Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

In the expansion they did! Pretty good ones, too.

Wasn't the expansion SP only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI both editions of the boxed version of the remaster are available at Bestbuy.com

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Very excited for the 16th's "WEB BROWER GAME"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hed posted:

Very excited for the 16th's "WEB BROWER GAME"

It's literally just RA2 in a browser
https://chronodivide.com/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
THAT is actually really cool, I was just making fun of the typo [WEB BROWER] in what looked like an official graphic

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mokinokaro posted:

Wasn't the expansion SP only?

Unfortunately yes :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, this is hella impressive.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1a44y1h7DY

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Something looks off about it. Can't put my finger on what though.

I decided to boot up RA3 and give it a whirl again. I forgot how short the campaigns were. When I finished the Soviet campaign I felt wanting for more. Also playing though it again made me remember how much I love playing as the Soviets in RA games.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

I decided to boot up RA3 and give it a whirl again. I forgot how short the campaigns were. When I finished the Soviet campaign I felt wanting for more. Also playing though it again made me remember how much I love playing as the Soviets in RA games.

It's using the models from C&C4 and is porting them into the TS/RA2 engine. The art style of C&C4 was lacking, just like virtually everything else in the game.

RA3 probably had some of the worst campaigns, but I think it had the best multiplayer barring maybe C&C 3 and Renegade. It's pretty sad to me that SCII took all the 1v1 attention of the era (and then competitive RTSs kind of died), because C&C 3 and RA3 had competitive multiplayer that was actually fun to play.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mesadoram posted:

I think it's that the tanks don't actually move with the terrain; they sort of float above it. Around 1:15 there's a bunch of them rolling over a hole in the ground like it wasn't even there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

THE BAR posted:

I think it's that the tanks don't actually move with the terrain; they sort of float above it. Around 1:15 there's a bunch of them rolling over a hole in the ground like it wasn't even there.
That'd be an engine thing, voxels in RA2 can handle slopes but look all...voxely, while SHPs can obviously look a lot crisper but can't animate over gradients.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mordja posted:

That'd be an engine thing, voxels in RA2 can handle slopes but look all...voxely, while SHPs can obviously look a lot crisper but can't animate over gradients.

I thought it was in the RA2 engine, and their ripped C&C4 models simply don't have that ability. Or am I reading this wrong. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So are we getting an official RA2 remake or are they just going to let fans cobble poo poo together?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm on the last Nod mission - 13a, 13b, 13c which to my understanding are all pretty different.

Which one is the most fun?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So are we getting an official RA2 remake or are they just going to let fans cobble poo poo together?

I so hope they do. This remake was very well received, but idk how it did financially.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mesadoram posted:

I so hope they do. This remake was very well received, but idk how it did financially.
I think they sold around a million a few weeks after launch which, for how cheap it would have been to make, was definitely a good ROI. I remember they were talking it up as a success not long after it came out, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordja posted:

I think they sold around a million a few weeks after launch which, for how cheap it would have been to make, was definitely a good ROI. I remember they were talking it up as a success not long after it came out, too.

Turns out when EA just supports their devs rather than kneecapping them for short-term financial gain good things can happen

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Are there any especially good mods out there? Are there enough people still playing for creating new mods to be worth it?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

YoursTruly posted:

Are there any especially good mods out there? Are there enough people still playing for creating new mods to be worth it?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

"Unit reporting!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

YoursTruly posted:

Specifically for the remasters you mean? No, unfortunately not really. There is still an active scene for the other games in the series though, they just stuck to their respective engines it looks like.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Motherfucker!

Edit:

By all means take and use these as you see fit.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 5, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm on the last Nod mission - 13a, 13b, 13c which to my understanding are all pretty different.

Which one is the most fun?

I've always loved 13c for being the ultimate engineer-based steal-everything-athon. You start on an island, and GDI has a couple of bases that'll constantly harrass you with airstrikes and orcas. But they're placed in such a way, that once you take over the first, you can snake sandbags over to the next and take it out with stolen mammoth tanks and obelisks.

13a and 13b are both split in a commando mission first, then you get your base at the halfway point.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

13b gets annoying becuse you'll have bases on both sides of a river, and you harvesters will frequently decide that closest refinery is on the other side and get stuck (until you manually tell the to go somewhere else.

13a permits you to use this against the AI - if you leave the refinery on the first island alive, the harvester on the second landmass will try to return there and get stuck, leaving the AI with no income.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Really hope so. RA2 is my favorite and Tiberian Sun is a bit of a pain to get running on modern systems.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mokinokaro posted:

Really hope so. RA2 is my favorite and Tiberian Sun is a bit of a pain to get running on modern systems.

Er, TS works right out the box if you get the CNCNet version https://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I reinstalled Tiberian Sun on Windows 11 the other day and I still had to spend a bunch of time cycling through different DirectX wrappers and restarting the game until I found one that worked. It’s still a pain, and if you want to get borderless windowing working it’s even worse.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Am I the only one who likes futzing around with lovely Tech Level 1 skirmishes?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Light Infantry is such a powerful unit in Tiberian Sun, so it wouldn't change much for me there, at least.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I want to play something like an RTS version of Renegade/A Path Beyond. Maps with pretty pre-made bases.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I also would like to play something like C&C Rivals on the Remastered engine. :twisted:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nope, I always loved that stuff or similarly low tech level skirmishes in basically all the games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

I reinstalled Tiberian Sun on Windows 11 the other day and I still had to spend a bunch of time cycling through different DirectX wrappers and restarting the game until I found one that worked. It’s still a pain, and if you want to get borderless windowing working it’s even worse.

I just went and installed the CNCnet version and it worked without me having to do a thing, no problems when I selected windowed from the launcher either. I am on W10 though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Er, TS works right out the box if you get the CNCNet version https://cncnet.org/tiberian-sun

This worked for me before except for some reason the FMVs were all hosed up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

I just went and installed the CNCnet version and it worked without me having to do a thing, no problems when I selected windowed from the launcher either. I am on W10 though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Yeah there are definitely configurations where the default will work fine. And plenty where it won’t, that’s why they give you a bunch of options. I haven’t seen a situation where there isn’t at least one that’ll work, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKxEO7MUGRI

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Renegade Multiplayer was one of the most fun experiences I had way back when, only shadowed by Starsiege Tribes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Isn't Renegade X kind of the same thing?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Entorwellian posted:

Renegade Multiplayer was one of the most fun experiences I had way back when, only shadowed by Starsiege Tribes.

I never played Renegade but I loved the first two Tribes. drat that brings me back.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nichael posted:

Isn't Renegade X kind of the same thing?

RenX is a remake/reimagining on UE4, while this is just the old game all gussied up. In practical terms, the biggest difference is that you can actually play the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Is there any way to mod modern mouse controls into Tiberian Sun?