Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Reveal Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMfypQj3k0

Release Date: June 5th on Steam and Origin for $20USD :10bux: :10bux:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

https://i.imgur.com/p5jdSbA.mp4
Super high-res graphical comparison image

Remastered or Remade?

EA_Jimtern posted:

This is a remaster. Our intention is to keep the story, script, and content as authentic as possible to the original games, while providing much higher fidelity with modern quality of life improvements.

The game has updated HD graphical assets, AI upscaled cutscenes, quality of life improvements such as build queues, new sidebar layout (RA2 style menus) and modern control options, but it will function mostly the same as the games did back in 1995 and 1996. There is even a toggle to play the game in a legacy graphical setting or the new updated assets (campaign and skirmish only)

The remasters have been developed by Petroglyph Games (Star Wars: Empire at War, Grey Goo) with Lemon Sky Studios providing many of the graphical assets. Petroglyph was created by a number of former Westwood staff after EA closed the studio down, so a number of original C&C creators are working on this project.

What is in the Collection?
The Remastered Collection includes Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (1995) and expansion pack The Covert Operations (1996) and Command & Conquer: Red Alert (1996) as well as the expansion packs Counterstrike (1997), and The Aftermath (1997).

The remasters will also include the unique missions and cutsenes from the Playstation 1 version of the game, Red Alert: Retaliation (1998)

Other additions include AI skirmish for Tiberian Dawn (not originally included in C&C95), re-recorded EVA by the original voice actress, replay and observer modes for online tournaments/e-sports, a map editor with steam workshop support, online leaderboards, custom game lobbies etc.

• Over 100 campaign missions (including secret Dinosaur and Ant missions)
  • Over 250 multiplayer maps | 4 player MP (Tib Dawn), 8 player MP (Red Alert)
  • 7 hours of remastered music by Frank Klepacki
  • 20 studio re-recorded songs performed by Frank Klepacki and the Tiberian Sons
  • 4 hours of B-Roll footage, making-of photos and unreleased music tracks.
  • Quicksave and Autosave support
  • Cinematic subtitles for both games
  • Text localization in French, German, Russian, Spanish, Polish, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese
  • Voice Over in English, French, and German

Where is Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun?

If this does well enough for EA maybe those will be re-mastered next. But they play a bit better on Windows 10 systems than the original games do, they also use a different engine so who knows if they'll be updated.
Time will tell... sooner or later.

Community Involvement

EA took the idea of remastering the original C&C games to the community, revealing the project in November 2018 with an announcement by Joe Bostic (co-founder of Westwood Studios)

A community council was established to help provide internal feedback during development, while updates have been posted to the C&C reddit every few months for the past year providing feedback on development choices, such as which songs/tracks to remaster.

Even the boxart was a fan design which was then comissioned by EA:

quote:

Now, some of you may recognize the box art adorning these physical versions, and also being used today in many of our storefront and website materials. As some of you know, this design was created following our announcement in 2018 by longtime C&C community member Pierre “Tchutch” Maindron from CnC Saga. When I first saw the design back then, I fell in love, and believed the design represented everything special about the community support for the project. So, a few months ago I reached out to Pierre, who I had known from our Community Summits over ten years ago, and asked if we could commission the design from him to be officially used for the project. Pierre was graciously supportive, and we are so humbled to have a community design be the key art and box cover for the Remastered Collection.

Videos

C&C Remastered Reveal Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMfypQj3k0
C&C Remastered Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtodXOIeW8

Kane Gets Personal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VAMcOJuhBA

"look who's coming back" Frank Klepacki teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMLEIDdIn0
EVA recording preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFl33QCqeG0
Jukebox and Soundtrack preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0VRJZCN1Y
Tiberian Sons soundtrack re-recording teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcaVLVBGG70
FMV reveal & up-scaling, searching for the master tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJLYYTrIxs

Additional Links

Game website
Pre-order page

Steam Store Page
C&C Subreddit (official news is posted here)

50 high-res images (imgur album)

Edit: Hey, EA are releasing the sourcecode for the original games, so expect a lot of total conversion modifications.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Game Tips:

Alt + Ctrl + Click for Guard Mode

X to scatter your troops (avoid getting them runover by a harvester)

Spacebar to swap between classic and remastered graphics settings (singleplayer only)

Zoom in with the mouse scrollwheel.

+ and - to change track without having to open the audio settings.

Steam workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1213210/workshop/

---

Spookydonut is looking at how the missions are put together, worth a look once you've played the campaign.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926664

Image dump and other various things in the future

(click for 4k/high-res preview)

-------
Removed from the main post as these have now sold out. Find them on ebay for double the cost if you want these.

