Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Extremely good

I've decided we should do a Christmas print swap so here's the thread to join in: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014463

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Pray for me goons, I'm trying to inflict these on some flea marketers.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Good luck!

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone have a prescored 8x9 cardstock (for 4x9 pano cards) that they like? I’ve been using Red River Pecos 60# gloss but this paper curls like a mofo and I keep getting head strikes.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 16, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At first I interpeted that picture as a wall display of your stuff and I choose to keep on viewing that way because it's an awesome way to show your stuff.

Photo collages are still cool, right?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I'm working on my Fine Arts degree and have finally made it to some classes where I get access to neat toys. I'm doing dark room enlargements and using large format Epson printers.

So far I've done 8x10 pearl sheets and 11x14 satin sheets for enlargements in the darkroom. I absolutely love the film process, I had never shot or processed film in my life prior to this.

For printing of my digital images I've gotten up to doing 13x19 Velvet Fine Art paper and the quality is just bonkers. I've been slowly getting into framing and matting things, but drat can frames start to set you back some money.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Viginti Septem posted:

I'm working on my Fine Arts degree and have finally made it to some classes where I get access to neat toys. I'm doing dark room enlargements and using large format Epson printers.

So far I've done 8x10 pearl sheets and 11x14 satin sheets for enlargements in the darkroom. I absolutely love the film process, I had never shot or processed film in my life prior to this.

For printing of my digital images I've gotten up to doing 13x19 Velvet Fine Art paper and the quality is just bonkers. I've been slowly getting into framing and matting things, but drat can frames start to set you back some money.

Being in the darkroom is rad and good. We have a specific darkroom thread if you have any questions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938540&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Megabound posted:

Being in the darkroom is rad and good. We have a specific darkroom thread if you have any questions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938540&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Neat, thank you!

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Thanks, it went great! I sold all of the NES games I had, a few of the records, and three of my prints! A new restaurant bought a $3 3x5 to show his partners for something to blow up and hang, so I'm excited to see if that goes anywhere.
Overall, A+ Sunday morning. The venue had great coffee, music and egg sandwiches.
It was a beautiful old bar in a small college town in New England. A collection of vendors with 18th century tableware, kitsch, fun decor and vintage clothes.
Lots of good film chat.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nice which 3x5

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

This pic of a carousel horse from a series I shot in Providence RI. Now to dig up the negative...

Also, I love collage, though I haven't done anything since covid. One of the other prints I sold was to a guy who bought it to cut up for a collage.

majour333 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 17, 2022

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Beautiful stuff guys and gals.

I've never printed before myself and want to inflict more financial pain on my bank account. Is a Canon P100 still the beginning printer of choice to shell out for? Trolling ebay and CL shows this guy to still be selling for $300+

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

adnam posted:

Beautiful stuff guys and gals.

I've never printed before myself and want to inflict more financial pain on my bank account. Is a Canon P100 still the beginning printer of choice to shell out for? Trolling ebay and CL shows this guy to still be selling for $300+

It's a good printer but there's an updated model (pixma pro 100s), plus these used to be free with camera bundles 5 years ago. The Canon inks are around $120/set. There are 3rd party inks too but I don't have any direct experience with those. I've printed thousands of photo greeting cards on mine and they still look really good. If there's any special size you need printed borderless you might check on that.

Can't speak to the Epson equivalents.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I really love this one

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

hey thanks! next time we do a swap i'll make sure to include this one.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Love it

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ty

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

Would anyone be interested in contributing to a zine? I'd potentially be up for organizing/layout and being on the hook for the printing fees of something small-ish.

These are great, the rose and the couch are standouts, the texture of the latter is lovely.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

digitalist posted:

Would anyone be interested in contributing to a zine? I'd potentially be up for organizing/layout and being on the hook for the printing fees of something small-ish.

I regretted not submitting to the last Dorkroom zine. Count me in for a photo.

Crummy phone photo of a print of mine in an exhibit at a local photo collective. I bought the frame years ago and I was stoked how the print looks in it.

Photo of Siblings Print on Flickr

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

BetterLekNextTime posted:

A few additional thoughts on this, I see this as something that will take a few months to put together, looking at spring or summer to have a final product. I would like a unifying theme, although I'm not really sure what that could be right now. I'd also like this to be an opportunity for everyone who wants to participate to do that. If you're new to photography and are interested in feedback/guidance producing something that would fit whatever theme is chosen, I would be happy to help. There should be plenty of time to develop interesting contributions.

As for choosing the theme, number of pages, size, color vs b&w, I'm open to suggestions. Surely there's a creative/interesting way to tie everything together nicely.

Crummy phone photo of a print of mine in an exhibit at a local photo collective. I bought the frame years ago and I was stoked how the print looks in it.

Photo of Siblings Print on Flickr

I like the photo, and the frame complements it well, nice work! You reminded me of the only time I've ever had my work exhibited, my old university put on an exhibit for students to display their work, it was nice. Photography really is meant to be printed and shared, it's a good feeling to have all that hard work rewarded with something tangible, hopefully a zine can capture some of that.

