Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Grimthwacker posted:

I just started playing this the other day, and though my Battle Network skills are still rusty (I need to learn the fine art of watching my side of the field more) I've been able to at least unlock one character and Saffron's Chrono loadout. Most bosses I can kinda handle, but Selicy just messes me up bad. She's so nimble and her attacks seem to come out of nowhere. I need to learn her patterns more closely, especially the attacks where she invades my side of the field. I also need to get better deck synergy. Any tips for a newbie?

I'm definitely no expert, but something that helped me out was skipping like, 75% or more of offered rewards. Try to figure out a gameplan / win condition, and then focus on that entirely and ignore cards that don't actively help you achieve that. Also, shields are almost always helpful - I usually put Phalanx as my focus early on to get a few good shield cards, then switch to something else once I have a better idea of what I want my deck to do. I usually decide this once I get one or two strong cards that I want to build the rest of the deck around.

One thing to note is that bosses can only appear in specific zones, and get stronger the later on you encounter them. Not just stronger in terms of damage numbers, but in terms of pattern complexity. If you struggle with Selicy, it's not a bad idea to try and choose ice areas early on so you beat her sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's been a few updates since I played so I'm not sure if it got nerfed, but fire decks were hilariously overpowered.

There's a common artifact that recovers mana every time an opponent takes damage from fire, and its a pretty significant amount of mana. Combine that with Brushfire (spread all flames and refresh them), Combust (hit all flames for 150 damage and refresh them) and Rage (30 damage, 30 extra damage for each flame) and basically your opponents take fire damage near constantly while your mana is always topped off.

As a bonus, one of the final bosses, being a giant wall that takes up multiple tiles, takes damage for each tile its sitting on that's on fire. Flames completely destroy it.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Grimthwacker posted:

I just started playing this the other day, and though my Battle Network skills are still rusty (I need to learn the fine art of watching my side of the field more) I've been able to at least unlock one character and Saffron's Chrono loadout. Most bosses I can kinda handle, but Selicy just messes me up bad. She's so nimble and her attacks seem to come out of nowhere. I need to learn her patterns more closely, especially the attacks where she invades my side of the field. I also need to get better deck synergy. Any tips for a newbie?

A few random tips:

- You don't need to hyper specialize your deck. Some things do need synergy to work really well (such as flow), but every spell is usable and some spells are worth taking.
- That said, don't be afraid to skip cards. I got through Hell Mode 13 (too lazy to try 14) and I feel like I skip at least half of the card offerings. Once you play the game a little, you'll get a good sense of what cards you're comfortable with and can use while staying focused on dodging and staying alive. Getting cards that make you think too much about how to use them will ultimately get you in a lot of trouble.
- Shield cards are pretty much an always take. Heal cards nearly all of the time too. More life is good!
- You can set your "focus" in the pause screen. I am a huge fan of going Anima / Phalanx, because I love frost synergy and extra shield cards.
- CC mentioned this, but Bosses are in "tiers" which depend on when you encounter them in the run, up to tier 4 (for your regular runs; they can go up to 7 if you're doing other things). I think it's 1/1/2/2/3/3/4. The area you go to will only have one of two bosses. IIRC, Fire is Saffron/Gunner, Ruins is Reva/Terra, Ice is Violetta/Selicy, Forest is Shiso/Hazel. If you're having trouble with a boss, try and force them out early so you can get used to their attack types with less things flying at you.
- You can't fight Selicy if you play as her! :v: My main is Selicy/Frost loadout. It's fun!

My personal difficulty of the bosses (from easiest to hardest) is Saffron/Shiso/Violetta/Hazel/Gunner/Selicy/Terra/Reva. Tier 4 Reva is a nightmare :(

