Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

I watched the films before reading the books because I was "too old" in 1997 to be reading a children's book and so when Moody was in the movies I thought 'that was weird; they must have cut most of his stuff from the books cause he seems important and has like a character design'. Later, I read the books with my wife and discovered that, nope, he's not important there either and is just some guy who shows up to wander around in a few scenes before being killed (off screen).

There’s a pretty solid bit in book 5 where he keeps catching Harry looking at him and it’s cause Harry is creeped out by the fact that he feels like he knows this dude super well when in fact he’s never actually met him. Then they don’t really have many more interactions and in book 7 when he dies Harry is still all “woe to us, for the stalwart defender who was always at our side is now gone!” and it’s like wtf are you talking about mate this guy has been around barely at all and never done anything remotely useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
moody is harry potter's ric flair

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Feldegast42 posted:

Pretty sure nobody competent would be around even if Moody wasn't iced though

The bar for competence is *extremely low* here. These are wizards, their average IQ is potato salad.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I forget, did they ever explain how Moody lost his eye?

I like to imagine he's intentionally vague about the story and everyone thinks it's a wound he got in battle with a Dark Wizard that he doesn't want to talk about, but in reality he just tripped while holding a fork wrong or something similarly embarrassing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

I like to imagine he's intentionally vague about the story and everyone thinks it's a wound he got in battle with a Dark Wizard that he doesn't want to talk about, but in reality he just tripped while holding a fork wrong or something similarly embarrassing.

they don't. the only bit he explains is his nose which some rando death eater took a chunk out of

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Asterite34 posted:

Wizard poop disappearing accident.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Teleported into traffic.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
tragic wand cleaning accident

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Plucked out his own eye because it caused him to sin and he took the teachings of his lord and savior Jesus Christ very seriously.

Then got a new eye that could look at people naked because the good book didn't mention anything about transhuman prosthetics.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's just the eye he was born with. He's very sensitive about it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
'mad eye' is actually his legal name, and thus like Remus Lupin becoming a were wolf, twas fate

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Aurors are like the Silverhawks. The Ministry forcibly replaces their organs with superior mechanical ones, leaving them with barely any humanity. Moody just got stuck with an old prototype eye that was never used again.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
And then Magic Goebbels turns it into the most evil of magiteks: an Amazon Ring doorbell

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lunar Suite posted:

And then Magic Goebbels turns it into the most evil of magiteks: an Amazon Ring doorbell

Which is interesting, as it either implies that Umbridge had a weirdly personal grudge against Moody to make his signature doodad into a personal trophy (and I dunno how much they even interacted, if ever) OR that it's such a rare artifact that you can't just go out and buy something that does the same thing and have to repurpose a dead guy's prosthetics in such a gristly way.

What, did he originally get it as a special favor from Odin or something?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Odin would probably count as a Dark Wizard

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Would Gandalf be a Dark Wizard

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

What? No, he's the Hogwarts Headmaster, that would be crazy

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Feldegast42 posted:

He came back from the dead... suspicious.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

YaketySass posted:

He came back from the dead... suspicious.
That just makes him the necromancee, which is fine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You can't just change from grey to white, that's against wizard biology!!!!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
yea, a wizard should know better

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cranappleberry posted:

yea, a wizard should know better

In Harry Potter World? gently caress no, they shouldn't

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

josh04 posted:

Around book 5 there's a clear decision that we have quite enough spells and potions now and the rest of the series can just mix and match them. Except zombies, gotta add some zombies.

The shift in how magic works is one of the weirdest things in the inconsistent world building of the setting. I guess maybe the problem was when she stopped drawing from children's lit where a lot of her more whimsical or supernatural ideas came from? The shift in book 4/5 is when you can tell she bought into the idea that she was writing the greatest modern fiction stories, so she needed to "adult up" the setting and 90% of fights became shooting magic bullets around. Because she's kind of dull, and wasn't referencing stories that used magic in an interesting ways, she couldn't contemplate the truly horrific potential magic opens up in a more "adult" setting. Or even one that's still approachable to all ages, but acknowledges the infinite ways magic could be used to hurt people, distort physical reality, and cause mass destruction in the wrong hands.

This is a long ramble to I guess arrive at the conclusion that anyone who loathes any aspect of how Harry Potter fails would love Witch Hat Atelier: https://w1.atelierwitch.com/ It's a manga that's clearly inspired by Harry Potter, but it seriously contemplates the implications of keeping the secret of magic hidden from the world, the innate cruelty of an insular society of shut-ins, accessibility issues, the serious harm magic has caused in the world in the past, competent adults who are also complete messes, queer characters, and also gorgeous art.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Harry Potter is stupid.

