Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is there anything kirovs can't do? :ussr:

Any problem can always be solved with enough heavily armored bomb dropping attack blimps. :black101:

evilmiera posted:

RA 2 was when the series started becoming too hammy. Yuris revenge is when it REALLY got hammy. But that's just a personal preference, I know a lot of people love the direction the series took.

And I can't ever fault people for absolutely loving stuff like going to space or the top tier performances of the Soviets.

The hammyness definitely goes up a notable notch in RA2, although most of it is contained in the Soviet campaign, and even in the far more serious RA1, the Soviet side had a bit of it with mood-swing Stalin and Nadia's over the top villain speech at the end. Personally I also prefer the more serious tone of TD and TS/FS, but RA2 I felt had just the right amount of ham and seriousness for a game set in an alt. timeline with attack blimps, light beam shooting tanks, and guys that can teleport around with a time wipe gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, I like the moderate ham in RA2 more than the grimdark Tiberian universe and way, way more than the over the top ham in the next RA. RA hit a sweet spot

White Coke
May 29, 2015

UED Special Ops posted:

You dare doubt the loyalty of Commander Rexy? Also, it has been shown that Yuri and his Psi Core can not control animals sooo, yeah, he be dino food.

Yuri can't mind control the brains of lower life forms, so of course he managed to subvert and control Commander Rexy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I know it's really easy to forget, but please wait to talk about later games until their own threads have come up.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Yuri can't mind control the brains of lower life forms, so of course he managed to subvert and control Commander Rexy.

Ahh but remember hero units are immune to mind control in YR, and Rexy is a Hero of the Soviet Union, thus easily immune to Yuri's tricks.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

evilmiera posted:

RA 2 was when the series started becoming too hammy. Yuris revenge is when it REALLY got hammy. But that's just a personal preference, I know a lot of people love the direction the series took.

And I can't ever fault people for absolutely loving stuff like going to space or the top tier performances of the Soviets.

The feeling of a cold war going hot is definitely gone by YR, and the soundtrack is probably the thing suffering the most from it, taking more of a 60s sci-fi shlock feeling instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Count me as someone who likes the next Red Alert the best. I feel like these games are fundamentally silly as hell and I enjoy the next one for going completely absurd with it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Count me as someone who likes the next Red Alert the best. I feel like these games are fundamentally silly as hell and I enjoy the next one for going completely absurd with it.

And that's completely fine. My personal preference was always the more serious tone mixed with some hammy villainy to make for memorable characters.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I like the gameplay concepts in the next one the most in the series. The campaigns are meh, but I will leave elaborating to when we get there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For me, RA2 hits a really great sweet spot of being camp and hammy without being completely over the top absurd.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, I think ra2 is the sweet spot of goofy played serious. Ra1 and the tiberium games feel too serious for a series with time travel joy buzzer murder involved.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Say what you will about how silly this one is but Yuri mind controlling the missile command guy in the intro was legit scary to me as a kid when it came out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm still reading through the thread but I'm excited about this LP! Red Alert 2 got me through when I was recuperating from major surgery in high school, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Is this the Steam version being played? I've never seemed to find a version of RA2 that works on modern computers and my original game disks won't load on my laptop.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm still reading through the thread but I'm excited about this LP! Red Alert 2 got me through when I was recuperating from major surgery in high school, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Is this the Steam version being played? I've never seemed to find a version of RA2 that works on modern computers and my original game disks won't load on my laptop.

There's no Steam version of RA2. Not yet, anyways.

Its like half & half with the CNCNet version, but I don't use the higher resolutions in the campaign because it screws with the cutscenes, and sometimes crashing the game as a result.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's no Steam version of RA2. Not yet, anyways.

Its like half & half with the CNCNet version, but I don't use the higher resolutions in the campaign because it screws with the cutscenes, and sometimes crashing the game as a result.

:aaa: THANK YOU! I didn't think this would work without installing the original game files. Guess I know how I'll be spending the rest of the holidays....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:aaa: THANK YOU! I didn't think this would work without installing the original game files. Guess I know how I'll be spending the rest of the holidays....

I should also mention that the one fix I found for higher resolutions, or just for it to not screw up (It's been a while) isn't from CNC Net and it also gets flagged by windows defender so I'm not linking it out of precaution.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Say what you will about how silly this one is but Yuri mind controlling the missile command guy in the intro was legit scary to me as a kid when it came out.

Yeah, like I said earlier, RA2 had a solid mix of silly and serious moments, with YR beginning to verge on the silly side a tad much, doubling down with the Soviet side especially.

THE BAR posted:

The feeling of a cold war going hot is definitely gone by YR, and the soundtrack is probably the thing suffering the most from it, taking more of a 60s sci-fi shlock feeling instead.

Honestly the soundtrack of YR, while decent with a couple of pretty solid songs, overall doesn't really hold up vs the amazing RA2 soundtack. Then again, Hell March 2 is THE song of RA2 and a fantastic continuation of Hell March from RA1 so it is kinda stacked right from the start there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

UED Special Ops posted:

Honestly the soundtrack of YR, while decent with a couple of pretty solid songs, overall doesn't really hold up vs the amazing RA2 soundtack. Then again, Hell March 2 is THE song of RA2 and a fantastic continuation of Hell March from RA1 so it is kinda stacked right from the start there.

