Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

The ability of conservatives to ascribe all power to BILLIONAIRE George Soros is impressive. The thinking goes no further than, "he's rich so therefore ... <insert evil thing you could do with unlimited money>". Like, sure he's rich but as far as billionaires go, he's down toward the bottom. The Koch brothers were what? 15x his wealth? Compared to a major bank or MIC prime integrator he's not even as well off as a moderately sized wholly owned subsidiary.

You're also forgetting the heavy amount of antisemitism behind the Conservative's line of attack on Soros.

EDIT: Dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god, i hope its like major super sanctions or some stupid insane poo poo, maybe he bans tic tok.

i am pretty sure the second picture is a 4chan edit. like dudes a bigoted gently caress and pretty obvious about it but thats on the noes even for him, plus it doesnt match his art style.

He will charge China for every corona death. (To his personal bank account.)

Imagine how things would be if Iran hadn't deescalated the overt declaration of war a million years ago!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 14, 2020

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

China is canceled.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Murgos posted:

The ability of conservatives to ascribe all power to BILLIONAIRE George Soros is impressive. The thinking goes no further than, "he's rich so therefore ... <insert evil thing you could do with unlimited money>". Like, sure he's rich but as far as billionaires go, he's down toward the bottom. The Koch brothers were what? 15x his wealth? Compared to a major bank or MIC prime integrator he's not even as well off as a moderately sized wholly owned subsidiary.

Does Soros even do anything aside from giving a few bucks to democrats?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guze posted:

China is canceled.

:chaostrump: "I have signed legislation that will outlaw China forever. We begin bombing yesterday."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Bernie Sanders is cancelled for working with the dreaded neoliberal, haven't you heard?

Seriously though people are really reaching here complaining about the GND possibly creating jobs for people, but then again people have been reaching on things to get mad about ever since the Biden-Sanders plan stuff was revealed and it wasn't earth-shatteringly terrible like they hoped.

It's truly incomprehensible that one of the best ways to motivate people in a capitalist society is through money

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

1glitch0 posted:

This is why we're so screwed. No one has money, everyone is in debt, and even if you want to spend money on an extravagance like eating out or a movie you can't. Sure, the most oblivious will, but not most people. So the businesses are pretty much hosed. My job appears to be secure, but I'm just paying down debt and sitting at home eating rice and beans or processed box meals because I'm so mentally exhausted by going to work every day I can't bother to go to the store to buy good stuff because the lines to even get into the store are too long to wait. I feel for the people who are stuck at home, but being an "essential" worker (I'm not essential, but apparently I am) is loving exhausting. It's just work and home, while walking past boarded up windows and everyone wearing masks and avoiding each other like I'm in a Sliders episode.

I don't see a way out of this.
I've been on full UI+PUA for a month now, after about 2.5 months of reduced pay/UI+PUA. Along with my severance from work, it's very likely I could coast through the remainder of this year without having to work. I'm in the midst of updating my portfolio and am going to shoot it out to a bunch of places by the end of the week, regardless, because I'd like to find work, but thinking of how the economy is going to likely look in the next month or two, and already in a career field that is unstable as hell even in good economies (graphic design), yeah, I can't help but despair about the bold. I really don't see how the United States recovers economically from this in any way, especially given how we didn't even really recover from 2008.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

My understanding is he gives a lot of money to organizations promoting government transparency, open societies, and non-violent democratization.

So in general to causes the far-right hates.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cant cook creole bream posted:

He will charge China for every corona death. (To his personal bank account.)

Imagine how things would be if Iran hadn't deescalated the overt declaration of war a million years ago!

it will be dumb and bad and the people arnt in the mood for it like this isn't pearl harbor or 9/11 and trumps trying to wing it as such. no one gives a gently caress about islands that are mostly artificial at this point.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it will be dumb and bad and the people arnt in the mood for it like this isn't pearl harbor or 9/11 and trumps trying to wing it as such. no one gives a gently caress about islands that are mostly artificial at this point.

