Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ethiser posted:

They really could have added more times that the Whispers actively harmed the characters. What was the most negative thing they did? Hurt Jessie’s ankle? Nothing negative I can think of that was on the scale of saving Barret’s life. Did they do anything to ensure that the plate fell?

They popped up multiple times to ensure the characters arrived too late and literally stopped Tifa shutting down the the plate purge system or whatever.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why did they even hurt Jessie's ankle anyway? The reactor was gonna blow up regardless if Jessie was there or not since Shinra.

They weren't going to take Cloud with them until Jessie had to stay home

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided to do the combat training sim stuff in chapter 16 and now there's a greyed out option to do some with Aerith, how do I get her to it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

It absolutely is, every word of it.

1. Aerith always maintains she never had deep feelings for Zack,
2. When we see the real flashback it's just him running into the Jenova room and then flying out defeated like a scrub a few seconds later
and
3. He dies getting pumped full of lead by a Shinra grunt.

Hmm, you're being a weirdo about Zack who you obviously have some bizarre grudge against.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it was just that one helicopter that that exploded lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

X4 speed in the remaster makes it go by quicker but it's still a boring piece of poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caesar Saladin posted:

The time I tried to play the XII remaster, it seemed like once you set up your gambits properly you didn't really do anything in combat, like it just kinda played out and you barely pressed any buttons.

Theres four bosses in the game you might need to take direct control once or twice for!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

Pretty much, things go faster if you intervene occasionally though. Gambits are really good for automating out the low level maintenance work of jrpgs, targeting mooks and healing and buffs/esuna, leaving you to make the actual impactful decisions. If your setup is good enough though yeah gambits will probably carry you through most of the game because its not a particularly difficult one. Gambits are a hell of a lot more interesting than turning on auto battle for random fights in DQ or something though

I never really got the criticism that "gambits play the game for you" though, cause you're the one that has to set up the gambits in the first place. That's the game!!

That game took five minutes though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

I don't think that's even remotely true, its a tiny part of the game. They make a big deal out of it because its a unique feature that barely any other RPG has, but it absolutely doesn't define the combat system and the game is completely playable without using gambits. Which isn't true for just about any other of the actual defining elements of the game

Its literally the same thing as auto battle mode in any other RPG, you can just customize it so its not completely useless

Seriously, I want to see someone attempting to micromanage the combat in FF12 without using gambits and see how far they get without going insane.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it doesn't really matter because if you use gambits or not it's still utterly tedious one way or another.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Onmi posted:

I have no concept for the broken brained "FFXII is bad and I can't imagine managing this stuff that is ENTIRELY THE ATB COMBAT SYSTEM because I can also move characters independently, even though that literally doesn't matter and when I input a command the character will move on their own." Because like, if you can't stand that, you can't stand ATB combat period. That's all it is seriously, go play it, you can not touch the stick and just input commands when ATB pops up, and you can set it to wait mode, just like an ATB game. The issue is not the game, it's your brain. All Gambits are telling you, is that ATB actually sucks.

FF12 is especially bad though because the menus are not designed to used by humans and it takes 30 seconds to select a single action from its slow, laggy interface.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always like the learn abilities from equipment system when it appears, because it usually means I can just learn every ability instead of having to pick and choose. Of course they almost always have some sort of system that means you can can't have them all active at once but I'm okay with that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm guessing they changed the Jenova blood trail from red to purple so it would be easier to sell in markets that ban video game gore.

Yes, such as Japan

It was 100% a ratings decision.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be worse I somehow missed the first enemy skill materia you can get, for the first time ever in 20 or so play throughs of FF7. Next one is in Junon, meh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually, the problem with XII is the Great Crystal dungeon being the worst loving thing ever made

That's being kind

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

morallyobjected posted:

can you just replay the sector 5 plate section to keep getting more elemental materia?

The blue link materia don't come back once you've collected them, ever. I wanted more than one magnify. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it really needed like materia templates you could set up and switch between easily.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No the characters assume she's his wife and Cid basically goes '@&£$ who'd marry her'

Because he's an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jessie's alive but everyone else is dead