Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know why i thought otherwise (i guess it never came up), but SD towers count as structures for the sake of Hazel's weapon, and they become really really silly when you stack a bunch of shield and spellpower on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
SD towers are great. I would take that card in basically any deck, not just with Hazel.

Actually there's a surprising number of nonbos in this game in my experience. Fire doesn't synergize with fire because one tile can only be so on fire, although it's strong enough that this generally doesn't matter. Poison doesn't synergize with poison because new poison delays the damage of existing poison. Having a lot of structures means it's tough to find places to put them. There are synergy cards but I haven't been impressed by most of them yet. The trinity deck is real, though.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Fire is incredibly good, especially with artifacts. The mana regen on fire damage is pretty good, there's a lot of fire spells that torch large parts of the map and there's also the artifacts that give shield or lower defense on hit. Even better is it scales with spell power so if you get an early merit badge you could easily have it going for 20 a shot which is damage that you do while dodging or getting a better position on things. Neutral endings should definitely have fire in their decks unless you're like shiso or doing a minimalist time deck or something.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'd argue that fire synergizes with fire because the more tiles that are on fire, the higher chance your enemies are on fire too.

Plus the fire payoff spells (ignite, rage) are both very powerful and incentivize as much fire on the ground as possible.

Admittedly poison is weird with the reset, but even then I feel like stacking poison to high heavens is generally better than...not doing that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

poison does synergize with poison, you just need to eventually stop for like 5 seconds and wait for everything to blow up

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Managed to get a genocide kill with Chrono Saffron, and judicious to excessive use of shield cards and her time slow. Can't say I earned the kill but the boss died nonetheless. Not sure I'm even close to doing it with any other character though. That time slow weapon is so good.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I regret to inform the One Step From Eden thread that there is no reward for beating Shopkeeper five times in a single run.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
But did you try beating dark world shopkeeper five times?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm doing impressive amounts of choking trying for Terra neutral wins. Doesn't matter what I try to focus or how much the game tries to hand me a run, I'm throwing it away in world 5 or 6 today.

I also forgot about the Violette crash on Switch earlier during another solid Hazel run. That was sad because I had some good structures, including doublecast SD Tower and cheaper Castle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Terra's alternate kit is nuts. I got the ascetic (no artifacts) achievement with it because she starts with Citrine and thats all you need vs the wall.

Has anyone gotten the 9,999 shield achievement? Is there anything to it besides moving 10 thousand times with Reva? The only other thing I could think of is +10 shield on viruspell but I don't think viruspell is able to get shields on it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Use shield gen, the stationary shield generator card from hexawan. Please don’t move 10000 times as Reva.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Couldn't blood shield also work, considering the poison stack resets every time you get a new one?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

nrook posted:

Use shield gen, the stationary shield generator card from hexawan. Please don’t move 10000 times as Reva.

I did it with Violette because I'm dumb.

Anyway, I'm trying to grind out floor 1 Shopkeeper fights with Default Saffron right now. I've gotten to where I can reliably get her under 1000, but I invariably lose when she breaks out the cage of exploding crystals. Does anyone have any tips for the starting position/timing for the dodging on that one?

Edit: Killed the Shopkeeper twice on floor 1 (back to back runs, actually) and then threw the runs away with some bad card/artifact decisions. I almost dodged the exploding crystals thing once, though, so that's cool.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 12, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I kinda figured the crystals were an enrage. I managed to kill her twice while the crystals were setting up today, but they were both pretty sloppy kills. I was using default Selicy and could dodge an explosion or two, but at floor 1 I was out of mana before long and they'd burn me down. I guess I big knockback could push the front two out of the way and make a safe zone? You'd need to remove an entire column though to have enough room.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

They're definitely dodgeable by moving in a square pattern as they explode around the outside, but I haven't been able to get the rhythm for it yet.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

No Wave posted:

Has anyone gotten the 9,999 shield achievement? Is there anything to it besides moving 10 thousand times with Reva? The only other thing I could think of is +10 shield on viruspell but I don't think viruspell is able to get shields on it.

I got it after I got the "consuming a spell gives you 20 shield" artifact on kunai shiso
I then took a -30 spellpower pact because I forgot they'd reduced kunais to 30, and got into a fight with an enemy that regenerated 3 shield every time I cast a spell, and an enemy that had a shield that just regenerated over time

it took me like 40 minutes and also I discovered that if a fight goes for that long the game starts to run like poo poo, presumably because it has to keep track of every spell you've cast in it for certain cases

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I did it with Violette because I'm dumb.