Wait that's what this is supposed to be about? The Senkakus?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I find it frustrating when people say "I'm perplexed at," or otherwise feign confusion toward, something they understand perfectly well. Why doesn't Goff-Marcil just say in plain language, even forceful language, "Governor DeSantis cut all funding for virtual learning during a time when that's the only learning we can do, because he hates the idea of money helping the poor."

Is she actually perplexed by this? Is she stupid?

They did it because daddy Trump wants schools re-opened and if they give money for virtual learning its less likely to happen.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

A focus on jobs and not on natural disasters effectively communicates "yes, climate change IS a hoax, but how about we let you in on a cut of the profit?"

Addressing climate change will require breaking the backs of several industries. So implementing the solutions in a way that replaces those jobs is a good thing, when you're not also planning to institute Full Space Communism.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, he actually has been pretty helpful in funding former soviet countries to move toward democracy.

So, I guess in retrospect that should tell you why conservatives target him. All roads do lead to Putin.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am pretty sure the second picture is a 4chan edit. like dudes a bigoted gently caress and pretty obvious about it but thats on the noes even for him, plus it doesnt match his art style.

Looking again, I'm pretty sure you're right. The word "GOYIM" doesn't match the rest.

Xombie posted:

Addressing climate change will require breaking the backs of several industries. So implementing the solutions in a way that replaces those jobs is a good thing, when you're not also planning to institute Full Space Communism.

This. e.g. Thatcher just plain wiped out millions of jobs in the UK by regearing the economy away from industry and it basically killed the country. Taken a while for that dead tree to fall, of course, but that was the deathblow.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s an old 4chan edit. They trolled him for a number of years with anti-semitic edits.

The other one is real, showing that he ultimately decided to just slowly become one of them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Angry_Ed posted:

Wait that's what this is supposed to be about? The Senkakus?

idk. i assume its gonna be banning tic tok and probably big economic poo poo for REVENGE or some dumb poo poo. i suspect he wants to try to be W right now.

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s an old 4chan edit. They trolled him for a number of years with anti-semitic edits.

The other one is real, showing that he ultimately decided to just slowly become one of them.

this. he was always a weird rear end in a top hat but then he basically became that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

Of course. But it's not about the jobs, you know, it's about the calamity. I'm not saying "how could you think about jobs at a time like this" but "let's not forget, we're not doing it because it's good or bad for the economy, but because it's strictly necessary to save bilions"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Of course. But it's not about the jobs, you know, it's about the calamity. I'm not saying "how could you think about jobs at a time like this" but "let's not forget, we're not doing it because it's good or bad for the economy, but because it's strictly necessary to save bilions"

Natural disasters don't vote. People who want to be employed do. Your criticism here doesn't make much sense. Not focusing on the part of the plan that wins the most people over (while simultaneously undermining a predictable criticism of the plan) doesn't accomplish anything.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

Natural disasters don't vote. People who want to be employed do. Your criticism here doesn't make much sense. Not focusing on the part of the plan that wins the most people over doesn't accomplish anything.

Especially at a time where unemployment is in the double digits.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Abner Assington posted:

I've been on full UI+PUA for a month now, after about 2.5 months of reduced pay/UI+PUA. Along with my severance from work, it's very likely I could coast through the remainder of this year without having to work. I'm in the midst of updating my portfolio and am going to shoot it out to a bunch of places by the end of the week, regardless, because I'd like to find work, but thinking of how the economy is going to likely look in the next month or two, and already in a career field that is unstable as hell even in good economies (graphic design), yeah, I can't help but despair about the bold. I really don't see how the United States recovers economically from this in any way, especially given how we didn't even really recover from 2008.

I feel you, brother. Hang in there.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

Natural disasters don't vote. People who want to be employed do.

People who don't want to die in natural disasters also vote.

