Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Limited Run has started issuing the Steam keys for the remaster. They say to wait until June 1st before emailing support if you haven't received yours.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Question: Will they eventually remaster all of them?

RA2 is practically a national treasure so I think it'd be foolish of them not to. I'd be surprised if they haven't already put some effort into scoping the work. Officially, all they've said is they won't rule it out.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AMA here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/gswgbw/amaa_were_the_team_behind_the_command_conquer/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They just posted the source code today:

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection

Durendal posted:

Never got my Steam key, now I get to wait 3-5 days on Limited Run's support. Not that big of issue since the preload is 25GB and there is no way I would be able to download it anyways.

I was shocked it was 25GB. Is every little unit built in 4k!?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

it's probably from the bajillion music tracks they added

Duh, and I forgot they pulled in cutscenes from the console versions and whatever else they could find in storage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A special message from Kane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VAMcOJuhBA

and a link to "secret" intel:

https://www.ea.com/games/command-an...s=1591296121439

the wallpaper download includes ANIMATED GDI AND NOD BRIEFING BACKGROUNDS FOR ZOOM CONFERENCES!!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yo this is even better than I expected, and I was super hyped

MMF Freeway posted:

Seems good on this front btw. The FMV up-scaling looks a little wonky but that's to be expected I guess

I'm kind of blown away by how much I remember every second of all these video interludes

Yeah the FMV looks janky in certain scenes but the comparison videos really show off how awful the source material was. IIRC somebody used the same AI technique to upscale RA2 videos and it looks a lot better there, probably because they weren't so low-res from the beginning.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1jA0C8uJI

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I got some questions about RA2 game speed that I've asked about in the strategy thread before but I wanna wait until everyone's ragers subside

What about it? I don't like playing on the fastest speed either. I think Faster is the one I like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the optimal number of barracks/factories for the build speed increase?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drunkill posted:

Also, big tip:

Alt + Ctrl + Click for Attack Move

Wait I thought they weren't going to add this in?

Edit: Ok, this is just the Guard mode that was in the original game. Your units will move to the location you pick and be more aggressive about attacking enemy units around it once they're there, but they won't stop and engage stuff on the way.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 5, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's an old page that goes over what the movement hotkeys do:

http://ra.afraid.org/html/ra/hotkeys.html

The formation move and queuing stuff only work in RA, still

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VALIS666 posted:

There are some things that take adjustment just because the game is so old (I think your troops have an awareness level of either "an enemy is right in front of me" or "an enemy is shooting me"),

Put them in guard mode where they are with G or Ctrl + Alt + Left Click at their destination and they’ll act more like you expect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's funny seeing people get reminded of how difficult C&C was back in the day. The missions where you just straight-up get a base to build up are the easy ones - everything else is kind of a murderously difficult puzzle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People already started working on fixing the harvester AI before the game came out. I expect we'll probably see a lot of overhaul mods start popping up within the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if the devs have a plan to allow mods in multiplayer at some point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

Is there a way to keep units in formation so the fast units don’t speed ahead of the slow ones and get massacred before my tanks can get there, or did this game predate that kind of option?

Only in RA. Check the hotkeys, but it should be F when you select a group of units.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Katamari Democracy posted:

What am I missing? I noticed the weird name change too but I'm confused by the of course part.

Humvee is trademarked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kin posted:

As an aside, was there ever a way discovered to roll back the Steam C&C3 version to unfuck the campaign difficulty?

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I would kill for this. I've been wanting to replay those campaigns for years.

There's no way to roll back the Steam version but this guy recently made a mod that backs out the economy changes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandand...tm_medium=web2x

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

axeil posted:

I booted up Tiberian Sun last night (from The First Decade) and holy crap its borderline unplayable. Every unit looks like an ant and it's impossible to tell what's going on.

I imagine the games from Generals onward are less of an issue because they're true 3D and you can zoom the map.

If you're using the cncnet loader or ddraw.dll replacements make sure you play it in something like 1280x720

Scaling up to 1920x1080 or greater makes things too tiny for me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

axeil posted:

Er, how do I do this? I have an AMD card.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

I've never done that because, as with every other C&C game, there's a fanmade thing that just makes the game work in Gentool: https://www.gentool.net/

This is how I did my recent play through. Being able to pull the camera out is very nice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s no way I’m going back to playing without the rally points that the pathfinding mod adds

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

I still haven't played with that yet because I think it might end up conflicting with my zoom mod? How much of a difference does the pathfinding itself make?

It’s still not fantastic but you do have to babysit your units a lot less. The harvesters are also smarter about how they queue up for drop offs. They’ll still get hung up on bridges, though.

All mods conflict because you can only run one .dll at a time. Check for mod compilations. People are just cramming everything into mega mods and the more clever ones are adding .ini files that let you turn off the mods you don’t want.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

I didn’t play either of those—since the remasters have me on an RTS kick maybe I should try them out. I also still own RA3 through Origin; I should probably get around to finally playing that too. I seem to recall Petroglyph made a Star Wars RTS a while back—how does that one hold up?

Kharak is an awesome, if short, playthrough and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a recent-ish RTS. I thought Grey Goo was well-produced but felt pretty miserable to play.

RA3 is definitely worth a playthrough, and so is Star Wars: Empire at War.

