Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Flying Circus doesn't actually use any positioning other than altitude, so a single-axis stack with ~30 rows should be enough to manage just about any combat. Bonus points if you find bitty little biplane miniatures to put on your chart. It should be enough to give them a more concrete vision of how the battle is arranged. If they want more visual aids, spindown dice can be used to represent speed and placed next to enemy fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
Yeah, trying to use models or anything just... will actively make it worse. If players are having difficulty, remove more elements with the object permanence thing.

Subjunctive posted:

I backed this lovely thing somewhat on a whim a few years ago and it’s a real treat to see how it’s turned out. I hope you’re very proud!

What’s the best thing to do with errors (typos, language inconsistencies, etc)? Is there a form for them or something?

E: one thing I’ll mention here is that when attempting to highlight a passage using Books on iOS, it wants an “owner password” to permit it. My PDF was generated from the backer link to DTRPG today, if that matters.

Here's a big ol' file of typos!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mb3F4Sn3vqqKvvs7Xle8OHn7Neom5U7lkBy3UGSZjX8/edit

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

How would an late model spitfire or a hurricane star up under this system, and how much of a 'ITS A GUNDUM' moment would it be for whichever poor bastard had to fight the thing?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

StratGoatCom posted:

How would an late model spitfire or a hurricane star up under this system, and how much of a 'ITS A GUNDUM' moment would it be for whichever poor bastard had to fight the thing?

Speed 55+ and only gets faster with altitude, Energy Loss 0, handling in the low 80s or high 70s. 60+ strain. Does enough damage to one shot most planes in a single run.

If you can somehow convince it to turnfight with you at low speeds you have the advantage. In all other situations you just die forever.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Oh yay, there's a thread for this awesome game now! Here, have a Spotify playlist I made for the soundtrack of a game I'll probably never get to run... https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1BAVEOkXMToePpwlwtShC8?si=crTjB39VRAKA_e-CVVjX1A

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

How do G-Forces work with the Broom and the Wingsuit? The Broom makes it clear in the detailed writeup that it has infinite effective strain, so it seems reasonable that it just never triggers overstrain. Is the same true for the Wingsuit, since it's also working on the "you only take damage on a crit, but it automatically hits you" principle?

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Tricky posted:

How do G-Forces work with the Broom and the Wingsuit? The Broom makes it clear in the detailed writeup that it has infinite effective strain, so it seems reasonable that it just never triggers overstrain. Is the same true for the Wingsuit, since it's also working on the "you only take damage on a crit, but it automatically hits you" principle?

Yep, the G-forces just apply to the pilot.

Also, I'm working on the next version right now, and adding more pages strictly featuring tactics!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Rad! I am looking forward to that. I've figured out some things that very much don't work through experience, but having a better idea of how to set myself up would be really handy.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
The book references every weapon system having four range boxes (p. 74) but I can't find them in the equipment section or on the plane cards. Am I missing something super obvious?

e: also I dunno what, if any, rules implication the "open bolt" tag has on weapons.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 8, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The weapons "Hits" stat is how many hits it does at knife range. 75% of that number at close range, 50% at long, and 25% at extreme. So if it's a 4 hit weapon it's 4/3/2/1, double those if it's a twin-linked weapon. The numbers are slightly different if the weapons are mounted on the wings rather than the nose, and it's explained on page 49 of the rulebook, "Weapon System Cards".

Range bands are also further explained on page 74 under "Shooting Moves" and weapon tags are explained on page 171, "Equipment Tags"

"Open-Bolt means this weapon cannot be fitted with a synchronizer gear: the action too unpredictable or slow to work."

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 8, 2020

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I'll put more page number references around that area to make it clearer, as I've seen people get confused.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I know it's a lot of work but an index would really be brilliant.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Zurui posted:

I know it's a lot of work but an index would really be brilliant.

Jesus yeah that'd suck. I'll make one but I'll make it a separate document (save time flipping back and forth anyway), I'm running at the edge of pagespace here.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Just wanted to say how nice it is that you're engaging with the community and how receptive you're being to feedback. I'm sure it's all very stressful but I appreciate it!

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Thank you! I try to be the kind of creator I want to see in the world and whatever.

I'm currently midway through implementing the changes for Version 1.1. It's going to be a pretty substantial overhaul of a lot of stuff, including rebuilding one of the Backgrounds to a pretty serious degree in light of feedback. I'm also going to be taking a pass on the Witch to give the spells a bit more of a mechanical basis when they get involved in the crunchy dogfights bits.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

open_sketchbook posted:

Jesus yeah that'd suck. I'll make one but I'll make it a separate document (save time flipping back and forth anyway), I'm running at the edge of pagespace here.

