Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Okay that remastered 'installer' was amazing and very faithful to the original

You weren't kidding, that was a goddamn treat! I'm glad they kept that in and expanded on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Loaded up the map editor and was able to open an old Red Alert map I made when I was like 13. It modified something as it re saved it creating a .json and .tga file alongside it, for the in-game previews no doubt. Works otherwise with no fuss straight away in-game also!

Might just have to get a usb floppy drive to get the other ones I may still have on an old disk lying around.

Though admittedly the maps I made were pretty one sided so me and a friend could just make stunning bases with walls, traps and minefields but still...

Edit: Jeez I last saved that map November 1998 :corsair:

Slavik fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 5, 2020

Slavik
May 10, 2009
To deploy the APC you need to double click on them but if you double click too quickly you select all the APC's on the screen. There is a deploy key for the MCV but not for infantry Transports?

Already up to GDI mission 9, one more and I can start deploying my Orcas! :black101: Loving this remaster, the music is even better than the original "In the name of Kane....In the name of Kane....KANE LIVES"

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Unlocked the dinosaur missions after thinking about it for a few seconds and how you accessed the Ant missions on the counterstrike disc.

On the main Tiberian Dawn menu click the four nuts/bolts in each corner surrounding all the menu options. I was holding shift, dunno if you need to do hold it too.

Forgot the annoyance of harvesters getting stuck when two of them try to cross the same bridge. Having to micromanage them as neither of them will blink first and yield.

Realised I still fear the hum of the TD Obelisk charging up!

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Red Alert triggers are way more complicated that TD

Also the carryover from previous missions is pretty cool, ant missions 1-2 do this, and allied mission 2 carries over everything you have to mission 4...

I always find it fun to take the time in mission 2 to build a large defensive area to the north and plop down more refineries so you are more prepared once mission 4 starts. I'm surprised it was never used again.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Found my old C&C strategy guide from storage for a read and to help with a mission or two. Its great with all the little bits backstory and world building written in it. As a bonus it has stuck on the inside and backside covers, printouts of GDI and NOD bases made in their respective final missions. I must of done this back around 1998 or 1999. Must have had a bit of free time time on my hands with the base layouts and that I had both sides construction yards at my disposal.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There was another map on PS1 Retaliation my friend and I used to play on link cable that had tesla-civilians and nuke-civilians, and the best way to get civies was to build advanced power plants and then sell them, which would leave 2 or 3 civvies behind. It was incredibly dope.

I think the map was named "The Hills Have Eyes" on pc? Lot of fun!

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Fallom posted:

Has anyone here played Twisted Insurrection? I'm enticed by the seemingly well-produced campaign but I'll lose interest if it's going to hammer my balls like Mental Omega's.

Not as crazy as Mental Omega but it is a challenge. Worth checking out. I liked the aesthetics and the way they designed/laid out the existing bases into the maps with roads, concrete, lighting, detail etc. Though there are a lot of missions where you either don't do any base/unit building or you won't be until 15-30 minutes into a level, if you are into that.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Much as I love TS, the atmosphere, missions, videos I always found the speed of units and economics not so great on repeat plays.

I made a rules.ini file where I tweaked a bunch of things with not really any knowledge on how it worked just to speed it all up.

I recall faster vehicle speeds on harvesters, jump jet, orcas, disrupters. Tiberium worth 50% more. Adding a medic and a cyborg which fired a lower powered titan cannon to NOD. Buildable mammoth tanks to GDI. It's probably laughably quite unbalanced but it made for fun and quicker single player and skirmish games. I probably just needed more harvesters.

I did love the optional side levels though that could help you out on the main mission. With briefings from Cabal and EVA voice overs after the little story videos. Wish they had kept that feature for the later games.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Tiberian Sun, that Renegade X game is getting a TS mode this fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL-sKU3wrgY

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing what they produce. Renegade X is quite under-appreciated, including the work that continues to go into it since its first public release several years back.

I still play it from time to time and its biggest problem is the balance of units and how they work in some of the maps. Most of that is not helped because at its core Tiberian Dawn was never exactly balanced and its hard to recreate a faithful TD and Renegade experience with how the units worked in both original games.

Moving more firmly into the Tiberian Sun world will help with that.

Actually, I never played the Tiberian Sun Reborn mod for the original Renegade. Did moving into TS help with Renegade's balance?

Slavik fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 20, 2020

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Wow Drunkill, I never knew there was such drama going on behind the scenes or that uninstall issue wiping your hard drive. I remember some of the bits like merging with APB and just always assumed it got a good release or two. What a crazy history.

As there are a few posters with community links going back 20+ years has there been much heard of Lion who used to run the fan site CNCDen? Is he well? I used to help post news for a short while back on his site and never heard anything again after he decided to retire himself and the site.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Ditto on only just started doing the mining on the shore trick on this playthrough. Saw it in one of TaxOwlbear's Youtube videos. Its basically the sandbug trick in TD for naval transports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Chronojam posted:

At the time, Micro Machines military forces were also available in the same colors as GDI and Nod, so you could play along with toy medium tanks and Nod buggies.

Hell yeah :hfive: never did have a buggy but had most of the other real life counter-parts.