Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

How much can you multiply it? Can you turn a stray crumb into a whole loaf of bread? Can you homeopathy this poo poo and use the logic that "well there must be at least one molecule of food here somewhere?"

In the books (I know I know) it’s mentioned that the more you multiply food, the less nutritive value it has. It tastes the same, but you don’t get anything out of it beyond the sensation in your mouth.

Edit: see correction below, because my memory is apparently quite bad.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I never understood how they never had enough food during the endless camping trip in the last book. Like, you can turn invisible and teleport and you have a Bag of Holding, surely you can just steal all you want from grocery stores and stuff?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grundulum posted:

In the books (I know I know) it’s mentioned that the more you multiply food, the less nutritive value it has. It tastes the same, but you don’t get anything out of it beyond the sensation in your mouth.

Does that mean I could multiply some delicious pork ribs 500 times, gorge myself on them and barely gain any weight?

Sign me up to this magic poo poo

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I never understood how they never had enough food during the endless camping trip in the last book. Like, you can turn invisible and teleport and you have a Bag of Holding, surely you can just steal all you want from grocery stores and stuff?

given the average wizard, let alone the average purebloods, ignorance of the non-wizarding world, they probably could have rented a hotel room for the whole quest.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just remembered that in the last book, Voldemort cast a spell on his own moniker so that the Ministry and/or his minions gets alerted any time someone says it. It truly is the equivalent of Rowling egosurfing her own name on Twitter to see if anyone is mocking her lmao.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Grundulum posted:

It doesn't actually say that, and specifically points out that you can multiply what you do have.

Problem is they didn't have anything good tasting. By context Ron was complaining about taste not starvation. Hermione's response wasn't just about the magic, she also said he can cook it if hers tastes so bad.

So I think the idea is you can magic up a pig, but not bacon. You have to butcher and cook it yourself, though you can use magic to help. Then once you have some, you have infinite

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/judeinlondon/status/1777685128677892252

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

amigolupus posted:

Just remembered that in the last book, Voldemort cast a spell on his own moniker so that the Ministry and/or his minions gets alerted any time someone says it. It truly is the equivalent of Rowling egosurfing her own name on Twitter to see if anyone is mocking her lmao.

I thought he always could and that's why everyone was so cautious about saying his name? Or is that more poorly-explained asspulls?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Runcible Cat posted:

I thought he always could and that's why everyone was so cautious about saying his name? Or is that more poorly-explained asspulls?

When Voldemort and co take over the ministry they modify the thing that detects the use of magic by kids to find people who use his name.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Runcible Cat posted:

I thought this was the case too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
V*ldm*rt

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Runcible Cat posted:

There's no indication that he did anything similar in the previous war. He was only able to do it the second time because he took over the ministry, which he hadn't done before. And the only reason he did it was that everyone was already scared of saying his name, so only his strongest enemies ever said it, making it useful for finding them.

So why was everyone afraid of saying his name in the first place? No idea. Never explained.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Runcible Cat posted:

Nope, it was something added in book 7. Wizards being so afraid of a guy that they cringe and shudder when they say his name, despite there being no consequence for doing so, fits better back when the series used to be a whimsical children's series. Especially when the epithet they came up with for him was something as silly as You-Know-Who. It doesn't really work with the reveal of Voldemort hating his Muggle name so much that he turned it into a tortured anagram to fashion himself a new name. You'd think people refusing to spread the name Voldemort around would hurt your branding.

Doctor Spaceman already mentioned the explanation book 7 gave as to how Voldemort's people can track down others. Execution-wise, you can tell it was something added as an excuse for Rowling to force the plot to move a certain way. Harry and the others got tracked in a Muggle cafe in London, so now they totally can't hang around in a comfortable hotel at all. Harry and Hermione got ambushed by Nagini when they visited the Potter's old home, yet they still didn't wonder what could have tipped Voldemort off they were in the area. And when Ron came back and warned them not to say the name, Harry had to slip up like an idiot just so they can finally finish the camping segment and move the plot to the Malfoy Manor instead.

Either way, the idea that Voldemort thinking that only the people who are against him would ever say his name only sort of makes sense with what happens in book 7. It fails to consider that the people who hate his guts would have already come up with ruder names to call him by, especially teenagers. But when viewed in the lens of Rowling becoming Completely Online and scouring social media posts for people being mean to her? It suddenly makes a hilarious amount of sense.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Narrator: "It was her."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Her books where people specifically can magically change gender

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mx. posted:

Her books where people specifically can magically change gender

Again, I don't think that's the own some people think it is because the way that ability is used in the books is precisely the way that transphobes claim transpeople are using it IRL: as artifice to enable a deception.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

that's some bad writing, that is

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Again, I don't think that's the own some people think it is because the way that ability is used in the books is precisely the way that transphobes claim transpeople are using it IRL: as artifice to enable a deception.

