Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A foldable Mosca-Bystritsky MBbis for your garden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Gnoman posted:

As far as I could tell, there's no quad-decker aircraft in the game at the moment. There were a few such aircraft prototyped in WWI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naglo_D.II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_F.K.10

Due in the next premade plane pack, and will be easily buildable on your own when the rules are out.

SelenicMartian posted:

A foldable Mosca-Bystritsky MBbis for your garden?

We currently don't have rules for foldable airplanes simply because the rules as currently written do not have a use case, but I'm sure we'll figure out something.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

open_sketchbook posted:

Also, yes, it gives a good bonus to visibility because you can see through your own plane, but there are none in the premades. In part because I wasn't sure how to make it in the art style...
The Theler Drachen has it!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
hey this game is great and i have a few questions:

what's the difference between the Altitude stat of a plane and the Ideal Altitude stat of an engine? almost every plane in the playbooks has an ALT of 29.

are the playbooks or the background descriptions in the corebook more authoritative? I'm currently playing a farmer and the core says you only get one vice but the playbook says two.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

what's the difference between the Altitude stat of a plane and the Ideal Altitude stat of an engine? almost every plane in the playbooks has an ALT of 29.

Altitude's the maximum, isn't it? While ideal altitude is the altitude above which the engine starts losing performance.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 30, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pretty sure they're one and the same stat. Considering that the example "ideal alt" is the same as the "alt" stat on 90% of planes, and considering that a quick ctrl+f search shows no other results for "ideal alt" I definitely assume they're the same.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

They are, its the result of not having much room on the profiles.

Though I'm about to make things weird in the patch when Ideal and Max altitudes are broken apart to better represent things like altitude throttles...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Really looking forward to the patch. My only request would be to make the aircraft entries more larger and more readable - I feel like they should each be half a page (with art). This would probably also allow room for details about engines and weapons.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Not gonna lie, I'd easily drop 10/15 bucks on a supplement that featured full pages for each plane, some expanded equipment, and history behind the various fictional manufacturers.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd easily drop 10/15 bucks on a supplement that featured full pages for each plane, some expanded equipment, and history behind the various fictional manufacturers.

I'm never gonna get to play this game. I haven't bought a setting guide for years. But saaaaaaaaaaaame.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Y'all will be very happy to know I intend to do just that: this form was just to make them quickly printable and, frankly, to finish it for my deadline. There will be a Volume 0 plane guide with more details on each of these planes, and a Volume 1 with 50ish additional planes soon!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

open_sketchbook posted:

Y'all will be very happy to know I intend to do just that: this form was just to make them quickly printable and, frankly, to finish it for my deadline. There will be a Volume 0 plane guide with more details on each of these planes, and a Volume 1 with 50ish additional planes soon!

fuuuuuuck yeah

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
My personal submission for a plane supplement would be the Supermarine Nighthawk, a fighter designed to intercept zeppelins. It carried the delightful Davis Gun, a heavy cannon that managed to be "recoilless" via the simple method of firing another projectile backwards at the same time the main gun was fired!

Of course you'd have to assume it got some extra development time to not be, well, crap. But darnit the name alone just sounds cool for a night-time interceptor.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Loxbourne posted:

a heavy cannon that managed to be "recoilless" via the simple method of firing another projectile backwards at the same time the main gun was fired!

I've heard of a lot of "wtf" military tech but this is definitely way way up there, and yet not at all surprising for the era

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

What does "SG" mean in reference to a planes weapon profile?

I'm looking at the Ritter Sperling A and it says it has a fore access SG, does SG mean submachinegun?

I'm looking for a crappy enemy plane that's easy to shoot down and it looks perfect

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

I've heard of a lot of "wtf" military tech but this is definitely way way up there, and yet not at all surprising for the era

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a hilariously simple idea that's essentially just a rifled tube open both ends with the round consisting of projectile/propellant/counterweight. Like someone asked an 8 year old kid how to solve recoil and they went "just shoot a bullet out both ends at once, duh".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 1, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

What does "SG" mean in reference to a planes weapon profile?

