Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, since this is a source port of the pre-tib sun games the tib sun AI is mostly irrelevant. I'd expect a direct port of the original AI for the campaigns so as to not break mission scripts, but likely a more modern AI for skirmish since there's much more freedom of implementation there.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

LLJKSiLk posted:

Question: Will they eventually remaster all of them?
The answer is likely directly related to a number of people's credit cards, at least for a Tiberian Sun/RA2 compilation. Beyond that there's likely less compatibility problems or need to upscale since it's vector graphics.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 28, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mordja posted:

Desperately need a mod that makes NOD's tank inexplicably look like a Bradley IFV.

In Renegade X one of the bonus crate vehicles is the Bradley IFV version of the light tank. No idea if that could also happen in the actual Renegade.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fister Roboto posted:

They should have given the option to keep the scanlines from the originals.
The originals DOS versions didn't have scanlines but delicious chunky VGA pixels! Scanlines were for the windows 95 versions of C&C and RA1 (the latter of which was bundled with DOS RA from the get go, admittedly).

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carecat posted:

I was surprised how little they throw you into the game with. The tiberium explanation happens way later and you don't really get a lot about Kane.
One thing that I didn't remember is some TV reports get a voiceover by Kane on the Nod side that shed some more light, it's the GDI side that's got precious little information to go on.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Burns posted:

Besides functionality issues RA2 seems to hold up quite well grahically speaking, excluding the vehicles. Tiberian Sun really could use a remaster.
Yeah, the vehicles are probably gonna be the big change in a remaster. The voxel-based models haven't aged well at all.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress

Did they have to completely rewrite the whole game?

It's easy to forget but it's in the era where completely rewriting the ports was the norm.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the infantry stat factoid that's all too easily overlooked when you only consider numbers is "less than half the health" is actually more like "there's still some hair stuck to my tracks".

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Regarding playtesting, according to the Tiberian Sun postmortem on Gamasutra, it got three months of purely internal playtesting, ie the devs playing it locally. You'll likely find Starcraft got more and wider scale playtesting.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spookydonut posted:

I forgot about this goofy af netrunner thing with the cgi

What really cracks me up is they remade the whole netrunner room (along many others including the end-credits-only Nod museum) in Renegade's temple of Nod level.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fruits of the sea posted:

Tiberian Sun was not well received on release because a lot of features that were promised never made it into the final game. A casualty of short development time.

According to the post mortem they wrote about it it wasn't due to dev time, it's just that the features didn't work and several of them had been announced without checking whether they were feasible at all, Molyneux-style. As for the "short" development time, they extened it by nine months, for a total of three years which hardly seems short for the time (Starcraft took the same time), and it still wasn't enough. They don't say it was too short for what they planned, they say they planned things that they thought would be trivial and weren't (How complicated would it be to switch to isometric? Surely there can't be that many bits of the engine hardcoded to assume screen aligned tiles? Right? Right?).

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
So far the best guess is the HD graphics are using some kinda fancy load-on-demand texturing scheme instead of just having everything precached, so it loads tons of stuff in the early game. There also seems to be some vsync problem.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sample_text posted:

I'm dying to see a HD sprite of this:

Given that they were voxel models and not sprites, I suspect the remaster will use polygonal models. Hopefully they'll share the same lighting algorithm as the originals, to better stick to the look.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

power crystals posted:

I think the problem is that Nod in TD doesn't really have a motive beyond "oppose GDI" so they're pretty open to interpretation on whether that's good or bad. Yeah, Kane is in love with tiberium, but it doesn't really go into "why" all that much. If your reading is "GDI = good guys" which is certainly the expected reading at least at a surface level then it makes sense to assume that the other guys must be bad. Plus all the red theming, the Hand literally grasping the world, etc. I mean yeah that reasoning falls apart if you look at for more than ten seconds, but it's not like there was much else to go on until TS came around.
It's all GI Joe. Nod's just Cobra with a different animal and it's best not to dig into their motivations being cackling bad guys lest you discover their leader's actually an immortal alien from outer space or something.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 27, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

anyone else think it's kind of odd that they force you into remastered graphics for multiplayer? not that i'm complaining, necessarily, i just don't really grok why you can't toggle it like you can offline.
It means that the two visual front-end are not mechanically equivalent, and the usual netcode approach for RTS requires them to be, so the exact same computations run on all clients. It can be something stupid, like how the nuke doesn't spawn the same number of explosion sprites or infantry units have 8 idle sprite directions in HD and only 4 in the original. And you kinda fudge around that in single player when toggling but in multiplayer that won't synchronize so the toggle has to go.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 28, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I don't think OpenRA has anything to do with the motivations behind the remaster, it's been around for like 13 years (and they were already working on Tiberian Sun support in 2016). It happened because after the whole Rivals debacle EA tasked someone with figuring out what that whole Command & Conquer thing was, and found they could rely on some actual ex-Westwood at Petroglyph instead of, say, having to ask Bioware to botch an Ultima.

Chev fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 21, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The unit voxel files just don't contain enough information for a good looking upscale, especially for the less blocky RA2 stuff, they'll most certainly just use bona fide 3d models (likely still by Lemon Sky). The touch up work you'd need would be just the same as making them from scratch, as many a would-be RA2-in-Renegade modder has discovered. Plus there's nothing justifying the development of GPU-compatible voxel rendering for the vehicles when they could just get better performance from 3d models in this era, even super high detail ones. All they'll need is a bit of shader work to make the unit lighting look like it did back then and it'll look great.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 14, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm merely using it as the main community that looked into upscaling voxel models. However, the conclusion wasn't that it just wasn't good enough for full size FPS vehicles, just that it really isn't good for any kind of upscale. They're really, really rough, not particularly distant from the C&C/RA1 sprites in terms of details, and the spatial information doesn't make up for it at all. Just training a neural network to acknowledge that the gray things on the sides of this are wheels would be a technical challenge (and a simpler upscaler would just see them as boxes), let alone deducing the finer details that are just lost but would be necessary to at least meet the visual standard set by the first remaster collection. On the other hand give those two pictures to a human modeler and you'll get a good first iteration in like two hours.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 14, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I'm not interested in a remake but I definitely want a remaster in the same vein as the one this thread's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Red Alert 2 is hugely popular in China but apparently the funny story is it happened through a pirate release and specifically repackaging a mod that added an overpowered China faction. C&C itself is merely a footnote on Red Alert 2's glory (which is why Tencent went with it for their mobile game), and Generals isn't too liked because of its inaccurate (even within General's general tone) depiction of China.