Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah oh god, Im awful at not murdering my own dudes because of grenadiers.

Also, AI is too drat good at crushing my infantry. This sure is C&C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tempted to reload my save and try destroying the airstrip since i burnt out on mission 7.

FrickenMoron posted:

I really forgot how hard and unforgiving C&C1 is. The CPU just has such well defended bases and immediately rebuilds all losses with seemingly infinite funds. Definitely frustrating to lose your entire strike force and it justs rebuilds everything.
That's kinda where I'm at. The AI also gets particularly aggressive under attack - you can manipulate this in some ways by attacking and running. But also, it feels like they start producing units really fast/hard. Shooting the hand of nod turns it into a clown car, apparently.

I'm actually wondering if the AI plays by the rules in campaign - in mission 7 it felt like the AI had a nearly inexhaustible ability to pump out units despite only having one refinery.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think some of the FMVs are from the console version, or that's what I heard and I'm going with that rather then me just having a very bad memory.

C&C1 memories: As a kid I remember being very bothered by the campaign/enemy exclusive units like the SSMs and chem troopers. I think at one point I found a mod that enabled you to build some of them, but it was pretty janky because you could build boats but they had no ability to actually be controlled so they'd just patrol east/west from their construction point.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GDI 8a can suck my rear end. AI rebuilt their refinery and airstrip. Unless they got a con yard hidden way in the corner or some poo poo this sucks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

They do.
Mission map and trigger explanation from Spookydonut's LP:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22096
Full LP located here, but requires archives:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

An APC with engineers lets you grab the contruction yard pretty easily, since the AI keeps most of its unit where they are produced.

If it's any consolation, GDI 8b is a lot more annoying:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22127
See those civilians in the bottom left? You lose the map if they die. Oh, and they will wander around in the nearby tiberium and get themselves killed unless you wall them in ASAP.

Well poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I just totally missed out on RA1 as a kid, so TD has stronger nostalgia. I think as a kid RA1 also looked less interesting/cool to me? But it was probably mostly just a lack of access to it. (For the longest time the only version of C&C I had was the Covert Ops Disk, I think, so I literally had nothing but super hard missions, few which let you actually build bases/use the full tech tree.)

But between RA2 & TibSun I think I like RA2 more. I think part of me finds the Tiberium universe more interesting/compelling, but it also feels kinda depressing?

RA2 just felt like it had a lot more variety (particularly with YR adding a third faction) and was just generally more fun/silly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I forgot about C&C1 was just how few unique unit voices there are, or more precisely, that there is no unique unit voices? (Besides the Commando?)

Did TibSun have unique lines for all units? I'm almost sure RA2 did.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I noticed that name change immediately too, then went "oh, of course."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

That’s part of the reason I never played it; all the previews were focusing on the co-op aspect of it and that’s something that I never really wanted in C&C. Also I know RA has the the reputation as being the “wacky” C&C, but something about the general aesthetic of RA3 seemed like they went overboard in the wackety schmackety direction.

But people say it’s good, and I own it, so I might as well give it a shot!

I mean, that wackety schmackety tone gave us this glorious thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Gloomy" is definitely how I remember TS. Re-reading the high-level story of the Tiberium Series and what i remember of TS definitely feels in line with the peril/direness of what was happening.

Like in particular a memory of that game that has stuck with me was the ion storms. They helped sell the "poo poo has gone kinda bad" vibe. But I also specifically remember the mission where you play as GDI during an ion storm and your tech tree is limited since ion storms prevent hover vehicles from working (and aircraft as well?) ...but by this point in the campaign, I had started cheating since I wasn't good enough to beat missions legit, and many missions ago I used an editor to make hover MRLS insanely strong (after a unit mission gave me mostly just hover MRLS) but in subsequent missions I think I used the editor to also make it so I could always build my OP hover MRLS, including in the aforementioned ion storm mission.