I'm looking at the Ritter Sperling A and it says it has a fore access SG, does SG mean submachinegun?

I'm looking for a crappy enemy plane that's easy to shoot down and it looks perfect

SG is a shotgun i think

edit: Scattergun, p 180.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

The technique continues to see use today, typically with a counter-projectile made of plastic flakes or something similar so it scatters and slows down quickly.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LatwPIAT posted:

The technique continues to see use today, typically with a counter-projectile made of plastic flakes or something similar so it scatters and slows down quickly.

That's really cool, and a lot less insane than the "Equal but opposite bullet" thing I was imagining in my head

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

PinheadSlim posted:

That's really cool, and a lot less insane than the "Equal but opposite bullet" thing I was imagining in my head

Just to be clear, the Davis Gun really did use an "equal but opposite bullet" (made of lead, with no explosives). That's why it's so glorious and I submit it for inclusion.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Weapon in the front, confetti cannon in the back!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

LatwPIAT posted:

Weapon in the front, confetti cannon in the back!
I think you're confused about which end is the primary one.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

We didn't have any premade planes with it, but there *is* a recoilless cannon in the book for a reason, and we hope to build something using it soon.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Regarding the Collision move, for a head-on collision you roll a total number of d20 equal to the combined Speed Factors of both aircraft. Since the Speed Factor is the hundreds digit of the airspeed, this means that any two aircraft headbutting each other at a speed less than 100 knots will always do zero damage. In fact, they could both be at 90 knots and still, no damage. Should the minimum damage be set to 1 die, or should it be SF+1, or is this intentional to prevent pilots from playing derby plane roundup?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Zurui posted:

Regarding the Collision move, for a head-on collision you roll a total number of d20 equal to the combined Speed Factors of both aircraft. Since the Speed Factor is the hundreds digit of the airspeed, this means that any two aircraft headbutting each other at a speed less than 100 knots will always do zero damage. In fact, they could both be at 90 knots and still, no damage. Should the minimum damage be set to 1 die, or should it be SF+1, or is this intentional to prevent pilots from playing derby plane roundup?

Oof, that's an oversight! I'll have to fix it in the patch.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

open_sketchbook posted:

Oof, that's an oversight! I'll have to fix it in the patch.

No big deal, I made an on-the-spot ruling but what should the move say?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I'd make it Speed Factor +1.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hey open_sketchbook how do gliders work? there's a stat called authority which isn't explained in the core book.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The way they interact with the regular set of flight moves is also unclear. Like I assume they can't use anything that generates RPM, but it's not actually stated anywhere.

e: The only glider related rules text is in Altitude Adjustment, where it establishes a 6-to-1 climb ratio and rules out using the steady climb ratio instead.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 3, 2020

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, gliders basically have a max speed of 0, so you start with whatever speed you were released from the aircraft with and lose it to Energy Loss and Turn Bleed until you stall or touch the ground. That's all there is to it.

Authority is a stat that... shouldn't be in the game anymore. I'll make sure it's removed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

open_sketchbook posted:

Authority is a stat that... shouldn't be in the game anymore. I'll make sure it's removed.

it's also mentioned in the gyrocopter text and under the witchy broom power.

open_sketchbook posted:

Yeah, gliders basically have a max speed of 0, so you start with whatever speed you were released from the aircraft with and lose it to Energy Loss and Turn Bleed until you stall or touch the ground. That's all there is to it.

seems like that makes the wingsuit fairly situational, is that intentional?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 3, 2020

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

It's honestly a pretty big bummer that I have to spend an asset pick and a playbook move on something that's strictly inferior to the Witch's equivalent. Like I'm not expecting a wingsuit to replace a plane or anything, but it's a really big investment of character resources for something that, as TBK mentioned, feels incredibly situational rather than a selling point of the character.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

It's a synergy thing, though: the Skyborn's other abilities all play very well with it. The Witch basically only uses her broom as a plane substitute, while the Skyborn's wingsuit synergizes with a bunch of their other abilities.

