Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know how you can get through this game and come out thinking that the obvious love that went into everything was all a ruse and the designers actually don't care about FF7 at all.

E: Like, I get the ending turning people off the project and leaving a big negative impression. But saying that most of the game is there as a trick to mislead people into thinking the remake is something its not feels like it's just ignoring the obvious passion that went into everything about the game.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People bring up the whole "Nomura wanted Versus XIII to be a musical" thing as if that isn't actually incredibly badass but unfortunately I don't think it's true at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Look, sometimes it's been six years since your big announcement trailer, and you see Les Mis and get inspired!

(https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical)

I wish that interview was linked in the article because the only source I could find for it doesn't mention musicals at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like "The Arbiters of Fate" are a thing not to justify the changes but half because the creators want to get meta with it and half so that when changes do happen they're a direct result of the actions of the cast and player. So it's not that Biggs and Wedge survive Midgar this time but that you save them (by killing these dang ghosts).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's going to happen and there will also be a Zack vs Cloud boss fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulva posted:

Also they were together for nine seconds when she was 17 and then the next 5 years of her life happened so, you know, not exactly a love affair for the ages.

Sounds like Cloud and Tifa when you put it like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

Their allegorical role is significantly more important than their diegetic role, though, and I'm not sure why it's a "gross, bad take" when... that's exactly what the Whispers are. They represent purist fans who do not want to see anything changed, or at least the pressures to not change anything that was successful, even if you think it could be improved. So.

I really don't think the ghosts represent the fans. If you really want to take it down that route surely they would be more representative of potential Squeenix higher ups that don't want to greenlight any radical changes, because unlike fans they'd have actual real power in controlling the narrative. If the ghosts were the fans their whole deal of being able to have actual physical effects on the world doesn't really fit.

Regardless though, I don't think this is a particularly accurate reading.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

I really just want a great big dive into how much Zack surviving changes the cast's personality. Like, if he actually made it to Midgar dragging Cloud along, that should fundamentally change *everything*. Cloud can't exactly go into a delusional Zack cosplay if Zack is still there. Tifa can't cover up that cosplay with her denial until it ultimately bites everyone in the rear end and Cloud helps summon Meteor in a psychotic fit. I presume he would have gone to see Aerith, so *she* doesn't have as much reason to string Cloud along like she did.

I halfway suspect something else will happen to Zack before any of this, because the ramifications are...yikes

He gets abducted by Hojo after arriving at Midgar leaving the game to continue as normal until he eventually escapes and awkwardly follows just behind the party until he eventually meets them at a suitably dramatic moment.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Even before this game came out I was kinda half expecting playable Turks for Wutai when they get to it and now i'm expecting it even more.

I don't know if that means they'll join your party or there will be a separate one of Reno, Rude and Elena but i've convinced myself it's definitely happening.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Aerith dying but in a different way is more likely than Tifa dying tbh.

Honestly, even with the endgame nonsense I feel like the game's kinda setting things up for the structure to still be largely the same? Like a lot of the new stuff seems to be really emphasising if we can save Aerith this time, and if that's the big focus then the game's still going to need to reach the point where she would usually die. So while i'm sure there's going to be a lot of changes, maybe moreso than in Midgar, i'm thinking the general flow of plot will probably be the same.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

FF7 had "did everyone die at the end?" and "was Sephiroth controlling Jenova or Jenova controlling Sephiroth"
8 had R=U
9 I guess kinda had theories on what the hell Necron was?
10...the nature of Dream Zanarkand? Since it was not explained till the remastered versions that Dream Zanarkand was just an island far to the east with exploding blitzball mines

From 12 onwards I can not think of a single debate or theory (granted I have not played 15). It seems that FF since have been more straightforward with their storytelling leaving little room for speculation and theorising

Nobody cared about Necron let's be real.

FFXIV has a lot of theorising and so on, but i guess it's kind of a different beast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Oh they are absolutely leaning on side canon with like the huge focus on Zack in the ending and SOLDIER type-G and Leslie and Kyrie showing up at all.

Wait, they're expanded universe characters?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Define "best"

I just lowered my head and groaned when he said that. Sorry if I'm coming off as all over place liking the ending here but not caring for Kingdom hearts....but at that point it had just gotten so loving stupid. I just wanted some sweet disney/Final fantasy villain team ups. Not....Xenonort goes Bananas also everyone and everything is getting norted. Why? gently caress YOU that's why.

I mean, by game 6 of KH you gotta have known how it tends to go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spite posted:

Aerith has always been the original manic pixie dream girl.
Tifa was always stock anime childhood friend who grows up to be be super hot and thirsty for the main character.

They are better fleshed out in FF7R for sure.

My problem with Barrett is that he rapidly goes from original FF7 "literally Mr T" to an actual character. Sometimes in the same scene. I can't tell if it's bad writing or they've just never actually interacted with actual African Americans.

I don't really see Tifa as emotionally fragile though. Because she breaks down for a bit after seeing her friends killed and home crushed?

I don't know about emotionally fragile but even in the original I think Tifa comes off as a very anxious person.

A lot of it through her relationship with Cloud and how she doesn't really talk to him about obvious discrepancies with his history that really bother her. It's something the remake kind of plays up too. One of Cloud's first lines to her is talking about how it's been 5 years since they've seen each other which she obviously finds really weird because from her perspective its been over a decade and also 5 years ago was when their home burned down and as far as she knows he wasn't there for that? When she's giving him the tour she also mentions it's been 5 years since she reached Midgar but quickly changes the subject because she doesn't want to confront the obvious lie he's telling. And I think that sort of anxiety is present with her just in general.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That cat's not even a real fortune teller.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they had a lot of fun giving Aerith and Tifa scenes with the remake since their relationship wasn't so much a focus in the original game. It's definitely something I expect them to continue exploring, especially as Aerith might well survive and have another 50% of the story to interact with the rest of the cast for.

