Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Sanguinia posted:

I think right now my biggest Boy (or I guess Cailín) is Sonya Deville. I think she's tremendous,

You and me both, friend.

You and me both. :smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"Screamin' " Norman Smiley

One of the few bright spots of late era WCW - from the big wiggle to his hardcore match with guys like Brian Knobbs while wearing full hockey gear.. nobody was a jobber quite like Norman Smiley. Was actually pretty good in the ring too the few times he was given a chance to show it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1bJd6y3W0

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Tainted by VKM now, I was a big fan of The Hurricane and thought him and his gimmick were criminally underutilized.

edit: and was also clearly buried by HHH because how dare this guy have a gimmick that people like.
The Rock went out of his way to put Hurricane over because he was legitimately funny and over. Triple H went out of his way to end that momentum because he's insecure and petty. Pretty much all there is to that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

The Rock went out of his way to put Hurricane over because he was legitimately funny and over. Triple H went out of his way to end that momentum because he's insecure and petty. Pretty much all there is to that.

I remember when he was tagging with Rosey and HHH buried them both before a match by just squashing them. 2 on 1.

I know its like reason 10023 on why HHH sucked but here we are.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

OFFICER LIGER posted:

its me i was the sole justin credible fan during his ecw heyday :(

I came here to post that I loving LOVED Aldo Montoya as a kid (and even got to meet him at a house show parking lot when I was like 12, and he was cool; so was Dink).

Also was a big Repo Man mark (whoa, I just found out he was Smash).

I know he's not a boy now, but I always loved Lance Storm; which leads me to my female pick, Major Gunns :canada:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was very into Kid Kash right around the end of ECW because they pushed him like the next RVD or Jerry Lynn.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I def wasn't the only one who liked him but even still, really loved Tajiri in WWE since it was my first time seeing a lot of that poo poo when I was watching wrestling (I hadn't seen the lucha stuff in WCW or his work in ECW) and I'm willing to bet a lot of WWF/E fans were getting their first taste of that, too. I went out of my way to watch one of his great matches with Psychosis in ECW---the one where they have the "gently caress you" spot--and I was forever a fan after that. It was great to see him briefly in one of the CWC tournaments.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"Screamin' " Norman Smiley

One of the few bright spots of late era WCW - from the big wiggle to his hardcore match with guys like Brian Knobbs while wearing full hockey gear.. nobody was a jobber quite like Norman Smiley. Was actually pretty good in the ring too the few times he was given a chance to show it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1bJd6y3W0

Who doesn't like Norman?? I'll beat their rear end.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He's borderline here, but back when I watched WWE I was the only guy who liked him so he counts.

https://twitter.com/wwesheamus/status/770430236211249152

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Tajiri countering a wheelbarrow attempt from Psicosis by just kneeing him in the sack is one of my favorite things ever in wrestling. Dude was the best wrestler in the world in 2000 and no argument for HHH will sway me.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Tajiri holds a special place in my heart because he introduced me to HUSTLE which gave serious wrestling legend Toshiaki Kawada an excuse to dance around like a jackass.

And of course kicking the poo poo out of young boy Taichi Ishikari whenever he got the chance

hunnert car pileup posted:

Dude was the best wrestler in the world in 2000 and no argument for HHH will sway me.

Tajiri was incredible, but Kawada though

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 hours!)

Shelton Benjamin. (sobs while singing "aint no stopping me...nowwwww") :negative:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Also a big Jimmy Wang Yang mark. Someone at WWE headquarters accidentally gave the little asian dude the redneck gimmick.

edit: look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY_V5yBCp0s&t=104s

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 7, 2020

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I did alot of career modes with Shelton Benjamin.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I was more into WCW right before it died, especially the midcard, and Saturn and Kanyon were at the top of my list. Kanyon Kutter Outta Nowhere > RKO Outta Nowhere

I also deeply enjoyed WCW Lance Storm.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Peanut President posted:

Also a big Jimmy Wang Yang mark. Someone at WWE headquarters accidentally gave the little asian dude the redneck gimmick.

Hell yeah the only Yang Gang that matters

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The combination of Jimmy Wang Yang and late era WCW makes me think of my favourite late era WCW stable: Jung Dragons!

They were managed by Kimona Wanalaya (as Leia Meow)! One of them went on to be Jamie Noble Boy! One of them went on to be Jimmy Wang Yang! One of them went on to be president of Wrestle-1 and crash it into the rocks! They had generally really good matches against 3-Count which nobody gave a poo poo about because this was late era WCW and nobody gave a poo poo about anything! Their gimmick was massively racist but also largely ignored!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

3-Count, Yung Dragons and Noble & Karagias could always be relied on to put on a match worth checking out during the shittiness of late-era WCW.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not sure I'll ever figure out how Shelton Benjamin and Shawn Michaels made that superkick work. Just a phenomenal spot.

