Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

anime was right posted:

One Piece Manga Thread: "DON" of the Final Saga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao what the gently caress happened in here the last couple days just having a normal one, throwing an Adult Tantrum and trashing my own poo poo like a republican dumpstering their nikes in protest this one

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
actually luffy did the same thing when he destroyed nami’s navigation room in arlong park

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think a lot of people misread that scene. On first glance it looks like he destroyed that room because of Arlong forcing Nami to work in there, but really he did it because he hates maps.

Nothing is more boring for an adventure than an accurate map.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Bedlam posted:

Having the character who's main motivation has been leaving the island, with one of his plot threads being shackles that keep him on the island (that luffy removes), suddenly be like "naah actually I'll stay on the island" is really weird to me and doesn't seem like it was originally intended.

yamato isn't staying on onigashima though

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

just having a normal one, throwing an Adult Tantrum and trashing my own poo poo like a republican dumpstering their nikes in protest

That's a clip from a longer video of the guy which is insufferable. Two minutes of fake laughing, then a bunch of "ya'll didn't listen when I said One Piece sucks and is going to continue to suck", leading up to that. Gotta get those hate clicks I guess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

That's a clip from a longer video of the guy which is insufferable. Two minutes of fake laughing, then a bunch of "ya'll didn't listen when I said One Piece sucks and is going to continue to suck", leading up to that. Gotta get those hate clicks I guess.

From that description it might be exactly the minimum length needed to monetize it

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Oda really pulled Wanover on us.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Guys, Yamato is NEVER joining the Straw Hats

He's joining the Cross Guild under the strongest Emperor and Future Pirate King, Buggy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

He's joining the Cross Guild under the strongest Emperor and Future Pirate King, Buggy

:shittypop:

:bignews:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no matter what happens with yamato the jerking around with jimbei was 10x worse, its just that people didnt care about jimbei as much

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Waffleman_ posted:

Do not post Small Yamato

Can I steal this to be my new avatar.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Wano just might be my favorite arc.

Waffleman_ posted:

Do not post Small Yamato

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Oh no, we didn't get another character crammed into an already bloated cast

the horror

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

no matter what happens with yamato the jerking around with jimbei was 10x worse, its just that people didnt care about jimbei as much

I did........

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

I think bc of how bad that was, it hits more bc the only copium is something similar happening.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Scholtz posted:

I think a lot of people misread that scene. On first glance it looks like he destroyed that room because of Arlong forcing Nami to work in there, but really he did it because he hates maps.

Nothing is more boring for an adventure than an accurate map.
Lets wait for the official translation of this video before jumping to conclusions about why this guy trashed his anime wall scrolls

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What if yamato joins the fake strawhats by accident

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

People predict Carrot will stowaway on the straw-hats ship, but it will actually be caribou, and we get the panel of him in the barrel with Franky staring at him recreated, but maybe with Jinbe instead.

Alternately, he tries to sneak on Kid's ship instead and we get the same panel but with Killer instead

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

Introducing the newest members of the Cross Guild, Yamato, Katakuri, Uta and Weevil!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The people demand more Weevil

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The last few pages of this thread were definitely born to burn.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1057/chapter/25107?action=read

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

at long last... the bitter struggle of the last pages of this thread... is over...

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I feel much more at ease now. Even in 2022, we must be vigilant of fanscan fuckery…

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Do not post Small Yamato

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

I can definitely appreciate this chapter more now with a proper translation and some time to mull over the Yamato stuff. I'm still not really jazzed about how that bait-and-switch went down but there's lots of moments I do like here - Luffy giving Momo the flag, all the shots showcasing Momo's growth since he first met the Straw Hats, Kid goading everyone into doing the jump off the waterfall. "(That) Korozumi was born to burn" was pretty badass in actual context.

I don't really want to get into fanfic territory here but Marco's still on Wano I guess? That might be a way to get Yamato off of Wano whenever he's done exploring the country and/or beating Momo into shape since Oden did get his actual start with the Whitebeard pirates.

In any case fuckin hell, Wano is over. I've gone through graduating college, getting a new job, 2 presidents and a global pandemic since this arc started. Lets hope the next 4-5 years aren't as nuts as these ones were!

