Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did the wall market Coliseum last night and it was the best thing ever. Its 7am and I want to get up and keep playing this game. Goty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

I don't know if these spoilers are supposed to make me more interested or what but I think any interest I've had has pretty much cratered.

The game owns. I've played about 22 hours.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just lol if this doesn't review well

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I’m just a sucker but I just would have liked a remake instead of “actually we are changing everything”

Seems the same enough for me. I like the extra details and stuff but I'm not going to read the alleged ending spoilers or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also I'm looking at the game as Freaky Friday or The Parent Trap. Do what you like square staff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoGoGadget posted:

Why is everyone suddenly acting like this is poo poo because it's a sequel instead of a 1 to 1 remake? You haven't even played the game (most of you) and are already acting like it killed your mother. Why are so many of you such reactionary morons?

It's pretty incredible considering how much the game owns and I can't put it down lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

pepperburg posted:

Yes I did, enough to warrant buying it sometime the line at a discount. The music remixes have generally been killer as well.

To me, FFVII is the bleakness of the plate dropping on the slums, the mystery of Sephiroth in the original. The story is filled with a lot of amazing big moments and reveals that all get pushed aside for this one. Maybe this'll be great but def gonna hold off.

This poo poo is in the game and it's central. I don't know what people are thinking is going to happen when the plate drops. It's not pleasant.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I think this is also a clever way for SE to reinterpret events that they feel might not translate well from PS1 to PS4. Like, it’s canon that a dolphin propels Cloud onto the scaffolding of Junon in the original - now maybe this time around, the party finds a more straight forward method, with a cute reference to a magic dolphin somewhere as a nod.

From what I've played of this one the dolphin will be there and it will also sing and dance as you go up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

FFXIV is just way too much for me. I tried to start playing again last year and was overwhelmed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wall market looks amazing. Move the camera aroud and walk about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Onmi posted:

Oh man, there's a loving hilarious moment where Hojo remembers Cloud wasn't a Soldier and says as much, but before he can elaborate and push the issue the Ghosts show up going NO BAD, NOT NOW and carrying him off. It's like... zany!

It wasn't zany.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Finished the game. It really steps over the line of insanity towards the end but all the core poo poo is in tact and I really enjoyed it. I'll start another run because I can't leave the house!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skeezy posted:

How long did it take you to finish the game?

38 hours to:

Do all the sidequests in the quest journal. Tried to pick up every item, I'm sure I missed things. Spent a good bit of time just looking at stuff as I went, the environments are beautiful and feel like being inside the original. Died four times. Didn't do the Coliseum free battles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Do the side quests ever get better than “kill 5 rats and get back to me”?

You get much more interesting enemies to fight and some cool insights into little mysteries, but they're not narrative standouts. Think of the sidequests as random encounters for getting AP and new items.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Which honestly isn't a bad way to replace some of the 'random encounter every ten steps' pacing of the original.

Honestly, my favorite part of FFXV turned out to be hunting and camping with the bros then cruising back into town to turn it in and this kind of seems like the city equivalent of that.

Absolutely. No complaints from me on this front. You can just fight random poo poo out in the wild, but the sidequests will provide you with some actual challenges.

I also loved the hunting, fishing and camping FFXV lifestyle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

Anyone know what the materia variety is like? I know we've got the three main elemental spell materia, healing, summons, Enemy Skill I think, and at least the Elemental support materia. Any others?

Offensive elementals and green materia: wind, ice, fire, lightning, poison, time. They upgrade as you use them from fire to fira to firaga for example.

Defensive green: heal, cure, barrier.

Summons: I've seen four. Ifrit, Shiva, Chocomog and fat Chocobo.

Blue materia (linked materia): elementa (link to offensive elementals for that type of attack damage), synergy (auto cast this elemental materia when the party leader uses the same elemental magic), hp regen when using attack magic, all materia (forget the name, casts offensive and defensive spells on everything. Works great with barrier), warding materia (grants immunity to linked materia eg poison, time). Weird one is refocus which is a limit break that grants you an extra ATB charge that seems to last all battle and lets you bust out stuff like 3 bars worth of Barret's cool full auto ability that you pick up about half way.

Purple materia (stat boosts): hp/mp up, mag up, other similar stuff. Lots of these, haven't used them all. Cloud has had two luck materia on him for my entire run.

Yellow materia: steal, prayer, chakra, enemy skill, assess. Heaps more of these I haven't used.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, that's a lot better than I expected. Didn't expect to see wind and time in there, and some of those blue materia sound pretty fun.

100% I've forgotten stuff. There's a lot of materia. Buy those weapon slots with your skill points! Weapons also tend to sidegrade as well with a focus on being an all rounder, a defender/attacker or a caster. Lots of menu stuff to enjoy.

Also I'm excited to start playing the chapters on hard with Cloud wearing a berserk ring, luck materia, linked element and all the hp I can jam on there so I can cast haste on him and see what happens (nothing good I bet!).

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

VagueRant posted:

When the plate collapses it cuts to a shot of Cait Sith (just the little kitty from on top) overlooking it and dropping to his knees and banging a fist on the ground.

