot more or less intact were surprised. Handling it better would have been announcing beforehand that "Remake" is closer to "Reboot" than "Remastering" and that there would be major differences in plot.

edit: I have work to do I'm going to chill out with my posting here.

there's no evidence that it's going to be a completely different thing. there's speculation. the first section and the major plot beats therein are pretty much the same as the original. they're still hunting Sephiroth. Shinra is still bad. they blew up the reactors. Aerith is trying to stop Sephiroth and Red XIII was never more than just along for the ride until Cosmo Canyon anyway. Tifa is following because she has nowhere else to go and wants to follow Cloud, and Barret has always been about protecting the planet and Sephiroth is a threat to the planet.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MoaM posted:

~~~~SOME POSTS LATERRR~~~~

that sure is speculation, alright.

I'm not saying they're NOT going to change things. I'm saying acting like we know what they're going to change/not change at this point and judging them for it is dumb.

I'm in the camp of people who will be absolutely fine if they change the story beats, but I'm not going to pretend to know how much they're going to deviate from the original

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I hope they make Yuffie as fun to fight with as they did Tifa

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Zack is going to follow the party all the way to the Temple of Ancients on a canoe he carves by hand and then he's going to walk up behind Aerith to surprise her right as Sephiroth drops from the ceiling.

that didn't happen at the Temple, it happened at the Forgotten City, you fool. you utter buffoon.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Is it bad I literally preemptively cringed reading this line?

My God they dropped the ball so loving hard on that series....

if by dropped the ball you mean turned the crazy anime poo poo up to 11 in the best way

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Before the game came out I thought Leslie and Roche were dumb additions. I bought and finished the game, and now I wish the game had more Leslie and Roche.

The ending is a mind-bender, seems like they branched off into a different timeline. I hope the rest of the story still tries to follow the original, somewhat. So many good setpieces in the original that would look amazing in a modern day remake

I feel like a lot of the main set pieces/elements will end up being the same/similar overall, but the end results/little details might change. like they'll probably still have to hitch a ride at Junon, but I don't see Cloud doing CPR or jumping off the dolphin. and they'll go to the temple, but maybe Sephiroth won't get the black materia because they decide to leave it there or something

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
speaking of Aerith and the plate, I was replaying chapters and forgot about the line she has in chapter 9 about how she doesn't like the collapsed section between sectors 5 and 6 because you can still see the sky since they're still rebuilding the plate overhead

I thought that was a neat detail to notice post-ending

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

also it's funny that they're called the Zanarkand Abes despite the fact that they play in a league that only contains teams from Zanarkand, which as far as anyone who lives in it knows is literally the only city that exists

I mean, if it's really the dreams of the original people from Zanarkand, they do know other cities exist because they were at war with Bevelle at some point. the opening match is probably like the Yankees playing the Mets

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BillyC posted:

It has the smell of Nomura all over it, its so off from the feel of the rest of the game.

it will never cease to amaze me how much Nomura gets the blame for everything anyone doesn't like about this series, even in contexts where it absolutely wasn't his job, just because he went through a belt phase with his character design and SE had/has a terrible management structure

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

anakha posted:

At what point was the 'don't fall in love with me' scene between Cloud and Aerith occur and what replaced it? Wanted to know what chapters I need to replay to get that result.

it's one of the chapter 14 ends I think, but it depends on your choices from earlier chapters

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

JBP posted:

Barret screaming "I'm here to take the load off your shoulders!!!!" at the train station made me love him. He's the heart and soul.

things like this and the song he sings when you sidetrack to get the Chocobo summon are why I love him

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I mean I can actually sympathize with that reaction. My gut feeling - my initial reaction - to seeing Whisper Harbinger and then battling Sephiroth was "... oh Tetsuya nooooo." I was on board with changing the game, and even some of the more "radical" changes struck me as really cool (anyone who complains about Jenova Dreamweaver is loving crazy, I'm sorry, they just are). My issues weren't that things were being changed, it was that I abruptly became super concerned that Nomura was gonna Nomura all over this title, and after Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III I was all done with that poo poo. I wanna get off Nomura's wild ride. The dude loving sucks as a scenario writer; Advent Children is on his doorstep, as is the aforementioned Kingdom Hearts III, and while it's tough to tell exactly where all of the blame for how butchered FFXV became lies, precisely, I felt pretty confident that his influence didn't help.

