Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This is easily the most ambitious PbtA project yet and it's also so extremely my poo poo so I'm ridiculously excited. My friends are just gonna have to suck it up and accept that this is their next game if they want me to run anything.

Is there enough variation in the playbooks to make it interesting if everyone flies the same/similar model of aircraft? If, for example, I wanted to run a more military group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That's rad. Is there a system for breakdowns, repairs, maintenance, and overhauls? Or is that pretty much left to the MC?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

mllaneza posted:

I just skimmed through the PDF.

The art is so drat good.

I was looking at the page 7 art on my computer when my son walked up behind me and said "Wow, that art is amazing! How do people draw so well digitally?"

Also, solid job making the politics of this game clear right away! I am so excited that I'm getting the print version of this.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 15, 2020

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hey y'all, I decided to throw up a PbP recruitment thread for a one-shot, in case anyone is interested!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Loxbourne posted:

I admit to a bit of a twitch at that line about leaving proto-Nazis out. Can someone expand a little on what the game's default setting involves there?

One of the factions pushes a social agenda where some people are "volk" and others are...less so. It's standard in/out-grouping but the book makes it clear that you're not to play out that kind of emotional aggression involving PCs (unless literally everyone agrees).

The setting does a great job of balancing the realities of what a postwar fantasy Germany looked like while leaving out the worst of it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Really looking forward to the patch. My only request would be to make the aircraft entries more larger and more readable - I feel like they should each be half a page (with art). This would probably also allow room for details about engines and weapons.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Regarding the Collision move, for a head-on collision you roll a total number of d20 equal to the combined Speed Factors of both aircraft. Since the Speed Factor is the hundreds digit of the airspeed, this means that any two aircraft headbutting each other at a speed less than 100 knots will always do zero damage. In fact, they could both be at 90 knots and still, no damage. Should the minimum damage be set to 1 die, or should it be SF+1, or is this intentional to prevent pilots from playing derby plane roundup?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

open_sketchbook posted:

Oof, that's an oversight! I'll have to fix it in the patch.

No big deal, I made an on-the-spot ruling but what should the move say?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Flying Circus doesn't actually use any positioning other than altitude, so a single-axis stack with ~30 rows should be enough to manage just about any combat. Bonus points if you find bitty little biplane miniatures to put on your chart. It should be enough to give them a more concrete vision of how the battle is arranged. If they want more visual aids, spindown dice can be used to represent speed and placed next to enemy fighters.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I know it's a lot of work but an index would really be brilliant.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

open_sketchbook posted:

Jesus yeah that'd suck. I'll make one but I'll make it a separate document (save time flipping back and forth anyway), I'm running at the edge of pagespace here.

Even just a single page with really important concepts would be huge - especially in print.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

For Move Exchange, you do have to actually know the move before you give it to someone else, right? The rules don't actually make this clear.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just finished running a pretty big combat involving an (abstracted) airship and I swear we've invoked almost every move in the game at this point. The final combat was essentially a stress test designed to determine how lethal the system can be and, well, the answer is "pretty lethal" but also "surprisingly balanced." A few observations:

• The game definitely plays off the characters' level of engagement. It's possible to play it very safe and avoid taking damage, representing valuing defensive maneuvers over making solid hits. The opposite is true; if you use Stay on Target or Draw a Bead you take additional fire but will do a significant amount more damage.
  • The differences between statlines really matter and impacted not only survivability, but how each character chose to fly. Mastery plays into this as well. Every character has felt different in how they interact with the system.
  • Flak is ridiculously dangerous and gives a great feeling of "terrain." It also encourages pilots to engage enemy pilots to avoid Weather Flak.
  • Spinning off that, the game does enforce some realistic tactics. We found that energy (speed + altitude) was almost always more important than sheer firepower.
  • That said, a heavily-gunned aircraft (like, for example, the Markgraf Zerstörer B) can absolutely line up the perfect shot on a lighter aircraft and reduce it to a plummeting fireball in one attack run.

It's been a great game and I'm so happy I'm running it! Here's a link for those of you who might be interested in reading: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Weather Flak is absolutely fukken DEADLY.