The two on the left are mine,

Originals are here, the scans in that link were done with a normal flatbed scanner which produced an interesting results but were not what I ultimately printed and displayed. I used the Epson v600 scans for that.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 20, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the zine would need an idea to represent, or it will suffer an aimless fate and fall flat

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

bobmarleysghost posted:

the zine would need an idea to represent, or it will suffer an aimless fate and fall flat

:hmmyes:

I have a few ideas as far as a name goes but I want to find some time to sit down and brainstorm a bunch more. I can easily (relatively) think of themes that would fit my own photography but I'm afraid those ideas might be overly constraining and exclude others. I would really like this project to be community driven and to that end would be perfectly happy just being the guy who puts up the initial cash needed to get it done. Using napkin math, I'm thinking that copies could be ~10$ (Total costs of zine / # of printed copies = sale price). Any shortfall I'd eat, any surplus (if it's even possible), depending on the amount, could be used in a contest, donated, returned to contributors or something along those lines. Roughly ~2 years ago I looked into printing a photo book and I think the numbers could be realistic, but I'll have to do more research on that front that's for sure. I would also like to have mods/someone audit the numbers to keep things transparent.

Anyway, just throwing the idea out there, I'm not really concerned about the timeline for the time being. The first step would be to develop the idea and see how much interest there is.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 21, 2022

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I think I'll just edit this post in the future because this is probably entering derail territory.

This is theme that could include all types of photography: birds, animals, landscape, urban, people, etc.. The idea itself could be tweaked to better fit whatever it is we do here, replicating this would be far far too ambitious but maybe there's something we can riff off and make our own. As is, it also strikes me as "too serious", but who knows.

quote:

We have reached an unprecedented moment in planetary history. Humans now affect the Earth and its processes more than all other natural forces combined. The Anthropocene Project is a multidisciplinary body of work combining fine art photography, film, virtual reality, augmented reality, and scientific research to investigate human influence on the state, dynamic, and future of the Earth. 

The Holocene epoch started 11,700 years ago as the glaciers of the last ice age receded. Geologists and other scientists from the Anthropocene Working Group believe that we have left the Holocene and entered a new epoch: the Anthropocene. Their argument is that humans have become the single most defining force on the planet and that the evidence for this is overwhelming. Terraforming of the earth through mining, urbanization, industrialization and agriculture; the proliferation of dams and diverting of waterways; CO2 and acidification of oceans due to climate change; the pervasive presence around the globe of plastics, concrete, and other technofossils; unprecedented rates of deforestation and extinction: these human incursions, they argue, are so massive in scope that they have already entered, and will endure in, geological time.
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/the-anthropocene-project/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYWCrsXXxQg

Some photos here, https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/books/anthropocene

I own this book, so I could probably track down additional photos. Anyway, just brainstorming ideas.

edit: Here's a trailer to movie they produced,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMlCxzO-94
it was a bad idea leaving us the with keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgnlkJPga4
This one is interesting, can help you think of the problem but from/in a more abstract, lateral way (long winded).

A podcast, after an episode not sure how they'll tie it into the theme above, or if it will even do that. https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/anthropocene-reviewed Entertaining enough and could be a source of inspiration.

This is from the book,

quote:

"How Anthropo-scenic!":
Karla McManus
Concerns and Debates about the Age of the Human
There is a lot of talk about the Anthropocene. As we circle the drain, our greatest thinkers and provocateurs-including scientists and artists- are debating, disagreeing, and disrupting the concept of the new geological epoch, the literal Age of Human. When did it start? people ask. Who is responsible? Can we prevent more change or at least slow it down? Will naming it help? Some of this is just semantics, of course, a debate about the details, not the concept itself. Yet from another perspective, semantics-that, at times, dismissive term used to describe the practice of nitpicking-is at the very heart of the cultural understanding of human communication and meaning-formation. Words have power, after all, and those who wield them even more. When we argue about the basic meaning of a term-for example, does the anthropo imply human responsibility is equally shared?-we are making cultural decisions about what the Anthropocene will mean to people for years, maybe even centuries, to come. This is an important dialogue, even if it can sometimes come across as petty or schismatic. Perhaps the biggest question of all is one rooted in the dynamics of power: Who gets to decide the answers to these questions?

These debates are guided by the question of what it means to be human on the planet, when we have irrevocably altered the balance of the earth's systems: the hydrosphere, the biosphere, the pedosphere, the atmosphere. These changes are beyond physical; they have affected our cultures and histories, driven wars and alliances, shaped our economies, and influenced the way people have been enslaved, subjugated, and exploited, from the age of agriculture to the age of steam and the microchip. We have disrupted and altered our global climate, acidified our waters, triggered the mass extinction of biodiversity, transformed ecosystems that we rely on for life, polluted vast areas of land and water, all the while reproducing at a rate that requires more and more resources that are becoming scarcer!