E: Shelton's debut match against HHH was a blast too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

DJExile posted:

I'm not sure I'll ever figure out how Shelton Benjamin and Shawn Michaels made that superkick work. Just a phenomenal spot.

E: Shelton's debut match against HHH was a blast too.

Oh poo poo, that's where Sammy got it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZ1S32I3Lg

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I spent the early-to-mid 90s without a cable subscription, so my dudes were:

Man Mountain Rock
Hakushi
Barry Horowitz
Duke “The Dumpster” Droese
Kama (pre-NOD)

Hakushi was the gateway drug for me to try and look for a wrestler's other matches outside of WWF, which in turn led me to discover tape trading, which then opened my impressionable 16 yr old mind to puroresu.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If we're talking real childhood boys, the two that stick out for me:

1) The Lightning Kid from GWF shows on ESPN, he was such a reedy little dork but also super athletic and a pure white meat babyface and it informed my dogged X-Pac fandom deep into the era of X-Pac heat.

2) THE BLACK DEMON, a jobber gimmick that apparently only existed briefly on WWF TV circa 1990-1991, and it was just a not-very-athletic lucha dude in essentially a ninja outfit with a lucha mask, but they'd always put him in jobber tags that were like "Duane Gill and THE BLACK DEMON", I had a friend who could not get over this and would just holler about THE BUSHWACKERS ARE WRESTLING A BLACK DEMON, A BLACK DEMON FROM HELL and so if THE BLACK DEMON FROM HELL wrestled on Superstars it was a very big deal on Monday.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

BTF posted:

When I got into britwres, more specifically Progress, Chuck Mambo became my boy. A voice not cut out for promos at all, a goofy (time-traveling) surfer gimmick and clumsy high flying combined into an endearing package. He has improved consistently over the following years and I'm rooting for him to have a true break out year someday. Had a great match with ZSJ in Progress last year, then he did a dumb heel turn that killed all of his momentum. Good times.

Mambo has done some incredibly fun work in RIPTIDE and his partnership with TK Cooper has been a joy to watch but... That accent, christ.

I unabashedly adore Kurtis Chapman, aka Mad Kurt. he is exhausting. he dabs, he poo poo-talks constantly, and calls himself "the keyboard warrior". dude is loving GREAT.

I dunno how other people feel about him, but I really see a bright future for Spike Trivet. everyone seems to hate him and I dunno if it's his character work or what, but he is such a slimy, lovely little heel and I love it.

I feel like he gets lost in the shuffle with the other SCHADENFREUDE guys, but Mark "Dunkzilla" Davis could not have been injured at a worse time. hopefully he's back soon, because dude has a lot of skill in-ring but still needs to grow his character a bit.

I'll stop with this last one, Daniel Makabe. dude has been putting in great work for years but I dunno if he'll ever break out. hopefully he will sooner than later (but that being said, I wish he''d stop wearing football kits in matches... but only because he has poo poo taste in teams)

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Peanut President posted:

No, that's him for real. Everyone who has met him can confirm.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I for real liked Prince Iaukeau which im sure i butchered the name of because i was a mark for bridging German suplexes... still am actually.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

I for real liked Prince Iaukeau which im sure i butchered the name of because i was a mark for bridging German suplexes... still am actually.

He also had a really pretty jumping DDT.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm glad you all seemed to enjoy the thread so far. :)

Watching old WWF shows I've accrued a few more non-favourites. At the top is probably Rick Martel: good-looking guy, a decent worker, gimmick that is pure '80s cheese, and a hilarious panto overact-er (see: the blindfold match). I think he might have already been mentioned a few times, and he was a world champion in AWA, but whatever, I'm having him anyway.

I also remember him still being good for his brief WCW run in 1998 before he got injured, which stood out as most "old" guys at that point were either wrecked or lazy.

He was also frighteningly massive at one point, holy poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CombineThresher posted:

That reminds me that I also thought Papa Shango was cool.

His Shoulder Breaker finisher was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zJs4f7yO0

Also:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1249389844784128000?s=20

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Dean Malenko was the best out of that short guy crew in WCW.

Also Scotty 2 Hotty

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Joey Abs!

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

My boy stable is made up of Meng, Scott Norton, Steve Blackman, Test and Wrath. Clearly I have a soft spot for hosses and in the case of Blackman completely charisma-less shootfighters.