Harry Potter is stupid.

Give up.

Give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfrrgqy_Eo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Harry Potter is stupid.

Harry Potter is stupid.

Give up.

Give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfrrgqy_Eo

You keep posting like this as if 99% of this thread isn't already people dunking on how stupid Harry Potter is. You're preaching to the choir here bro, you don't have to blow our minds by telling us to read better books. We already did years ago. This is just something that everyone in the developed world under the age of 40 read at one point because it was a shared cultural phenomenon that we can look back on in hindsight and collectively go "man... this is actually kinda stupid, isn't it?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Asterite34 posted:

You keep posting like this as if 99% of this thread isn't already people dunking on how stupid Harry Potter is. You're preaching to the choir here bro, you don't have to blow our minds by telling us to read better books. We already did years ago. This is just something that everyone in the developed world under the age of 40 read at one point because it was a shared cultural phenomenon that we can look back on in hindsight and collectively go "man... this is actually kinda stupid, isn't it?"

I just like saying Harry Potter is stupid. I'm not loving judging you for reading it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I just like saying Harry Potter is stupid. I'm not loving judging you for reading it.

...you know what, fair enough. Glad we're on the same page

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

posting about how much harry potter sucks in the harry potter sucks thread?? good sir you have gone too far

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
harry potter is the greatest book series ever written and will one day surpass the bible in sales

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

The shift in how magic works is one of the weirdest things in the inconsistent world building of the setting. I guess maybe the problem was when she stopped drawing from children's lit where a lot of her more whimsical or supernatural ideas came from? The shift in book 4/5 is when you can tell she bought into the idea that she was writing the greatest modern fiction stories, so she needed to "adult up" the setting and 90% of fights became shooting magic bullets around. Because she's kind of dull, and wasn't referencing stories that used magic in an interesting ways, she couldn't contemplate the truly horrific potential magic opens up in a more "adult" setting. Or even one that's still approachable to all ages, but acknowledges the infinite ways magic could be used to hurt people, distort physical reality, and cause mass destruction in the wrong hands.

This is a long ramble to I guess arrive at the conclusion that anyone who loathes any aspect of how Harry Potter fails would love Witch Hat Atelier: https://w1.atelierwitch.com/ It's a manga that's clearly inspired by Harry Potter, but it seriously contemplates the implications of keeping the secret of magic hidden from the world, the innate cruelty of an insular society of shut-ins, accessibility issues, the serious harm magic has caused in the world in the past, competent adults who are also complete messes, queer characters, and also gorgeous art.

It really says a lot that the last time there was any hint of creativity in a wizard fight was in book 5 where Dumbledore was transfiguring things around him, using elemental magic and making The Racism Statues come to life. Rowling only ever puts in effort when it comes to her pet character.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hermione barely thinks outside the box in terms of practical magic and is considered the brightest wizard of her age by far.

If it wasn’t spelled out in text you can’t just magically create food id just assume no wizard ever thought of it yet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bobjr posted:

Hermione barely thinks outside the box in terms of practical magic and is considered the brightest wizard of her age by far.

If it wasn’t spelled out in text you can’t just magically create food id just assume no wizard ever thought of it yet.

"If we just magically created food out of nowhere then what would our legions of enslaved elves do all day?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"If we just magically created food out of nowhere then what would our legions of enslaved elves do all day?"

Fix the plumbing they constantly clog with their horrific wizard dumps?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

No that's what the Basilisk was for

Why do you think it wanted to kill everyone so much?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fix? Then they wouldn't have anything left to do, and you know how they are, they just love to work, can't do without it. Next thing you'll suggest freeing them, how silly would that be!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
all zis English food eez too heavy. I am taking le dumps énorme

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Dear Parent and/or Guardian,

Due to Level 5 diarrhea flood, all toilets at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are currently out of order and we are temporarily housing Slytherin students in the Great Hall.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You can't just magic up food. But you can multiply it which would I guess be just as good? Or summon it directly from the shop without paying.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Speleothing posted:

You can't just magic up food. But you can multiply it which would I guess be just as good? Or summon it directly from the shop without paying.

How much can you multiply it? Can you turn a stray crumb into a whole loaf of bread? Can you homeopathy this poo poo and use the logic that "well there must be at least one molecule of food here somewhere?"

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Shiterin, Griffinturd, Hufflepoop, Ravencrap