Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Command and Conquer ultimate collection for sale on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/39394/Command__Conquer_The_Ultimate_Collection/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What the gently caress is "EA Play" and why would I subscribe to it to play a 1995 game made freeware in 2007?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What the gently caress is "EA Play" and why would I subscribe to it to play a 1995 game made freeware in 2007?

Are the freeware copies still up? I grabbed Tib Sun when it went freeware but I think it's gone now.

I think it's actually really neat that they threw all the ancient stuff on EA Play. Populous is on there, as far as I have seen there's no other subscription services that have games from the 80s on them.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Buy the games individually instead of the Ultimate collection and you don't have to have EA Play, for some reason. And they all work! I tested them. Gotta do some fuckery to stream (match the monitor resolution to the game resolution seems to work for all games with streaming issues) but otherwise they play like they used to.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Are the freeware copies still up? I grabbed Tib Sun when it went freeware but I think it's gone now.

CnC Net still has all three freeware games up:
C&C: Tiberian Dawn
C&C: Red Alert
C&C: Tiberian Sun

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Buy the games individually instead of the Ultimate collection and you don't have to have EA Play, for some reason. And they all work! I tested them. Gotta do some fuckery to stream (match the monitor resolution to the game resolution seems to work for all games with streaming issues) but otherwise they play like they used to.

Steam isnt showing the games available for purchase individually for me, everything i do it goes straight to the bundle.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

PlushCow posted:

Steam isnt showing the games available for purchase individually for me, everything i do it goes straight to the bundle.

:same:

They must have fixed ruined things in the last eight hours.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Theres a mod for TibSun thats sort of a remaster with new lighting and so on. Cant remember the name but it looks good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If you're talking about Tiberian War: WarZone, it's more than a graphics remaster and changes the gameplay mechanics a lot.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Red Alert 2 remake when? Pinnacle of the series.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Mordja posted:

If you're talking about Tiberian War: WarZone, it's more than a graphics remaster and changes the gameplay mechanics a lot.

Never heard of this... just installed it and it's pretty amazing.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mustached Demon posted:

Red Alert 2 remake when? Pinnacle of the series.

Petroglyph is currently working on [Unlisted RTS] for EA right after C&C Remastered was released, and it was also noted recently that C&C 1: Remastered was the "first" of the remasters. You can probably take a guess as to what's coming next.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dune 2000 remake.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mordja posted:

Dune 2000 remake.

Emperor battle for dune please

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Mordja posted:

Dune 2000 remake.

AI upscaled John Rhys Davies would be sick.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Emperor battle for dune please

Only if they improve the horrendous pathfinding AI of the original.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

I've been playing Tiberian Dawn again and it kind of comes off as a really weird game. It nails everything in art design and 90's culture at the time (cheesy FMV videos, kick rear end 90's style soundtrack, middle east conflict and tv news propaganda, lovely cyberspace sequences) and at the same time it's utterly insane. The story about a biosphere-destroying substance that people want to harvest instead of fix, soldiers dying from exposure to it like the use of white phosphorous and military burn-pits in Iraq, both sides of the conflict releasing 30 second tiktok CGI propaganda videos to the player between missions, and the economy only allows you to field small groups of over-priced, flaky and extremely fragile units whose each loss is extremely devastating. In fact it's not a bad strategy to sell all your buildings, down to stripping out the copper wire, just to eek out a few more dollars before attacking. The game predicted the state of military and political affairs of our current era.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 22, 2024

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Entorwellian posted:

Petroglyph is currently working on [Unlisted RTS] for EA right after C&C Remastered was released, and it was also noted recently that C&C 1: Remastered was the "first" of the remasters. You can probably take a guess as to what's coming next.

God a Tiberian Sun remaster would be the best, best, best thing ever if it's the same quality as the Dawn/RA1 remasters. Dawn was the game that got me into the series and I loved it, but Sun was basically the game that defined my mid-teenage years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mind over Matter posted:

God a Tiberian Sun remaster would be the best, best, best thing ever if it's the same quality as the Dawn/RA1 remasters. Dawn was the game that got me into the series and I loved it, but Sun was basically the game that defined my mid-teenage years.

Yeah, I think I liked the look and feel of Tiberian Sun more than just about any other game in the franchise and that'd be awesome.

Or, just give us that and RA2 and I'll be set.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'd very much love a TibSun + RA2 remaster. I've hesitate on revisiting them cause I remember some clunkyness with getting them going nicely on modern PC or issues with UI scaling or something.

RA2/Yuri's having the various sub-factions with their own unique units was really fun too, even if not the most balanced in multiplayer.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Surely we'll be getting a Sole Survivor remaster next, right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I really hope that we get better pathfinding and overall unit control in a TS/RA2 remaster. Those are the worst parts of TD/RA1 in the remaster of those and its not even close.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Fajita Queen posted:

I really hope that we get better pathfinding and overall unit control in a TS/RA2 remaster. Those are the worst parts of TD/RA1 in the remaster of those and its not even close.

There is steam workshop mod for the remastered versions that implements A* (same pathfinding algorithm used for TS/RA2) for both TD and RS, on top of other QOL improvements. It should of been put in the remasters but it was decided to have it "true to the original" as possible in the retail release.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing Tiberian Dawn again and it kind of comes off as a really weird game. It nails everything in art design and 90's culture at the time (cheesy FMV videos, kick rear end 90's style soundtrack, middle east conflict and tv news propaganda, lovely cyberspace sequences) and at the same time it's utterly insane. The story about a biosphere-destroying substance that people want to harvest instead of fix, soldiers dying from exposure to it like the use of white phosphorous and military burn-pits in Iraq, both sides of the conflict releasing 30 second tiktok CGI propaganda videos to the player between missions, and the economy only allows you to field small groups of over-priced, flaky and extremely fragile units whose each loss is extremely devastating. In fact it's not a bad strategy to sell all your buildings, down to stripping out the copper wire, just to eek out a few more dollars before attacking. The game predicted the state of military and political affairs of our current era.

Some themes are just ageless. While Red Alert is the better game, I prefer the setting/story of Tiberian Dawn.

I really hope there is a remaster of Tiberian Sun. I love it's grim setting of the planet on the brink of ecological collapse with ion storms and alien wild life.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fajita Queen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o

Tiberian Sun's pathfinding was insane.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah Sun'ss overall tone was my absolute favourite, even if RA2 and Zero Hour are the best actual games. I also thought Tiberium Wars completely missed the mark compared to TS and consider it the ugliest game in the franchise, albeit still fun. Just don't like its Scrin design. The Tiberium Essence mod is pretty much how I play it these days.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, I think I liked the look and feel of Tiberian Sun more than just about any other game in the franchise and that'd be awesome.

:yeah:

Though that's almost a reason not to remaster it. It's hard to imagine them touching it up in any way that doesn't make it feel off.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

:yeah:

Though that's almost a reason not to remaster it. It's hard to imagine them touching it up in any way that doesn't make it feel off.

I disagree. Maybe not a graphics remaster but the game badly needs its UI upscaled, and having a the mouse wheel zoom in-and-out like in the remasters, would make the game way more comfortable to play. Right now the two options are running the game at modern resolutions, which makes the ingame look like an ant farm or running the game upscaled from a lower resolution which looks like blurred and ugly. I loved in the remasters the ability to zoom out to see the full map and zooming in when fighting.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
They did a really good job remastering C&C1 and RA1's units and graphics, I think they could pull it off with TS/RA2.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I don't see a reason why a TibSun remaster couldn't be pulled off - no doubt it maybe has some things that they really gotta nail/can't ignore like the coloured lighting and terrain deformation.

But honestly I'd probably live with it "feeling off" since it's been an age since I've played, and something playable on modern PC without having to deal with UI scaling headaches is a big deal to me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

To go against the grain, my main memory of Tiberium Sun was being disappointed in it.
Like I was waiting for that game ever since the first C&C game ended with that FMV showing a suit of powered armour with a laser.

Then Tiberium Sun just lacked that charm of the original. Like it was a global conflict, but now that the world was a wasteland it doesn't really matter where you go.
The units just didn't have personalty. Like the Commando Unit in the first game was an adrenaline junkie Rambo type. Tanya in Red Alert was this cackling mad woman. The Commando in this (Ghosttalker) just sounded like he had a cold and was stuffed up.

I also remember all the crazy stuff they promised would happen in TS that got cut for time.

Funnily nough everything I wanted TS to be, I got with Red Alert 2. That game and C&C 3 are the C&C games I am smashing for!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Entorwellian posted:

There is steam workshop mod for the remastered versions that implements A* (same pathfinding algorithm used for TS/RA2) for both TD and RS, on top of other QOL improvements. It should of been put in the remasters but it was decided to have it "true to the original" as possible in the retail release.

Yeah that mod was a must. Added stuff like rally points for factories and better harvester logic too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

THE BAR posted:

This rules. I miss old Westwood, the design ethos he talks about made some awesome stuff.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

THE BAR posted:

This was a really interesting video that I had never seen before. Thanks for the link!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Question IRL posted:

I also remember all the crazy stuff they promised would happen in TS that got cut for time.

Funnily nough everything I wanted TS to be, I got with Red Alert 2. That game and C&C 3 are the C&C games I am smashing for!

To be fair this is how the series worked. Everything feature they missed in one game, happened in the next. The terrain changes and gas and stuff was supposed to be in RA1 iirc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Things I remember about TS:
Ordering the special edition box from the US store and paying with a money order because non-US credit cards didn't work.
The doctored screenshots.
The blatantly cheating skirmish AI. Like, it wasn't even hiding it...
Building GDI turtle bases with double walls protecting a force shield layer between them.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Things I remember about TS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL46lBdV0Qc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvRtnO13qzQ

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TS on a 28k modem was my first MP RTS experience. I... lagged out..............

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Mutants is such a top tier song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

Yeah Sun'ss overall tone was my absolute favourite, even if RA2 and Zero Hour are the best actual games. I also thought Tiberium Wars completely missed the mark compared to TS and consider it the ugliest game in the franchise, albeit still fun. Just don't like its Scrin design. The Tiberium Essence mod is pretty much how I play it these days.
I was extremely skeptical of a lot of EA choices, but in retrospect, I think Kane's Wrath and RA3 were the best multiplayer games. Kane's Wrath looks great, and the single players of C&C3/KW were nearly as good as TS. I wish there was just more of the multiplayer KW/RA3 design.

My rankings would probably be:

1. TS, but purely on vibes and aesthetic.
2. C&C3 and KW for best overall production.
3. RA2/YR, again for best overall.
4. Renegade for having incredible multiplayer.
5. RA3 mostly for multiplayer, and a cool aesthetic.

I wish there was either a new C&C in the style of C&C3 and RA3, or Tempest Rising filled that gap somehow. I really do miss GDI, Nod, and the Scrin though. I want a competitive 1v1 scene, with a competent single player.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 23, 2024