Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This is kinda last minute, but one of the paper reps from Moab is doing a free webinar at 2pm eastern.

I went to one of his in-person workshops at my local camera place and it was pretty helpful if you get confused by all the paper profiles and color management stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are cool.

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any sort of standard "wide" or "pano" print aspect ratio? My home printers do up to 13x19 paper, and it seems like the standard mats are for e.g. 8x10 or maybe 12x18 print. I'd be interested in doing something like 9x18 or maybe even 6x18, but ideally whatever I chose there would be easy to find frames and hopefully mats. I know you can custom make or order anything but it would be cool if it there was an off-the-shelf solution.

Also Another free class from Moab

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For the Pixma Pro-100, maybe look on Craigslist or whatever your equivalent is. Canon often bundles them with cameras or kits, or occasionally have such good rebates that people buy a new printer just for the ink. And the canon inks are a bit steep (It's usually around $110-$120 for a whole set, or ~$15-$18 for individual cartridges), but if Canon USA almost always has some sort of free paper promo if you want to use their papers. I print and sell greeting cards on Red River glossy cardstock and the cards look really good. I ended up getting a Pixma Pro-10 for selling prints. Figured I could charge a little more if it's got the pigment ink and I do it on acid free paper and mats.

I might try to try 3rd party ink for the Pro 100 during our shelter in place.

Blackhawk posted:

I think that 3:1 is a somewhat standard pano ratio? The only specific product I've seen for printing panoramas is this paper: https://www.fotospeed.com/Fotospeed-Panoramic-Paper/products/1145/

Not sure about mats though, I bought myself a 45 degree mat cutter and have used that to make my own of whatever size I want, it's a ton of work and tricky to get looking perfect though. I still haven't tried framing anything of mine yet but I'm 90% of the way there.

Thanks! I actually got a mat cutter for Christmas last year but haven't yet tried it out. The mat kits that have everything ready to go are so convenient!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good luck!

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone have a prescored 8x9 cardstock (for 4x9 pano cards) that they like? I’ve been using Red River Pecos 60# gloss but this paper curls like a mofo and I keep getting head strikes.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 16, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

adnam posted:

Beautiful stuff guys and gals.

I've never printed before myself and want to inflict more financial pain on my bank account. Is a Canon P100 still the beginning printer of choice to shell out for? Trolling ebay and CL shows this guy to still be selling for $300+

It's a good printer but there's an updated model (pixma pro 100s), plus these used to be free with camera bundles 5 years ago. The Canon inks are around $120/set. There are 3rd party inks too but I don't have any direct experience with those. I've printed thousands of photo greeting cards on mine and they still look really good. If there's any special size you need printed borderless you might check on that.

Can't speak to the Epson equivalents.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

digitalist posted:

Would anyone be interested in contributing to a zine? I'd potentially be up for organizing/layout and being on the hook for the printing fees of something small-ish.

I regretted not submitting to the last Dorkroom zine. Count me in for a photo.

Crummy phone photo of a print of mine in an exhibit at a local photo collective. I bought the frame years ago and I was stoked how the print looks in it.

Photo of Siblings Print on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One of the local art associations organizes public art exhibits in some of the government buildings. I joined this year and they already asked me to if I'd like to have some photos at the Department of Motor Vehicles office. I had some already matted stuff and added one new one that I printed and framed from a recent photo.

IMG_3240 on Flickr

I dropped them off yesterday and went by to day to see them hung. Unfortunately it's a super janky installation but heck, it's just fun to have some things up on a wall.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have that problem sometimes with my greeting card paper (Red River Pecos 60# Gloss). Something about it being light weight and having a coated and non-coated surface and it will decide to curl like a mofo. They have this great pre-scored stock for 4x9 cards but it became unusable for me on my printer. I started printing 2 per 11x17 sheet which is probably a little cheaper but definitely adds to the work to cut and score it myself.

Some printers have an option to raise the print head a bit so you might see if that will help.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of (inkjet) printing some pages for small desk calendars, probably with ~4x6 or 5x7 loose sheets for each month that slip into a small wooden stand. I don't need the paper that size -- I'll probably trim out of a larger sheet to save money but just to give you a sense of the project. I suppose if the price difference isn't too bad I'd take something that size. Looking for recs for paper. I'll probably get a sample pack or two from Red River and maybe look at the plant fiber sheets from Hannemule but figured I'd ask here too. Ideal paper would be:

-Matte
-prefer a pretty bright white I think
-maybe lightly textured
-stiff/heavy enough not to be all wobbly but not so stiff I have to single-sheet it through the back feed of my printer.
-cheap
-does not need to be ph balanced or archival

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll probably pick up a sampler pack and see how they check out against the Moab versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just coming here to say how weird it is that when my printer driver got out of sync on my Pro-10, everything printed normally except red. Finally figured it out and my monarch butterflies and foxes look normal again.