Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can't do the briefing justice.

That's ok, Romanov couldn't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
This was such an out-of-left-field mission when I first played it. The bond reference is pretty fun, I just wish they had done more with the setting.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
:allears:

What I liked to do in this mission is get a bunch of apocalypse tanks with flack trucks in front of them and attack the base like that. Flack trucks get mind controlled and you can just ignore them because they do barely any damage against your tanks.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

This is one of my favorite missions in the game and what makes yuri's revenge so memorable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is this the first time we see Magnetrons? The most broken unit in the game, in my opinion.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yess, peak RA2 right here. Just hey moon battle, have fun! Tough fight though, both the Magnetron and Mastermind are super nasty units to face, but least your Cosmonauts can deal with them. A neat trick is that you always get a Cosmonaut from selling a Barracks, which costs less then a Cosmonaut, and gives back 250 credits, so if you have the time and are willing to forgo the Par Time, you can get a pretty huge flock of them this way. Building the Industrial Plant is also recommended for your tank forces, it pays for itself many times over and even on normal money can get tight. Dealing with Yuri's two side outposts is made a lot easier when you know that one has lots of Gattling Turrets but only one Mind Control Tower, and the other is the exact opposite, lots of towers, only one turret.

The Magnetron's range is pretty darn huge and it deal some massive damage to buildings, and can take a fair beating, although it is slow and very pricey. As for the Mastermind taking damage from to many controlled units, this happens if it passes three, and there is no way to stop the Mastermind from mind controlling, and the amount of self damage it takes exponentially rises for each extra unit. Course before it dies half your army will probably destroy the mind controlled half though, double so since it has some decent health.

All in all a fun, if slightly flawed mission, but definitely the most memorable one by far.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Is this the first time we see Magnetrons? The most broken unit in the game, in my opinion.

Nah we saw them vs Grand Cannons in the Allied finale, but i was lacking in vehicles for that one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

UED Special Ops posted:

All in all a fun, if slightly flawed mission, but definitely the most memorable one by far.

There's just something magical about a huge swarm of cosmonauts firing their lasers at everything. :ussr:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There's just something magical about a huge swarm of cosmonauts firing their lasers at everything. :ussr:

Fact, and that was usually how I beat the mission. 50k+ of credits of em sure put on a light show.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
When I first got wind of this LP happening, this mission popped into my head. I couldn't even remember what game or game series it took place in, but I clearly remembered flying laser dudes on the moon and really what more could you ask for.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm getting really frustrated with Yuri's mind control gimmick just watching this LP, and I'm not even playing this game, or ever played it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I can't help but be a little disappointed with this mission. It should be complete zany madness, but it feels disappointingly restrained to me. Like Westwood was going "We're not THAT crazy."

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
The big problem(and Jabbo touched on this earlier) is that unlike the Allies, the Soviets don't really have a sure fire way to deal with Yuri's mind control horseshit other then Throwing Bodies At The Problem.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I feel like this is the only map where that actually isn't the case, since mind controllers can't target fliers and you get cosmonauts here. If they throw in gattling weapons as well then it can get tricky, but the static defenses are mostly set up so that doesn't happen and the AI usually isn't good enough to send out coordinated groups.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oh this mission. The correct way to play it is laughing like a maniac.

There's a version of the Cosmonaut in the game files named "Lunar Rocketeer", suggesting the Allies were intended to have a lunar mission as well at one point. I suppose I can see why they cut it. Once you get past the new tileset it isn't much more than a limited-cash map with a new (and fun) unit. It's telling there were never any multiplayer maps using the lunar tileset.

But it is magical the first time you play it.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

There is a 4-player map named "Moon Patrol", at least in the First Decade version.
I have the unofficial 1.03 patch for TFD installed, so it might be from that - but I think that only added official map packs.

But even the Allies just get regular Cosmonauts, with russian voices.

(Also got reminded that RA2's built-in screen capture creates PCX files, which almost nothing knows how to open anymore.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet X07: Operation: Head Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEC4605XW7k
Operation: Head Games

With space belonging to Mother Russia, it is time to rid ourselves of that pest Yuri once and for all! He is hiding in his homeland of Transylvania, in Romania. Go there and dislodge that tick. Be on your guard, as there appears to be both Allied and Soviet troops still under his command, and the civilian population may still be exploited by that madman!