Even just a single page with really important concepts would be huge - especially in print.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

For advancement, "Add +1 to a stat above 3 (max +5)" feels kind of oddly phrased. Does this mean going from 3 to 4 as well as going from 4 to 5?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

For Move Exchange, you do have to actually know the move before you give it to someone else, right? The rules don't actually make this clear.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

xthetenth posted:

For advancement, "Add +1 to a stat above 3 (max +5)" feels kind of oddly phrased. Does this mean going from 3 to 4 as well as going from 4 to 5?

Yes. Will clarify.

Zurui posted:

For Move Exchange, you do have to actually know the move before you give it to someone else, right? The rules don't actually make this clear.

Nope! It's any move from your Background, even if you don't personally know it. You're sharing cultural knowledge and its manifesting as a move, basically.

I once fluffed a Fisher sharing Whispered Answers with a Soldier as the Fisher just giving the Soldier the confidence to listen to herself instead of her old rules and regulations, and the Fisher didn't have Whispered Answers at the time.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

PinheadSlim posted:

The weapons "Hits" stat is how many hits it does at knife range. 75% of that number at close range, 50% at long, and 25% at extreme. So if it's a 4 hit weapon it's 4/3/2/1, double those if it's a twin-linked weapon. The numbers are slightly different if the weapons are mounted on the wings rather than the nose, and it's explained on page 49 of the rulebook, "Weapon System Cards".

Range bands are also further explained on page 74 under "Shooting Moves" and weapon tags are explained on page 171, "Equipment Tags"

"Open-Bolt means this weapon cannot be fitted with a synchronizer gear: the action too unpredictable or slow to work."

Related to these points, I have two questions:
  • The altered hit bands for wing-mounted guns interacts weirdly with the Open Fire move: It makes it so that a strong hit at close or knife range actually does less damage than a weak hit at the same range. Is that intentional?
  • Does a synchronizer gear actually have any mechanical effect on the weapon? I see that it has a special icon in the weapons list, which seems like that means it's important mechanically (it is of course important narratively), but I can't find any actual mechanics for them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
with the wing mounted guns i think it's modeling convergence? if that was a thing in ww1 combat?

synchronizer gear means your guns fire pas the propeller without hitting it, mechanically you can't have Fore Access guns on a single engine plane that aren't synchronized without problems.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

with the wing mounted guns i think it's modeling convergence? if that was a thing in ww1 combat?

Right, I get the idea that wing-mounted guns are more optimal at close range than knife range, and that's fine and logical and makes sense. The problem is that the results of the Open Fire move are built on the assumption that closer is always better, which makes a weird case where a strong hit is actually worse for you than a weak hit at knife range. (I was wrong about close range; I missed that there's no actual case in the Open Fire move where you hit at your actual range.) Check it:

If I'm at knife range with a wing-mounted gun, I hit with 80% of my shots. On a 20+ on the Open Fire Move, I shift 1 closer. Since there is nothing closer than knife range, we stay at knife range and 80% hits. If, on the other hand, I roll an 11-15, we shift 1 farther, which puts us into the optimal range for the weapon and we do 100% hits. It's the only instance where rolling a weak hit is straight-up better than a strong hit.

It could potentially be fixed by making the shift on a 20+ in either direction as the player desires, but then you're in the case where any hit with a wing-mounted gun at knife range is a 100% hit--there's now no gradation between strong and weak hits. Which is less weird mechanically, but it's also making wing-mounted guns actually best at knife range, which is counterintuitive when their actual range bands say that close is the ideal range for them.

thatbastardken posted:

synchronizer gear means your guns fire pas the propeller without hitting it, mechanically you can't have Fore Access guns on a single engine plane that aren't synchronized without problems.

Got a page number for that? (The mechanics, I mean--I know what a synchronizer/interrupter gear is in the fiction.) The only rule regarding interrupter gear guns I can find is that they increase the jam rate by 1, but there's nothing I see in either the interrupter gear tag or the accessible gear tag about this restriction. You can maybe infer it from the sample aircraft, but even there the Arntwerks C.7 is a single engine tractor-configuration fighter with a Fore Access MG with no interrupter gear icon, and there are a couple of other Fore Access weapons without one, though they're all some flavor of "weird" (either a Fore Access heat ray or the plane itself is a magical construct and it's not clear whether it even has a propeller).

Maybe this is something that gets spelled out in the engineering guide, but it would probably be good to mention in the core too.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 8, 2020

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I'm modifying how wing mounted guns work in the next version to avoid this problem: there's instead going to be a harmonics bonus for aircraft in later wars.

And yeah I oopsied a couple of planes with regards to weapon listing, but yeah, an interrupter gear is an upgrade you gotta buy to shoot through your prop and its expensive and not super reliable. You can still have forward accessible machine guns without interrupters but they have to be wing guns: see the gun atop the wing of the SE5/KAW NG, or the guns out on the wings of the Sopwith Dolphin/Markgraf Assassin.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm modifying how wing mounted guns work in the next version to avoid this problem: there's instead going to be a harmonics bonus for aircraft in later wars.