I'll throw Battlestar Galactica Deadlock out there, too. The strategy layer is pretty simplistic but the gameplay is a ton of fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just buy the game on Origin and download the ISOs somewhere. I have like three retail copies lying around and licenses on Steam and Origin so I feel no shame.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is pretty funny when you micro a few infantry well enough to take out some of an opponent's tanks but it takes so much concentration that you'll probably get owned somewhere else while doing it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C&C multiplayer is only remotely balanced through gentleman's agreements. God help you if you encounter an opponent who knows "the meta" because they will 100% be doing poo poo like selling their conyard immediately to rush you and quitting if it doesn't work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is becoming my favorite QOL mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121899275

quote:

**Every feature can be toggled in the INI file.**

A* Pathfinding
This mod replaces the "crash and turn" pathfinding in Tiberian Dawn with a simple implementation of A*. Generally this means that your units wont get lost or stick to edges when moving around the map.

Rally Points
All construction buildings (and repair depots) can now set rally points. Order a building to move to set a rally point on the ground. Hold Alt to set a rally point on a unit or building.

Repair Suspended Instead of Cancelled
Buildings will no longer cancel their repairs if you run out of money. They'll just pause and continue when you do have money.

Harvester Queue Jumping
Harvesters will no longer wait around the refinery for a harvester that is further away. They'll now jump the queue if they're closer. Maximum efficiency!

Tiberium Growth Scale
Configurable tiberium growth. Defaults to 1 (normal growth) but you can set it as high as you like in the ini file

Configurable Build Distance
By default you can now build one tile further from your buildings (as in later C&C games), but you can make this distance as big/small as you like in the ini file.

Repair Depot Queue
Units will now form an orderly queue for the repair depot. No more micro management!

Harvester Self Healing
Harvester will now self heal up to 50% health, at the same rate as the mammoth tank. This is in line with later games in the series and should make them going on grand tours of the enemy base a little bit less annoying.

Commando Mission Airstrike Tweaks
Disables A10 Warthog strikes on commando missions prior to the player having a base

The tiberium growth is probably the only thing that truly unbalances the game but it's set to standard growth by default.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

I have tried to find this game and failed, I only had the demo back at the time but I remember the unit design part was fantastic... I never found a :filez: copy and it's not on GoG :(

https://archive.org/details/msdos_War_Inc._1997

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ran into a nasty bug where loading a save on the last mission crashed the game every time. Luckily the save system forces you to make a bunch of backups.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chronojam posted:

The part that sucks is they select-all instead of teleporting if you double click

Someone needs to mod in the deploy key that RA2 has. Wouldn't help in multiplayer, though.

I might take a crack at it if I feel up to it this week

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gdi would never kill children*

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Has anyone here played Twisted Insurrection? I'm enticed by the seemingly well-produced campaign but I'll lose interest if it's going to hammer my balls like Mental Omega's.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad with Seth's briefing having maps that point to actively different countries than where you clicked. Just in case you didn't miss that the names were wrong. No wonder he's getting kinda pissed at you after a while: He tells you to go to point A, you go to point B, and Kane still loves your work!

I also love that there are identical missions set in both Ukraine and Germany

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Watch it be missile subs

He explains in one of the Reddit comments; it is indeed the missile subs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eregos posted:

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

Some people mentioned not being able to get Tiberian Sun working on a modern OS. I too struggled unsuccessfully with this years ago. But Tiberian Sun was released as freeware in 2010, and since around 2015 CnC net's Tiberian Sun mod has continued improvement. You can download the full game plus Firestorm expansion under 'Full Game, patches and Linux'. It seems to run stably on my system, though I had to play around with the resolution to get the cinematics to be fullscreen, settled on 1280X800 as a compromise, same as I did with Dune 2000 Gruntmod back in '17.

Tiberian Sun was the #1 old game that didn't run anymore I had on my 'to play' list. For years I was convinced the only way to play it on a modern OS was with full OS emulation or VM ware. I swear there was a thread dedicated to doing this to get old games to work around 2008, but I couldn't find it even in the SA archives. Anyways, finding the CnC net mod is a pleasing time saver.

edit: I'm of the view cncnet mods that get Tiberian Sun, other games working are useful enough to mention in the OP. Along with a disclaimer about Hard difficulty having a rough implementation at present.

The only renderer that works properly on Windows 10 (including windowd/borderless modes) is the cnc-ddraw one here: https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases. You can just drop it in to the installation folder to use it. The TS, RA2, etc. launchers all make this part really confusing because they offer a bunch of options with no explanation but the intent is to maximize compatibility on various systems.

Twisted Insurrection is the first one I've seen that comes with the cnc-ddraw dll

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i'm enjoying the "current events through the lens of C&C" memes while i can because i know it'll all end tragically with some white supremacist chan guy being caught with a Nod tattoo on his arm

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The magazine ads for TS doctored in fake lighting effects so their actual presence in the game was a little underwhelming

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Attack Move is now available in the CFE Patch mod (can turn things on/off in the ini) as well as a standalone mod

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's an outstanding list of changes

Good work

Wow way to ruin The Original Experience:

quote:

Made an adjustment to GDI Mission 8 where Civilians will now avoid Tiberium tiles, and the trigger-happy Civilian has been removed from the map entirely

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 22, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trigger Happy Civilian was the hero of C&C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Trigger Happy Civilian was a cop.

I retract my statement of support