It wouldn't be funny if the quote was "we can build new industries while making our country safer from heat waves, floods, and rising sea levels" or whatever. But by totally ignoring the environmental benefits of reducing climate change, we act as if climate change isn't an environmental problem but an economic opportunity, i.e., just something we're able to make up to invent new jobs. Which is exactly what Trump has called it the whole time; a fake crisis engineered to expand certain industries.

Maybe that's good campaign strategy, not because "natural disasters don't vote" but because unemployment feels more urgent than climate instability, in terms of whether or not your kids get to eat, but it's still a funny phenomenon.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2020

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Xombie posted:

Natural disasters don't vote. People who want to be employed do. Your criticism here doesn't make much sense. Not focusing on the part of the plan that wins the most people over (while simultaneously undermining a predictable criticism of the plan) doesn't accomplish anything.

Depends on the angle from which you approach it, philosophical distinctions matter a lot to people (especially on an online message board for arguing about stuff), so dismissing those distinctions with an argument about pragmatism is equally nonsensical. If you want to argue those distinctions don’t matter because you’re more concerned with what you believe to be a more practical approach then say that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

This is why we're so screwed. No one has money, everyone is in debt, and even if you want to spend money on an extravagance like eating out or a movie you can't. Sure, the most oblivious will, but not most people. So the businesses are pretty much hosed. My job appears to be secure, but I'm just paying down debt and sitting at home eating rice and beans or processed box meals because I'm so mentally exhausted by going to work every day I can't bother to go to the store to buy good stuff because the lines to even get into the store are too long to wait. I feel for the people who are stuck at home, but being an "essential" worker (I'm not essential, but apparently I am) is loving exhausting. It's just work and home, while walking past boarded up windows and everyone wearing masks and avoiding each other like I'm in a Sliders episode.

meanwhile the Fed has shoveled $5 trillion if funny money out the door and Congress has pushed $800 billion real dollars out of helicopters. But mostly for businesses and banks. And if you're a worker who wants a stimulus you have to lose your job first which was a galaxy brain idea for the economy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1283116814935842816?s=20

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Also, it's becoming more and more common knowledge that the Italian strain of CoVID basically took over and is now the most dominant form of the virus than the "Wuhan Flu" that they keep insisting on.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

People who don't want to die in natural disasters also vote.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

people are kind of ridiculously bad at assessing long-term risks. i agree about the severity of the crisis, but even people who believe in climate change aren't going to be motivated by a vague risk in the future

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Depends on the angle from which you approach it, philosophical distinctions matter a lot to people (especially on an online message board for arguing about stuff), so dismissing those distinctions with an argument about pragmatism is equally nonsensical. If you want to argue those distinctions don’t matter because you’re more concerned with what you believe to be a more practical approach then say that.

I would hope that people of reasonable perspective could see that GND could appeal to both 'we need jobs' and 'we need to save ourselves' and not actually detract from either message.

But, eh, obviously everything is zero-sum on the internet.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Generic American posted:

Well that's certainly one way to workshop your messaging.
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1283025967234113536

I figured out whats been tickling the back of my head about this.

The answer to the massive problem of pandemic induced unemployment is, "Let them eat cake".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Sydonahi/status/1283120974284509184?s=20

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

1glitch0 posted:

I feel you, brother. Hang in there.
Doing my best, man. Been pretty well isolated since March (went out twice to two separate friends' homes, with only two other people present at most), so that's definitely dragging on me a bit. Browsed r/NeckbeardNests for an hour or so before bed last night and that gave me some relief; I might have some dust here and there and can definitely afford some time to vacuum, but holy poo poo at least I'm not that bad.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The words you need to remember when any Trump admin policy being over turned is brought up is, 'arbitrary and capricious'.

That's how low the bar is, they just have to not be arbitrary and capricious and they can't manage it. It's described as a proof of life test, 'can you fog the mirror'. All they have to do is have a rationale that on a surface level is consistent with policy goals and the courts pretty have to accept the executive branches reasoning for a policy change.

