Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

For advancement, "Add +1 to a stat above 3 (max +5)" feels kind of oddly phrased. Does this mean going from 3 to 4 as well as going from 4 to 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

A thing I just noticed, the move in air combat to spare your engine and one of the survivor's playbook moves are both called "Cool Off".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So I've been toying around with the plane builder, and I figure there's probably people who want a bafflingly idiosyncratic starting point. If anyone thinks this is non-trash, I'll continue on to building planes (reasonable) and then I guess building planes (very unreasonable with all the fun toys)

Advice to Her Grace Amalie Elisabeth of Cassel and other amateurs with passion for aviation unburdened by tawdry monetary demands

Basic tweaking:

An ideal starting point for aeronautic pursuits is an existing airframe. Ideally one should be chosen for balanced characteristics, however whatever is available can provide valuable lessons, and looking at the design elements of less conventional designs can be informative. For the purposes of this guide, we'll look at the Markgraf Zerstörer B, since it's a reasonably large, powerful plane, with a good amount of tweaking. There's only so much to be learned from something that's barely any engine with a plane to match. So we'll grab a Zerstörer B and see how it responds to tweaking to the main stats. Note: If you intend to do your own flight testing, make sure the plane is stable.

Don't worry, you don't need a great deal of knowledge to change the armament and see what happens, this is more so you can have an idea of how to try and get more performance in a certain area. For that there's four real things you need to pay attention to: Drag, Mass, Lift and Strain. You want as little of the first two and as much of the last two as possible. Problem is they tend to come linked to each other. So let's start from the top.

Drag: The more speed you want, the more this hurts. Our plane is relatively quick. Go to the frames and covering, and switch the skin to naked. All the frame flapping about in the wind saves a bit of mass, but it adds a ton of drag. The top speed suffers when the plane's loaded. If you then go to the engine and switch from a sealed cowl to no cowling, that raises drag again and the plane's a whole speed lower even when unloaded. The poor engine just has to work harder to drag all that exposed stuff through the air. Drag makes you slower. It's easy enough to get rid of. Almost everything has an option to make things smoother. Problem is they all cost weight, and if you don't look out you'll just replace the drag with a ton of mass for the engine to pull through the air, and you won't be any faster for your trouble. Try swapping out all the cloth canvas for sheet steel if you don't want to believe me, but don't expect me to cover the cost. Also, it makes a big impact on energy loss if you care about being able to fly faster than your rated speed in a dive.

Mass: You want less of this for everything. Less mass makes basically everything better. It has a particularly large impact on boost and energy bleeds, so you'll want to be particularly careful to keep this low on something that needs to stick it out in a turning fight. An efficient design can reduce this for free, but you can also throw modern miracle materials like aluminum at the design, or use something like treated paper if you don't mind keeping the plane away from sparks. You can just leave off guns, but I hear that for planes that carry them that's kind of the point.

Lift: Wings add it and it's what keeps you from stalling and lets you turn. It's nice to have, but unfortunately wings also add drag, and reduce strain, which requires reinforcement. So a well behaved turn fighter and a blazing fast racer end up with very different wings because one needs lift a lot more than the other.

Strain: This lets you do things like turn aggressively and fly and even get shot at and have your plane not come apart. It's great to have. Generally to get more of it you add more reinforcements to the wings. If you can't get more strain from adding reinforcements, then you need to add structure. Some reinforcements and a lot of frame choices give that. If you're tweaking an established design, you can be assumed to have enough structure.

Hopefully understanding these four things will let you have a good idea of what's going on when adding streamlining ruins a plane's acceleration and give you an idea of how to see what a plane flies like with less mass, less drag and then seeing what it responds best to.