But he's listed as a director and concept designer/character designer and not the scenario writer for Final Fantasy VII Remake, which I think corralled his bugfuck tendencies and tempered them some, and when he has someone else around to edit him ("No, Tetsuya, we're not doing that dumb poo poo") he's cranked out works I enjoy, even really love (The World Ends With You, Crisis Core, the first two numbered Kingdom Hearts games). It took a little bit for me to digest what I think they were trying, but after I got it, I was like, "Okay, big risk, I respect that, let's see where it goes." And my disappointment eventually gave way to hype. They fuckin' nailed so much of this goddamn game my friends. Like...

And anyway I think I realized that a lot of my misgivings were, as it seems they chiefly are among the Very Mad crowd, about what I think is probably going to happen, or where things could go, instead of what FF7R actually is, which is a triumphant love letter to my favorite game of all time. Let's be clear: there is at least a coin flip's chance that the sequel games are worse than what a closer remake would've given us. But there's also at least a coin flip's chance that the sequels are even better, or at least well-executed and different and satisfying. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt not because of KH3 or FFXV or TWEWY or whatever - I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt because of FF7R and that's it.

I know this was from a couple pages back, but why do people actively seek out reasons to poo poo on Nomura? like "I don't know what happened with FFXV but it was probably his fault"? what. this is a company who made him director of a project and didn't bother to tell him about it. he had like nothing to do with FFXV's final product--that was all Tabata, who they brought in to work on it to free up Nomura for KH3, probably. Nomura was never in a main story role for FF7 (that was Nojima and Kitase), so it's weird to think that he was going to somehow come in and ruin this.

Like I love Square-Enix, but their development cycles and project management are hosed and little to none of that is Nomura's fault, but he always gets the blame for it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

This explains so much. He's actively been trying to kill it but fans just kept eating it up.....my God

unless they have a different interview to cite, I think they're just talking out their rear end. He's said that he doesn't identify with Sora personally and instead is more like Ansem or Xehanort and that Sora is therefore kind of his "enemy". That's different than fantasising about killing Sora all day. I mean in one interview he said Sora was his favourite character and in 2018 he confirmed that he'd like to continue to tell Sora's story, so I don't know what they're talking about.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
replaying chapter 3 on hard and I hate this loving dog so much

e: complaining worked. got him next try

^^^^^^^^ my problem was he kept dodging the ice magic

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 23, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
can you just replay the sector 5 plate section to keep getting more elemental materia?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really messed up and in the replay where I did all quests I didn’t get the elemental materia and then I chapter selected out and now it’s not there anymore

Everything I read about Hard is “ok so I hope you have both elemental materia”

I think there's just one, isn't there?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I'd like to know what the gently caress is wrong with women in the FF7 world that they see what amounts to Dr. Mengele sans the hygiene and charm and think to themselves "Ah, yes that's a desirable mate right there." "The way he mutters to himself and stares unblinkingly off into the distance before giggling about the possibilities and breeding subjects. Hawt as fuuuuck."

it's the lab coat

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Kitase says no huge plot changes for future parts

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Aerith dies but then Cloud realises he has a maxed out Revival materia and just casts Arise

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I do like how little time it takes for Cloud to just accept the Aerith is coming with him when he's trying to sneak off to Sector 7. he learned in like an hour that there's no point in trying to tell her what to do

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

I mean I'm more interested in one where she shakes Tifa by the shoulders and then they make out but yeah, yours could work too.

Where's the Tifa/Aerith date option at Gold Saucer Square you cowards

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Ayyyyy! :hfive:

I'm so on board for this, I have no faith we're gonna get it but my God I would be so happy!

