Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The main crash causer is against Violette, where the game will crash if her shield-generating music notes try to move onto a structure or hole on the side of your field. You can avoid it but it sucks. The other performance issue seems to be some kind of memory leak, so whenever the game starts performing badly, I save and quit my run, close the game out and reopen. It works fine after that for awhile.

I swear using root versus Terra also tends to cause the game to crash, which is a bit upsetting because I like wreath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm pretty sure I've rooted Terra just fine with various spells, although I doubt I've ever tried with Wreath specifically.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man, the music in this is fantastic.

Just a recommendation to give it a listen for anyone who might stumble onto this thread without having played it. :v:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm glad there's a thread, I've been enjoying it!

I finally killed the shopkeeper this morning with a cheesy link strat, so I'm hoping that I can do a true genocide run this one. Sadly, a couple battles after that I started getting good cards to make a Kunai deck work and I wish she was alive so I could get more removals :v:

Funny enough I like Selicy the most - I feel like there's enough frost synergy cards/artifacts and I like her style of play. I already liked frost even before it was buffed!

Random Q: Is there someone with a natural build that lends itself to poison? I feel like poison is a build I want to try, but I never feel like I get enough early artifact/card synergy to justify leaning into it heavily.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 20, 2020

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Dragongem posted:

Random Q: Is there someone with a natural build that lends itself to poison? I feel like poison is a build I want to try, but I never feel like I get enough early artifact/card synergy to justify leaning into it heavily.

Violette's alt loadout is geared toward poison builds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hazel's default build is really good for spells that just target the other half of the field or don't require shooting a projectile (since her ideal play pattern is building a few things and powering them up with armor and damage), so if you can get some of the poison powers that work like that it does quite well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

When you're choosing your gamemode, what do the triangles before each one mean and what makes them fill up?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
They're completion marks for each of the three endings.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Patch is live on Switch!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This looks fun and I love mmbn, the speed in the trailers makes it look pretty chaotic. Is it manageable or is it a hyperspeed mmbn?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

ilmucche posted:

This looks fun and I love mmbn, the speed in the trailers makes it look pretty chaotic. Is it manageable or is it a hyperspeed mmbn?

There's a very weird divide where initially the game is clusterfuck of hazards and enemies you die a lot. At some point you learn what each enemy does and each boss's pattern and then you mostly only for from stupid mistakes.

It's still very fast and chaotic but at some point it all clicks. Also on switch I notice a lot of slowdown as I get further into a run so that certainly makes it easier!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, it was super chaotic and insurmountable when I started, but everything started clicking into place, attack patterns started making sense, and bosses that were 100% bullshit turned into pretty routine strategies.

There are still a ton of things I can't do, or can't do reliably, but there are definite stages of progression when my practice and skill reach points.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Basically think of OSFE as an action game which doles out abilities semi-randomly, rather than as an rpg

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ilmucche posted:

The difficulty curve is basically a plateau. Even after the difficulty reducing patch, you should still expect to die to every new boss or boss variant the first time you meet them. But after enough time you will hit the point where you are actually thinking about your abilities and dodging most attack patterns instead of furiously mashing A/B and hoping for the best.

That said, furiously mashing A/B with a bunch of AoE attacks works very well against multi-part bosses and bosses that summon adds.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I found the demo advertised on the kickstarter and it's very fast. Seems like there would be a point where you can recognise the symbols on your cards to know what they do, but without knowing that it's a bit of a crapshoot since there's so much to keep track of in the actual battles.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

ilmucche posted:

I found the demo advertised on the kickstarter and it's very fast. Seems like there would be a point where you can recognise the symbols on your cards to know what they do, but without knowing that it's a bit of a crapshoot since there's so much to keep track of in the actual battles.

I found the demo VERY hard. The real game leans you into a it a little more gently. I believe the recent patch also made the first two worlds less chaotic. That said, once you get near the end and you get the tier 4 monsters and bosses, well I've lost 75% of my hp in a single battle because holy poo poo so much happens at once. I mean it didn't help I was playing Hazel's alt build which revolves around summoning and destroying obstacles, which takes some time to ramp up so I couldn't pick an enemy off quickly to ease the pressure.

If the game looks fun, get it, because it is. Once you master the basics there's an awesome amount of replayability with the different characters. They all play VERY differently from each other and there are tons of fun gimmicks and combos.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I updated the OP to use less scary language when describing the Switch version. The Violette crash bug is gone so it seems like it's playable now. There's a bug with Reva's boss fight and Shield Catch that seems unfortunate but not nearly as bad as a crash.

