Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bird cooch posted:

I'm seeing 2k dead today, but a lot of tracking popped over to tomorrow already.

That would probably explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Wyoming ain't no snitch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

No-Heart DumbGold

Pissheart Fakegold

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Can I take a moment to complain about Trump's order to reject any attempt to block the construction of mines on the moon from the end of the last thread? Because despite what scifi authors like to talk about, the moon's composition makes it a pretty bad choice for space mining. Most wannabe space miners look more to asteroids where there's a good selection of metallic ones that are easier to get to with way more payoff.

I know it's because some idiot got a bug up their butt and Trump saw a chance to look like a strong man again, but the depths of stupidity from this administration is weird.

The moon sucks it's all the worst rocks from Earth smooshed up into a big ball.

It's not even the coolest moon.

Just kidding the moon is cool even if it doesn't have much metal.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The one thing that no a lot of people realize with the sudden closing-down of positions and people on unemployment is going to be a lot like the 2008 recession: companies are going to learn that they can run leaner to make more profit.

Basically expect high unemployment to stick around for a few years. Trump isn't going to see a recovery this year. And if he's elected, MAYBE by the end of his 2nd term. By then he'll claim that he "solved" the unemployment of the previous administration.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Slowpoke! posted:

Is this the Ducktails thread?

:capitalism:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I read uspol to steam the virus out of my nostrils

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ringo Star Get posted:

The one thing that no a lot of people realize with the sudden closing-down of positions and people on unemployment is going to be a lot like the 2008 recession: companies are going to learn that they can run leaner to make more profit.

Basically expect high unemployment to stick around for a few years. Trump isn't going to see a recovery this year. And if he's elected, MAYBE by the end of his 2nd term. By then he'll claim that he "solved" the unemployment of the previous administration.

I would expect a Trump second term to look a whole lot like a Bush second term. The country will get a good deal of buyers remorse really quick but the courts will be gone for the rest of our lives and any real chance for any leftist policy.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Anyone have a not-twitter quote for this one?

(Twitter does not work for me, and yep, I could fix my lack of twitter if I gave a drat, but I do not.)

(And yes, I searched in multiple directions and dimensions to find an actual link.)

If it's true, of course:

https://youtu.be/QHH9EYZHoVU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm sure that never occurred to them before. And no it is totally not backfiring on them right now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I used to have a local british convert to islam who would come play trivia at a bar in atlanta. he'd never drink, just play trivia and smoke these weird rolled cigarettes. just liked playing trivia i dunno.

i got to be friendly with him and he started telling me poo poo. turns out the dude was former SAS, was a sniper in rwanda when that poo poo all went down, and had been running a speakeasy in karachi for SOMEONE in 2001 down the street from the taliban embassy.

i was like "yeah dude whatever" but the fucker spoke like six languages. and this was back when like triplingo first came out and he could just go off in farsi or arabic. loving random. the dude had the most ridiculous loving stories and they were so wild i believed them.

the first was the time he met daniel pearl. pearl walked in the front door of his speakeasy in 2001 and was like "hey can i get a drink" and alan (the guy) slammed him against the wall and put a gun under his chin and told them they had a process here. "You call the loving bar. we send a loving van. you come through the back loving door. that's the taliban embassy a block down the street you dumb motherfucker."

alan screamed that pearl was mossad and absolutely got what was coming to him. like he went on a loving rant about how big an rear end in a top hat the guy was and he was pissing off everyone in karachi and half the city would have copped to killing him.

the other story was when he was guarding a soccer stadium full of tutsi refuges during Rwanda. they had some various british diplomats coming in and needed to have "eyes" for security purposes. just to show the brits they couldn't stop them from doing anything hutu militia rolled in and started beheading people with machetes. "don't use bullets, they cost money," was what alan heard them say over loudspeaker.

he kept begging his CO to just let him pop the guy in charge. he was standing on a jeep ordering instructions. he was ordered he couldn't do anything unless british personnel were fired on. he had to sit there and watch hundreds get butchered by machete.

about a year later he claimed he had a boat he had to get out of pakistan and we never saw him again.

anyway take that for whatever you want but i firmly believe Daniel Pearl got what was coming to him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Otteration posted:

Anyone have a not-twitter quote for this one?

(Twitter does not work for me, and yep, I could fix my lack of twitter if I gave a drat, but I do not.)

(And yes, I searched in multiple directions and dimensions to find an actual link.)