The area of Transylvania, Romania

Objective: Destroy Yuri's Headquarters.

Briefing: Hoping to hide from your onslaught, Yuri has retreated to his ancestral home in Transylvania. We can not allow him any respite or he will only rally his forces and return again to threaten us all. Eliminate Yuri now and forever!

Author's note: A tough mission, especially when reaching the end of the tech tree. It's especially notable for mixing both armies together without throwing tons of Yuri's own forces into the mix. Refreshing, challenging, fun.

Name: Alexander Romanov
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Nicholas Worth

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though. A rather jovial fellow. Either has a medical condition, or is affected by Yuri by some fashion. Allegedly murdered by General Vladimir. Murdered by Yuri. Sends a tape to Zofia so that she may relay it to the Commander.

Name: Lt. Zofia
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate. Has expressed her affection towards the commander on numerous occasions.

N/A

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "The sheer ferocity of your attack and genious of your tactics left Yuri stunned. There is no doubt you have crushed him once and for all."

Slower than Par Time: "Though the battle was long, you have finally rid the world of Yuri."

:siren::siren::siren: SPOILERS BELOW :siren::siren::siren:

Name: Lt. Zofia
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate. Has expressed her affection towards the commander on numerous occasions. Helps the Commander in defeating Yuri by sending him back in time to be dispatched by the Soviet agent Rexie.

Name: Yuri
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all! Personal friend of Iosef Stalin. Traitor to the Motherland! Survived the war and has developed mind control devices that can control the minds of citizens over entire continents. Uses GOP scare tactics to convince weak-minded individuals to submit to an evil dictator. Escaped capture in Romania by using the Time Travel Device, only to be sent into the waiting arms of the Soviet Agent Rexie.

Name: T. Rexie
Aliases: T-Bone
Voiced/Played by: Itself

After joining forces with the Soviets following its rescue from an island in [REDACTED] B.C., Rexie was returned to its time in order to help propagate Soviet ideals. After having lead several attacks against Triceratop forces of the Yucatan Peninsula, Rexie settled down along the west coast to enjoy a life of retirement. This was disturbed somewhat when, as Yuri shifted through time, Rexie was called back to active service to dispatch the traitor. Both the Time Travel Device and Yuri were never seen again, nor was evidence of their existence in the Cretaceous period ever discovered.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Merry Christmas everyone. I can't begin to express how much I appreciate everyone's participation in these threads, and in the comments to the videos.

For those curious about the immediate future, I will likely be doing a skirmish video, followed by a peek at the majority of the COOP missions, and then the map/mission dissection videos. The latter won't be nearly as long as previous games, if only because there's less hidden in the FoW.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Merry Christmas everyone. I can't begin to express how much I appreciate everyone's participation in these threads, and in the comments to the videos.

This is a pleasant surprise, although I think January 7th would have been a more appropriate date for this particular Christmas miracle.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

This is a pleasant surprise, although I think January 7th would have been a more appropriate date for this particular Christmas miracle.

I'm either too tired or too ignorant to understand its significance :(

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm either too tired or too ignorant to understand its significance :(

Many Eastern Orthodox Christians, including Russian Orthodox, celebrate Christmas on January 7th because that's when it happens after accounting for the shift from the Julian to Gregorian calendar.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

Many Eastern Orthodox Christians, including Russian Orthodox, celebrate Christmas on January 7th because that's when it happens after accounting for the shift from the Julian to Gregorian calendar.

Ah, right. Makes sense, haha.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are all units mind controlled at the same speed? Does veterancy make it take longer for something to switch sides, or is it just a binary of a unit can or can't be controlled?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

White Coke posted:

Are all units mind controlled at the same speed? Does veterancy make it take longer for something to switch sides, or is it just a binary of a unit can or can't be controlled?

