Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Would anyone be interested in contributing to a zine? I'd potentially be up for organizing/layout and being on the hook for the printing fees of something small-ish.

These are great, the rose and the couch are standouts, the texture of the latter is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I regretted not submitting to the last Dorkroom zine. Count me in for a photo.

A few additional thoughts on this, I see this as something that will take a few months to put together, looking at spring or summer to have a final product. I would like a unifying theme, although I'm not really sure what that could be right now. I'd also like this to be an opportunity for everyone who wants to participate to do that. If you're new to photography and are interested in feedback/guidance producing something that would fit whatever theme is chosen, I would be happy to help. There should be plenty of time to develop interesting contributions.

As for choosing the theme, number of pages, size, color vs b&w, I'm open to suggestions. Surely there's a creative/interesting way to tie everything together nicely.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I regretted not submitting to the last Dorkroom zine. Count me in for a photo.

Crummy phone photo of a print of mine in an exhibit at a local photo collective. I bought the frame years ago and I was stoked how the print looks in it.

Photo of Siblings Print on Flickr

I like the photo, and the frame complements it well, nice work! You reminded me of the only time I've ever had my work exhibited, my old university put on an exhibit for students to display their work, it was nice. Photography really is meant to be printed and shared, it's a good feeling to have all that hard work rewarded with something tangible, hopefully a zine can capture some of that.

The two on the left are mine,

Originals are here, the scans in that link were done with a normal flatbed scanner which produced an interesting results but were not what I ultimately printed and displayed. I used the Epson v600 scans for that.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 20, 2022

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

bobmarleysghost posted:

the zine would need an idea to represent, or it will suffer an aimless fate and fall flat

:hmmyes:

I have a few ideas as far as a name goes but I want to find some time to sit down and brainstorm a bunch more. I can easily (relatively) think of themes that would fit my own photography but I'm afraid those ideas might be overly constraining and exclude others. I would really like this project to be community driven and to that end would be perfectly happy just being the guy who puts up the initial cash needed to get it done. Using napkin math, I'm thinking that copies could be ~10$ (Total costs of zine / # of printed copies = sale price). Any shortfall I'd eat, any surplus (if it's even possible), depending on the amount, could be used in a contest, donated, returned to contributors or something along those lines. Roughly ~2 years ago I looked into printing a photo book and I think the numbers could be realistic, but I'll have to do more research on that front that's for sure. I would also like to have mods/someone audit the numbers to keep things transparent.

Anyway, just throwing the idea out there, I'm not really concerned about the timeline for the time being. The first step would be to develop the idea and see how much interest there is.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 21, 2022

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I think I'll just edit this post in the future because this is probably entering derail territory.

This is theme that could include all types of photography: birds, animals, landscape, urban, people, etc.. The idea itself could be tweaked to better fit whatever it is we do here, replicating this would be far far too ambitious but maybe there's something we can riff off and make our own. As is, it also strikes me as "too serious", but who knows.

quote:

We have reached an unprecedented moment in planetary history. Humans now affect the Earth and its processes more than all other natural forces combined. The Anthropocene Project is a multidisciplinary body of work combining fine art photography, film, virtual reality, augmented reality, and scientific research to investigate human influence on the state, dynamic, and future of the Earth. 

The Holocene epoch started 11,700 years ago as the glaciers of the last ice age receded. Geologists and other scientists from the Anthropocene Working Group believe that we have left the Holocene and entered a new epoch: the Anthropocene. Their argument is that humans have become the single most defining force on the planet and that the evidence for this is overwhelming. Terraforming of the earth through mining, urbanization, industrialization and agriculture; the proliferation of dams and diverting of waterways; CO2 and acidification of oceans due to climate change; the pervasive presence around the globe of plastics, concrete, and other technofossils; unprecedented rates of deforestation and extinction: these human incursions, they argue, are so massive in scope that they have already entered, and will endure in, geological time.
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/the-anthropocene-project/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYWCrsXXxQg

Some photos here, https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/books/anthropocene

I own this book, so I could probably track down additional photos. Anyway, just brainstorming ideas.

edit: Here's a trailer to movie they produced,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMlCxzO-94
it was a bad idea leaving us the with keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgnlkJPga4
This one is interesting, can help you think of the problem but from/in a more abstract, lateral way (long winded).

A podcast, after an episode not sure how they'll tie it into the theme above, or if it will even do that. https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/anthropocene-reviewed Entertaining enough and could be a source of inspiration.

This is from the book,

quote:

"How Anthropo-scenic!":
Karla McManus
Concerns and Debates about the Age of the Human
There is a lot of talk about the Anthropocene. As we circle the drain, our greatest thinkers and provocateurs-including scientists and artists- are debating, disagreeing, and disrupting the concept of the new geological epoch, the literal Age of Human. When did it start? people ask. Who is responsible? Can we prevent more change or at least slow it down? Will naming it help? Some of this is just semantics, of course, a debate about the details, not the concept itself. Yet from another perspective, semantics-that, at times, dismissive term used to describe the practice of nitpicking-is at the very heart of the cultural understanding of human communication and meaning-formation. Words have power, after all, and those who wield them even more. When we argue about the basic meaning of a term-for example, does the anthropo imply human responsibility is equally shared?-we are making cultural decisions about what the Anthropocene will mean to people for years, maybe even centuries, to come. This is an important dialogue, even if it can sometimes come across as petty or schismatic. Perhaps the biggest question of all is one rooted in the dynamics of power: Who gets to decide the answers to these questions?

These debates are guided by the question of what it means to be human on the planet, when we have irrevocably altered the balance of the earth's systems: the hydrosphere, the biosphere, the pedosphere, the atmosphere. These changes are beyond physical; they have affected our cultures and histories, driven wars and alliances, shaped our economies, and influenced the way people have been enslaved, subjugated, and exploited, from the age of agriculture to the age of steam and the microchip. We have disrupted and altered our global climate, acidified our waters, triggered the mass extinction of biodiversity, transformed ecosystems that we rely on for life, polluted vast areas of land and water, all the while reproducing at a rate that requires more and more resources that are becoming scarcer!

The complexities and interdependencies of these systems are only now becoming understood, even while we change them irrevocably. How do we even begin to draw a line or plant a spike to say, "This is when it all started"?

You can find a lot of the photos on Edward Burtynsky's website,
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/photographs/anthropocene

edit6?: Maybe I should move this to its own thread?

vvv :love:

digitalist fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 24, 2022