Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

KWs weak spot was campaign map design since it was (iirc) skirmish maps, but the factions and story ruled. And yeah, 3 def merits playing still.

Forgot the CNC3 mod that added a bunch of poo poo from TS, but it was a blast too. Theres a mod to restore Vanilla 1.0 balance settings too which is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Scrin reveal in C&C3 and then the fact that you could PLAY as them blew my drat mind back in the day. :allears:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

KWs weak spot was campaign map design since it was (iirc) skirmish maps, but the factions and story ruled. And yeah, 3 def merits playing still.

Forgot the CNC3 mod that added a bunch of poo poo from TS, but it was a blast too.

I appreciated KW's focus on just Nod for single player, and I think the focus created a better story overall. And honestly, Nod has the most compelling characters, in that it actually has characters. There's obviously no GDI equivalent to Kane, but there's not even a GDI equivalent to Anton Slavik, Killian, Alexa Kovacs, or the one Black Hand dude in KW's Act 1. The closest you get is GDI's Firestorm leads, who have a fun dynamic, but they get outperformed in their own campaign by CABAL and Anton.

The equivalent GDI focused campaign in Renegade similarly just kind of sucks character wise. The cancelled Tiberium looked better in this regard, but once again, the most interesting bit of unused lore in that was a lead character who was a Nod priestess.

Another thing I absolutely love about Kane's Wrath is it finally did reconcile the TS unit design with C&C 3. You had Titans and Wolverines (back and looking incredible), a hover sonic tank, artillery back with Nod, etc.

KW continues to have a balanced and mildly active online scene, and I definitely prefer its gameplay over the Blizzard style with StarCraft, but part of why I like it so much is just admiring how badass (and strangely cute) the Juggernauts look.

Anyway, tldr here is please give me more Command & Conquer. I've got a lot of little random models and toys from sci-fi I like, but my favorites are the complete set of pewter dudes from TS and RA2. I love this series.

Deakul posted:

The Scrin reveal in C&C3 and then the fact that you could PLAY as them blew my drat mind back in the day. :allears:

The unanswered cliffhanger of the Scrin boss saying you hosed up, and then promising to send in the actual invasion force was so cool. I also appreciate the details in the Scrin campaign which indicate that you're just kind of a middle manager gently caress-up in the middle of a routine harvesting operation. There's no greater motivation for them or mysticism, they're purely just conducting business. But the harvesting operation goes wrong because the past 60 years (or more if you count RA1 as the prequel it is) on Earth have been nothing but human militaries developing more and more insane tanks.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 23, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mustached Demon posted:

Red Alert 2 remake when? Pinnacle of the series.

let's go

Entorwellian posted:

Petroglyph is currently working on [Unlisted RTS] for EA right after C&C Remastered was released, and it was also noted recently that C&C 1: Remastered was the "first" of the remasters. You can probably take a guess as to what's coming next.

loving hell yeah

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I'd very much love a TibSun + RA2 remaster. I've hesitate on revisiting them cause I remember some clunkyness with getting them going nicely on modern PC or issues with UI scaling or something.

RA2/Yuri's having the various sub-factions with their own unique units was really fun too, even if not the most balanced in multiplayer.

Yuri's Revenge kind of broke me tho, things got a bit too meta. Just give me vanilla RA2 remake and I'll be happy

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I could really go on and on about how much I love the Tiberium games and their aesthetic. Like Nod in C&C 3 going full cult, to the point that they're using completely ridiculous stained glass decor in tanks, or the desperation of GDI to cling to the :krad: looking Hammerfest base in Tiberian Sun.

Some of the crazier poo poo, like Tiberium plants and stuff, took an unfortunate step back in C&C3, but the idea that Tiberium just naturally goes through phases and ends up becoming more glacier-ish while killing off literally everything doesn't even clash much with lore. You have to consider that it's just supposed to be an easily harvestable resource for middle-manager Scrin types at this stage in its development.

When I compare GDI to the Terrans, or the Scrin to the Zerg or Protoss, there's just no contest. Aesthetics wise, C&C blows Blizzard out of the water.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 23, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Also one more post of me geeking out here, but either though all of Villeneuve's Dune has been incredible, I really loved the scene showing an on the ground perspective of the Atreides base, complete with silos and refineries (the former not actually existing in the books). It made me think of the Westwood RTS games, and what a bigger budget C&C could look like in 2024.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Nichael posted:

(and strangely cute) the Juggernauts look.

