Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

axeil posted:

I remember this mission being insanely hard too.

I haven't replayed any of the Soviet missions yet, but even after 20+ years, Khalkis Island is still burned into my brain.

The way I remember doing it was after clearing the mainland was just building a ton of Yaks and having them hit the command center & other stuff on the island. The AA guns would murder a fair chunk, so I'd try and time them with recon flights, as those would draw some of the fire away from the fighters. Aside from that, I recall the Allies would sometimes get a landing craft full of reinforcements on that beach to the Southeast, and they'd ruin paratroopers I'd try and drop ahead of any landing. I'd build up as much as I can, with subs slowly clearing the Allied ships, and then go full D-Day with several ships dropping troops on the Southwest beach.

Probably not the best or most efficient way to do it, but that's how 10-year old me did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Having now finished the Nod and GDI, the one thing that I didn’t like some were the Commando/small units with no base missions, and I remember those were the ones I had the most trouble with back in the day. It’s a lot of trail and error (Also save scumming) for some of them, but the difficult slider on TD made them more tolerable. Not gonna lie, I think I did most of those on Casual.

Also, for those who finished the GDI campaign, which ending did you get? I thought finishing the temple with the ion cannon got Kane vaporized at the end, but I got one with him getting hit by a ton of bricks that I don’t remember at all...

Finally, add me to the list wanting Tiberian Sun & RA2 remasters ASAP. Both of those were great, and I loved the post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk-ish at points look of TS so much.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Nostalgamus posted:

Was the temple the last building standing when it got ion cannoned? I think that's also a requirement.

That might have been it, as I think there was a silo or a power plant left. I know for sure the Ion cannon was the last thing to hit it, as I’d been hitting it first with Orcas and called them off, gave it a second or two to be sure nothing else was coming in, and then fired the ion cannon. I think I saved shortly before that, so I’ll try it again later and see what happens...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

obese retard posted:

There are two endings for completing the GDI campaign that depend on how you destroy the Temple of Nod in the final mission.

1) Destroy the temple with any other means besides the Ion Cannon and you will unlock the cut scene that shows the temple ruins fall on top of Kane. (the one you watched)
2) Destroy the temple with the Ion Cannon and you will unlock the cut scene that shows Kane holding his hands out in a t-pose, welcoming the incoming Ion Cannon blast as he is vaporized. (YouTube Link)

If you destroyed the Temple of Nod with the Ion Cannon and saw the first cut scene you may have run into a bug.

Edit: Also, you don't need to spoiler tag the ending. The original game is 25 years old at this point so I don't think anyone really cares if you spoil the ending.

Having just gone through this myself, I think the temple also needs to be the last building standing when you hit it with the ion cannon. I finished it with the ion cannon but left some silos and power plants, and got the first ending. I reloaded my save, wiped every single last Nod bit from the rest of the map, then ion'd the temple to get the second ending.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

gary oldmans diary posted:

I don't want them to put any effort into anything but Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun remasters right now.

:hmmyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Am I the only one who likes futzing around with lovely Tech Level 1 skirmishes?

Nope, I always loved that stuff or similarly low tech level skirmishes in basically all the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mind over Matter posted:

God a Tiberian Sun remaster would be the best, best, best thing ever if it's the same quality as the Dawn/RA1 remasters. Dawn was the game that got me into the series and I loved it, but Sun was basically the game that defined my mid-teenage years.

Yeah, I think I liked the look and feel of Tiberian Sun more than just about any other game in the franchise and that'd be awesome.

Or, just give us that and RA2 and I'll be set.