Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing Tiberian Dawn again and it kind of comes off as a really weird game. It nails everything in art design and 90's culture at the time (cheesy FMV videos, kick rear end 90's style soundtrack, middle east conflict and tv news propaganda, lovely cyberspace sequences) and at the same time it's utterly insane. The story about a biosphere-destroying substance that people want to harvest instead of fix, soldiers dying from exposure to it like the use of white phosphorous and military burn-pits in Iraq, both sides of the conflict releasing 30 second tiktok CGI propaganda videos to the player between missions, and the economy only allows you to field small groups of over-priced, flaky and extremely fragile units whose each loss is extremely devastating. In fact it's not a bad strategy to sell all your buildings, down to stripping out the copper wire, just to eek out a few more dollars before attacking. The game predicted the state of military and political affairs of our current era.

Some themes are just ageless. While Red Alert is the better game, I prefer the setting/story of Tiberian Dawn.

I really hope there is a remaster of Tiberian Sun. I love it's grim setting of the planet on the brink of ecological collapse with ion storms and alien wild life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

:yeah:

Though that's almost a reason not to remaster it. It's hard to imagine them touching it up in any way that doesn't make it feel off.

I disagree. Maybe not a graphics remaster but the game badly needs its UI upscaled, and having a the mouse wheel zoom in-and-out like in the remasters, would make the game way more comfortable to play. Right now the two options are running the game at modern resolutions, which makes the ingame look like an ant farm or running the game upscaled from a lower resolution which looks like blurred and ugly. I loved in the remasters the ability to zoom out to see the full map and zooming in when fighting.