It’s just a variable flip for which side controls and is immediate regardless of veterancy or anything else.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
You do actually get something out of destroying the two Grinders on the map, in addition to stopping Yuri from getting free money from the spawning civilians, each Grinder drops a money crate. And wow, hard mode massively ups the difficulty of that mission. On normal I don't remember the AI having such an effective mixed force like that at all, although it still does build the trio of super weapons to counter your own. The Psychic Becons go down to a single nuke, and are placed so that no other buildings besides the defensive ones will be hit by it, although that does mean taking at least a round of super weapon hits in response.

Good final though, and a very different feel then the Allied one, although it is kind of disappointing how lax the defense is around Yuri's Castle, a mere pair of Gattling Turrets vs the phalanx of em around the Dominator back in England. The whole puzzle of dealing with the mind controlled bases is nice though, and it defiantly feels like a proper struggle. And a very fitting end for Yuri as well, well done Commander Rexy! Do kinda feel that the expansion really could have used an extra mission on each side, both have a good start and end, but you just kinda have a few battles with Yuri and then bam, suddenly you are attacking his HQ. Oh well, still a very great expansion. Never seen or played the co-op maps, so looking forward to that, even if it is just a glance at em. Def looking forward to Renegade though, been a very long time since I played that one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how the Yuri taunt broadcasts in this mission are clearly shot from a dungeon, complete with a torch and flashes of lightning in the background. Fully embracing the Transylvanian spirit there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 26, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I love how the Yuri taunt broadcasts in this mission are clearly shot from a dungeon, complete with a torch and flashes of lightning in the background. Fully embracing the Transylvanian spirit there.

Heck, even in RA2 Yuri had a few scenes of him talking to the commander while strolling about a spooky dungeon. Defiantly a flare for the dramatic even before the expansion.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
That Soviet ending :allears:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He is hiding in his homeland of Transylvania
I appreciated how Romanov just said out loud what we were all thinking.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Ah yes, the big Soviet finale - which can fairly easily be won by sending 4-5 Kirovs straight up the middle of the map, as there are only about 3 Gatling cannons defending the castle directly.

Of course, you still need to survive long enough to build that against waves of kamikaze IFVs. One of the more effective strategies against this is to keep units in the specific spot the where the Allied and Soviet units meet up to fill the IFVs with Tesla Troopers an (IIRC) Crazy Ivans - Zofia marks it on the map when she gives you the first warning. If you intercept the units in time, you can kill the empty IFVs and then deal with the infantry on their own.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did we really save the world, or let Yuri conquer it with a massive dinosaur empire? :ohdear:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Poil posted:

Did we really save the world, or let Yuri conquer it with a massive dinosaur empire? :ohdear:

Came in to post exactly that after seeing the ending :v:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

You dare doubt the loyalty of Commander Rexy? Also, it has been shown that Yuri and his Psi Core can not control animals sooo, yeah, he be dino food.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think my favorite part of the ending is Yuri outright namedropping the franchise title.

I still echo the sentiment we should've had a little Yuri campaign but at the same time it would've spoiled his tricks before you fight them. Maybe it could've been done as an unlockable prequel campaign after you beat one of the others?

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 26, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well I'm glad we're done with RA2 as I much prefer the other episodes in the CnC saga.
R.I.P Nicholas Worth, we miss your energetic hamminess.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Congrats on yet another game finished, Jobbo!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I think my favorite part of the ending is Yuri outright namedropping the franchise title.
I had completely forgotten this, but after seeing it I had a vivid memory of me and a friend just laughing our asses off at the line delivery.

Thanks for the thread, Jobbo!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

By popular demand posted:

Well I'm glad we're done with RA2 as I much prefer the other episodes in the CnC saga.
R.I.P Nicholas Worth, we miss your energetic hamminess.

For some reason I thought Carville's actor had passed also, but Barry Corbin is alive and well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgamus posted:

Ah yes, the big Soviet finale - which can fairly easily be won by sending 4-5 Kirovs straight up the middle of the map, as there are only about 3 Gatling cannons defending the castle directly.

Is there anything kirovs can't do? :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RA 2 was when the series started becoming too hammy. Yuris revenge is when it REALLY got hammy. But that's just a personal preference, I know a lot of people love the direction the series took.

And I can't ever fault people for absolutely loving stuff like going to space or the top tier performances of the Soviets.