If it's true, of course:

https://youtu.be/QHH9EYZHoVU

Speaking of which, is it just me or is anyone else suddenly seeing a thin blue line in place of all the twitter links on this forum?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is it just me or is anyone else suddenly seeing a thin blue line in place of all the twitter links on this forum?

Radium loves cops now? Thats not a good sign.

I have not, but twitter tends to gently caress up for me in all sorts of weird ways, so maybe thats just happening to you now, too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Radium loves cops now? Thats not a good sign.

I have not, but twitter tends to gently caress up for me in all sorts of weird ways, so maybe thats just happening to you now, too.

Probably, it works fine on my phone and hadn’t been a problem on my browser until just a little bit ago today. Maybe it’s just a temporary glitch or something.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SocketWrench posted:

Someone probably phrased it to Trump as mining the moon and carving his likeness into it like a giant Mount Rushmore and everyone on earth will have to look at it

TRU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Not here, but maybe you've been selected for a special arrangement? :)

(Go for the usual suspects, restart, caches, cookies, try a new browser, etc., of course? Feel free to be paranoid though?)

Edit: Yep, forgot that the twit overlords do like to change their code on a whim. Still would recommend deleting cached data unless you rely on twitter for extreme family coms or maybe your pacemaker updates or ventilator dynamics or whatnot.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 8, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FizFashizzle posted:

I used to have a local british convert to islam who would come play trivia at a bar in atlanta. he'd never drink, just play trivia and smoke these weird rolled cigarettes. just liked playing trivia i dunno.

i got to be friendly with him and he started telling me poo poo. turns out the dude was former SAS, was a sniper in rwanda when that poo poo all went down, and had been running a speakeasy in karachi for SOMEONE in 2001 down the street from the taliban embassy.

i was like "yeah dude whatever" but the fucker spoke like six languages. and this was back when like triplingo first came out and he could just go off in farsi or arabic. loving random. the dude had the most ridiculous loving stories and they were so wild i believed them.

the first was the time he met daniel pearl. pearl walked in the front door of his speakeasy in 2001 and was like "hey can i get a drink" and alan (the guy) slammed him against the wall and put a gun under his chin and told them they had a process here. "You call the loving bar. we send a loving van. you come through the back loving door. that's the taliban embassy a block down the street you dumb motherfucker."

alan screamed that pearl was mossad and absolutely got what was coming to him. like he went on a loving rant about how big an rear end in a top hat the guy was and he was pissing off everyone in karachi and half the city would have copped to killing him.

the other story was when he was guarding a soccer stadium full of tutsi refuges during Rwanda. they had some various british diplomats coming in and needed to have "eyes" for security purposes. just to show the brits they couldn't stop them from doing anything hutu militia rolled in and started beheading people with machetes. "don't use bullets, they cost money," was what alan heard them say over loudspeaker.

he kept begging his CO to just let him pop the guy in charge. he was standing on a jeep ordering instructions. he was ordered he couldn't do anything unless british personnel were fired on. he had to sit there and watch hundreds get butchered by machete.

about a year later he claimed he had a boat he had to get out of pakistan and we never saw him again.

anyway take that for whatever you want but i firmly believe Daniel Pearl got what was coming to him.

this story is obviously bullshit except that if you take a cross section of anglos that speak 4 or 5 languages or more you pretty much are left with only people who have done some seriously insane stuff.

I spoke a bunch of languages by 20 and when I then learned a fair bit of Russian and then started adding Arabic on top of it holy poo poo the people you would meet learning those were like 25% 'i'm learning so i can speak to my wife's family' 60% 'I'm joining the military/foreign service/intel route' and 15% 'hey come over and lets get shitfaced and i'll tell you patently unbelievably stories from the intersection of military and intel and oh yeah i have pictures documenting these insane stories.'

It's pretty sweet, I highly suggest learning as many languages as possible, though holy gently caress is it hard to keep up with them after a certain point :smith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know a Ukrainian guy who definitely fits that description. Crazy fucker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FizFashizzle posted:

I think you got conned by a schizophrenic or someone who wanted to tell crazy stories at a bar.

British diplomats and military forces weren't present in Rwanda by the time the widespread killing began, let alone in enough numbers to be securing stadiums. They evacuated. That was the whole controversy over the west "letting" Rwanda happen.

Also, Pearl was not Mossad. He was an American citizen and even the people who beheaded him didn't claim he was with Mossad.

