Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just beat it. Loved the game but like many was thrown by them doing a reimagining in the last hour. Not like Japanese media doesn’t do these a lot but it’s usually obvious sooner

That said I do not think Zack is alive and will meet the party and it’s just me but it’s never explained why cloud sees a flash forward of aerith dying right? Aerith and Sephiroth also 100% know what’s going on. Not sure if they did this before or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

It's part of Sephiroth's plan to get the party to get rid of TIME GHOST PROBLEMS for him. It's presented with no context so Cloud assumes that keeping time ghosts alive is what will cause it.

The party doesn't really have a grasp as to what the time ghosts actually are. Aerith seems to have a better idea than the rest, at least enough to try to preemptively let Cloud down gently ("Don't fall in love with me").

Man around the time I saw they changed the Jenova boss to “Dreamweaver” I was like no they are NOT pulling an FFX style you are a dream are they

Especially since dream aerith said something like don’t fall in love because it’s not real

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Veib posted:

The weirdest thing to me on this soundtrack is Flying High, the song that plays when you parachute down to the slums in Chapter 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiPZ3JdHHI

because it sounds like the Top Gun opening theme, Top Gun Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M7QwHnVXQ

The song owns but wtf

Quoting an old post to say

Do you not remember biggs saying “I can take out another... PLATOON”

Everything about Avalanche is extremely 90s

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As incredible as the 16 minute remix of motorcycle song was, it was absolute bullshit roche did not show up again. I grew to love him so quickly

Also is everyone complaining they blew the sephiroth fight forgetting that in the original FF7 he is a screen spanning super boss that takes multiple parties to defeat and then his next form was an angel with like 8 wings

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess I don't understand the logic of loving 99% of something and then hating the last 1% of it so much it makes you retroactively think the 99% was worthless :shrug:

Just treat it like cheese and cut the bad bit off

Edit: this is not commenting on Beefstew's post which showed up while I was typing

Game of thrones

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It’s amazing how little of the game I actually seem to remember

I knew you return to midgar on a parachute
I remember diamond weapon and lasers
I remember fighting Hojo directly

But all of this stuff in my mind was not related

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really messed up and in the replay where I did all quests I didn’t get the elemental materia and then I chapter selected out and now it’s not there anymore

Everything I read about Hard is “ok so I hope you have both elemental materia”

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

Cloud with Gotterdammerung, Magnify + [chapter-relevant elemental magic materia], and MP Absorb + [same elemental magic materia] is just wrecking most of Hard Mode for me.

You can double link materia that way?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Arcane Ward is *just* this side of almost OP, and I love it so much. I spend time making sure it's up almost all the time. In hard mode I'd rather have two 1st level spells fire off for single mana cost than 2nd or 3rd most of the time. But I tend to be super miserly when it comes to casting vs. Abilities in Hard Mode.

And Super Anime Laser Beam can hit like a one ton anvil.

So far in hard mode a double casted thundara is actually ridiculously strong and does more damage than limit breaks

I dunno if I did something wrong or magic ups are actually that busted

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

Speaking of which, what happens if you have Barret equipped with a melee weapon during a cutscene where he shoots at something?

I’m guessing the same thing when you use maximum fury with a melee Weapon it shoots anyway

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BaDandy posted:

At some point way later in the remake, instead of going into the Northern Crater where Sephiroth gives Cloud and Tifa that vision, the game fakes out a force quit, or the tv looks like it shuts off, in the vein of Eternal Darkness sanity effects.

Undertale did this really well. I dunno if AAA games still do this kinda thing

Edit: wait actually this game takes a 20 year old tent pole of a genre and then makes you kill the plot, so I guess AAA games do still break the 4th wall

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if a global pandemic and the utter destruction of supply chains and retail had anything to do with that :confused:

Didn’t animal crossing do the best numbers ever during a pandemic?

But also FF15 was multi platform

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

Even more than that I think.

The impression I get is that the Aerith we see in Chapters 2, 8-12 and 16-18 can see things, but isn't 100% certain of what they lead to nor of herself.

The Aerith in Chapter 14 gave me a different vibe, an much older vibe. What tipped me off especially was her thanking Cloud for all the moments and memories, when the Aerith we met in Chapter 2 didn't even know him yet and by the time of her abduction had known him for just about half a day.

My speculation is that Chapter 14 Aerith is from AC, and while she's been feeding memories to FF7R Aerith, they're still separate people.

I like this reading of it. I also got Aerith first time through the game and I thought it was 100% telling me that Aerith was time traveling

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They also mention monsters are the way they are because of Mako exposure (Barrett says it’s shinra’s fault that there are monsters basically)

And mako is like, crystallized lifestream

So basically I’m not sure but I’m sure you magic explain it away

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Roche feels like FF7 Gilgamesh

Enkidu is his bike

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Man, listening to the OG soundtrack (partially because YouTube's been taking down uploads of the remake soundtrack), and I'm really sad that we didn't have more Anxious Hearts representation in the remake. That's straight-up the best song.

