Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Oh yay, there's a thread for this awesome game now! Here, have a Spotify playlist I made for the soundtrack of a game I'll probably never get to run... https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1BAVEOkXMToePpwlwtShC8?si=crTjB39VRAKA_e-CVVjX1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

PinheadSlim posted:

The weapons "Hits" stat is how many hits it does at knife range. 75% of that number at close range, 50% at long, and 25% at extreme. So if it's a 4 hit weapon it's 4/3/2/1, double those if it's a twin-linked weapon. The numbers are slightly different if the weapons are mounted on the wings rather than the nose, and it's explained on page 49 of the rulebook, "Weapon System Cards".

Range bands are also further explained on page 74 under "Shooting Moves" and weapon tags are explained on page 171, "Equipment Tags"

"Open-Bolt means this weapon cannot be fitted with a synchronizer gear: the action too unpredictable or slow to work."

Related to these points, I have two questions:
  • The altered hit bands for wing-mounted guns interacts weirdly with the Open Fire move: It makes it so that a strong hit at close or knife range actually does less damage than a weak hit at the same range. Is that intentional?
  • Does a synchronizer gear actually have any mechanical effect on the weapon? I see that it has a special icon in the weapons list, which seems like that means it's important mechanically (it is of course important narratively), but I can't find any actual mechanics for them.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

with the wing mounted guns i think it's modeling convergence? if that was a thing in ww1 combat?

Right, I get the idea that wing-mounted guns are more optimal at close range than knife range, and that's fine and logical and makes sense. The problem is that the results of the Open Fire move are built on the assumption that closer is always better, which makes a weird case where a strong hit is actually worse for you than a weak hit at knife range. (I was wrong about close range; I missed that there's no actual case in the Open Fire move where you hit at your actual range.) Check it:

If I'm at knife range with a wing-mounted gun, I hit with 80% of my shots. On a 20+ on the Open Fire Move, I shift 1 closer. Since there is nothing closer than knife range, we stay at knife range and 80% hits. If, on the other hand, I roll an 11-15, we shift 1 farther, which puts us into the optimal range for the weapon and we do 100% hits. It's the only instance where rolling a weak hit is straight-up better than a strong hit.

It could potentially be fixed by making the shift on a 20+ in either direction as the player desires, but then you're in the case where any hit with a wing-mounted gun at knife range is a 100% hit--there's now no gradation between strong and weak hits. Which is less weird mechanically, but it's also making wing-mounted guns actually best at knife range, which is counterintuitive when their actual range bands say that close is the ideal range for them.

thatbastardken posted:

synchronizer gear means your guns fire pas the propeller without hitting it, mechanically you can't have Fore Access guns on a single engine plane that aren't synchronized without problems.

Got a page number for that? (The mechanics, I mean--I know what a synchronizer/interrupter gear is in the fiction.) The only rule regarding interrupter gear guns I can find is that they increase the jam rate by 1, but there's nothing I see in either the interrupter gear tag or the accessible gear tag about this restriction. You can maybe infer it from the sample aircraft, but even there the Arntwerks C.7 is a single engine tractor-configuration fighter with a Fore Access MG with no interrupter gear icon, and there are a couple of other Fore Access weapons without one, though they're all some flavor of "weird" (either a Fore Access heat ray or the plane itself is a magical construct and it's not clear whether it even has a propeller).

Maybe this is something that gets spelled out in the engineering guide, but it would probably be good to mention in the core too.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 8, 2020

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm modifying how wing mounted guns work in the next version to avoid this problem: there's instead going to be a harmonics bonus for aircraft in later wars.

And yeah I oopsied a couple of planes with regards to weapon listing, but yeah, an interrupter gear is an upgrade you gotta buy to shoot through your prop and its expensive and not super reliable. You can still have forward accessible machine guns without interrupters but they have to be wing guns: see the gun atop the wing of the SE5/KAW NG, or the guns out on the wings of the Sopwith Dolphin/Markgraf Assassin.

Groovy, thanks! I figured based on ken's post that the C.9 was probably just missing the interrupter gear icon, but wanted to make sure.

As a complete aside, and this is no fault of the game whatsoever, but I'm bummed that outside of a few manufacturers like Sopwith, WWI aircraft mostly just have designations or model numbers, not proper names. With the nations being named after aircraft manufacturers, I would have loved to name towns after aircraft models, but "the sleepy hamlet of D.VII(Alb)" just doesn't have the right ring to it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

What about deflector plates/wedges?

Those show up on the Rathenau-7a in the Playbooks pdf: Your engine takes 1 Wear on a natural < 5 on Open Fire.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

It's a fair point overall, but you get no shift on 16-19 full hits.

:facepalm: I am bad at math, apparently. Which actually just adds more scenarios where this is janky, but since open_sketchbook is already changing it, I'm not going to dwell on it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

open_sketchbook posted:

I'm going to say no, because Confidants have to have standards you can violate, whereas dogs just like their big friend and like hell I'm even implying this game has mechanics intersecting with animal abuse.

(Shooting down giant eagles isn't animal abuse, they are trying to eat you!)

But you can play as a dog and have a human confidant by changing trust to whether or not they think you're a Good Dog, right?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Hey, open_sketchbook, I think something might have gone wrong with the upload of Flying Circus 1.2 to DTRPG? At least it looks weird on my end--the "last updated" field says it was updated on October 27th, but there's no description of that update when you hover over the info icon and the files available for download are still v1.11 (I downloaded the core book and did a quick spot check of the Songbird move, and it doesn't have the "once per session" change mentioned in the KS update.)

Is this just on my end? Or is DTRPG just taking a long time to approve the upload for some reason?

In any case, WWII Flying Circus looks awesome, I'm super excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Game good and strongly interesting despite me having trouble understanding the rules for flight on a first pass. More thoughts to follow but more 30 Years Wars should start from someone throwing the new emperor out a window.

The best advice I can give for understanding the flight rules is to just try running a dogfight--even if you just "run" it for yourself, with a single PC plane vs. a generic NPC. The air combat system in Flying Circus is heavily interconnected, and it's really hard to grok how it all fits together (both in terms of the moves interacting with each other and with the actual airplane stats) by just reading all the moves.

Also, if you click the Plane Builder Link on any of the planes in the aircraft catalogue, there's an Interactive Dashboard option at the top of the page that pulls up an editable version of the instrument panel that pre-calculates a lot of the math for you, which can be a big help. I think the only thing it doesn't handle are the rules for altitude effects on p. 56 of the core.