Also, why in the world would a British veteran retire, then emigrate to go open a speakeasy in Pakistan, and then emigrate again to hang out at your local bar in Atlanta to play bar trivia?

That's some weird stuff to say and pretty horrible to think he deserved to have his throat slit and head chopped off.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 8, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I know a Ukrainian guy who definitely fits that description. Crazy fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgz-CKRzs-4

Fake ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dsnRsybtXM

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 8, 2020

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

They're never going to get it. They think they can get him in a gotcha, that he might feel some kind of responsibility to the American people. Or that he might have empathy or remorse. He doesn't. He never will. You can't get this guy by merely saying "Oh well what about you doing this hrmmm?" All he has to do is respond "I get to do this because I'm me". They have no comeback to that. With the Senate in GOP hands, they're not going to hold him to account. The courts, packed by McConnell sure won't. The legislative branch is effectively neutered, and the executive and judiciary turn a blind eye.

The only way is to stop playing with him. Stop giving him airtime. It's hard because they know he brings in ratings for people to either support him, or gawp at the carnage by the side of the road.

The US media is completely unequipped to bring this man to any kind of accountability. He either makes them too much money through ratings, so they broadcast him uncritically, or they don't have an effective enough strategy to counter what he says, so a majority of the reportage is either sanitised bullshit, or "Can you believe this fucker?"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i know WI is a shitshow, but i haven't been following closely on what specific elections are up. i know there's an election for the WI Supreme Court. how will this change the makeup of the current court?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mr Interweb posted:

so i know WI is a shitshow, but i haven't been following closely on what specific elections are up. i know there's an election for the WI Supreme Court. how will this change the makeup of the current court?

It determines whether it is a 5-2 or 4-3 conservative majority.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1247541721669324801

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It determines whether it is a 5-2 or 4-3 conservative majority.

so we lose regardless?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

"Up to"

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

so we lose regardless?

The real title of this thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr Interweb posted:

so we lose regardless?

Just like with SCOTUS, it's the difference between getting one of them to see reason and two of them. There are also a number of other local elections and the presidential primary.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/lukeobrien/status/1247622542535405568

https://twitter.com/Kyle__Boone/status/1247614555699765250

https://twitter.com/Kyle__Boone/status/1247621399457521664

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Please do this if you're a MA resident. I was lucky enough to sign for him during Super Tuesday. Let your family and friends know.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think you got conned by a schizophrenic or someone who wanted to tell crazy stories at a bar.

British diplomats and military forces weren't present in Rwanda by the time the widespread killing began, let alone in enough numbers to be securing stadiums. They evacuated. That was the whole controversy over the west "letting" Rwanda happen.

Also, Pearl was not Mossad. He was an American citizen and even the people who beheaded him didn't claim he was with Mossad.

Also, why in the world would a British veteran retire, then emigrate to go open a speakeasy in Pakistan, and then emigrate again to hang out at your local bar in Atlanta to play bar trivia?

That's some weird stuff to say and pretty horrible to think he deserved to have his throat slit and head chopped off.

Crazy story guys are almost never schizophrenic, they're almost always just telling stories that they saw in a movie. Schizophrenia narratives don't really hold up as even entertaining stories to be told, they just sound insane and paranoid

see the absolutely massive rise in stolen valor idiots claiming some connection to the american sniper dude after that movie came out

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Football program bankrolled by T. Boone Pickens may not be on the up and up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Most college football coaches are savants in their field, but literally probably could not explain how magnets work

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Most college football coaches are savants in their field, but literally probably could not explain how magnets work

Yes, also every other expert.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Dabo Swinney remains a mystery.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
To become an industry-leading expert in any given field inherently means to neglect your capacity for all other knowledge because there just isn't enough time in the day, unless you're some kind of once in a generation polymath

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Can someone tell them that.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I don't understand how everything is always so much stupider. It's so loving infuriating. Can we not for like one loving second just be like "Okay let's focus on the pandemic" and not trying to figure out how to sequester athletes for sports?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

I don't understand how everything is always so much stupider. It's so loving infuriating. Can we not for like one loving second just be like "Okay let's focus on the pandemic" and not trying to figure out how to sequester athletes for sports?

I don't know what to tell you, man. We're clearly trending in the other direction. I hate it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fart Amplifier posted:

I don't understand how everything is always so much stupider.
I WANT THING. MAKE THING HAPPEN.:buddy: