Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

God loving drat I love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Groetgaffel posted:

It is my absolute favourite intro though. It sets the stage so very well, and Hell March 2 starting up as the shadow falls over the statue of liberty is just :swoon:

It's always amazing to me that Westwood sat down, thought "how can we make a sequel to our dark, weird, time-travel alt-WW2 game? What bits shall we keep as the basis for RA2?"

...then someone stood up and said "The ridiculous B-movie atmosphere of the secret giant ant missions."

And it worked.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Now we're getting into the games I have 0 knowledge of rather than minimal, so it'll be even more rad to watch.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, you're in for a ride.

e: It should be noted that hiding commercials for other (often still-in-production) games after the intro was a pretty common practice back then. My treasured copy of Planescape: Torment tosses an unskippable Buy Icewind Dale video before you can start playing teh drat thing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 2, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, you're in for a ride.

e: It should be noted that hiding commercials for other (often still-in-production) games after the intro was a pretty common practice back then. My treasured copy of Planescape: Torment tosses an unskippable Buy Icewind Dale video before you can start playing teh drat thing.

I'm not actually sure if Red Alert 2 did that, that was my editing for the tutorial video :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I remember the Emperor commercial being in the game (maybe in the options menu?) but not in the intro like that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I remember the Emperor commercial being in the game (maybe in the options menu?) but not in the intro like that.

It's a shame they didn't call it C&C: Emperor so Jobbo had to play it, too. I remember enjoying it.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Ah yes, my personal favorite of the series. Just the right amount of color and camp married with great gameplay. Good times.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not actually sure if Red Alert 2 did that, that was my editing for the tutorial video :)
I could've sworn it is in the game but have no access to my old CDs now so I'll take your word on it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Aww yeah, it's time for best C&C game

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Aww yeah, it's time for best C&C game

Personally I'd rate it as... #4. But I realize I am in the minority on this.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'd totally forgotten there was another westwood dune RTS after dune 2000. Hey Jobbo, if you feel like a break from C&C at some stage, how about showing a few missions of Emperor (if you have a copy)?

Anyway, right from the start we can see so many quality of life things added to this game to improve the interface. I think the only thing I didn't like about RA2 except for the lack of kane was that they seemed determined to give every unit some kind of special ability or similar gimmick that required a lot of micro to use properly. I get it, they wanted a high skill ceiling to reward super gosu pro players, but, well, I'm crappy at micro and it makes me feel bad personally.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a fan of Emperor, mostly because of how useless most of the advanced units are (there is no reason to play as Ordos, ever) and the overall imbalance (loving Tleilaxu subfaction).

Anyhow, if we're rating the CnC series, this game would be near the top, I'd say 2 to 4.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Weird, Ordos and Tleilaxu is clearly the best combination.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Am I the only one who assumed it was an April Fool's troll when the Battle For Dune interface popped up?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

keseph posted:

Am I the only one who assumed it was an April Fool's troll when the Battle For Dune interface popped up?
For a moment I did too, and then I remembered that they used to have trailers for upcoming games either after the initial cinematics or in a separate section.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

Weird, Ordos and Tleilaxu is clearly the best combination.
Yeah, purely because Tleilaxu is broken as gently caress.
Anyhow, to get back from the derail -

Crazy Achmed posted:

Anyway, right from the start we can see so many quality of life things added to this game to improve the interface. I think the only thing I didn't like about RA2 except for the lack of kane was that they seemed determined to give every unit some kind of special ability or similar gimmick that required a lot of micro to use properly. I get it, they wanted a high skill ceiling to reward super gosu pro players, but, well, I'm crappy at micro and it makes me feel bad personally.
I never really felt that way about RA2; all the units have clearly defined roles and gimmicks are what makes the more advanced units fun. Besides, the gimmick units are still in the minority.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah I thought the RA2 unit roster was a lot less gimmicky than say, Tiberian Sun's. You can effectively make use of almost any unit, vs how in the other game there's a lot of units that were on paper super cool but was way too complicated to make effective use of.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'd totally forgotten there was another westwood dune RTS after dune 2000. Hey Jobbo, if you feel like a break from C&C at some stage, how about showing a few missions of Emperor (if you have a copy)?

I think you're mixing ra2 up with another game. GIs are probably one of the most active and the mass deploy button makes creating an advancing wall of heavy machine guns pretty easy to use. They can also garrison, but that's not exactly micro heavy either.