I think characterisation was the remake's strongest attribute so i'm really hoping they keep it up with giving all of the party extra scenes and development. Probably going to be a lot more difficult when party size doubles but I want it anyway! :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not letting people talking about Tifa dying instead of Aerith or whatever distract me from the great character writing the game had and it's absolutely what i'd consider FF7R's biggest strength.

And in any case, aside from this thread which was obviously going to gravitate to discussing the controversial spoilers I see a lot of talk about the other parts of the game too. I guess some people discussing the ending are the loudest because they're real heated about it but I really don't think it's the main thing people took from the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tifa has no clue Cloud was there 5 years ago because right at the start of this game when he mentions its been 5 years since they last saw each other she gets really concerned and then pointedly never brings up the subject again. It's great because when you're chasing cats with her or whatever she begins to talk about how she came to Midgar 5 years ago only to immediately change the subject because the whole thing worries her and her solution is to just completely ignore it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah it's why Tifa rules.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 25, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well in Sephiroth's first scene he talks about how he killed Cloud's mum. So there's that at least as far as motivation goes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sephiroth is absolutely going to be the final boss of every part of FF7R.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There will be another Sephiroth fight in part 2 but it will quickly become apparent it's only Zack and Cloud's just hallucinating really hard.

It will still play one winged angel though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

The Zack stuff seems to be an alternate timeline caused by the team beating the Whispers. Even if not, he's in the past, so how would he catch up or interact with the current cast?

I assume our main cast are in this alternate timeline as well? I mean they're the ones that beat the Whispers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Well he's dragging Cloud along with him, and our Cloud doesn't vanish or change or lose his Buster Sword or anything, so that time travel logic dictates that there are alternate versions of the main cast in the Zack timeline.

So that Cloud is probably less hosed up since he didn't watch his friend die and go through the identity crisis. Then the question is if Zack and Cloud join up with Avalanche, or Zack goes right to Aerith and takes Cloud with him, or Cloud goes back to meet up with Tifa. The plate probably doesn't fall and so forth.

I think really the only two people that could possibly interact with Zack right now are Sephiroth and Aerith, so I guess it's possible one of the two of them pull him into their timeline.

I mean something could have happened to Zack since he arrived in Midgar and Cloud was left behind with a large sword to be found by Tifa

Seems more convenient than having to grab Zack and comatose Cloud from another dimension that was created when we killed some ghosts and destroyed fate which created a separate parallel universe for some reason rather than changing the universe we reside in.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean if you've played the original you know where the whole thing with the Turks is going.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean even in the original the Turks become sorta goofy recurring bosses, then allies of convenience who eventually decide they like the party more than their bosses and stop opposing the group.

I imagine the general direction will be the same.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean, there's no denying that Shinra take a back seat as antagonists after Midgar in favour of the arguably-less-thematically-interesting-and-relevant Weird Magic Guy. I definitely hope for a stronger Shinra presence in the upcoming games.

I can't imagine Shinra's presence not being expanded on. I think it's clear the writers really enjoyed working with them as the antagonists and they did a lot to set them up for the future. I'd be super surprised if a lot of the new content doesn't do more with them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like wording that way makes it sound way more complicated than it actually is. Like, we see other characters in flashbacks too, does that mean there's multiple Tifas in this game??? Same about Cloud's weird visions and hallucinations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think they'd be able to get Gackt on board.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised there's a perception that fans are being particularly negative about the game because to me the online discourse doesn't seem too different from how it went for every FF game since like X and maybe that's just because I wasn't online for when any previous games were released. Maybe more positive than usual as I feel general consensus went from "Can't wait to see Square gently caress this one up" to "Wow, can't believe they pulled it off".

Everything just seems par for the course.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulva posted:

Shadowbringers has nearly universal acclaim.

All the good reception of FFXIV post ARR is balanced from 1.0.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

Since we've talked about Kingdom Hearts in this thread and I know there are some posters here who've kept up with it and enjoy it:

I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game since KH2. I'm considering replaying 2, or maybe 1 and 2, but I'm curious: I know the story is nonsense, but does it stay fun nonsense? Because I have a weird urge to plow ahead and play more of them and maybe build up to KH3 and I'm curious if I'm in for fun or just regular nonsense.

The games in between 2 and 3 are of varying quality but I think 3 itself is pretty much the 2nd best game in the series, just below 2 and the only one that compares gameplay wise. The story nonsense is mixed though, it gets weirder which is good and they start more heavily combining goofy original KH story with the Disney worlds and characters, and it's some of the best stuff in the series. However, especially towards the end a lot of the story doesn't really feel fully realised and it goes past confusing nonsense into just kinda being dull.

I still think it's really good though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 15, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And in the original game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

precision posted:

My secret theory btw is that the next game will be a stealth FF8 remake, just with FF7 characters

When it says FF7 Remake it means it. This isn't a remake of the entire story of the original game, but paradoxically it is a remake of the entire first game in broad terms. That's why you end the game with Firaga and kill Sephiroth. You won FF7.

but now. What's next? I don't think the cloud/Sephiroth duel mimicking the Squall/Seifer duel was just a cheeky wink to the audience. It was telling us.

We're gonna go to outer space

Cloud and Sephiroth's duel was mimicking cloud and Sephiroths other duels though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Jessie chapter was extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For FF7R-2 you play half the game as Cloud and pals and half as Zack and his party of Jessie, Biggs and Roche.