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Man, I had a great run going with Chrono Saffron: I had a bunch of spells that cause flame and lucked into the artifact that gives you shield on inflicting flame damage. Combined with a bunch of Mana Crystals I was doing pretty well. . . but Stage 6 Shiso ruined it all. I guess I wasn't prepared for the new attacks he has in later stages. I did manage to unlock Gunner and Reva, which was nice. Chrono Saff's kinda crazy, huh?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Also picked this up in the sale and been having a blast with it. Question, though. On the gate, is damaging any parts also subtracting from the overall HP pool, or if you're just killing off turrets is that not affecting the whole thing? I had a decent Selicy run up to it, and felt like I was spamming damage into it for ages but never did get it down. I'm wondering if maybe the front bits were absorbing everything and leaving the overall HP pool nearly full.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The turrets are their own HP but it's still good to get rid of them as soon as you can, it's less stuff to dodge. It's one of the reasons a fire/aoe deck is suggested for an easy clear at the start, you can torch the entire area and do damage while dodging.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, now that you’ve seen the Gate you can know how to tech against it. AOE spells and fire are both great, and of course AOE fire (like Wildfire or Firewall) is even better.

e: I made a mod that makes Bullet Hell Gunner’s gun pierce defense, so the character still functions in later zones. It changes a few other guns too, but that’s the important one.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2163811376

nrook fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 14, 2020

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

That makes sense, Selicy's damage is all pretty frontline focused if you don't intentionally build around that. I was probably just icing up the turrets and hurting them with my dash, but only vaguely poking the gate behind them. Good to know for next time. I don't even have all the outfits unlocked for doing no-kill finishes for everyone. Still have Terra and Violette's outfits left, since they're so much more positioning focused that my brain has trouble both doing and avoiding damage at the same time. Only managed a gate kill on Hazel so far, probably because it's so easy to just line up turrets and then focus on staying alive without also having to focus on also doing damage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just finally bought this game, got my first win on my fourth run with a "lots of 1 cost spells and shield spells" build and a shitload of "number of spells in your deck" artifacts and my fight with the last several bosses was me hammering A and B while poo poo just kind of happened around me. I didn't even really process much of what the final boss was doing, I was just having fun dancing around in our rave. :pcgaming:

Spared every boss because I couldn't bring myself to execute anyone. I don't even know what it does yet. :ohdear:

Edit: I assume to fight the Real Final Boss, etc. etc. I need to kill the woman in black?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 23, 2020

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

PMush Perfect posted:

Just finally bought this game, got my first win on my fourth run with a "lots of 1 cost spells and shield spells" build and a shitload of "number of spells in your deck" artifacts and my fight with the last several bosses was me hammering A and B while poo poo just kind of happened around me. I didn't even really process much of what the final boss was doing, I was just having fun dancing around in our rave. :pcgaming:

Spared every boss because I couldn't bring myself to execute anyone. I don't even know what it does yet. :ohdear:

Edit: I assume to fight the Real Final Boss, etc. etc. I need to kill the woman in black?

Yes, but also you need to kill everyone. Also, congrats on your first win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

booksnake posted:

Yes, but also you need to kill everyone. Also, congrats on your first win.
Dammit, I knew the shopkeeper had HP for a reason. :negative: We've got an Undertale situation here, don't we? Pacifist and Genocide are the hardest, and there's a different boss in between?

Definitely felt like one of those Slay the Spire-ish situations where I bumbled into an incredibly bonkers broken combo and got a win I really didn't deserve.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

PMush Perfect posted:

Dammit, I knew the shopkeeper had HP for a reason. :negative: We've got an Undertale situation here, don't we? Pacifist and Genocide are the hardest, and there's a different boss in between?

Definitely felt like one of those Slay the Spire-ish situations where I bumbled into an incredibly bonkers broken combo and got a win I really didn't deserve.

I never bothered to learn that particular fight properly - you can cheese it by getting a Link spell (target takes damage whenever anything else takes damage) and waiting for her to cast the spell where a bunch of pillars erupt from the ground and a big hammer smashes them for 9999 damage. Instakill.

This game is real real good but after 100 hours and change I'm in Hell 10 and it gets so difficult. You really need to break the game over your knee and play like a god. Hell 14 sounds mental.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The music in this game is really, really loving good.

Got my first neutral route win. Shield-stacking Reva build, of course. Had a double-doublecast Deck Shield. It cost 5 energy, but it was really hard to mind. Didn't get the 9999 shield achievement because I didn't think about it until I was already fighting the Gate.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Congrats! Yeah, the music is great in this game. The neutral boss song is a favorite.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Violette's theme is easily my favorite, it's got a lovely violin and it plays into the boss fight so very well.