Anyway, I'm trying to grind out floor 1 Shopkeeper fights with Default Saffron right now. I've gotten to where I can reliably get her under 1000, but I invariably lose when she breaks out the cage of exploding crystals. Does anyone have any tips for the starting position/timing for the dodging on that one?

Edit: Killed the Shopkeeper twice on floor 1 (back to back runs, actually) and then threw the runs away with some bad card/artifact decisions. I almost dodged the exploding crystals thing once, though, so that's cool.

As Shadow Ninja 64 mentioned, it is possible to dodge the exploding crystals by rotating in a circle. If you look carefully, they explode in a circle. I believe they always explode counter-clockwise, so you have to follow the explosions around in a counter-clockwise direction. You can tell which one is going to explode first by looking at the small "delayed effect" circle icons on the ice crystals.

I actually don't think the ice crystal attack is any harder to dodge than Shopkeeper's other attacks. But it's still much nastier because you'll just die immediately if you get it wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

I got it after I got the "consuming a spell gives you 20 shield" artifact on kunai shiso
I then took a -30 spellpower pact because I forgot they'd reduced kunais to 30, and got into a fight with an enemy that regenerated 3 shield every time I cast a spell, and an enemy that had a shield that just regenerated over time

it took me like 40 minutes and also I discovered that if a fight goes for that long the game starts to run like poo poo, presumably because it has to keep track of every spell you've cast in it for certain cases
Ty.

You are also using the only skin I have not unlocked yet. I don't have a good approach for the 1 life challenge beyond actually getting good at hell mode 14 or lucking into a transcendence - are those the only 2 consistent ways to do it?

EDIT: Found a transcendence and got it, guess shopkeeper can find a lot with high enough luck and enough rerolls.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 12, 2020

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dammit, I got to the last boss on my True Genocide run and died with her at 1400 health.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

No Wave posted:

I don't have a good approach for the 1 life challenge beyond actually getting good at hell mode 14 or lucking into a transcendence - are those the only 2 consistent ways to do it?

You can also just play Shopkeeper. She'll still start with 1 hp, but her gimmick of "max hp equals current money" is intact so you'll be able to get some health relatively quickly. You can also just luck into a Soul Food or a Rescue Badge, both of which give you max hp when you find hostages(fun fact, if you have both you can kill the hostage after they do their "thank you" animation and you'll get both benefits, also works with merit badge and blood money). And Max HP pacts still show up in stores and work as normal, as do Max HP +5 spells.

Basically, it's a rough start for everyone but there's still plenty of ways to build up your max hp.

edit: oh, I misunderstood what you meant. That challenge actually happened to me completely accidentally. I was playing as Fire Terra and got owned while standing in front of a patch of fire and when the boss jumped over to finish me they stood in it and killed themselves.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 12, 2020

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

No Wave posted:

Ty.

You are also using the only skin I have not unlocked yet. I don't have a good approach for the 1 life challenge beyond actually getting good at hell mode 14 or lucking into a transcendence - are those the only 2 consistent ways to do it?

The easiest way is to spare Reva first, then on the next boss get them one shot away, get killed and saved by Reva, then immediately move so you don't pick up the heal she drops and finish the boss.

Poison also works and can kill them while they're executing you at one up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

nrook posted:

As Shadow Ninja 64 mentioned, it is possible to dodge the exploding crystals by rotating in a circle. If you look carefully, they explode in a circle. I believe they always explode counter-clockwise, so you have to follow the explosions around in a counter-clockwise direction. You can tell which one is going to explode first by looking at the small "delayed effect" circle icons on the ice crystals.

I actually don't think the ice crystal attack is any harder to dodge than Shopkeeper's other attacks. But it's still much nastier because you'll just die immediately if you get it wrong.

The direction you have to dodge is dependent on how the crystals spawn. She can spawn them either way, clockwise or counter. It's one of the easiest attacks of hers to see the method for dodging, but getting the timing and rhythm for it has eluded me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hackan Slash posted:

The easiest way is to spare Reva first, then on the next boss get them one shot away, get killed and saved by Reva, then immediately move so you don't pick up the heal she drops and finish the boss.

