Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

So I'll start off with beginner questions:

What are some good starting printers that are just a price-point below the Epson SP400?

Say that the price of the Epson would be my total budget for a printer and calibrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I'm in Yurop (Denmark) which means everything is about 60x more expensive, so 100 dollar Pro-100 are not really here yet :)

I'll try and dig through some reviews different places. I'll be honest, I don't think I would do anything above A4, so having a big A3 printer sitting around might be overkill. Although I would imagine that bigger print sizes also means "better" printer?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

I visited Denmark about two years ago, you have no idea how expensive a coffee is there when converted into New Zealand dollars...

I feel your pain about pricing though, everything costs more down here than the USA too. It really depends what you want to do with the prints I guess? A4 is pretty small for a print unless it's a snapshot. I'm using a large format film camera so I'd feel like I was wasting my time unless i was printing at least A3, might as well save myself the time and money and stick to 35mm (or my phone camera).

I'll be honest and it's a combination of having considered getting some of the 10+ years of pictures I have taken printed, and having an abundance of time now with corona virus. It won't be for selling prints or exhibiting anything - Just for my own sake and for giving out some shots to family and friends.

I have a film camera and I just have a store develop them for me, and I would like to try printing the ones from my digital camera myself...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Any thoughts on Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

For the Pixma Pro-100, maybe look on Craigslist or whatever your equivalent is. Canon often bundles them with cameras or kits, or occasionally have such good rebates that people buy a new printer just for the ink.

Yeah, used market is non-existent. Plus I don't really wanna meet and exchange goods with a stranger in these times.

Current cheapest prices new:

Epson SureColor SC-P400 - 615 USD
Canon Pixma Pro 100S - 465 USD
Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 - 280 USD

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Pro 100S has 350 gsm max - not up to speed on paper specifications but the internet tells me 300+ is business card thickness. Don't think those 65 extra are what is gonna convince me to spend an extra 160.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I actually ended up just buying a few different stocks to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

255 gsm is actually a lot thinner than I thought. Bought 655 gsm (mistakenly turned out to be magnetic paper for fridge magnets). It still seems fairly flexible.

Might have persuaded me to look for something that can print thicker stock.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I ended up buying a 100S

My initial thoughts:

Way bigger than I thought, but then again I don't really know what I expected from a printer that can do A3.

Really quiet - Don't remember ever hearing a printer this quiet. No humming when in standby, only slight sounds from movement of the printer head when printing.

Setup is bullshit. Like 2005 printer driver level of poo poo.

Multiple tries to connect it using WPS, getting suggestions for using direct USB cable (no USB cable was in my box), using pin code WPS which requires printing before calibration (not a big deal).
After successfully getting it connected to Wifi with WPS Pin (requires combinations of pressing buttons and waiting for 6, and then 8 blinks of LED) I was allowed to install all Canon software, including the driver.

The driver setup started after all other installs were done and the first step says it cannot find the printer on the network and suggests using USB again. Points to a fantastic troubleshooting guide out of 1995 that suggests you check if you can load regular webpages, "Are you sure you are connected to your wifi", and make sure you are not too far away from your router.

Quit the driver install, went to Devices and installed it manually (where it was shown as connected), got all utils running and did calibration.

Really minor points:
Power cable is really short.

No real information about which side it will print on when loading paper (just assumed it would be the side facing out when loading).

Manual refers to PIXMA Printing Solutions for printing from mobile devices. No app with that name in the Apple App Store.
Another part of the manual refers to Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app which does exist on the App Store, but is installed as something just called "PRINT" which requires Location Services to be on in order to search for the printer on your network (?????)

Finally doing some test prints now.

refleks fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 26, 2020

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Had some time to print up some stuff - both my own and some other things I found online to test it.

Really impressed with the prints. Can't really tell the difference between the prints I get and something developed for me at a photo shop.

Still less than pleased with the drivers/utils. They broke my Windows install and had to do a system restore, which removed everything. Then, after re-installing they broke Windows again, and now system restore doesn't work, so I'm formatting my PC and then trying to figure out what can be done.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

drat that sucks :S The Epson drivers and utilities are janky and look like they were made for windows 95 but at least they didn't break my computer.

They're all labelled as updated in 2015/2016 on Canon's website, so...

I think I have found a stable solution (nothing but the driver) and will continue my experimenting. Got a lot of different types of paper I want to try. Something called Somerset Enhanced

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Canon Pro 100S update:

Still impressed by the prints. Made a few prints and mounted it on some foam-board as a birthday present for my dad.

Only issue I've run into has been some A3 Canon Pro Premium Matte PM-101 printing incredibly weak color (B/W).

Printed the exact same picture with no settings changes on Somerset Enhanced Photo Paper and using the profile for that type of paper and it came out as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

probably not the case but were you printing on the right side of the canon paper?

Yeah, I checked and just for safety tried printing on both sides.

It's like its running very close to empty and in draft mode in terms of saturation of the color.