Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

mllaneza posted:

I just skimmed through the PDF.

The art is so drat good.

I was looking at the page 7 art on my computer when my son walked up behind me and said "Wow, that art is amazing! How do people draw so well digitally?"

Also, solid job making the politics of this game clear right away! I am so excited that I'm getting the print version of this.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Elendil004 posted:

One of the guys on the Night at the Opera (Delta Green) discord wants to run it.

Can you put me in touch? Send me a forum PM, or a discord name?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zurui posted:

I was looking at the page 7 art on my computer when my son walked up behind me and said "Wow, that art is amazing! How do people draw so well digitally?"

Also, solid job making the politics of this game clear right away! I am so excited that I'm getting the print version of this.

That picture in particular is awesome, and it's right up front to grab the reader right away. If that doesn't make you want to play the game, I don't know what more could be done.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I just noticed the antifa catgirl :allears:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Extremely my poo poo.

You had me "yeah I'm probably gonna buy this soon"-ing with the cover art, but ToTM/pbta air combat with speed & altitude as currency is such an amazingly good idea that it pushed me immediately to "buying right now" just to see exactly how you did it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 16, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I love everything about it so far, down to the little Easter eggs in the art and jokey text like for the Fliegerflammenwerfer description.

I've taught my wife the concept of treating energy/altitude like currency, maybe I can find a nice and semi-brief youtube video to teach her other basics. I love flying but I'm a poo poo teacher.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
Flying Circus is currently the #1 game on DriveThruRPG, and the #1 physical game on Itch.io.

Needless to say, I'm blown away. I wasn't actually expecting anything like this...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I can see why. I really do like it a lot, I like it so much I've already started adapting it to my favorite setting, the Mojave desert. I only do that for games when I plan on doing more than one or two campaigns.

I can definitely see myself playing this for years to come, thanks for making it :)

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

PinheadSlim posted:

I've already started adapting it to my favorite setting, the Mojave desert.
Hmm, Flying Circus: Red Flag could be an interesting expansion actually. Air combat is mostly PvP, entirely simulated and predicated around winning glory and export orders for your nation or aircraft type. The ground game is where the real conflict happens as pilots carouse their way through Las Vegas and argue about who did what best. Oh, and the teams rearrange daily so everyone is in it for themselves as much as anything.

I don't think this is what you meant by Mojave but I love it anyway?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Holy poo poo yeah, that's 100% rad.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

FrangibleCover posted:

Hmm, Flying Circus: Red Flag could be an interesting expansion actually. Air combat is mostly PvP, entirely simulated and predicated around winning glory and export orders for your nation or aircraft type. The ground game is where the real conflict happens as pilots carouse their way through Las Vegas and argue about who did what best. Oh, and the teams rearrange daily so everyone is in it for themselves as much as anything.

I don't think this is what you meant by Mojave but I love it anyway?

I'm just a dork that likes the area that I grew up in, but this is 1,000% radical.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

open_sketchbook posted:

Flying Circus is currently the #1 game on DriveThruRPG, and the #1 physical game on Itch.io.

Needless to say, I'm blown away. I wasn't actually expecting anything like this...

I'm thrilled for you! You've done an amazing job on this project, and I'm glad to see people realise that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

open_sketchbook posted:

You should have, it's a good game and the art is spectacular.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

So I've started putting together a list for airplanes to release in future content packs, the usual mix of weird fantasy stuff and real world aircraft. Does anyone have any ideas or favourite aircraft they'd like to see in an upcoming plane pack?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

open_sketchbook posted:

You really hit on a market that I didn't realize was there. I thought of airplanes as a quirk of my own childhood, but it turns out it's way more common than I thought for the RPG nerd demographic.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
who hasn't put one of those balsa wood or styrofoam warplanes from the corner store together?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

EverettLO posted:

You really hit on a market that I didn't realize was there. I thought of airplanes as a quirk of my own childhood, but it turns out it's way more common than I thought for the RPG nerd demographic.

Apparently! Airplanes are super cool, though... I think we all go through a phase of being obsessed with them.

My phase has just lasted about 30 years.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've been with my wife for ten years, and she's been incredibly patient as I dragged her along to aviation museums and listened intently and kindly while I talk about my Uncle who served as a pilot in WW2, but over all those years aviation never really took her interest.

That is until we got this game, she's been playing flight simulators all day and she took to it really quickly, quicker than I ever did. She's looking up various symbols to come up with livery for her planes in Flying Circus, and is actually saying how much she can't wait to go to the air museum once the lockdowns are over.

So from both of us I just wanted to say thanks again, best 25 I've spent in a while

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

I've been with my wife for ten years, and she's been incredibly patient as I dragged her along to aviation museums and listened intently and kindly while I talk about my Uncle who served as a pilot in WW2, but over all those years aviation never really took her interest.

That is until we got this game, she's been playing flight simulators all day and she took to it really quickly, quicker than I ever did. She's looking up various symbols to come up with livery for her planes in Flying Circus, and is actually saying how much she can't wait to go to the air museum once the lockdowns are over.

So from both of us I just wanted to say thanks again, best 25 I've spent in a while

This is incredibly touching, thank you!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hey y'all, I decided to throw up a PbP recruitment thread for a one-shot, in case anyone is interested!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

gently caress why did I pick tonight to get completely drunk off my rear end?

