Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got some questions about RA2 game speed that I've asked about in the strategy thread before but I wanna wait until everyone's ragers subside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So does anyone know if rules.ini editing works in the Remastered collection?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im super impressed so far.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Spookydonut posted:

ouchies, why couldnt they use the same rendering they used for the installer for this

The installer(s) were created from scratch by a fan, CCHyper who has been around the C&C community for yonks.

It is a little disappointing they did a new worldmap for mission selections but didn't re-do the cinematics with maps. Ah well.

Overall, after playing the first 5 GDI missions, this is good.

I'm having some trouble connecting to MP games but I'm sure the servers are being hammered.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pussy Cartel posted:

So does anyone know if rules.ini editing works in the Remastered collection?

Edit: also was about to ask this lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I got some questions about RA2 game speed that I've asked about in the strategy thread before but I wanna wait until everyone's ragers subside

What about it? I don't like playing on the fastest speed either. I think Faster is the one I like.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean yeah that was pretty much it. It feels like someone should blast yakety sax over it. I wonder if it made since back when pcs were slower but now it's basically playing on fast forward

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is the best remaster I've seen in quite some time. The redone intros were amazing and got me so excited to play. Graphical updates look great too. Stupid work, I want to destroy GDI! :argh:

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 5, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean yeah that was pretty much it. It feels like someone should blast yakety sax over it. I wonder if it made since back when pcs were slower but now it's basically playing on fast forward
I always play on speed 4/6. Fastest is basically unplayable and faster is still too much for me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same on speed. 4/6 is most playable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the optimal number of barracks/factories for the build speed increase?

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Loaded up the map editor and was able to open an old Red Alert map I made when I was like 13. It modified something as it re saved it creating a .json and .tga file alongside it, for the in-game previews no doubt. Works otherwise with no fuss straight away in-game also!

Might just have to get a usb floppy drive to get the other ones I may still have on an old disk lying around.

Though admittedly the maps I made were pretty one sided so me and a friend could just make stunning bases with walls, traps and minefields but still...

Edit: Jeez I last saved that map November 1998 :corsair:

Slavik fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 5, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mordja posted:

They pulled the article because I guess there's an embargo, but I saw the headline for wccftech's review calling it something along the lines of "the perfect remaster."

I'm surprised they called it difficult, I'm six missions in and considering you only get access to like four different units all I do is make riflemen/grenadiers in batches of 5 and send a big clump at the enemy. Right click on each unit to focus fire, put the tankier vehicles in front against non rocket infantry

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtodXOIeW8

Also, big tip:

Alt + Ctrl + Click for Attack Move Guard. welp.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 5, 2020

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Game owns. Really liking the updated graphics!

I feel like I'm being stupid but I can't get past the GDI commando mission! It seems if I sneak too close to the base every single enemy on the map decides to hone in. Am I missing something stupidly obvious?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

w0o0o0o posted:

Game owns. Really liking the updated graphics!

I feel like I'm being stupid but I can't get past the GDI commando mission! It seems if I sneak too close to the base every single enemy on the map decides to hone in. Am I missing something stupidly obvious?

There's a preset kill limit, kill too many nod and it sets all units to hunt.

from my LP:

A lot going on here.

Okay first we have a bunch of all to hunt triggers.
Attack any vehicle or the turrets and everything comes after you.
Destroy any of the SAM sites in the base and everything comes after you.
Kill 20 units and everything comes after you.

That blew my mind. Counting up, between the start and the base there's 17 infantry you have to kill. So the more infantry that comes out of SAM sites when you destroy them the closer you get to hitting 20.

The cell triggers to the southeast of the base causes the two light tanks to hunt you.

The two SAM sites at the start cause the chinook to arrive when they get blown up.

Waypoint 25 is another of the special waypoints, it's the location of the flare effect when triggered. It get's triggered when you kill that northmost rocket soldier in the start area.

The AI is setup to replace destroyed buildings but
code:
[Base]
Count=0
There's nothing to rebuild.

There's a win if all enemies are destroyed but that's required by the engine I think.

The other win condition is linked to every building in the base that isn't a SAM site or turret.

See that minigunner next to waypoint 4 at the west base entry? Kill him and 4 flame troopers come after you. Well that's not actually true, they go to wp4 then wp12, wp4, wp6 and stay there. If you outrun them they'll not be a problem. Feels like they're missing a loop 0 at the end of their teamtype. They will definitely put you over the 20 unit limit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drunkill posted:

Also, big tip:

Alt + Ctrl + Click for Attack Move

Wait I thought they weren't going to add this in?

Edit: Ok, this is just the Guard mode that was in the original game. Your units will move to the location you pick and be more aggressive about attacking enemy units around it once they're there, but they won't stop and engage stuff on the way.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 5, 2020

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
This poo poo is so good guys. The new EVA opening is also a great callback.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Game owns.