YR's soundtrack is much more electronic and trance-like. It has a few good ones, but they sort of blend together for me. And while HM2 is a classic, one should never forget RA2's total bangers like Grinder and In Deep. Especially In Deep captures that whole cold war gone hot thing I really appreciate.

Drok, Brain Freeze, and Trance L. Vania are pretty much the only YR tracks I bother listening to.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Red Alert 2 is a glorious 70s movie with a high budget and taking itself JUUUUST serious enough to be funny. It plays its wacky concept straight and is all the better for it.

Yuri's Revenge moved firmly into atomic horror and outright goofiness. The tone shift is palpable, but YR's extra units do make for a better game - and note that the goofiness is mostly (mostly) in the missions. The actual FMVs still keep the RA2 edge to them, particularly the intro.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

YR's soundtrack is much more electronic and trance-like. It has a few good ones, but they sort of blend together for me. And while HM2 is a classic, one should never forget RA2's total bangers like Grinder and In Deep. Especially In Deep captures that whole cold war gone hot thing I really appreciate.

Drok, Brain Freeze, and Trance L. Vania are pretty much the only YR tracks I bother listening to.

Yeah, RA2 has a ton of excellent tracks, HM2 is just the most iconic and recognizable one of em all for me at least. In Deep playing during the install process though, mhh, such good memories...

Loxbourne posted:

Red Alert 2 is a glorious 70s movie with a high budget and taking itself JUUUUST serious enough to be funny. It plays its wacky concept straight and is all the better for it.

Yuri's Revenge moved firmly into atomic horror and outright goofiness. The tone shift is palpable, but YR's extra units do make for a better game - and note that the goofiness is mostly (mostly) in the missions. The actual FMVs still keep the RA2 edge to them, particularly the intro.

Fair enough, the Soviet FMVs are a bit more silly then RA2s, but Romanov is just having such a grand time in them you can't help but smile. And yeah, YR intro definitely is pretty stark. Still wish that YR had the RA2 soundtrack alongside its own, like how Firestorm added in some new songs but kept the TS soundtrack as well. And being fair to YR as a whole, both TD and RA1 had goofy mini-campaigns with the dinos and giant ants respectively, so making a whole expansion be a goofy old time does track I guess.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Skirmish 01: Yuri's Revenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdEyRgdRTo
Yuri's Revenge

Now that the campaigns are done, it's time to show off Yuri's buildings and forces. Additionally, it's time to reveal some of the more secret units the game has to offer. Nothing challenging here, just showcasing content which, sadly, never got their own missions.

N/A

Objective: Destroy All Opponents

Briefing: Showcase Yuri and his Boys (and Girls).

Author's note: Playing vs some Easy AI specifically to show off Yuri's forces and hidden units.

N/A

N/A

Aftermath:

N/A

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From what I remember the Flak IFV actually can't shoot down air units, it's strictly ground only.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

From what I remember the Flak IFV actually can't shoot down air units, it's strictly ground only.

So it does... and interestingly the rules file also states that the Rocketeer gets the same attack in an IFV. Maybe its possible to park an IFV close enough to a barracks with a rocketeer exiting where they CAN get in? I'll see if I can test that during a co-op mission thing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm 100% sure you get Chrono Yuris when infiltrating a Yuri battle lab. They can mind control units and blow up buildings like Tanya or Seals.

E:

The Psychic Dominator always blows up things around the mind controlled area. And did I miss it, or did you not try Yuri Prime's ability to take control of buildings? It's, uh, pretty bonkers. Also, you can have two of him (and any other hero unit) with the cloning vats.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 13, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015

THE BAR posted:

I'm 100% sure you get Chrono Yuris when infiltrating a Yuri battle lab. They can mind control units and blow up buildings like Tanya or Seals.

They're called Psi commandos but otherwise you're right. They can't do the psi blast nor do they teleport though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

White Coke posted:

They're called Psi commandos but otherwise you're right. They can't do the psi blast nor do they teleport though.

Oh they just walk? That's a pity.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
One other thing about Yuri Prime is that he can float over water, which helps with mobility on certain VS maps. Also yeah, anything that isn't Tanya, Boris, or another Yuri Prime can be mind controlled with Prime, and you can have two at once thanks to the cloning facility. He is helpless vs air units and Robot Tanks though (I don't think Terror Drones can damage him but might be wrong) and needs a strong support force or surprise to be effective, but if one can get in range of a Con. Yard its pretty much game over. Magnatrons also need a solid support core, but with their range they work wonders as a siege unit, and for bringing in a high value vehicle in for mind control by a Yuri Clone. In general Yuri's faction kind of demands some solid micro to get the most out of his units, but man are they nasty when used well, and especially for the Soviets, tough to counter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've always used magnatrons with gatling tanks melting the enemy unit as it's helplessly floating towards them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Imagine turteling along, and suddenly every 15 seconds, an IFV comes into your base and explodes.
One of my favorite tactics when playing against friends, which I couldn't talk about because spoilers, was capturing the ability to get an IFV and putting Crazy Ivans in them, then send them along to the enemy at quite a short interval.