The Juggernauts would sometimes have an animation where they act like chickens, too.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TuxedoOrca posted:

The Juggernauts would sometimes have an animation where they act like chickens, too.

Or dogs when they scratch their ears. I wish there was a C&C 3 Juggernaut model I could buy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

YoursTruly posted:

Surely we'll be getting a Sole Survivor remaster next, right?

A few people in the thread are in agreement: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919118&userid=52140#post505580856
Especially with the popularity of battle royale games, maybe it could work.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Ars Technica video made me wonder what Castle is up to, and I found this about his company:

rip

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nichael posted:

4. Renegade for having incredible multiplayer.

Still my absolute favor online multiplayer game ever.
Fond memories of hours long marathon matches on Hourglass

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Still my absolute favor online multiplayer game ever.
Fond memories of hours long marathon matches on Hourglass
It was extremely innovating, and it was never quite matched by anything else (or maybe I'm just no aware of something similar). And like Castle mentions in the Ars Technica video, well designed multiplayer gameplay is of course important, but it helps to have some sort of emotional attachment to a given tank, unit, etc and GDI and Nod are good for that. Much more so than whatever random lore is spit out for Overwatch, Apex Legends, etc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, is there a C&C4 apologia community yet?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Renegade was rad, but I feel like Battlefield 1942 scratched a very similar itch for me - it doesn't quite have the same base to base and unit purchasing, but it had the whole "tanks, air and infantry" aspect that wasn't really around in shooters up to these two games.

But for sure, Renegade had that extra angle of "seeing that RTS you loved from the ground" and getting to pilot the variety of vehicles was rad. I still remember finding a custom map that had nod bikes that weren't normally available.

I remember always pining for a Tib Sun version of Renegade - I think there was a fan project that wanted to do just that, but it remember it being in limbo/incomplete for basically forever.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

So, is there a C&C4 apologia community yet?

I believe so. They're burning in Hell ofc.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I thought they weren't gonna remaster TS/RA2 because of the voxel engine being too finicky to work with. TS could also do with some extra attention (why is everything so brown-grey?)

fwiw the Mental Omega mod is an incredibly strong RA2:YR remake even if it's very deliberately different to the original - it's a bit of a love letter for the C&C series as a whole

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Nichael posted:

It was extremely innovating, and it was never quite matched by anything else (or maybe I'm just no aware of something similar). And like Castle mentions in the Ars Technica video, well designed multiplayer gameplay is of course important, but it helps to have some sort of emotional attachment to a given tank, unit, etc and GDI and Nod are good for that. Much more so than whatever random lore is spit out for Overwatch, Apex Legends, etc

That renegade X remake looks fantastic and is basically a 1:1 remake of the original game but with more content

Unfortunately they also decided to recreate the original’s extremely floaty gunplay and bullet sponginess

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yup, Renegade's actual shooting was too arcadey and felt pretty bad. I always thought it was such and own-goal that EA never just tried making a Battlefield C&C game, but considering how they treat their franchises, it's unsurprising.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

That renegade X remake looks fantastic and is basically a 1:1 remake of the original game but with more content

Unfortunately they also decided to recreate the original’s extremely floaty gunplay and bullet sponginess
Yup, that's why I never stuck with it too. Their TS version, Firestorm, looks to be a little more "modern" in that sense and while it's taking a while, they're still very actively working on it.
https://twitter.com/TotemArtsStudio/status/1759132264531681390

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Yeah renegade was from that awkward early 2000s era of fps when they were trying to be realistic ish so no rocket jumping or quake style antics but also hadn’t figured out how to make it satisfying yet
An era no one tries to recreate the way they did boomer shooters, for good reason

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Give it time...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

The pacing was unreal. It felt like you playing a whole new game after wrapping up the first.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Decided to double-dip on the C&C Ultimate Collection and thought "Ya know, I own C&C4 on disc and remember nothing about it. Maybe I'll try it out again for shits and gigs."

Fuckin launcher comes up, can't see to get past it. Make a throwaway login, try to enter the game, get 'General system error'. Over and over. Lmao

Guess I won't be playing 4! It's fine, plenty of good C&C nostalgia to bask in

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah C&C4 is an easy skip, the soundtrack is about the only good thing that it had going for it.

Up there with Dawn of War 3 as one of the worst sequels I ever played.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm the guy who loves Dragon Age 2 and generally likes the Battlestar Galactica finale but C&C 4 is a bridge too far.