Trumps admin is 11 and 84 in court challenges. Most presidents are well in the 80% win rate on these.

https://policyintegrity.org/trump-court-roundup

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, the plan/platform came out last week. You can just read it if you want https://joebiden.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/UNITY-TASK-FORCE-RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf

Yeah this is filled with lip service but also shows us exactly how Biden is going to throw climate under the bus like he’s done everything else.

The key is the section where he brags about how many jobs will be created improving the natural gas industry. That’s the tell. There’s a big push to fudge the numbers and declare some natural gas “carbon neutral” due to a bunch of different loopholes. Meanwhile the science has shown repeatedly that even a tiny amount of leakage makes “renewable natural gas” terrible for the climate.

So if we do get a climate bill from Biden expect it to be a massive handout to the natural gas industry.

And before someone uses the lobbyist line about “natural gas as a transition fuel” well guess what, we used up our transition time and now we have to shut it down. Instead of spending time and effort improving natural gas infrastructure we need to be planning on shutting it down.

This shouldn’t be shocking since Biden’s previously endorsed a carbon capture plan supported by the coal industry (CCS can mean burning more coal) and his chief climate advisor was a former natural gas executive.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Their attempt at sabotaging the USPS in the 90s having failed, Republicans just go for overt destruction.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

He's gonna do yellowface on national television.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Murgos posted:

The words you need to remember when any Trump admin policy being over turned is brought up is, 'arbitrary and capricious'.

That's how low the bar is, they just have to not be arbitrary and capricious and they can't manage it. It's described as a proof of life test, 'can you fog the mirror'. All they have to do is have a rationale that on a surface level is consistent with policy goals and the courts pretty have to accept the executive branches reasoning for a policy change.

Trumps admin is 11 and 84 in court challenges. Most presidents are well in the 80% win rate on these.

https://policyintegrity.org/trump-court-roundup

yeah it is absolutely staggering how often the trump admin loses these, and the only reason they're winning any of them is the supreme court stepping in and applying a trump administration handicap

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah this is filled with lip service but also shows us exactly how Biden is going to throw climate under the bus like he’s done everything else.

The key is the section where he brags about how many jobs will be created improving the natural gas industry. That’s the tell. There’s a big push to fudge the numbers and declare some natural gas “carbon neutral” due to a bunch of different loopholes. Meanwhile the science has shown repeatedly that even a tiny amount of leakage makes “renewable natural gas” terrible for the climate.

So if we do get a climate bill from Biden expect it to be a massive handout to the natural gas industry.

And before someone uses the lobbyist line about “natural gas as a transition fuel” well guess what, we used up our transition time and now we have to shut it down. Instead of spending time and effort improving natural gas infrastructure we need to be planning on shutting it down.

This shouldn’t be shocking since Biden’s previously endorsed a carbon capture plan supported by the coal industry (CCS can mean burning more coal) and his chief climate advisor was a former natural gas executive.

In the entire 110 page document, it only mentions natural gas twice. Both are in the context of hiring people to clean abandoned well sites and their surrounding environment.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Murgos posted:

He's a rich guy who's slightly/moderately to the left of all the other rich guys. It's not that he's powerful, it's that he's a traitor to capitalism because he doesn't publicly lust for the death of the poors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think there's much lip service to gas in there, but we'll see if Biden takes office.

However, the Green New Deal movement included pushing DOE for new nuclear reactor designs, which is a great concession from Bernie and AOC.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah this has been hell on my mental health. And I'm one of the lucky ones, still employed and working safely at home. But it's funny how the walls close in eventually, isn't it? And it's especially lovely seeing other countries already sort of getting back to normal because THEY HANDLED THIS QUICKLY AND DIDN'T WASTE TIME OR ARGUE WITH THE EXPERTS. So here we limp in limbo endlessly. I'm a crisis or two short of just cashing my chips in right now. So it's one day at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1283129297163685900

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1283129816028512256