I was wondering why I couldn’t find stuff anymore. The actual ost is out soon at least

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Harrow posted:

Since we've talked about Kingdom Hearts in this thread and I know there are some posters here who've kept up with it and enjoy it:

I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game since KH2. I'm considering replaying 2, or maybe 1 and 2, but I'm curious: I know the story is nonsense, but does it stay fun nonsense? Because I have a weird urge to plow ahead and play more of them and maybe build up to KH3 and I'm curious if I'm in for fun or just regular nonsense.

I played KH1, the GBA game, KH2 and the PSP game (birth by sleep) all at launch. So I’m not a huge huge fan but I played and liked enough of the games.

I was incredibly disappointed with Kh3

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Apparently in advent children Marlene is ask different from the other children in a way I don’t want to remember because it was advent children. But there is definitely something up with her yeah.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

It'll probably be expanded on one way or the other.

Remember when the demo came out and you had the Stamp posters tucked away on the walls and Barret calls Cloud "Stamp" just once as a throwaway thing and people thought it was a nice sophisticated little bit of background storytelling? And then the full game came out and they absolutely ran that poo poo into the ground like it was the Sector Seven plate?

Based on what we've seen so far the new FF7 series doesn't really do "subtle". It's a big pendulum swing from the original where things were vague to the point where you couldn't really have the satisfaction of figuring anything out for yourself because there was no conclusive evidence for anything one way or the other.

Imo the original was a bit TOO vague though. I remember having discussions with people about the plot and we had completely different understandings of the main points of the plot. Some of it is cool and charming some of it was just being confusing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Flopsy posted:

So it's a lot of this guy is a ghoul and clearly has a fetish for loving around with monsters but gaddamn did Sephiroth gently caress Wutai UP! WELP better give him a big ol' lab and a budget and hope he strikes gold again. Out of curiosity what do you think their plan was if he uh--went a step too far? Like, for example the plot of FF7? Rufus and co. figure out Sephiroth ain't dead and has become some sort of monstrosity pretty quickly. You'd think they would bring that up with him instead of letting him off the hook to be awful on a beach.

Again part of why I liked the remake a lot was the context of “actually if a city size corporation did some terrible poo poo they’d deal with it similarly”

Shinra tower was such a good approximation of what an oil/tech/monsanto type company would be like if they ran a small country

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Asema posted:

There's a lot here, and there's no way that I can do it justice but Emet is legitimately my favorite villain in all of FF and it's because they shape it up in a way where He's right/just in doing what he's attempting to do, and when you finally overcome him and pave the way for a future without what he's attempting to do, he doesn't scream like a little bitch and cry over being defeated, instead he just kinda kneels down, nods his head, and says

"Remember us. Remember that we once lived."

and it just hits extremely hard because there isn't a way to look at what he was hoping to accomplish without feeling like you were the bad guy for stopping him.

Also the voice acting is top notch and this scene is super up there so watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXeNI5s_M0

and here's the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanNDeedNrY

again watch at your own risk these are massive spoiler videos

The voice acting and writing of Ff14 absolutely make up for the game having the production quality of a PS2 game sometimes

*Nods* *Punches Palm*

I played SHB right after FF7R and it was crazy how much better The writing was and how much worse that part was. I love them both in different ways

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I sort of took a break on my hard mode run around the train graveyard but the one thing I am definitely not looking forward to is Ch 17's boss gauntlet with no chance to recover mp

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm continuing to re-play through the chapters, and I noticed a couple things that hadn't registered my first time through:
  • At the beginning of Chapter 8, when Aerith tells Cloud about her 'useless' materia, Cloud has a vision of her death from the original game (I don't know why this didn't jump out at me my first time through, maybe I was looking at my phone or something?)
  • When Cloud and Aerith leave Sector 5 at the beginning of Chapter 9, Cloud has another headache-vision. He doesn't see anything unusual, but the first few notes of the Lifestream theme play.
Up until then I'd thought that Cloud's headaches were only triggered by seeing or hearing something that invoked his repressed memories, but this could either tie in with:
  • OG Aerith in the Lifestream is reaching out to Cloud; or
  • The whole 'Whispers are WEAPONS' thing, where Whispers are the planet's way of controlling fate, and the Whispers are giving Cloud visions in addition to directly intervening.
I almost wanted to lump in Cloud's visions from when he's falling after the Airbuster fight (where he talks to another version of himself), but compared to all the other visions he has, these are probably just regular ol' unconscious dreaming.

Have you seen the chapter 14 scene outside the house with aerith? She pops up to cloud in a “dream” because she’s in shinra HQ. But the stuff she says and way she acts made it seem like she knew all the timeline stuff was going on.

I’m not sure if it’s like... a different aerith speaking to Cloud (one that’s from the future) or if aerith knows more than she’s letting on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My FF nerd is showing but even in Final Fantasy 5 a main character dies and they try using Life and Phoenix down on them in the cutscene and they are "too dead"
In FF Tactics a phoenix down will bring a recently "killed" character back to life but if you wait too long they are dead forever and they stop working.

Even the original FF7 had attacks you couldn't phoenix down through - Ruby Weapon swallowed up 2 characters and you couldn't revive them. They popped out fine after the battle though

Having your whole party "knocked out" just implies that the next step is the enemies now kill you because you can't fight back