Kane owns.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

He is the future

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

drunkill posted:

Launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtodXOIeW8

Also, big tip:

Alt + Ctrl + Click for Attack Move

Great tip. I cannot wait to play this when I get out of work.

I bought this game mainly because it really REALLY seemed like they put a lot of effort and love into it. As much as I don't like EA (RIP Westwood), this is something I can totally get behind.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's an old page that goes over what the movement hotkeys do:

http://ra.afraid.org/html/ra/hotkeys.html

The formation move and queuing stuff only work in RA, still

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Kane owns.

Seth (Just Seth) is a punk bitch.

From God, to Kane, to Seth to my damned bozack you beret wearing doof.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Played a few missions, and yeah this is exactly what it was supposed to be. This and StarCraft Remastered are great examples of how to do remasters properly (and WC3 Reforged how to gently caress it all up.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Double Bill posted:

Played a few missions, and yeah this is exactly what it was supposed to be. This and StarCraft Remastered are great examples of how to do remasters properly (and WC3 Reforged how to gently caress it all up.)

:agreed:

Remaster is great!

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Spookydonut posted:

That blew my mind.

You've blown mine, thank you so much!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Still at work so I haven't been able to play yet but did they fix the England and France country bonuses so they don't do the opposite of what they should do?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm only a few missions into the GDI campaign but so far this remaster is very good.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
To deploy the APC you need to double click on them but if you double click too quickly you select all the APC's on the screen. There is a deploy key for the MCV but not for infantry Transports?

Already up to GDI mission 9, one more and I can start deploying my Orcas! :black101: Loving this remaster, the music is even better than the original "In the name of Kane....In the name of Kane....KANE LIVES"

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I checked quickly, but do the obelisks not light up at the base with the remastered graphics?

Otherwise game is good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sininu posted:

Not when they invulnerable from Iron Curtain.

WE WILL BURY THEM

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is the game even balanced enough for multiplayer? If I recall, Allies always won with medium tank spam or some such similar thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gabriel S. posted:

Is the game even balanced enough for multiplayer? If I recall, Allies always won with medium tank spam or some such similar thing.

I thought it was the opposite? Allies lose unless cruisers save the day.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Gabriel S. posted:

Not at all. They didn't touch the balance so it's all tank spam meta.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I can't believe they killed Kane at the end of the remaster.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sininu posted:

Not at all. They didn't touch the balance so it's all tank spam meta.

That doesn't like fun at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Bought this instantly, cannot wait to recreate my 13 year old times.

Pretty sure I played most of c&c1 with Are You Experienced? In the cd tray so have all of the game set to that as a backdrop.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i recall at least at one point in c&c 3 NOD could rush a tank really fast, it was maybe the fastest rts rush i can think of?

if there was a faster one i wanna hear about it though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gabriel S. posted:

The original games were never balanced for multiplayer. That was back in the days where internet connections were dark magic and IP via messenger pigeon might have legit been faster than your dial-up as AOL kept mailing free drink coasters to every mailing address that might or might not have existed. I remember the Remaster crew saying that they were interested in editing the balance at a later date for proper multiplayer action but at launch it's gonna be the same old setup (GDI crushes puny Nod forces in Tiberium Dawn, Allies call upon Ford and GM to drown Soviet armies in tanks in Red Alert). Partly because they didn't want to get into that stuff while trying to get the game out partly because they didn't know how the new UI and ability to unit queue may or may not mess with the balance.

Anyways, adding another "Oh god I'm 8 again, only the game has good graphics and the UI, while still the C&C sidebar, is modernized and sleek and awesome!" onto the pile. Love having a radar screen with a high enough definition I can actually see the tiberium/ore growing on a tile per tile basis.

Also loved the "EVA upgrading itself" intro, took me a second to realize what was going on but loved it the same.

Relax Or DIE posted:

i recall at least at one point in c&c 3 NOD could rush a tank really fast, it was maybe the fastest rts rush i can think of?

if there was a faster one i wanna hear about it though.

C&C 3's multiplayer was incredibly solid, especially the expansion with its Generals style sub-factions. At least once the initial goofiness was cleared up with poo poo like "Titans can run over other Titans."
Though my friends/room mates never let me live down the time I said ZONE troopers had "Rocket mounted shoulder pods" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Disgusting Coward posted:

Kane owns.

Seth (Just Seth) is a punk bitch.

From God, to Kane, to Seth to my damned bozack you beret wearing doof.

The rehearsal takes are great. Seth originally said he was Kane's right-hand man in the first mission and for whatever reason that really ruins the whole quasi-religious mystique about NOD, so I'm glad they changed it to just "right hand".

The difficulty slider for Tiberian Dawn is also a welcome addition. The NOD campaign is so hard in the original because NOD units generally suck.

Also :siren: THERE ARE ACHIEVEMENTS :siren: I don't think they originally announced they would have them, so it's a nice surprise.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 5, 2020