The complexities and interdependencies of these systems are only now becoming understood, even while we change them irrevocably. How do we even begin to draw a line or plant a spike to say, "This is when it all started"?

You can find a lot of the photos on Edward Burtynsky's website,
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/photographs/anthropocene

edit6?: Maybe I should move this to its own thread?

vvv :love:

digitalist fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 24, 2022

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I find that theme very interesting, and would be honored to contribute something.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got the Kodak P300R printer (3" x 3" printer). I plan to edit raw photos in Lightroom, export to square, and send to my phone to print. I can barely find any details about the printer online. I'd like to get the most out of it, which might be asking too much of a printer aimed at folks wanting to print out snapshots they take on their phone. Are there any settings I can tweak in Lightroom to get the best print? I went with 300 PPI, resized to 900px by 900px, and sharpened for glossy.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

If you can get a paper profile you can do soft-proofing in Lightroom which I find makes a big difference.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One of the local art associations organizes public art exhibits in some of the government buildings. I joined this year and they already asked me to if I'd like to have some photos at the Department of Motor Vehicles office. I had some already matted stuff and added one new one that I printed and framed from a recent photo.

IMG_3240 on Flickr

I dropped them off yesterday and went by to day to see them hung. Unfortunately it's a super janky installation but heck, it's just fun to have some things up on a wall.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Forgive the terrible camera phone quality, but I recently resurrected my printer after probably more than a year of not using it at all. The strange thing is I had zero issues with the printer after all this time, the issue I've been having turns out to be more due to the age of my paper. For my semi-gloss paper I use Ilford gold fibre silk, and the boxes of paper I've had for a few years now have all curled over time and in the humid air here, resulting in the print head striking the edges of the paper during printing.

If you look at the bottom right edge of that page you can see streaks of ink from where the head was hitting the edge of the page, and this is after I already tried my best to un-curl the edges of this sheet. Luckily in this case I'm going to frame this with a matt and the ink blotches didn't get onto the actual image, but I've had a few prints where the head dropped a big blob of ink in a super obvious part of the image.

So yeah if you're getting ink streaking or blobs, especially on the edges of the paper, it could be because your paper isn't flat enough.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have that problem sometimes with my greeting card paper (Red River Pecos 60# Gloss). Something about it being light weight and having a coated and non-coated surface and it will decide to curl like a mofo. They have this great pre-scored stock for 4x9 cards but it became unusable for me on my printer. I started printing 2 per 11x17 sheet which is probably a little cheaper but definitely adds to the work to cut and score it myself.

Some printers have an option to raise the print head a bit so you might see if that will help.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some printers have an option to raise the print head a bit so you might see if that will help.

Yeah I looked into that, I have an Epson P400 which is their bottom-tier dedicated photo printer and it seems to be missing a lot of that fine-adjustment stuff. From what I've found there's no direct way of setting head height, the only thing I've read might effect it is which of the generic paper types you chose in the print options window, but there's no information telling you exactly what each paper type actually does.

Like clearly if you choose a matt paper the printer won't use the 'gloss optimiser' ink because it's not glossy paper, but there's half a dozen glossy/matt paper types with no explanation of the differences between them, so you just have to pick the one you think is closest.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of (inkjet) printing some pages for small desk calendars, probably with ~4x6 or 5x7 loose sheets for each month that slip into a small wooden stand. I don't need the paper that size -- I'll probably trim out of a larger sheet to save money but just to give you a sense of the project. I suppose if the price difference isn't too bad I'd take something that size. Looking for recs for paper. I'll probably get a sample pack or two from Red River and maybe look at the plant fiber sheets from Hannemule but figured I'd ask here too. Ideal paper would be:

-Matte
-prefer a pretty bright white I think
-maybe lightly textured
-stiff/heavy enough not to be all wobbly but not so stiff I have to single-sheet it through the back feed of my printer.
-cheap
-does not need to be ph balanced or archival

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I use Epson Hot Press Natural, which is warmish, but try the Bright version of the hot press - https://epson.ca/For-Work/Paper/Pro-Imaging/Hot-Press-Bright-Paper/m/S042336

The hot press is pretty smooth but there's a subtle texture to it that I like.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

bobmarleysghost posted:

I use Epson Hot Press Natural, which is warmish, but try the Bright version of the hot press - https://epson.ca/For-Work/Paper/Pro-Imaging/Hot-Press-Bright-Paper/m/S042336

The hot press is pretty smooth but there's a subtle texture to it that I like.

Hot press Bright is ridiculous. My studio professor brought in a roll and said I could print whatever. The colors are so deeply saturated (good thing). But I should have toned down the exposure a tad, it is very bright.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll probably pick up a sampler pack and see how they check out against the Moab versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Phone camera is dogshit, looks a lot better in person. Makes me wish I had some good gallery style lighting because the natural light in this spot doesn't do it much justice, but eh nobody but me is going to look at it anyway :P