Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly both of these games are really janky and weird in a lot of ways, to the point where even with the remaster, i really wouldn't suggest someone with no nostalgia for these games buy it. TS/RA2 was really the start of the C&C games being playable by modern standards, even setting aside technical considerations, and the QOL stuff the remaster adds is nice but it only really goes so far.

but, as someone who played way, way, way too much TD and RA1 as a kid... it's proof that, even after all these years, you can't kill the messiah.

I'M A MECHANICAL, I'M A MECHANICAL, I'M A MECHANICAL MAN

e: that said, the story has aged loving magnificently. like, both of these games are lowkey CSPAM as hell, TD is basically neolibs vs space Posadists (I don't really get the conception of them as fash, their whole thing seems to be more "tiberium = fully automated luxury space communism, not cancer apocalypse") and RA1 is literally half wild-rear end soviet politicking. i suspect for a lot of people who didn't grow up on these games it's gonna be a situation where they love the story and absolutely hate the gameplay.

Hell yeah, this. Also the acting is pretty hilarious in some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The pathfinding is so bad. If I select a group of units and click to attack an enemy unit, some of them will get in range and start shooting, others will just walk right up next to the target, and the rest will just stand still. It sucks rear end.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TD economy sucks poo poo through a straw. Its so goddamn slow and cumbersome.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silos are what, 150 bucks in RA? A single one is enough to make sure that doesn't happen, and otherwise if you're sitting on money past the first few minutes you're not spamming hard enough.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have C&C3 physical discs... somewhere... but I haven't had a PC with a disk drive since at least 2010, so cheap copies on steam sound great.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The game is being upfront and honest with you that you should just never play it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I really hope that we get better pathfinding and overall unit control in a TS/RA2 remaster. Those are the worst parts of TD/RA1 in the remaster of those and its not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

THE BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o

Tiberian Sun's pathfinding was insane.

This rules. I miss old Westwood, the design ethos he talks about made some awesome stuff.