The chrono miner for instance, has a really cool ability that requires zero clicking by the player to use. Cant give other examples right now because spoilers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Allies are a bit more gimmicky, the Soviets are a bit more straightforward, both sides have their share of weird science but also a simple, reliable core of normalish units.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My favorite thing about this game is that it was developed by "Westwood Pacific" who were really just another studio that EA bought and renamed to Westwood Pacific after they bought Westwood (They later became EA Pacific and did C&C:Generals). This game wasn't even really made by Westwood proper! It was an EA joint :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah the good old days when EA usually meant a good game.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

E A GAMES
"challenge everything"

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
"If it makes no sense whatsoever, it's in the GAME"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

One of the best things is how this game took the TS promotion system and made it really something you can engage with. A lot of little gameplay experiments were refined for this one. Urban environments became a real deal, and infantry are pretty strong!

It's also still the series at a point where rock-paper-scissors isn't cranked up all the way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally I'd rate it as... #4. But I realize I am in the minority on this.

It is probably my favourite to play, but the winner in the story departement is probably Red Alert the original.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 01: Operation Lone Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHeqZotez0
Operation Lone Guardian

The Soviet Union is attacking the United States of America! Forces are pouring in across the US-Mexico border and reports are coming in that naval and air assets are being used against cities on the East Coast, specifically New York! Help Agent Tanya stabilize the situation in New York, there's not a moment to lose!

In the heart of New York!

Objective: Make contact with Fort Bradley and eliminate Soviet forces in the area.

Briefing: The Soviets have invaded! They outnumber us ten to one. You must assist special agent Tanya in New York. We are marshaling our forces as fast as we can, Commander, but we need time. A small American base, Fort Bradley, is in the New York area. If you can make contact, they may be able to assist in the defense of New York. Tanya will be moving through a chaotic battlefield. Keep your eye out for targets of opportunity and watch for new mission objectives.

Author's note: A nice intro mission that shows off Tanya, naval and air units, and sets the story situation rather well. Also, bonus points for having unique buildings and blowing up the Statue of Liberty.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya.

Name: Unknown
Aliases: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Unknown [Might have to find this out after the rest of the cast is done]

Officers within the US forces, possibly assigned to General Carville's unit.

Name: Tanya
Aliases: Widowmaker
Affiliation: Hired Gun
Voiced/Played by: Kari Wuhrer

Agent Tanya is a renowned mercenary who plays by her own rules. It has been suggested that the name "Tanya" may be a codename, similar to Agent 007.

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Tanya
RANGE: Medium-Long
ARMOR: Flak
WEAPON: Dual Colt 1911
COST: 1000

The most versatile infantry unit for the Allied forces is Tanya. About as fast as a typical GI, Tanya also has the ability to swim across rivers and oceans. While not that powerful against vehicles, Tanya’s powerful weapon kills off enemy infantry units with a single shot. Tanya can also plant C4 charges on enemy buildings or ships, destroying them instantly. Planting C4 charges on the repair huts of bridges allows Tanya to destroy bridges as well.

Author's Note: Tanya is our "Hero" unit. She's tough but don't expose her to vehicles for very long, she will not survive.

Engineer
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: None
COST: 500

Although unarmed, the Engineer is a very useful unit. Surgical use of engineering teams can quickly turn the tide of battle. Note that when an engineer is used, the unit itself is lost. Engineers can be used to repair destroyed bridges (enter the bridge huts), steal enemy structures, repair your own structures and repair or capture neutral tech buildings. Engineers can also defuse [REDACTED] bombs by targeting the affected unit or structure.

Author's Note: We've seen engineers before, they haven't changed.

Attack Dog
WEAPON: "Bad" Teeth
COST: 200

Specially-trained German Shepherds, Attack Dogs are extremely effective against infantry, but are completely worthless against vehicles and structures. Additionally, Attack Dogs are your first, best and only line of defence against Allied Spies. You’ll want Attack Dogs guarding your base at all times.

Author's Note: Dogs are back and that makes me happy. Now I wonder how I should mod them...

Pillbox
ARMOR: Steel
POWER USAGE: None
PURPOSE: Base Defense

Pill-boxes are fortified gun emplacements designed to protect an area against attacks by enemy infantry. Pill-boxes are not very effective against vehicles and they cannot shoot through walls.

Author's Note: Your basic defensive structure. Works well against infantry and lightly-armored targets.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your lightning counterattack blunted the Soviet invasion."

Slower than Par Time: "You barely succeeded in holding back the Soviet advance."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 3, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
One of the best things in RA2 is the greater focus on naval action.

It's just a wrinkle that the Tiberian series never really engaged with.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

When I first played RA2 my dad would watch me play sometimes and he always referred to Tanya as comrade cleavage.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
But that's Russkie talk, shouldn't she be Agent Assets?

*Edit: I threw up a little making that joke*

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
This universe sucks. I could really go for a McBurger Kong right about now.

Edit: I don't know what the two of you are talking about. Clearly it was her military knowledge and professionalism that got her this job.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
For those of you that don't care about spoilers, there's this youtube channel called tg where they test the poo poo out of almost everything found in this game ,almost anything you have ever wanted to know about the game can be found in the videos or the in yt comments. Because of how spoiler filled it is I won't post the link to it here unless Jobbo says it's o.k, you have to find it yourself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, Lieutenant Eva. I get it!

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Engineer
WEAPON: None

Although unarmed, the Engineer is a very useful unit. Surgical use of engineering teams can quickly turn the tide of battle. Note that when an engineer is used, the unit itself is lost. Engineers can be used to repair destroyed bridges (enter the bridge huts), steal enemy structures, repair your own structures and repair or capture neutral tech buildings. Engineers can also [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [REDACTED].

Author's Note: We've seen engineers before, they haven't changed.

What are you talking? Absolutely nothing has changed about Engineers and there certainly aren't any additional interactions with units we haven't seen yet. That's fake news!

The neutral buildings note here is worth reiterating. There were a couple of instances of capturing "tech" buildings like the hospital before, but part of this game's charm is how packed the maps are going to be and things like the tech buildings are used more than as a one-mission gimmick. In the first Allied mission, we already see how they're willing to make the urban environments extremely dense although this time most of the garrison buildings were already red*; it gives you the option of spending a few engineers to create an impromptu fortification well outside your building area. TibSun had a couple of "city" environments but they never came close to what is seen in the opening level here. There's a narrative argument to be made that TibSun's timeline is well after all major cities (as we know them) have been abandoned, but there could have been a mission set in the smoldering remnants of one.

Part of me is a little sad that the Soviet campaign is coming second because it has such wonderfully cheesy, stupid :what: set pieces. But that means any newbies to the universe will have that much more to anticipate!

Also seconding the comment about integrating the Naval combat. It was lot of fun in RA1 as the Allies to bring your Cruisers to bear in a cross-domain attack (and the Soviet Missile Subs in the expansion), but the actual ship-to-ship combat wasn't particularly fulfilling. They do a much better job of fleshing it out here. You wouldn't really know it without having played it first-hand, but transports in RA1 were pretty drat janky, but now you have units like Tanya who seamlessly transition.

There's also a sort of subtle thing right at the opening as the cruise missiles are firing on the statue: [some of] the cruise missiles are being shot down by other (Patriot) missiles and it's not just a map script, interactable projectiles are A Thing in this game.

* The tutorial did mention that garrisoned units automatically evacuate at "critical damage" to the building. To clarify that, it isn't when the building is destroyed, it's when the building hits red (30%?) damage and anything already in the red cannot be garrisoned.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Shake it baby!
Got to confess, RA2 Tanya is my favourite. Wonderful introduction too.

General Carville posted:

She's the best there is, but you'll get along better with the Soviets.
:allears:

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Love this game, has so many fun ideas and elements.

Can you post the alternative text at mission end if you beat the par time?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Strategic Sage posted:

This universe sucks. I could really go for a McBurger Kong right about now

I like how custom its damage animations are, too!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And here we encounter one of the things that keeps pointlessly throwing me off: you want to name the main Soviet battle tank and you go with Rhino?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Chronojam posted:

It's also still the series at a point where rock-paper-scissors isn't cranked up all the way.

Probably my favourite way of balancing RTS. (Almost) everything can technically beat anything else, but you still need precision tools to do the job once in a while. It's much more about the spectacle, and less about building A to counter B to counter C and back to A again.

anilEhilated posted:

And here we encounter one of the things that keeps pointlessly throwing me off: you want to name the main Soviet battle tank and you go with Rhino?

I believe that's this world's equivalent of NATO reporting names? I don't remember if the Soviets actually call it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

I believe that's this world's equivalent of NATO reporting names? I don't remember if the Soviets actually call it that.
I'm not so sure about that given some later Soviet unit names. But we'll se that eventually.