I really ought to play this game again; I think I only ever got a win with one or two characters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Question about neutral route: Is surviving that attack/fighting that boss possible, or is it just a deliberate game-over?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Deliberate. Will continue spraying that whole field attack until the end of time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It is technically possible to survive it, but yes, it’s intended as a conclusion. It counts as a victory for all relevant purposes if that’s how your game ends.

Historically it was possible to reflect the attack and take out the angel that way, but I’m not sure that’s still possible in 1.5, since it was changed to make it more obvious that it’s not supposed to be survived.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cool, I figured, but I was hoping to get confirmation before I tried spamming Reva builds until I got the timing right on the reflect.

Unlocks questions: Am I right that outfits come from pacifist runs and loadouts come from neutral runs? And when's the best time to attack the Shopkeeper?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This would be perfect on an ipad.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Cool, I figured, but I was hoping to get confirmation before I tried spamming Reva builds until I got the timing right on the reflect.

Unlocks questions: Am I right that outfits come from pacifist runs and loadouts come from neutral runs? And when's the best time to attack the Shopkeeper?

Best time to attack the shopkeeper is as soon as humanly possible, imo. Her patterns are complex enough that it'll take several tries to really learn them and how to avoid them, so it helps to be able to retry the fight as quick as possible. It can also help you play as Chrono Saffron, so you can slow things down to learn said patterns. Her kit is also very good for dealing with the shopkeeper, as it gives you several strong attack spells that also are good at digging through her crystals when needed. Don't forget to actually buy stuff from the shopkeeper before fighting her, and keep an eye open for shield cards to help survivability before encountering her. I also recommend removing Whirl from your deck before fighting her, I never found it very useful for fighting her.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Apparently there was an update for this in December that totally flew under my radar. Added a big chunk of spells and artifacts, and a bunch of difficulty settings / hardmode modifiers.

Haven't really played it a ton since, but I've seen a lot of fun combo artifacts that interact with Misery/poison abilities at least. So rusty at the game now I have trouble with pacifist wins, so it'll take some practice again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Apparently there was an update for this in December that totally flew under my radar. Added a big chunk of spells and artifacts, and a bunch of difficulty settings / hardmode modifiers.

Haven't really played it a ton since, but I've seen a lot of fun combo artifacts that interact with Misery/poison abilities at least. So rusty at the game now I have trouble with pacifist wins, so it'll take some practice again.

Oh gently caress cool, I gotta go check those out! I remember making some suggestions on the official discord - I assume none of them got added, but there's always a chance!!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

If you want even more hard mode modifiers, try my difficulty mod. I forget if I ever posted it here, but it reworks the back end of the Hell Passes. I recommend it to anybody who plays at 12 or higher regularly; I think it's more fun than the base game at high difficulty levels. (Of course, I would.) I cut out the existing 13 and 14, which are both too brutal and make the game mostly about surviving the first three zones, and replaced them with a bunch of new effects.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought One Step From Eden on a whim awhile back and tried it tonight.

Initial thoughts:

Music is fantastic but the battle themes are kinda... Plain compared to the area transition music? Kinda a shame the latter doesn't get used more.

The incidental writing is awful so maybe I'm wishing on a monkey's paw here but it's very strange there isn't even incidental story beats along the lines of The Binding of Isaac or Dead Cells. I was sort of expecting at least an intro cutscene. Somehow throws me off a bit.

The gameplay is a little *too* fast I think? I might get used to it but still.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What story there is, you mostly have to infer. Definitely a weakness of the game, gives the endings much less gravitas than they might otherwise have.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

girl dick energy posted:

What story there is, you mostly have to infer. Definitely a weakness of the game, gives the endings much less gravitas than they might otherwise have.

Yeah I'm used to stuff like that in like Dead Cells or Isaac, it's just weird when it has a character show up like "you killed everyone NO" and it's like "wait was I supposed to care?"

As op said though the incidental writing is all just memes and references so it's probably for the best there isn't more.

Chrono Saffron seems to be a bit better for my complaint of things being too fast, since slowing down some of the really fast attacks is enough to make it manageable. Not having a basic attack sucks though.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe my neurons are just too slow but I have zero idea how you're supposed to dodge some of the poo poo from the final bosses without saff's slowmo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I felt the same way, and then one day my brain just snapped and now I can dodge most of it by muscle memory. I couldn't tell you what the dodging pattern is, but my fingers do it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ending seemed nice but I feel like it would've meant something if I knew who any of these people were.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It really does feel like this was the skeleton of the real plot put together for the early access version and they just.. never added more.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

girl dick energy posted:

It really does feel like this was the skeleton of the real plot put together for the early access version and they just.. never added more.