Only they'd come out of the weapons factory and immediately get sucked to the ground. On the upside, I had very powerful base defenses at that point.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I always thought TS kinda sucked and replaying it isn't changing my opinion. It's not terrible but it's the weakest of the three. I do agree about the vibe of it being cool though. I can see a remaster working if the C&C/RA one sells well, the voxel art is just so butt ugly. It was bad at the time and does not hold up.

I haven't played TS since I was a kid, so it's definitely a matter of nostalgia for me, but what would you say makes it weaker then TD?

Re-playing TD with the remaster, I can't help but find it a bit...dull? That's not really it's fault so much the fault of every other RTS game I've played since.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

C&C is definitely a series I play for campaign/skirmish*. Just how quickly things can play kinda puts me off multiplayer (thought it was funny in high school demolishing people who left the back of their base unguarded with paratroopers or SEALs)

* I think it's for that reason I really like stuff like RA2:YR and Generals:ZH - there's just so much variety in factions that there's a lot of replay in just trying out different stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's also a thing I dislike about TS, you can't turn off just superweapons like other C&Cs and there's this loving annoying thing that blows up buildings in your base, cannot be defended against, and the AI seems to be able to build it within like a minute of the start of the game. I was having my poo poo wrecked by this dumb missile before my tiberium refinery was even up.

That definitely is awakening a feeling/memory.

I was just thinking about how I'd really like to see a psudeo-RTS that foregoes competitive multiplayer and a "symmetrical" match-up, for something more akin to a management/factory game where there's a lot more focus on base building & churning out units. Enemies would exist mostly to be a barrier to expanding your base (you'd need to expand to get more resources and stuff needed to get new tech) and maybe also to cause you to balance building defensive structures with your offensive and economy?

Like lean on that part of RTS where the fun is having a whole bunch of weird and fun units to try on the AI?

I mention this partially because 1) I want it, but 2) I'm reminded of how Generals had a setting that let you build unlimited super weapons and I just remember building like 20 particle beam uplinks so I could dunk on easy an AI, and I feel like that kind of thing would very much be a part of a "factory builder rts" kind of game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

The rose-tinted glasses are why they gotta have the old graphics mode in. Just to prove they did in fact change the graphics.

For some reason I'm used to thinking spacebar should center the map on wherever the last announced event occurred. Is there a key for that?

I think that's a Blizzard RTS thing? I have the same reflex. Dunno if there's a rebind, but some other game got me in the habit of panning the camera with WASD so I had to rebind that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

I'm really hoping TS and RA2 are next and get the same level of treatment.

Same. Might be a lot of nostalgia but I remember RA2 being a lot more "accessible" and refined in terms of campaign design, and the unit/army variety was just so good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'd very much love a TibSun + RA2 remaster. I've hesitate on revisiting them cause I remember some clunkyness with getting them going nicely on modern PC or issues with UI scaling or something.

RA2/Yuri's having the various sub-factions with their own unique units was really fun too, even if not the most balanced in multiplayer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I don't see a reason why a TibSun remaster couldn't be pulled off - no doubt it maybe has some things that they really gotta nail/can't ignore like the coloured lighting and terrain deformation.

But honestly I'd probably live with it "feeling off" since it's been an age since I've played, and something playable on modern PC without having to deal with UI scaling headaches is a big deal to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Renegade was rad, but I feel like Battlefield 1942 scratched a very similar itch for me - it doesn't quite have the same base to base and unit purchasing, but it had the whole "tanks, air and infantry" aspect that wasn't really around in shooters up to these two games.

But for sure, Renegade had that extra angle of "seeing that RTS you loved from the ground" and getting to pilot the variety of vehicles was rad. I still remember finding a custom map that had nod bikes that weren't normally available.

I remember always pining for a Tib Sun version of Renegade - I think there was a fan project that wanted to do just that, but it remember it being in limbo/incomplete for basically forever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

THE BAR posted:

I love my Tiberium Tinman.

he looks like he poo poo himself

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

yeah, silliest? that thing was rad as hell (if maybe kind of impractical if you consider it seriously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I decided to look at the wiki a bit and man, the Mammoth Mk III looks so boring.