Here, look. All Skyborn planes have programmable autopilots, right? And Skyborn profiles and abilities basically make wing walking and close combat a breeze. So you can do a lot of nonsense with that, like boarding enemy planes or airships, switching planes in mid-flight, dueling Goth boarding crews while your plane holds steady, etc. A witch is just as good as any other pilot in melee (ie: bad), but Skyborn turns melee from 'muddy knife fight in the bottom of a trench at the Somme' to 'The Princess Bride', so you have a lot of wiggle room to do wild poo poo.

A thing you can do is program your plane to enter a slow diving turn to a specific altitude, jump out to do something stupid, and then glide back to your plane and get back in control, even if you had to bleed some speed and altitude doing the nonsense.

Basically, don't think of your wingsuit as a plane. Think of it as a bridge between your plane and their planes, so you can make their planes your planes. It's actually part of the reason most Skyborn guns are pneumatic too: because they jam when you rapid-fire, it gives you a lot of time to think "Man, I could be gliding over there punching them right now."

Also, free reusable parachute!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Reporting from actual play, I've been in a group with a Skyborn who managed to spend the entire fight outside of their aircraft quite easily. They had a swordfight, a death defying dive, an attempt to negotiate with an opposing pilot and a jump from one ascending friendly plane to another which was below them but ascending faster so they could regain energy more quickly. It seemed like fun.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

It seems at that point you're playing a different game entirely than the crunchy aerial combat. Which, hey, I'm down for, but why is it even statted out as a plane in that case? It seems like it might as well be a set of narrative permissions.

Like, to be perfectly clear, I'm trying to understand the sequence of rolls that go along with these actions. It seems pretty safe to assume that Dogfight! is called for to board something, but do you need to Wingwalk then before you can roll to Swashbuckle?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 4, 2020

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Tricky posted:

It seems at that point you're playing a different game entirely than the crunchy aerial combat. Which, hey, I'm down for, but why is it even statted out as a plane in that case? It seems like it might as well be a set of narrative permissions.

Like, to be perfectly clear, I'm trying to understand the sequence of rolls that go along with these actions. It seems pretty safe to assume that Dogfight! is called for to board something, but do you need to Wingwalk then before you can roll to Swashbuckle?

All that kind of stuff depends on what's happening. The profile kicks in and starts to really matter if they miss and find themselves gliding through a dogfight, basically.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Can you walk me through what a boarding action might look like in the context of a combat engagement, in terms of rolls? I'm really not getting the intended functionality and flow of it from the move description alone.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

The easiest way would just be like... I jump out, Dogfight +Hard to swoop in on a plane (or Chase, depending), land on them (wingwalk, probably), and then roll Seize the Initiative. That would be the most basic pattern.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I backed this lovely thing somewhat on a whim a few years ago and it’s a real treat to see how it’s turned out. I hope you’re very proud!

What’s the best thing to do with errors (typos, language inconsistencies, etc)? Is there a form for them or something?

E: one thing I’ll mention here is that when attempting to highlight a passage using Books on iOS, it wants an “owner password” to permit it. My PDF was generated from the backer link to DTRPG today, if that matters.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I was...unaware that there was a print copy of this! I just picked this up over the weekend after two separate people from completely different game groups are like "this game seems neat". The idea of using maneuverability and speed as a resource very much reminds me of Formula D, where you burn tire points and whatnot to shift gears and corner around a racetrack. Very fun boardgame. I'm interested in getting in greater depth for the rules here and seeing what's good.

One question, and maybe the book already answers this, but what if I wanted some kind of physical representation of what's going on in theater of the mind with things like biplane positioning and so on? Some of my players have a hard time staying strictly theater of the mind and want some kind of physical representation to help inform their decisions.