I have no idea if the game sets this up or give it any context, and I really like the idea of confused new players wondering why this fluffy disney furry with a little crown has suddenly appeared to mourn the thousands of dead civilians.

Nah it just loving happens. I remembered this at the end after never seeing him again and was like lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Simiain posted:

I'd say if they're sincerely engaging in an intricate and memorable commentary on the nature of remakes, while paying due respect to the source material then that's awesome.

But I don't think anyone involved has those kind of chops and this just seems to be a self indulgent trolling of the fan base.

I'm a fan and I'd give the game a 10 if the side quests NPCs weren't ugly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hard mode is hard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Everyone saying Mah-ko is doing my head in

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sure the Japanese hypernerds would get a laugh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JBP posted:

Hard mode is hard.

Well the first boss was hard but I reworked my materia and won. Prayer and chakra will be very important so I'm just using them a lot to make them work better and it's made the game easy again. You also get lots of levels, AP and skill points in hard mode so you get strong very quickly. Nothing has given me an issue after the boss but we will see.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't bother with the sidequests on hard and the game took them from complete to unfinished. Why even show them if hard modifies it lol.

Air buster is no bullshit on hard God drat

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 6, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rufus owns. He shoots his big shotgun handcannon thing behind him to zip around at high speed lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the dumbest thing.

Like, I wanted a straight remake too but after reading about what they did I think it's cool and interesting.

This series is probably going straight through a time and space portal directly into its own rear end in a top hat before we see the end and I for one have my assholenaut helmet ready to go

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just beat hard air buster. Only Tifa alive, whole team on no mp, Tifa on 400hp remaining. What a stressful game! I love it!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's a ton of weird tonal dissonance in the original too, so I'm sure they can figure out a way to tie it together. If anything, what I've seen of the Honeybee Inn segment makes me hope they go even campier for stuff like the parade.

Yeah they've turned all that poo poo up to 11 so I can't imagine the dolphin ride is getting cut. If anything the dolphin will be wearing a cape.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not sure if I missed this in NG but I did another few of the Chadley battle analysis things and now I have a battle to get a Leviathan summon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hellhouse on hard mode. I know all this thing's tricks. Should be able to *Tonberries shoot out the door*

:catstare:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does hard mode actually have different enemies/patterns, not just cranking up the damage/hp? If so, that's awesome

Up to now there have been slight changes, maybe a new big move or greater aggression. This completely caught me off guard and left me laughing/horrified then quickly dead.

Hell house is obviously a labour of love for the devs. Everything about it is just incredible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aerith's clothes become more or less fancy in wall market based on how many side quests you do. At least I think this is it. I just skipped them and she's in a basic outfit versus a much more ornate one from my NG run.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah Tifa really gets em out at Corneo's.

I'm pretty sure all the outfits change if you don't do the sidequests at this point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

maybe a global pandemic and the resultant economic collapse have made people, I dunno, comfort-seeking and irritable

It's just the usual well of nerd rage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nail Rat posted:

I'd there somewhere to see a summary of the changes? It's difficult to parse through a whole thread especially when SE is dripping the hammer on most of the videos linked.

Here's my summary:

At one point in the game you smack Rude's sunglasses off his face and break them. He reaches into his pocket and reveals a second pair of sunglasses, which he puts on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

I sorta hope the time ghosts don't disappear from the narrative after part 1 because I feel like that's going to be kind of awkward, especially once the whole series is done and if someone were to play it on its own without having played the original FF7. For those of us who've played the original, making the first part of the remake explicitly about breaking away from the story that we know can be pretty cool; for newcomers, it might be kind of weird to end part 1 with this "now you're free from fate" thing and then never really revisit why that matters.

You kill the time ghost bahamut at the end of the game and it seems like Sephiroth's time ghost play is kind of done, but he alludes to Aerith dying and whatever so who knows if his well of super time ghost powers will continue.

So yeah maybe less time ghosts but the theme of it is important. Maybe loving with the ghosts has made big impacts and other effects will be seen. I'm excited about what bullshit they're going to do from here but I do still think they're going to keep the game tracking along the FF7 narrative with some extra bullshit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

So does Sephiroth control the whispers somehow or do they push back against him, too? I'm unclear on which side wants to change fate here the most.

He might not have total control of them but he's definitely got his fingers in the destiny pie and he's seeing the future/trying to alter it. The end boss destiny thingies are definitely Sephiroth's crew.

I'll be at the final chapters again soon and have a think. First time around I was too busy laughing and going WOW THE ANIME

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sorry final fantasy vii is ruined now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love the combat system. It really shines on hard except for the obligatory camera problems.

The trainyard is the biggest offender. Really fun bosses but sometimes the lock on fucks you out of being able to see where attacks will land and you get hit on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My main thing in RPGs beyond the story is if I like spending time with the characters. I really like these characters a lot and the extra interactions were all pretty good.

I'm one of the people that rates FFXV as a top tier game because they managed to make a friend simulator and it was just so pleasant.