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 21, 2022

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
That part a few chapters ago, where Luffy and a few others were sitting on a hill overlooking the fight between Momo and Green Bull, was badass.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I can definitely appreciate this chapter more now with a proper translation and some time to mull over the Yamato stuff. I'm still not really jazzed about how that bait-and-switch went down but there's lots of moments I do like here - Luffy giving Momo the flag, all the shots showcasing Momo's growth since he first met the Straw Hats, Kid goading everyone into doing the jump off the waterfall. "(That) Korozumi was born to burn" was pretty badass in actual context.

I don't really want to get into fanfic territory here but Marco's still on Wano I guess? That might be a way to get Yamato off of Wano whenever he's done exploring the country and/or beating Momo into shape since Oden did get his actual start with the Whitebeard pirates.

In any case fuckin hell, Wano is over. I've gone through graduating college, getting a new job, 2 presidents and a global pandemic since this arc started. Lets hope the next 4-5 years aren't as nuts as these ones were!

Yeah, the story leading up to and including Wano has been going on for exactly 10 years now

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
chapter still kinda bad and idk how the fan translation was any different from this one honestly

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ryaomon posted:

chapter still kinda bad and idk how the fan translation was any different from this one honestly

Only difference was the official made it much more obvious that the line from hiyori was about orichi kurozumi, not the kurozumi clan as a whole.

Still a wet fart of a final chapter though.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ryaomon posted:

”THE Kurozumi WERE born to burn”, plural, implying a nazi genocide against an entire group of people, vs ”(This) Kurozumi WAS born to burn”, singular, describing a sentence for an individual (who drat well deserves it).

EDIT: And also a lot of nuances differ in the pages just before, making it much more clear that it’s directed specifically at Kurozumi Orochi, and that it’s a Kurozumi=Charcoal pun.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 21, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ryaomon posted:

It's subtle but "The Kurozumi" vs. "Kurozumi" is a better change. Both can be read as "gently caress this family in particular", but the later and actual translation does come across more as talking about this one guy vs. the clan.

efb, dang.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Chapter good, turns out

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Vonnie posted:

Oda really pulled Wanover on us.

Holy poo poo new thread title please :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

orochi's plot kind of sucks even with that change honestly, not really in a moral panic sense just theres no twist to it but also he doesnt do anything cool-evil. hes just an evil guy from an evil family. his backstory is sympathetic but the series never really does anything with it. like compare him to big mom, who gets a somewhat sympathetic backstory and has that tie into her actual motivations and goals that are also somewhat sympathetic. even loving moriah has more going on than orochi. or kaido honestly, but at least kaido is a cool dragon. orochi's sympathetic backstory is used as reasoning for him being so cruel, but its functionally indistinguishable from if he was just cruel because he was an evil guy. nobody is ever really held accountable or taken to task for wano kind of creating their own problem with him, and then they get a play assuring them he was bad, dont worry about it. so none of it actually impacts the plot.

i get why they couldnt give him cool fights or anything since hes also a big dragon man so itd be redundant with kaido but in that case why not make him sympathetic. you could have all the smile fruit torture stuff be done by queen or whoever and have him going along with it out of fear of retaliation and then have him sacrifice himself to help the group during the raid or something. i dont know what he adds to the story other than oda reminding the audience how much he loves noble monarchies. which, whatever, anyone who thinks one piece's politics are somehow radical and progressive is a moron, but he could at least remind the audience of that in a more interesting way.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Endorph posted:

orochi's plot kind of sucks even with that change honestly, not really in a moral panic sense just theres no twist to it but also he doesnt do anything cool-evil. hes just an evil guy from an evil family. his backstory is sympathetic but the series never really does anything with it.
I like this about him actually. It works because almost all OP villains are sympathetic, so it’s a big difference to finally meet someone, one single villain, who is nothing more than a murderous piece of poo poo with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I would’t calm his family evil - iirc there was a war between multiple families so they were acting based on their circumstance - but Orochi had millions of outs to choose a different path and just didn’t.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure but then why give him all the backstory

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Orochi should have died when Kaido decapitated him 5 years ago or whatever. Good fate for a bad villain, cool moment for a pretty dece villain.

Edit: woulda elevated the theme of isolationism = bad too. That even on the villain side, their ignorance of the goings on outside of wano has landed them in DEEP poo poo.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Endorph posted:

sure but then why give him all the backstory
To explain his existence and explain his goals.