it took Cloud like four times to understand that Aerith wanted a high five while Tifa got it first try, js

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Andrast posted:

Just get him a wheelchair

Gold Saucer is definitely NOT wheelchair accessible

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imhotep posted:

Sry this is a dumb question that’s probably clearly answered in the game, but I missed it and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else mention it in here or any YouTube videos like that Easy Allies spoiler mode, but why does Aerith have to go with the Turks to Shinra willingly? And why does she if that’s the case? I mean I can imagine what would happen if she said no (mlb guys coming to pick all the flowers every night, etc) but I’m assuming the reason she has to go willingly for some weird Promised Land related reason or something like that..

they can't like torture the Promised Land out of her. if she doesn't cooperate, then they get nothing as far as they know (her mom died from their experiments and her subsequent escape attempt), which is why Hojo is talking about making her procreate so they can continue to experiment in case she won't/can't lead them there.

Onmi posted:

You're missing Gongaga. And they absolutely won't cut Costa Del Sol. The sheer fact the location made it into XIV pretty much confirms in my head that there's no way they'll skip it.

nothing even happens at Gongaga, other than finding out Rude has a crush on Tifa (no surprise--everyone has a crush on Tifa), so they don't really need to go there

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still don't actually understand the mechanics of the Rufus fight. His dog has a weird tether that randomly seemed to break (a distance thing?) and my strategy was to just kill the dog first and then wear Rufus down until I could limit break him to death. I saw someone mention hitting him during his reload animation but I have no idea how that's even possible because if you don't block his shots you get knocked down but if you do block them you don't recover fast enough to actually hit him during the reload animation, and they can't be dodged as far as I could tell.

there are certain moves, like his dual coin laser show, that are pretty easy to dodge. kind of up in the air whether he'll reload after, but that's your chance to take a shot at it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

Another translated quote from the Ultimania says they actually are considering doing more frequent, but shorter, sequels

"If we divide the story into large parts, it’ll take longer to make," he said. "If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster.

"I hope to release the next one ASAP."

Can't wait for FF7R: Part 10 in 2041

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Third line:

Bugenhagen
"Holy... the ultimate White Magic. Magic that might stand against Meteor. Perhaps our last hope to save the planet from Meteor.
If a soul seeking Holy reaches the planet, it will appear.
Ho Ho Hooo.
Meteor, Weapon, everything will disappear.
Perhaps, even ourselves."

FFVII's translation was so god-awful I'm not willing to say that it's not also just as likely that "reach" is figurative, like the planet has to accept/approve whoever casts Holy--you don't get to just summon it whenever

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

"we need to cross to the north continent but wutai's radars would pick up our planes and think we are attacking. we need your crappy cardboard plane to cross undetected"

there, ftfy in 2 sentences

also, they had helicopters in the original, but they're probably not good for crossing oceans

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
people complaining about not knowing what materia to bring into any particular battle confuse me because you can literally just restart any of them right away once you see "oh, these robots are using electric attacks. maybe I should slot for elemental armour with lightning". like you can keep grinding against it if you want, but if it bothers you, just take the ten seconds to restart and change your materia equips

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've said it once and I'll say it again: people love blaming Nomura for every single thing they don't about a game, regardless of whether what they didn't like was even remotely related to his job. the guy's worst crime is adding too many belts to outfits sometimes but no somehow he's responsible for S-E's corporate structure and every bad part of a game that has ever happened.

like some person in this thread or the FF thread was blaming him for things in FFXV, a game that he had no hand in whatsoever after they actually started real development on it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I didn't really remember that Biggs died in the original because he was kind of inconsequential so it meant nothing to me to see him in a bed at the end. When the credits started rolling I was just like... "what?"

he dies (or very much appears to) in the game you just played, so that would be more you just not paying attention

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

me: *beats the game*

also me: ... what the hell's a manuscript?

if you still don't know, it's just something that gives one of your characters 10 SP, depending on which one it is

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I only have Chapter 18 left to beat on Hard but I am not loving looking forward to that last Sephiroth fight

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
they also didn't really have the money to pay Cloud for another mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Sahagins get a lot easier once you firaga their asses, but yeah, they're one of the hardest regular enemies imo. the Prince Sahagin fight on hard took me an unreasonable number of tries.