Oh well, attempting to make a pilot now

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I admit to a bit of a twitch at that line about leaving proto-Nazis out. Can someone expand a little on what the game's default setting involves there?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PM'd Zurui my playbook, I probably included too much stuff but better safe than sorry lol

... Except I just noticed I forgot to include my Mastery move :ohdear:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Loxbourne posted:

I admit to a bit of a twitch at that line about leaving proto-Nazis out. Can someone expand a little on what the game's default setting involves there?

One of the factions pushes a social agenda where some people are "volk" and others are...less so. It's standard in/out-grouping but the book makes it clear that you're not to play out that kind of emotional aggression involving PCs (unless literally everyone agrees).

The setting does a great job of balancing the realities of what a postwar fantasy Germany looked like while leaving out the worst of it.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I weirdly just finished writing next week's patreon post about the presentation of fascism in Flying Circus and why I did stuff, but...

But yeah basically flying circus has fascists you can punch, and in other places touches on bigotry, social hierarchy, assimilation, gender essentialism, and other heavy topics, but i tried to pay a lot of attention to doing so in a way that won't hurt players while still like... accomplishing my goals politically of making the fascists you punch actually fascists instead of toothlessly affecting the aesthetics of fascism while not actually having an ideology, if that makes sense?

The world isn't utopian, basically, it's a broken place that's healing, and I tried to be frank about it while keeping things safe for players.

EDIT: To be clear, there is absolutely no way of playing as the fascists.

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 20, 2020

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I'm reading through the playbooks and just got to the Farmer. Those move names are amazing :allears:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Very excited for the upcoming PbP game, like others I never feel like I understand a system until I play it, and this will be my first PbtA game ever

ThreeStep posted:

I'm reading through the playbooks and just got to the Farmer. Those move names are amazing :allears:

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Will there be a supplement or something where we get bigger pictures of all the different planes? I feel like you put in a ton of effort into designing unique and fun planes and it's hard to fully appreciate them while I'm squinting at them in the playbook. Although zooming in a ton helps lol, still I can't wait for the supplements to come out.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 26, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I learned about flying circus 15 minutes ago and I bought the pdf and am digging in now. Major kudos for putting the stuff about setting and tone and theme and safety and consent right up front. I instantly respect any designer who does this.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

Will there be a supplement or something where we get bigger pictures of all the different planes? I feel like you put in a ton of effort into designing unique and fun planes and it's hard to fully appreciate them while I'm squinting at them in the playbook. Although zooming in a ton helps lol, still I can't wait for the supplements to come out.

I've got a few ideas on that front, though I'm not sure what I'll go with just yet. We're going to have supplements of additional plane profiles hopefully Soon, so we'll likely do a free one that contains all the default planes at higher resolution and with more lore and stuff? Idk.

I'm a bit scatterbrained right now, having published the thing I've spent three years on and worked on basically non-stop, so figuring out how to tackle the next steps has been wild. Though I'm rapidly crunching on two expansions already, so we'll see...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

open_sketchbook posted:

So I've started putting together a list for airplanes to release in future content packs, the usual mix of weird fantasy stuff and real world aircraft. Does anyone have any ideas or favourite aircraft they'd like to see in an upcoming plane pack?

Do these need to be IRL WW1 aircraft, or is there scope to go outside? Because I've always been more of a sucker for the interwar and WW2 ones and something like a Chaika or a Hurricane would be cool.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

spectralent posted:

Do these need to be IRL WW1 aircraft, or is there scope to go outside? Because I've always been more of a sucker for the interwar and WW2 ones and something like a Chaika or a Hurricane would be cool.
These would be WW1 aircraft for Flying Circus, or aircraft that could have been produced in WW1 but weren't because most aircraft designers were not completely bonkers.

The rest is coming later.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, a World War Two aircraft in regular Flying Circus would win all its fights forever and then you'd have to pay a kings ransom in engine upkeep every routine and you'd go broke.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I haven't see the rules, but how many Junkers planes have you got? The guy made his WWI poo poo out of metal.

Any plane with this in it is weird https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Halske_Sh.III

And I hope this is in the game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFW_Floh

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

I haven't see the rules, but how many Junkers planes have you got? The guy made his WWI poo poo out of metal.

Any plane with this in it is weird https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Halske_Sh.III

And I hope this is in the game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFW_Floh

Junkers has contributed the CL.I as Hugo’s Einzigartiger Stahl-Jagdbomber! and the J 1 as Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug!, and the Sh.III is the engine in the Rathenau-16d. The Floh is an excellent shout though!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Then I guess SPAD A.1/2 and S.XII are also there. Gotta have that 37mm artillery piece.

Is coating planes in cellon an option?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

Then I guess SPAD A.1/2 and S.XII are also there. Gotta have that 37mm artillery piece.

Is coating planes in cellon an option?
There are 37mm carriers, but not the SPAD ones yet.

Also, yes, it gives a good bonus to visibility because you can see through your own plane, but there are none in the premades. In part because I wasn't sure how to make it in the art style...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, have you got the Coanda?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coand%C4%83-1910

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

As it never flew and I have no idea how to even start making systems for it, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

As far as I could tell, there's no quad-decker aircraft in the game at the moment. There were a few such aircraft prototyped in WWI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naglo_D.II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_F.K.10