I'm working on a balance mod for spells in the game, to try to bring some of the weaker spells into usability. (I'm going to weaken a few of the strongest ones, while I'm at it, but I'm not too concerned about that.) I've only done Anima so far; I'll post the rest as I get to them if people are interested.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would suggest buffing Backburner. It's a suicide spell so it deserves big damage, like 100.

Cold medicine costs 0 and the heal doesn't really matter - I wouldn't buff this even though the design is awkward. I don't find frostbolt underwhelming either, it's an easy spammable spell that's not hard to hit with.

Ice needle needs a huge buff. Imo the worst anima card.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The heal of cold medicine absolutely matters, you're not going to only ever hit enemies with it when they're full health. Especially when bosses and enemies with over 150 HP exist(especially on higher ascensions). A projectile that does effectively 60 is not great, even at 0. In something like a kunai deck or flow deck with rock cycle where you get to spam out your projectiles repeatedly it's one thing to have weak cheap spells, but thrown into a frost deck something like that feels subpar.

Ice needle is better with root but most enemies will have openings to hit with both hits anyways, and 2 mana for 140 damage is fine.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If the game looks fun, get it, because it is. Once you master the basics there's an awesome amount of replayability with the different characters. They all play VERY differently from each other and there are tons of fun gimmicks and combos.

Yeah, the game can be overwhelming at first. It definitely was for me, though I played at release before the dev put in a patch to try and make things less chaotic, but you eventually just pick up things over time and get to the point where you get comfortable with what you have and don't have.

No Wave posted:

I would suggest buffing Backburner. It's a suicide spell so it deserves big damage, like 100.

Cold medicine costs 0 and the heal doesn't really matter - I wouldn't buff this even though the design is awkward. I don't find frostbolt underwhelming either, it's an easy spammable spell that's not hard to hit with.

Ice needle needs a huge buff. Imo the worst anima card.

Ice needle is a solid card. Most bosses have a window where you can get both hits on them.

I think backburner is the worst Anima card. Cards that limit your movement are really painful. Explosion is in the running but it's kind of a gimmick card so I don't really care about it that much.

Honestly, the part of the game that needs a balance pass is upgrades. I think the modular upgrade system is a neat idea, but in practice it's "I hope I get D for doublecast" since it's so costly to get them and a good number of upgrades are either useless or worth so little. To make them better, you'd either want to make them more plentiful, or have a better set of options. I wonder if you could put in a card upgrade system like Griftlands (where you get upgrades if you use a card enough), with some tweaks to discourage and/or prevent farming for spell upgrades in an early battle.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
IMO for "25% chance of ice/fire" to nearly ever be worth taking they need to get buffed to just do it literally always

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

IMO for "25% chance of ice/fire" to nearly ever be worth taking they need to get buffed to just do it literally always

They are extremely good on multihit spells as is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's probably true, I've just gone thru like ascension 1-10 exclusively with hardhitting flow spells with almost no deaths so I'm feeling biased towards that playstyle atm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if you get like one good multihitting spell, as many relics as possible that apply on hit, and a couple of shields you can wreck anything.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can any spell get any upgrade? Asking for a friend named Viruspell and an upgrade named "consume and heal +5 HP" because lmao you could go infinite

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can any spell get any upgrade? Asking for a friend named Viruspell and an upgrade named "consume and heal +5 HP" because lmao you could go infinite

No. Certain spell/upgrade combinations are impossible.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Apparently the mech floaty thing that waves its arms at you while charging in Eden reflects projectiles! Really enjoyed literally oneshotting myself with Shiso.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I beat hell pass 14! Well, as shopkeeper so not really, but I'm fine leaving it alone forevermore regardless. Back to 12 or maybe 13 for me.

Now that I've gotten the easy ones out of the way it's time to tackle some of the harder achievements, like "upgrade a spell 4 times" or "win with every character".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can anyone c/d if the patch for the switch fixed the crash bug/the difficulty didn't get nerfed or anything?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Can anyone c/d if the patch for the switch fixed the crash bug/the difficulty didn't get nerfed or anything?

I haven't had any crashes on Switch since the patch.

The difficulty absolutely got nerfed but I guess that was necessary. There is some kinda bug with Reva (unless I missed a change) where her shield doesn't deplete now which is annoying but not unworkable.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I got to HM 13 using Saffron's Default loadout, but I've since then switched to Solo and just aiming for the Ragnarok and Switchbait combo.

I had a really heartbreaking run where I got two doublecasts on Switchbait and +40 damage on Ragnarok, but then I choked fighting last stage Shiso when he was one cast away from dying. I got revived by Reva, and I think I killed her trying to finish him off before she healed me... and I got punished for it mid-shuffle.