I considered Shelton Benjamin but he's too talented and arguably too successful to be a boy I think. Boys need to be slightly embarrassing to some degree. Maybe you could include Shelton but only with his momma.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm glad you all seemed to enjoy the thread so far. :)

Watching old WWF shows I've accrued a few more non-favourites. At the top is probably Rick Martel: good-looking guy, a decent worker, gimmick that is pure '80s cheese, and a hilarious panto overact-er (see: the blindfold match). I think he might have already been mentioned a few times, and he was a world champion in AWA, but whatever, I'm having him anyway.

I also remember him still being good for his brief WCW run in 1998 before he got injured, which stood out as most "old" guys at that point were either wrecked or lazy.

He was also frighteningly massive at one point, holy poo poo.

Rick Martel in AWA ruled. So did how every Rumble him & Tito would end up reigniting their feud. That ruled.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Papa Shango in the Ministry or the Brood would have been sick. I liked Godfather because I was an idiot teenager but would have been over the moon to see Shango again.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My first exposure to Japanese wrestling was ordering Toryumon (now Dragon Gate) tapes from Highspots.com and I fell in love with Genki Horiguchi. His gimmick at the time was that he was in denial about his thinning hair and people messing with his hair would always factor into the match. The tapes were in Japanese and Genki just had this great charisma where I completely bought into his character even though i didn't ever know what he was saying.

I also really liked Jody Fleisch back when I was really into flippy poo poo. I think his finish at the time was a springboard 450 spike DDT thing that just blew my mind.

WWE-wise, my guilty pleasures were probably Steve Blackman, Johnny Stamboli, and Charlie Haas. Was it Stamboli who got saddled with a "man in a dress" gimmick for no reason (and if i recall, kinda made it work)?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mary had a little clam posted:

Was it Stamboli who got saddled with a "man in a dress" gimmick for no reason (and if i recall, kinda made it work)?

You're thinking of Big Vito on that one. The two of them were a tag team for a bit. I think Vito got saddled with the dress later on in a singles run, or maybe when he teamed with Nunzio.

Stamboli later became RELLIK THAT'S KILLER SPELLED BACKWARDS in TNA

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Here is my question to you: is Chuck Taylor the Internet's boy?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

No, that's him for real. Everyone who has met him can confirm.

well that's even better

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mary had a little clam posted:

My first exposure to Japanese wrestling was ordering Toryumon (now Dragon Gate) tapes from Highspots.com and I fell in love with Genki Horiguchi. His gimmick at the time was that he was in denial about his thinning hair and people messing with his hair would always factor into the match. The tapes were in Japanese and Genki just had this great charisma where I completely bought into his character even though i didn't ever know what he was saying.

And now everyone chants "H-A-G-E" at him and he claps along, having fully embraced his lack of locks. (Side note but his name when in the DG stable Jimmyz is terrific, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! And everyone knows that The Jimmyz were the best DG stable.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does Kanemaru count as a boy, I definitely remember a time when people on this forum didn't like him but they seem to have come around on his divorced dad energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

the escape goat posted:

Mambo has done some incredibly fun work in RIPTIDE and his partnership with TK Cooper has been a joy to watch but... That accent, christ.

I unabashedly adore Kurtis Chapman, aka Mad Kurt. he is exhausting. he dabs, he poo poo-talks constantly, and calls himself "the keyboard warrior". dude is loving GREAT.

I dunno how other people feel about him, but I really see a bright future for Spike Trivet. everyone seems to hate him and I dunno if it's his character work or what, but he is such a slimy, lovely little heel and I love it.

I feel like he gets lost in the shuffle with the other SCHADENFREUDE guys, but Mark "Dunkzilla" Davis could not have been injured at a worse time. hopefully he's back soon, because dude has a lot of skill in-ring but still needs to grow his character a bit.

I'll stop with this last one, Daniel Makabe. dude has been putting in great work for years but I dunno if he'll ever break out. hopefully he will sooner than later (but that being said, I wish he''d stop wearing football kits in matches... but only because he has poo poo taste in teams)

I'm here for all of these picks and I'm specifically going to highlight TK Cooper. Dude got hurt at EXACTLY the wrong time and has never really been able to regain that momentum, but christ he is still really good at pro wrestling. His timing, his character work, all of it is great.

Basically, watch Riptide, it's real good.

Also here for the overall appreciation of Goto. The first Japanese wrestling match I really got into was him versus Shibata at Wrestle Kingdom 8 and I still recommend that one to people that just want to watch two dudes beat the poo poo out of each other.