Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
This is pretty cool. I wonder how my nostalgia will hold up with these things. I loved me some Red Alert and the ant mission were fun. I don't remember how the dinosaur missions worked, I played them and the dinosaurs were invisible, and buggy, but they had great sound effects which I'm pretty sure were just westwood employees making dinosaur noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Spookydonut posted:

There's a preset kill limit, kill too many nod and it sets all units to hunt.

from my LP:

A lot going on here.

Okay first we have a bunch of all to hunt triggers.
Attack any vehicle or the turrets and everything comes after you.
Destroy any of the SAM sites in the base and everything comes after you.
Kill 20 units and everything comes after you.

That blew my mind. Counting up, between the start and the base there's 17 infantry you have to kill. So the more infantry that comes out of SAM sites when you destroy them the closer you get to hitting 20.

The cell triggers to the southeast of the base causes the two light tanks to hunt you.

The two SAM sites at the start cause the chinook to arrive when they get blown up.

Waypoint 25 is another of the special waypoints, it's the location of the flare effect when triggered. It get's triggered when you kill that northmost rocket soldier in the start area.

The AI is setup to replace destroyed buildings but
code:
[Base]
Count=0
There's nothing to rebuild.

There's a win if all enemies are destroyed but that's required by the engine I think.

The other win condition is linked to every building in the base that isn't a SAM site or turret.

See that minigunner next to waypoint 4 at the west base entry? Kill him and 4 flame troopers come after you. Well that's not actually true, they go to wp4 then wp12, wp4, wp6 and stay there. If you outrun them they'll not be a problem. Feels like they're missing a loop 0 at the end of their teamtype. They will definitely put you over the 20 unit limit.

Cool as gently caress. I always enjoyed that mission, but I'd always try to destroy all the sam sites, which is very difficult, and apparently completely pointless. Is there any difference between blowing up the airfield (the mission objective) and not? I think I recall that the next mission only had like two fewer light tanks or something trivial/minor like that.

e: AS for multiplayer I'd always win by spamming recon bikes as nod. Once you get like 10ish of them you can kill/run past any of GDI's forces and pop their barracks before they build counter infantry. 20 and you can kill their construction yard and tiberium refinery's before they can respond. Plus you can easily kill their harvester before they can stop you.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 6, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pussy Cartel posted:

I was never able to create new warheads in RA1 back in the day, I know it's possible for TS and RA2 but little kid me never figured it out for RA1 (if it's even possible.)

I don't think you could create new ones, but you could certainly use the already existing ones, such as firing dogs from bazooka men, or having infantry shoot nukes etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

It's funny seeing people get reminded of how difficult C&C was back in the day. The missions where you just straight-up get a base to build up are the easy ones - everything else is kind of a murderously difficult puzzle.

Covert Ops missions were by far the hardest.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Early on in the GDI campaign and some enemy vehicles have half health. I'm guessing this was in the original games and was a way to lower the difficulty a bit for the first few missions?

Yep. I distinctly remember early vehicles/bases etc starting at low health, there were even in game justifications for it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Does capture the flag mode still existing in TD? I remember fondly going to a computer lan place and having 8 players spawn in on a small map and when you killed their mobile command center, all their units died.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
RA is definitely my preferred C&C, no question. But C&C was my only for 3 years or whatever until I could get RA, and those years were a lot of fun. I even did some dial-up multiplayer with school friends. It was such a pain in the rear end and took forever to actually work, but when it did it was joyous as hell. Also I played the original c&c and Red Alert on a 486dx 66mhz. It was SLOOOOOOW but when that's all you've got, you learn to deal with it as a kid. I beat both GDI, NOD, most of the Covert Ops mission, and Red Alert + the expansions. :allears:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OneEightHundred posted:

The other big way to econ harass them is steal their silos, which gives you all of the money inside. Whether that's better than the refinery depends on the mission though, i.e. how protected the refinery is vs. the silos.

Just remember that if you sell the silo, you need to have enough silo capacity of your own to store the transferred Tiberium or it will go poof.

i still love how RA nerfed engineers, but also created thieves for this purpose.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hed posted:

Does the new RA come with upscaled themes?

It would be sweet to run Windows 10 with this pointer:

The original Window 95 RA installer, as was cool to do at the time, came with themes to change your desktop color scheme, some main icons, and cursor/pointers for selection, window management, and all. Make your computer startup sound like a Tesla coil! The original Allied wallpaper had my friends asking wtf they were doing to that girl.

I spent entirely too much time carving up the original archive to extract the cursor for this post so here are the original wallpapers for fun:

:aaa:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Katamari Democracy posted:

Something has been in my mind and I am wondering if I ever dreamed this or something. But I remember there being a very strange map in RA where rules are changed. V2 rockets now fire nukes, Mammoth Tanks also belch fire, etc. Units did very strange things and their prices were changed accordingly. I remember if you wanted to play it like this you have to play in a certain map. Mind you this was on the DOS / 95 version. Or maybe it was the PS1 version?

I dunno but Im having a hard time remembering what the map was called or if you can still play it in the Remake. Cause I remember it being brokenly funny. Any of you guys remember this?

yes that definitely existed on PC. it was called like gem garden or something.

e: actually there were more then one of them but yea, they were named (special).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

obese retard posted:

Old school game difficulty: Make things arbitrarily difficult by stacking the odds unfairly against the player to give the illusion of challenge.

When poo poo is stacked against you, that is literally the definition of a challenge :confused:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Arrrthritis posted:

If the enemy has extra silos that the money can go to, you don't get anything aside from the silo. If there's no where for the resources to go, you collect any resources the enemy cannot store (in addition to the silo).

in TD if you capture a silo you get the money in it, so when full its around 1500. in RA, you dont, but the allies get a thief unit take steals some portion of the money stored in it (only works on silos and its defined in rules.ini) and you can make a thief steal 400,000% of the money in a silo which will essentially give you unlimited funds.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

axeil posted:

The Chronosphere in general kinda sucks. You so rarely want to teleport anywhere because it doesn't give you any kind of advantage in the single player campaign. I'd much rather make some of my strike force invulnerable for a minute.

its only useful for teleporting a cruiser to a lake near the enemy base. and even then its situational. if it worked via group select it might be ok. so you could chronoshift a full group of units into the soviet base.

chrono tanks are a waste of money. but i wont hear anyone badmouth the nuclear trucks the RA expansion added.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
missile subs suck. they take the allies gimmick make it better and give it to the already dominate team.

idea! chrono shift should work on enemy units.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

obese retard posted:

It's probably necessary to remove Aftermath units from quickplay because most of the new units that were added in that expansion heavily favored the Soviets: M.A.D. Tanks, Missile Subs, Tesla Tanks and Shock Troopers. What did the Allies get? Field Mechanics and Chrono Tanks. :geno:

The only new unit that was shared among both factions were the Demo Trucks.

tbf, mechanics are actually really good. but yea, short end of the stick for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Surely its world domination right?