Beating HM 14 is the last achievement I need, so I'm going to keep trying though. :shobon:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Aaand I got it! :aaa:

The very first run after HM13, I get this immediately after setting both my focuses to Doublelift...

...so if you want to use my seed on your Solo Saffron HM14, just beat the first fight, pick the Distress node, and you get a guaranteed Switchbait right off the bat.

From that point on, avoid any other cards, and don't get any artifacts that will add Jams or Kunais to your deck. Upgrade Ragnarok and Switchbait as much as you can, aiming for 2x Damage and Consume and +40 damage on Ragnarok... and Doublecast, Fragile on Hit, and Piercing being the best ones on Switchbait. Just make sure to never cast that Ragnarok.

By the end of my run, my combo looked like this...

...and with Blue Blood, it could delete entire rooms before they even got to move.

I'm tempted to try a HM 14 Genocide run with that seed before shelving the game until the devs patch in more content.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've been continuing to play this game and having fun with it; I'm still enjoying it as an arcade game with a bunch of variety. Saffron is too easy at high tiers of difficulty, so I put together a mod to make her closer to the rest of the bosses:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2089696579

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIyFAguy3S0

Inevitably, I immediately got owned by her in zone 7 and lost to the final boss the next time I played, but that's OSFE for you. This is kind of a niche mod (nobody really wants the game to be harder), but if you're interested, please check it out and give me feedback.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Saffron is just so good at suiciding on her dolls, maybe make her unable to trigger them?

Her fight is interesting because unlike other bosses that restrict your side of the board, she restricts where you can attack.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't had any crashes on Switch since the patch.

The difficulty absolutely got nerfed but I guess that was necessary. There is some kinda bug with Reva (unless I missed a change) where her shield doesn't deplete now which is annoying but not unworkable.

Hm. I wanted to get it for Switch but part of that is because I'm a masochist and like hard things. What got changed?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Hm. I wanted to get it for Switch but part of that is because I'm a masochist and like hard things. What got changed?

Mostly general balance passes. The difficulty scales up slower and things hit less hard in general. There are however higher difficulty modes which can add some bite back. It's basically a clearer difficulty curve for people who haven't played Battle Network.

I would say one of the biggest balance issues at the moment is that the game way too heavily rewards builds that can just spam attacks without thinking or aiming. My greatest successes basically come from being able to make a small deck with shield + damage and just buzzsaw through anything, usually with Flow or Trinity but sometimes other stuff. (Kunai can be hilarious if you get the right artifacts since each Kunai is a consumable and there are enough things that buff that which basically mean you're running around with thousands of shield.) More precise or specialized builds don't really have enough benefits to outweigh the "I can just smash the skill button nonstop" stuff.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just started playing last night, suddenly it was several hours later and i had to force myself to go to bed. Game is very good!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Beat the game for the first time last night! Started out with a poison build on Chrono Saffron, but then shifted to building almost entirely around Eternity Cannon - going with lots of consumable spells etc. Would up being fairly effective, I was surprised how easy the final boss was, at least on my pacifist run. Still have tons left to unlock though, so still a lot more to play!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just started playing this the other day, and though my Battle Network skills are still rusty (I need to learn the fine art of watching my side of the field more) I've been able to at least unlock one character and Saffron's Chrono loadout. Most bosses I can kinda handle, but Selicy just messes me up bad. She's so nimble and her attacks seem to come out of nowhere. I need to learn her patterns more closely, especially the attacks where she invades my side of the field. I also need to get better deck synergy. Any tips for a newbie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I found Chrono Saffron a great character to learn with.

As for easy decks, poison (miseri) and healing/shields (phalanx) got me my first few clears. It lets you be patient and really line up shots while dodging, but still have damage flowing while you're occupied.

Flow / frost is probably my favourite set to move up from there. Flow abilities are simple and strong, as are some frost ones, and there are some synergistic cards that work both, but some flow cards feel like traps.

But there's no need to hyperspecialize. For example, I like Energizer in any long fight, even if I'm not using glimmer cards. Same with something like Soul Fire, which can get beefy as hell. Some shields are too good to pass up too. But don't take something if it doesn't specifically add to your deck. Keep it trim and simple, and if a card isn't working out, discard it.

Remember you can pick the weighting of your rewards. You can pick up to two sets to specialize in, and your rewards will generally be weighted towards them.

I also found Selicy to be one of the harder bosses at higher levels. Just keep spamming that time freeze ability saffron gets during her attacks, and you'll pretty quickly get the hang of it.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 8, 2020