Given that 'they' is one person, it's easy to understand. Met the guy's parents at GDC when they were helping him with PR :shobon:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Acerbatus posted:

maybe my neurons are just too slow but I have zero idea how you're supposed to dodge some of the poo poo from the final bosses without saff's slowmo.

the game asks you to commit all the boss patterns to muscle memory and get owned a lot until you do. saffron's slow mo is kind of a trap for that reason, since she's the only character who can 1) dodge on reaction and 2) requires you to commit mana to do it. on normal difficulty you can stack enough shield to tank through basically anything though, up to and including the final final boss, as long as you are vaguely dodging in the right direction.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

One Step from Eden is definitely fast but I think it looks worse than it is because of the zone structure. In Dead Cells or a game like that, you die a lot in the first area, then you reach the second area and die a lot there, and so on. But in this game, all the zones are mixed up, so you're kind of forced to learn all of the enemies and bosses simultaneously.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It tremendously fucks with me that the large art of the character on the pause menu doesn't change with skins, like I'm using Queen for Hazel and it still shows Hazel.

Also: any tips for the shopkeeper? she keeps locking me in and I have zero attacks that can hit behind me so I just can't dodge her attacks? Is there a way around that or is it just "Have/draw the right spells"?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nrook posted:

One Step from Eden is definitely fast but I think it looks worse than it is because of the zone structure. In Dead Cells or a game like that, you die a lot in the first area, then you reach the second area and die a lot there, and so on. But in this game, all the zones are mixed up, so you're kind of forced to learn all of the enemies and bosses simultaneously.
Yeah the first ten or so hours of this game were brutal but then eventually it gets really easy. Kind of happens a lot with mixed-zone games in general, Wizard of Legend had a very rough difficulty curve as well due to it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

It tremendously fucks with me that the large art of the character on the pause menu doesn't change with skins, like I'm using Queen for Hazel and it still shows Hazel.

Also: any tips for the shopkeeper? she keeps locking me in and I have zero attacks that can hit behind me so I just can't dodge her attacks? Is there a way around that or is it just "Have/draw the right spells"?

You're dying to the exploding ice crystal attack, right? Unfortunately you just have to get good. You can rotate around the center 4 squares, following the explosions around; the crystals explode in order, and you can watch their countdowns to find out where to start. They also explode in the order they spawn, and some people watch for that (although I think that would be way harder than looking at the countdown timers).

For the ice pillar attack, you just have to have the right spells, but anything that attacks the file in front of you will do it. Lots of characters (Gunner etc) can get out with their weapon, but if you can't you need a plan to escape. Worst case you can sit on the front column and just take the hit from the pillar trying to appear on your tile; it's better than taking the big 3x3 hit.

You might want to watch a video. Shopkeeper is almost all preset patterns, and she is the same at all tiers, so you might have to fight her a dozen times in zone 1 in order to figure the fight out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I highly recommend fighting shopkeeper as soon as you possibly can for multiple reasons.

1) she's at her weakest there
2) you're going to die to her A LOT - this keeps the time between attempts as low as possible
3) you won't be tempted to make your deck very big, which will mean you'll always have cards needed on hand. Specifically you want something to deal with the ice blocks so you can get away from her big blast attack or whatever
4) you'll get really good at learning how best to use the cards your character starts with against her, so you'll hesitate less

I personally found it best to use time chrono Saffron. Time slow is good to practice dodging with, Minnie gun chews through the ice blocks, and step slash / thunder are solid attack spells. Since whirl anchors you, I usually get rid of it from my deck before fighting her. Basically all the cards you have are strong and cheap, and since there's only. Three you can always grab what you need fast.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if you get a good shiso run going you can literally kill her before she can react. that's what I did. just stack up cash, get that one artifact that makes you invincible for a second while shuffling and loop until you can two-shot her(it'll always take at least two shots because she has one-shot protection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have the easiest time using Selicy. Her melee attack can break the pillars, as well as dodge the occasional nasty thing if you're desperate. Her deck is also effective in the early game with little added to it.