And yeah I oopsied a couple of planes with regards to weapon listing, but yeah, an interrupter gear is an upgrade you gotta buy to shoot through your prop and its expensive and not super reliable. You can still have forward accessible machine guns without interrupters but they have to be wing guns: see the gun atop the wing of the SE5/KAW NG, or the guns out on the wings of the Sopwith Dolphin/Markgraf Assassin.

Groovy, thanks! I figured based on ken's post that the C.9 was probably just missing the interrupter gear icon, but wanted to make sure.

As a complete aside, and this is no fault of the game whatsoever, but I'm bummed that outside of a few manufacturers like Sopwith, WWI aircraft mostly just have designations or model numbers, not proper names. With the nations being named after aircraft manufacturers, I would have loved to name towns after aircraft models, but "the sleepy hamlet of D.VII(Alb)" just doesn't have the right ring to it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

open_sketchbook posted:

And yeah I oopsied a couple of planes with regards to weapon listing, but yeah, an interrupter gear is an upgrade you gotta buy to shoot through your prop and its expensive and not super reliable.
What about deflector plates/wedges?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

What about deflector plates/wedges?

Those show up on the Rathenau-7a in the Playbooks pdf: Your engine takes 1 Wear on a natural < 5 on Open Fire.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

GimpInBlack posted:

If I'm at knife range with a wing-mounted gun, I hit with 80% of my shots. On a 20+ on the Open Fire Move, I shift 1 closer. Since there is nothing closer than knife range, we stay at knife range and 80% hits. If, on the other hand, I roll an 11-15, we shift 1 farther, which puts us into the optimal range for the weapon and we do 100% hits. It's the only instance where rolling a weak hit is straight-up better than a strong hit.
It's a fair point overall, but you get no shift on 16-19 full hits.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

It's a fair point overall, but you get no shift on 16-19 full hits.

:facepalm: I am bad at math, apparently. Which actually just adds more scenarios where this is janky, but since open_sketchbook is already changing it, I'm not going to dwell on it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDAHfbDARk4

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hey open_sketchbook do you have a higher resolution version of the himmilgard map? maybe without the place names?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A thing I just noticed, the move in air combat to spare your engine and one of the survivor's playbook moves are both called "Cool Off".

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

xthetenth posted:

A thing I just noticed, the move in air combat to spare your engine and one of the survivor's playbook moves are both called "Cool Off".

Yeah that actually threw me off for a bit because I thought you meant the flight move, not the survivor move and I was all "Whaaaaat"

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Whoops! One more on the fix pile then.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Session 0 done for the adventures of Flaschenfeuer Kompanie (insignia: an anthropomorphic Molotov cocktail), consisting of:

• Nixie Schale, the Fisher. Accompanied by her acolyte Kieme and flying a pink Teicher Moewen 13S.
  • Dav Kavita, the Skyborn. Flying a Cheetal and accompanied by a balloon crewed by identical cousins Hana, Dul, Sus, and Nes
  • Moser, the Survivor. Accompanied by masked Alsatian Schultz and flying the Wunderflugzeug!
  • Dieter. A local hired as a gunner for Dav. Has no idea what he's in for.

They have all met in the charmingly named but fairly poor town of Schuntertissen (Piss Happily?) and are looking for a mission to pay their bills so they can maybe leave, or make some kind of a difference, or something.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Oh my god, I love all of them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Nixie:

Dav:

Moser:

Schultz:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I wish to hear more of the daring deeds of the masked Alsatian Schultz and his fearless Kompanie

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just finished running a pretty big combat involving an (abstracted) airship and I swear we've invoked almost every move in the game at this point. The final combat was essentially a stress test designed to determine how lethal the system can be and, well, the answer is "pretty lethal" but also "surprisingly balanced." A few observations:

• The game definitely plays off the characters' level of engagement. It's possible to play it very safe and avoid taking damage, representing valuing defensive maneuvers over making solid hits. The opposite is true; if you use Stay on Target or Draw a Bead you take additional fire but will do a significant amount more damage.
  • The differences between statlines really matter and impacted not only survivability, but how each character chose to fly. Mastery plays into this as well. Every character has felt different in how they interact with the system.
  • Flak is ridiculously dangerous and gives a great feeling of "terrain." It also encourages pilots to engage enemy pilots to avoid Weather Flak.
  • Spinning off that, the game does enforce some realistic tactics. We found that energy (speed + altitude) was almost always more important than sheer firepower.
  • That said, a heavily-gunned aircraft (like, for example, the Markgraf Zerstörer B) can absolutely line up the perfect shot on a lighter aircraft and reduce it to a plummeting fireball in one attack run.

It's been a great game and I'm so happy I'm running it! Here's a link for those of you who might be interested in reading: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921499

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

can a dog be a confidant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I'm going to say no, because Confidants have to have standards you can violate, whereas dogs just like their big friend and like hell I'm even implying this game has mechanics intersecting with animal abuse.

(Shooting down giant eagles isn't animal abuse, they are trying to eat you!)