Physical Editions:
Limited Run Games are producing two physical collections, with art books, soundtracks, posters, mini figures and such. These will not include a physical edition of the game, just a Steam download code which will be emailed to you before June 5th.

:siren: Pre-orders close on Friday April 10th at 11:59pm Eastern Time, no additional physical goods will be made after this date, every copy is being made to order there will be no excess stock :siren: (also note Limited Run do not offer refunds once you have ordered, so choose wisely)
Due to Covid-19 the release and shipping date of the physical goods might be delayed until sometime after June 5th, Limited Run will give an update on a revised release date in the coming weeks.

Edit 2: Pre-orders have closed but due to Covid-19 the physical sets will not ship until Q4 2020. This might also mean they go on sale again for a limited time in the future? Who knows.

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection: Special Edition (PC) $59USD [PREORDER]
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection: 25th Anniversary Edition (PC) $149USD [PREORDER]

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 7, 2020

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Having never played Tiberian Dawn and only a bit of the Soviet campaign in Red Alert, I'm really looking forward to this! Do the campaigns in Tiberian Dawn have a suggested play order ala Starcraft or can I just go for whichever?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the thread drunkill! You know, I've played every C&C game but never actually beat a single campaign, something I should rectify when this comes out.

a glitch posted:

Having never played Tiberian Dawn and only a bit of the Soviet campaign in Red Alert, I'm really looking forward to this! Do the campaigns in Tiberian Dawn have a suggested play order ala Starcraft or can I just go for whichever?
Order doesn't matter, they're alternate scenarios, though I think just about ever C&C sequel assumes the good guys won the previous game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll also assume this can also serve as a catch-all C&C thread and will probably end up re/posting random other stuff, mostly mods lol

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

a glitch posted:

Whichever order, but of course everybody picks the Nod campaigns because of the cooler logo when you're playing the game for the first time aged 7.

The missions will follow on from eachother once a campaign has begun with cutscenes and briefings playing between missions, but the remastered version of the games has a new front-end/mission select menu so you can jump ahead, play the alternate versions of missions (when you have a multiple choice on the map screen) or the missions from expansion packs. You can see some of those images in the second post of the OP.

We can only hope they adapt the original installer into the game somehow, that really set the tone of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioyLQ2O6yc

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm legit excited for this. Really hoping that C&C 2/RA 2 are down the pipeline.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha, never heard someone refer to Tiberian Sun as "C&C2" but i guess it is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The definitive ranking:

Generals/ZH>RA2/YR>TS/FS>CNC3>C&C/RA>RA3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TT

although on pure visuals I'd probably put C&C3 dead last

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

The definitive ranking:

Generals is overrated as hell imo. Its most fondly remembered for memes.

I'd put it before RA3 and TT though too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No? I play it to this day. In fact if anything it's most fondly remembered for mods.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Is it weird that I kinda also want Renegade?

Because I kinda also want Renegade.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What mods? Genuinely curious because RotR was in a weird incomplete state last month when I checked it out. Mid East Crisis was good too tho.

MO for RA2 has set an insurmountably high bar to clear.

Sorry if my first post was overly dismissive, just woke up :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 7, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dandywalken posted:

What mods? Genuinely curious because RotR was in a weird incomplete state last month when I checked it out. Mid East Crisis was good too tho.

MO for RA2 has set an insurmountably high bar to clear.

Sorry if my first post was overly dismissive, just woke up :(

I dunno that I'd call RotR "incomplete" because even if a new version never came out, what's there is still really polished and chock full of content. Otherwise there's been Shockwave, Contra, Cold War Crisis, Firestorm, Vietnam:GO, The End of Days, Untitled, Blitzkrieg 2, christ, just go on moddb and there are pages and pages of the things, some good, a lot bad.

That said, I do agree that Mental Omega is absolutely ridiculous in quality and the sheer amount of stuff it's got. Especially when you consider its singleplayer campaigns (that I haven't played lol) while ZH modding is more focused on skirmish gameplay.

E:But at the end of the day, I just really like ZH's gameplay more than any other :shrug:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm really excited for this, it looks like a remaster done right. More excited for Tiberian Sun and RA2 though :)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two days left to buy the 'physical' editions, after the 10th they will not be for sale, except probably on ebay with a 50% markup.

Here are the options: https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/editions

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Bought the $150 edition. :shepspends:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Durendal posted:

Bought the $150 edition. :shepspends:

Worth it if you can mod the obelisk with an illegal-strength laser pointer to burn out people's eyes.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It's probably asking too much but I would have preferred they made the sprites with a higher quality render and lighting and paint on more micro details so they don't look so "weird" at high res, Starcraft remaster had a similar effect and games like factorio have sprites that look good even at high res.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
CnC TS also has a pretty hefty mod community.

Twisted Insurrection (Basically a "What if Kane actually won the campaign?" bad future.) has a campaign, all sorts of new stuff, along with new music by Frank Klepacki. Apparently they managed to get him to come back to CnC and produce more music specifically for that mod. In fact, unlike every other mod it has multiple soundtracks of original music produced for the mod.

Pretty sure it might be standalone now too. So you don't need to own the original game.

Kinda not sure how these games will hold up given the modders efforts over the years.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 11, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Archonex posted:

Twisted Insurrection (Basically a "What if Kane actually won the campaign?" bad future.) has a campaign, all sorts of new stuff, along with new music by Frank Klepacki. It's pretty high quality, though obviously the TS era UI is kind of a bitch to use.

Pretty sure it might be standalone now too. So you don't need to own the original game.

Yeah it is, so is Dawn of the Tiberium Age, which I'm playing coop missions with my brother. It's a sort of (optionally) "expanded" remake of the first two games in the TS engine.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mordja posted:

Yeah it is, so is Dawn of the Tiberium Age, which I'm playing coop missions with my brother. It's a sort of (optionally) "expanded" remake of the first two games in the TS engine.

Pretty sure sure Dawn is included in TI too funnily enough.

It's got all these different era settings and is honestly nuts. You can even play the old CnC in updated graphics in the even more post-apoc (thanks to Kane being able to use the liquid tiberium nuke the planet is more hosed up than it is in the last official CnC game, to the point where there's an estimation of only a few years left for life on earth) TS TI era setting. We're talking, all the units and everything else.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mordja posted:

The definitive ranking:

This is the canonical game-goodness ranking, though it also lacks Renegade, which is at simultaneously every part of it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Where can you even get Zero Hour and Generals nowadays? Been wanting to retry them for awhile.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Archonex posted:

Where can you even get Zero Hour and Generals nowadays? Been wanting to retry them for awhile.

EA sells "Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection" on their Origin store, which includes most of the Command & Conquer series (including Generals and Zero Hour, also Renegade, but not the weird multiplayer-only spin-off "Sole Survivor") for like $20. The older games are kind of finicky. I THINK the first two C&C games in that collection are based on the Windows 95 versions and not the DOS version, which may matter if you're trying to get a functional version of the game running. I've actually been playing the DOS version of those games in recent years because they seem to work better than the old Windows versions, but your mileage may vary. Haven't tried out Generals in years, though, so I dunno how well it works in modern OSes.

I'm just surprised EA greenlit this project and it looks like they'll do a much better job at this than Blizzard did with Warcraft III. Strange times we're living in.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 11, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Archonex posted:

You can get it as part of the C&C ultimate collection on Origin or track down an old copy on Amazon, need to use something like C&C online for working multiplayer. You might have to do fiddly compatibility poo poo if you're using windows 10

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Archonex posted:

Twisted Insurrection (Basically a "What if Kane actually won the campaign?" bad future.) has a campaign, all sorts of new stuff, along with new music by Frank Klepacki. Apparently they managed to get him to come back to CnC and produce more music specifically for that mod. In fact, unlike every other mod it has multiple soundtracks of original music produced for the mod.

Kinda not sure how these games will hold up given the modders efforts over the years.

Twisted Insurrection is excellent too. Totally forgot about that one.

Honestly I think the remasters outright won't hold up to the mods we've seen. They are pretty much nostalgia for us.

Look at the lack of means to repair/heal units in Tiberian Dawn for instance. That poo poo wont fly in a more modern RTS.

Has there been any word on modability for the remasters anyway?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 11, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Dandywalken posted:

Has there been any word on modability for the remasters anyway?

Map editors for both games, which might mean custom campaigns/missions too.

No full modding at launch, but possibly in the future, this says to me "no modding until we decide to make and release RA2 and Tib Sun so the community don't beat us to them"

BlueTide
Apr 11, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa! I had no idea they were re-mastering these. Finally have a reason to fix my broken mouse! :neckbeard:

BlueTide
Apr 11, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Haha, never heard someone refer to Tiberian Sun as "C&C2" but i guess it is.

:eyepop:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

drunkill posted:

Map editors for both games, which might mean custom campaigns/missions too.

No full modding at launch, but possibly in the future, this says to me "no modding until we decide to make and release RA2 and Tib Sun so the community don't beat us to them"

Uh, I hate to tell you this but...

:v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dandywalken posted:

Look at the lack of means to repair/heal units in Tiberian Dawn for instance. That poo poo wont fly in a more modern RTS.

Just use a repair bay after spending so much to get it. Or if you don't want to bother, use the building sell cursor over it to sell the tank or whatever instead!

Or get soldiers real close to sandbag walls, and use the building sell cursor on them :v:

Remember you can also command a guard tower to "stop" selling itself to generate extra soldiers which then get sandbag-sell-cursored into quick funds because the original games have neat bugs.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Chronojam posted:

Remember you can also command a guard tower to "stop" selling itself to generate extra soldiers which then get sandbag-sell-cursored into quick funds because the original games have neat bugs.

:aaa: I had no idea you could do that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Clip of a remastered cutscene, in widescreen.

https://twitter.com/OfficialCnC/status/1255137931452313612

And the original for comparison (starts at 4:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqr9iBs_50&t=255s

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Game's out in less than a month. Hopefully this will succeed like AOE2 suceeded, I pray for some kind of resurrection of the genre.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The collector's edition got delayed till fall :negative:

They are still sending out Steam keys at the end of May though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yooooooooooooooo!!

quote:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

Since the announcement of the Remastered Collection, one of the top questions from the community has been if the game would provide Mod Support. Given the incredible C&C community projects over the past two decades, we appreciated how important this was going to be for the Remastered Collection. It’s time to finally answer the question around Mod Support, but it first requires the reveal of a special surprise for the community.

Today we are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license. This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL. It’s worth noting this initiative is the direct result of a collaboration between some of the community council members and our teams at EA. After discussing with the council members, we made the decision to go with the GPL license to ensure compatibility with projects like CnCNet and Open RA. Our goal was to deliver the source code in a way that would be truly beneficial for the community, and we hope this will enable amazing community projects for years to come.

So, what does it mean for Mod Support within the Remastered Collection? Along with the inclusion of a new Map Editor, these open-source DLLs should assist users to design maps, create custom units, replace art, alter gameplay logic, and edit data. The community council has already been playing with the source code and are posting some fun experiments in our Discord channel. But to showcase a tangible example of what you can do with the software, Petroglyph has actually created a new modded unit to play with. So we asked a fun question - “What would the Brotherhood of Nod do if they captured the Mammoth Tank?” Well, one guess is they’d replace the turret with a giant artillery cannon and have it fire tactical nukes! Thus the Nuke Tank was born. This is a unit which is fully playable in the game via a mod (seen in the screenshot above), and we hope to have it ready to play and serve as a learning example when the game launches.

Alongside Mod Support, I wanted to be transparent and address a feature which many of you have also been passionate about, which is LAN Play. Earlier this year, we had every intention of including LAN Play in the launch version of the game, but sadly this feature did not make it in time. Unfortunately LAN Play became the key impact of the Covid-19 situation as we realized the challenge of developing / testing a “local area network” feature in a workplace time of social distancing. We understand this feature is vital as both an avenue to play mods in multiplayer, and also to serve as a backup in case the online systems are ever down. We’re bummed this one got away, and will continue to keep this on our priority list going forward.

Now in terms of discovering user content, we wanted to take full advantage of the PC platforms to streamline this process. For Steam players, we’re utilizing the Steam Workshop for sharing both maps and mods. Players can subscribe to maps and mods directly in the game’s Community Hub within Steam, or utilize in-game menus to browse / download content as well. Origin players can use the same in-game process for downloading maps but will need to manually install mods into their respective folders outside the game. For both versions, once you’re in the game, you may navigate to the Options / Mods tab where you can then activate the mod. We’re aiming to put together further documentation on uploading content and the entire UGC process around the launch window.

Overall, we are incredibly excited to see what the community creates over the coming months. We anticipate some fantastic content for the Remastered Collection itself, some great updates in current community projects as they incorporate the source code, and perhaps we’ll even see some new RTS projects now made possible with the source code under the GPL. One final note we want to emphasize - we’ve done our best to bug fix and prepare these UGC systems for launch, but we have no doubt that once thousands of you begin creating and sharing content, some quirks will be discovered. Please continue to share your experience once the game launches, and let us know how we can continue to improve these tools for your benefit.

We look forward to seeing all of you on the battlefield in less than three weeks, and in the meantime please stay healthy, safe, and thanks for all your support and feedback.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
well hot drat

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Wow, source code and steam workshop support. That's really incredible!

I'm totally gonna dig through it because a game like that is still simple enough to wrap your head around all of the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats loving terrific news