Poison also works and can kill them while they're executing you at one up.
Ok, that's the best approach. I ended up doing it with transcendence but yours is better/more consistent.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I got tired of doing normal runs to try and beat Neutral with Terra, so instead I focused Doublelift until I could pull off the Switchbait/Mine dream. I got +40 damage but -10 on hit, then 2x damage and consume on Mine, then got doublecast on Switchbait. I still almost died to the gate, but I managed to outrace it, and I still had Reva in the back anyway. I kept trying to fish for the any of the "...on shuffle" artifacts but found none of them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I finally learned what luck actually does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79xzm5kuQpw

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I did it, I completed a True Genocide run with Default Saffron while taking out the Shopkeeper first floor. I finally managed to dodge the Shopkeeper's exploding crystal attack a few times, but this run I happened to get Soul Link in my first card choice instead, so I got to easymode the fight for once. I ended up with a janky deck half full of "consume to heal and gain 5 max hp" cards and a lot of multi hit stuff, plus the usual flame spam.

Now I just have Terra's alt costume to unlock and I'll have all that stuff unlocked and can start suffering through Hell Modes.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I also just finished a TG run, but it was with kunai shiso and lucked into an early meat shield and consume card artifacts. Once I picked up a scavenge on the second loop nothing could stop me except Nintendo thumb.

I wish there was a way to figure out what stacks and what doesn't, artifact wise. Grabbing two meatshields gave me 40 shield per kunai, but I'm unsure if two laser pointers gave me two shots at the proc.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Got my first True Genocide win, using Snow Selicy. Game dumped a bunch of mana regen and Duel Disk on me early on, so I just decided to roll with it and murder everything by emptying my deck in two seconds flat. Shopkeeper didn't even get a chance to use her crystal attack because I dropped every one of my attacks on her during her phase transition attack.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hackan Slash posted:

Once I picked up a scavenge on the second loop nothing could stop me except Nintendo thumb.
I wish you could just hold the spell buttons down and autofire as fast as you have mana. That's my #1 QoL change I'd like to see.

edit: lol at "killing the bunny" giving +1 luck, that's funny because rabbit's foot

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 15, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How does Soul Link trivialize the shopkeep fight?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

How does Soul Link trivialize the shopkeep fight?

Damage done to structures counts as damage done to enemies for the sake of Soul Link, so if you Link the shopkeep before she detonates her ice towers (which all explode and cleave into each other) she just takes a bajillion damage and dies instantly.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Damage done to structures counts as damage done to enemies for the sake of Soul Link, so if you Link the shopkeep before she detonates her ice towers (which all explode and cleave into each other) she just takes a bajillion damage and dies instantly.

What’s funny is that I’m pretty sure Reva B would have the easiest time with the fight even if soul link were replaced with, like, diag beam or something.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic045iTIT1s

blue bullets is pretty good

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

To be fair what's good here is having +30 spellpower. Blue bullets just gets a lot of hits per cast.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Hey can anyone give me some tips for a Saffron genocide run? Trying to unlock her third loadout, should I just play safe with chrono or something?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
So I heard this doesn't work well on switch? A real bummer, because I'm really looking forward to it. I have a controller for my pc, I assume that's the way most of y'all are playing?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It's more that it's buggy than that it's fundamentally not capable of running on the system. The problems I've seen on the Switch were on PC too, but were patched out fairly quickly. As such, I imagine the game will get much more stable and will perform better when the new patch is out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's definitely good enough on Switch that I've been enjoying it, just with the occasional very frustrating crash.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Hey can anyone give me some tips for a Saffron genocide run? Trying to unlock her third loadout, should I just play safe with chrono or something?

This is admittedly not super great advice, but the way I tackled it was to play Default and fight the Shopkeeper on the first floor enough to get good at dodging most of her attacks. There were a couple threads on Reddit that helped me with this, along with a couple dozen or more quick runs of practice:

Descriptions of her attacks and how to avoid them: https://www.reddit.com/r/onestepfromeden/comments/fu1bgq/how_to_defeat_the_shopkeeper/
A visual reference of Chrono Saffron flawlessly winning the fight (I still prefer Default though):
https://www.reddit.com/r/onestepfromeden/comments/fv7c2q/flawless_shopkeeper_fight_wo_any_artifacts_only/

Any run that made it past her, I just focused on putting together the strongest deck I could, Focusing on whatever brand(s) worked with any particularly strong artifacts I grabbed early.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's definitely good enough on Switch that I've been enjoying it, just with the occasional very frustrating crash.

The main crash causer is against Violette, where the game will crash if her shield-generating music notes try to move onto a structure or hole on the side of your field. You can avoid it but it sucks. The other performance issue seems to be some kind of memory leak, so whenever the game starts performing badly, I save and quit my run, close the game out and reopen. It works fine after that for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This game has had several good patches since release. But I think switch players are still stuck with version 1.0.