That, and because she and the transphobes believe the "true" gender is intrinsically tied to the genitalia they were born with. So yeah when Harry polyjuices into a woman he is still a "he", and that when someone transitions they are still the gender that "matches" the genitalia they were born with. It sucks.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The shift in how magic works is one of the weirdest things in the inconsistent world building of the setting. I guess maybe the problem was when she stopped drawing from children's lit where a lot of her more whimsical or supernatural ideas came from? The shift in book 4/5 is when you can tell she bought into the idea that she was writing the greatest modern fiction stories, so she needed to "adult up" the setting and 90% of fights became shooting magic bullets around. Because she's kind of dull, and wasn't referencing stories that used magic in an interesting ways, she couldn't contemplate the truly horrific potential magic opens up in a more "adult" setting. Or even one that's still approachable to all ages, but acknowledges the infinite ways magic could be used to hurt people, distort physical reality, and cause mass destruction in the wrong hands.

This is a long ramble to I guess arrive at the conclusion that anyone who loathes any aspect of how Harry Potter fails would love Witch Hat Atelier: https://w1.atelierwitch.com/ It's a manga that's clearly inspired by Harry Potter, but it seriously contemplates the implications of keeping the secret of magic hidden from the world, the innate cruelty of an insular society of shut-ins, accessibility issues, the serious harm magic has caused in the world in the past, competent adults who are also complete messes, queer characters, and also gorgeous art.

This is great, and thanks for linking it, but for the love of god don't try reading it on that site, go for Mangadex instead.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nettle Soup posted:

This is great, and thanks for linking it, but for the love of god don't try reading it on that site, go for Mangadex instead.

Fair enough, I was trying to link a source that had the most recent chapters because Mangadex stopped updating theirs after there was an official online translation. Uh... I guess when you hit the brick wall of the updates stopping right at the high point of a crisis support the official platform...

https://kmanga.kodansha.com/title/10065/episode/313463

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That makes sense! I don't mind pirating manga, but the fact it was using pages watermarked from a different site, it nagged me to donate all the time and it eventually locked me out behind some javascript bullshit "click here to continue (donate to us!)" annoyed me.

I'm enjoying it a lot!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

uhh please try and keep your discussion of manga piracy more plausibly deniable :negative:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I'm going to accio manga from a store and then copy it with the copying spell

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

I'm going to accio manga from a store and then copy it with the copying spell

I'm going to Obliviate all memory of these books from our minds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda think Dan and Emma are fine with this.

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1778448987626021341?t=ONVt40NrNhF2T-zA__Vuqw&s=19

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Imagine refusing to forgive someone for having the audacity to be decent human beings who treat a marginalized group with dignity and respect instead of bullying them and punching down.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Women fought for decades for the right to deny HRT access to trans people, and now this hard-won woman's right is being eroded

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh no, they might suddenly lose out on absolutely nothing because of this!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

on magical tiktok they're taliing about Nonose and his Unalive Nommers

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She is actually actively helping their careers, probably without realizing it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They'll be kicking themselves when they don't get cast in the Cursed Child movie in 2030.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

stev posted:

They'll be kicking themselves when they don't get cast in the Cursed Child movie in 2030.

Emma Watson isn't black though?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PriorMarcus posted:

Emma Watson isn't black though?

the right makeup will fix that! Pass the boot polish!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Golli Muto!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Calceus Polonica

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Jolsonify!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even before this I don’t think Daniel Radcliffe was coming back, no matter how many truckfulls of money you’d bring to his door.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
he's stuck on a bus. The same bus Tom Felton has been living on for 3 months.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Dolezalo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ravenfood posted:

That, and because she and the transphobes believe the "true" gender is intrinsically tied to the genitalia they were born with. So yeah when Harry polyjuices into a woman he is still a "he", and that when someone transitions they are still the gender that "matches" the genitalia they were born with. It sucks.

As long as it's convenient. They're currently big on calling women dudes despite being assigned female at birth because they have medical conditions that generate more testosterone than average, and cheering international track orgs' decision to ban them.