Also, I can't remember, did you test desolators in the IFV?

And finally, couldn't you simply use the Chronosphere or Magnetrons to move those subs onto land, and having them explode?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Imagine turteling along, and suddenly every 15 seconds, an IFV comes into your base and explodes.
One of my favorite tactics when playing against friends, which I couldn't talk about because spoilers, was capturing the ability to get an IFV and putting Crazy Ivans in them, then send them along to the enemy at quite a short interval.

Also, I can't remember, did you test desolators in the IFV?

And finally, couldn't you simply use the Chronosphere or Magnetrons to move those subs onto land, and having them explode?

I didn't test devastators, snipers, etc because they are faction specific and would have required a separate setup for each faction, as capturing their buildings doesn't grant access to their special unit, afaik.

And I could've but I think my Chronosphere was on cooldown and I didn't make any other magnetrons. The Chrono absolutely works and I assume the Mag works.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Couldn't you have done it in the level editor?

(http://www.cnclabs.com/maps/redalert2/finalalert2/)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Couldn't you have done it in the level editor?

(http://www.cnclabs.com/maps/redalert2/finalalert2/)

Haven't delved too far into it, but I'll give it a look before/after checking out mission maps and release as a bonus video if need be.

Otherwise, I'll just check the rules file, as a lot of units get grouped together.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

White Coke posted:

That reminds me: There's actually one of these in the Soviet Campaign. On mission 10, hidden on an island north of the Battle Lab you have to capture.

And while I'm posting random little details: The Chrono Legionnaire actually has a walking animation. The unit itself never uses it, but if you disguise a Spy as one...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

UED Special Ops posted:

One other thing about Yuri Prime is that he can float over water, which helps with mobility on certain VS maps. Also yeah, anything that isn't Tanya, Boris, or another Yuri Prime can be mind controlled with Prime, and you can have two at once thanks to the cloning facility. He is helpless vs air units and Robot Tanks though (I don't think Terror Drones can damage him but might be wrong) and needs a strong support force or surprise to be effective, but if one can get in range of a Con. Yard its pretty much game over. Magnatrons also need a solid support core, but with their range they work wonders as a siege unit, and for bringing in a high value vehicle in for mind control by a Yuri Clone. In general Yuri's faction kind of demands some solid micro to get the most out of his units, but man are they nasty when used well, and especially for the Soviets, tough to counter.

I think you can get Yuri Prime in the base game too through infiltrating a Soviet battle lab while you also have one, or some similar convoluted way, but he just functions like a more powerful Yuri clone, he can't control buildings. He does float though, but just hovers off the ground instead of using a hover chair. I don't know if he can hover over water though.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oh yeah, the criteria for the spy-only units were a little different in the base game. Off the top of my head:
Allied Battle Lab: Chrono Commando
Soviet Battle Lab: Psychic Commando
And then, if you also captured a Soviet Barracks:
Allied Battle Lab + Soviet Barracks: Chrono Ivan
Soviet Battle Lab + Soviet Barracks: Yuri Prime

IIRC, the vanilla Yuri Prime can't control buildings - instead he gets absolutely ridiculous range. I think he outranges Prism Tanks.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yuri Prime wasn't in the original game, you just got a Psychic Commando (controls minds, can plant C4).

EDIT: I've checked and apparently when you could build them as a Soviet player, they were called Yuri! But they were the psi-troopers from the campaign, with mind control and the psychic blast power rather than C4.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 14, 2021

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Yuri Prime wasn't in the original game, you just got a Psychic Commando (controls minds, can plant C4).

EDIT: I've checked and apparently when you could build them as a Soviet player, they were called Yuri! But they were the psi-troopers from the campaign, with mind control and the psychic blast power rather than C4.

:colbert: (Also featuring a Psi Commando to his left.)

Not able to float over water, but has absurd range:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No episode tomorrow, its been a heck of a week, but I'll try to make sure I get one or two done for the next. Sorry everyone!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Red Alert 2 Maps: Original Campaigns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSTVxeHMH4
Maps: Original Campaigns

Map video in the pipes, with Yuri's Revenge maps to follow. This video gave me hell, with Premiere crashing constantly, footage becoming corrupted (which killed my footage for the Soviet 01 mission) and hard-locking my PC.

Actual gameplay footage at 04:04, 08:40, and 47:26.

N/A

Objective: Reveal Secrets

Briefing: Showcasing the original Red Alert 2 maps.

Author's note: Exploring the maps

N/A

N/A

Aftermath:

N/A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So that's what's at the top of tutorial 1 - I've always wondered.

There's a little thing in tutorial 2: If you garrison the outhouse at the top right, the sergeant will reprimand you for taking potty breaks.