Had it been released as C&C Arena, or whatever the gently caress they wanted to call it for the multiplayer only/free to play experiment that it was supposed to be, I probably would've played it a little bit. But full price for a game that purports to be in the main series, but destroys all of the canon and gameplay was absurd.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 27, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nichael posted:

I'm the guy who loves Dragon Age 2 and generally likes the Battlestar Galactica finale but C&C 4 is a bridge too far.

Had it been released as C&C Arena, or whatever the gently caress they wanted to call it for the multiplayer only/free to play experiment that it was supposed to be, I probably would've played it a little bit. But full price for a game that purports to be in the main series, but destroys all of the canon and gameplay was absurd.

Yeah, I only ever played the multiplayer beta and thought it was kinda fun, for what it is. Which isn't a mainline C&C game. Shoulda just made it a F2P spinoff or something.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Is there a belief/enough smoke that a TS/RA2 remaster is back on the table now? I was kinda under the impression that the community had given up on it.

I'm playing Tib Sun at the minute and having a superb time. Great game. I was originally going to jump straight into RA2 after this but I might hit the pause on that if there's even a moderate belief we might be seeing another remaster collection soon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bumhead posted:

Is there a belief/enough smoke that a TS/RA2 remaster is back on the table now? I was kinda under the impression that the community had given up on it.

I'm playing Tib Sun at the minute and having a superb time. Great game. I was originally going to jump straight into RA2 after this but I might hit the pause on that if there's even a moderate belief we might be seeing another remaster collection soon.

Good question.
Last page people posted some details, but EA recently released a while bunch of their back catalogue on Steam including the old C&C games.

Then, separately, some EA people started referring to the Remaster as "the first C&C Remaster."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/command-and-conquer/new-remastered-collection

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Possibly the ol Russian invasion put paid to a RA2 remaster for awhile as well? Nintendo felt the need to delay a fully finished Advance Wars remake for most of a year or more because of it and that's not even close to anything real.

RA2 is about Russia attacking Europe and the US, and lets you do some war crimes. Obviously it's all Cold War alt timeline/reality bullshit and you could change some aspects but EA still might have felt it better to not touch it for a little while.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Question IRL posted:

Good question.
Last page people posted some details, but EA recently released a while bunch of their back catalogue on Steam including the old C&C games.

Then, separately, some EA people started referring to the Remaster as "the first C&C Remaster."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/command-and-conquer/new-remastered-collection

Yeah I guess slightly unfairly I'm hoping that someone knows enough to say "yeah they're doing it!" and I've just missed that detail at some point, hah.

In reality nobody knows and I guess we're all circling around the same info.

I think you could make an argument of equal strength that the C&C dump on Steam the other week was a play at re-building brand awareness and interest ahead of more remasters, but also "we're not doing anything else with the series, but here's access to all the old ones".

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What's the best way to play Tiberian Sun comfortably on a 1080p display without game elements being microscopic?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deakul posted:

What's the best way to play Tiberian Sun comfortably on a 1080p display without game elements being microscopic?

Same as with any other old games: use the GPU driver to do display scaling and run the game at 800x600.

I'd highly recommend using preserve aspect ratio and just living with the black bars too: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_scale_my_desktop_-_Windows_Vista_and_later.htm

Burns
May 10, 2008

While i like TibSun music and atmosphere i always felt that the sprites and vehicles looked bad. I dont know if a remaster would be able to really overhaul those assets.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Burns posted:

While i like TibSun music and atmosphere i always felt that the sprites and vehicles looked bad. I dont know if a remaster would be able to really overhaul those assets.

I love my Tiberium Tinman.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

THE BAR posted:

I love my Tiberium Tinman.

he looks like he poo poo himself

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Nichael posted:

Anyway, tldr here is please give me more Command & Conquer. I've got a lot of little random models and toys from sci-fi I like, but my favorites are the complete set of pewter dudes from TS and RA2. I love this series.

You'll love these then...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda prefer the modern military aesthetic of tiberian dawn both in gdi and some of nod's units over tiberian sun and i will die on this hill.

That being said, the light tank should be a t-55 and not a bradley.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Alright, lunch break's over"

"No, comrade. It has only begun."

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Some of the descriptors in TD/RA were bizarre. Like basic td infantry all being mini gunners for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Some of the descriptors in TD/RA were bizarre. Like basic td infantry all being mini gunners for some reason

I remember reading this old strategy guide for TD that had these tortured explanations for why rocket soldiers had infinite ammo in their descriptions of units.