Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Super on-board for this! My brother and I used to play this all the time, most of it in the Arid Heights level. I never got into the sequels, and I'm not sure why. Good luck with the later scenarios!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I love when LPs provide tons of related background knowledge. Thanks!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't there a fatal accident in an UK theme park some years ago?

I bring this up because this is literally the only case of a death in a theme park that I know about in Europe in recent history.

Anyway, the history post reminded me that the Ferris Wheel in RCT1 is horribly broken.

You know how in real life, they start with a 'special' lap where they stop each car at the loading station, have people get out and new people get in, and once they do a full circle like that, they do 3 laps or whatever, and then do another loading lap?

Not so in RCT1.

In RCT1, if you select "1 lap", what happens is a car will be loaded, then the wheel will make 1 full lap + 1 car, then that car will be loaded, 1 full lap + 1 car, and so on. That's why people are in 16 laps even if you set it to 1.
Set the number of laps to 2, after a car is loaded, the wheel will do 2 full laps + 1 car, then load the second car, and so on. So 32 laps for each guest.

I believe this is a bug and I think it was fixed in RCT2?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Re: wood coasters, I've ridden on one of the oldest ones that's still operation. I remember it being pretty fun! Also this was 16 years ago so my memories are pretty foggy. Still, it's pretty neat that you can still ride century-old rides today (although it's probably very much the Rollercoaster of Theseus at this point)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

^ I make a point of riding it every time I visit the Tivoli Gardens, it's an awesome ride!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I always hated wooden coasters as a kid but I think that’s because the ones at Kings Dominion are very rough. If you don’t hold your head right, you will get whiplash.

I very rarely hold my head right and almost always come out with a sore neck.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This was a weird way to find out that they closed two of my favorite kings island coasters. Goodbye Son of Beast and Vortex. :(

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Roth posted:

This is the part where I confess that my education background is in History. If I continue to do LPs past this game, I would probably pick other games I can do similar posts on the history of. Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2 someday?

I'd love to see LPs of historical games with commentary on how the actual history fits together.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

This was a weird way to find out that they closed two of my favorite kings island coasters. Goodbye Son of Beast and Vortex. :(

Man, you should be watching Defunctland.

Also, Roth, love thsi LP, love this game, so glad to find someone worse at making roller coasters than me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

hopeandjoy posted:

I always hated wooden coasters as a kid but I think that’s because the ones at Kings Dominion are very rough. If you don’t hold your head right, you will get whiplash.

I very rarely hold my head right and almost always come out with a sore neck.

As far as I'm aware most wooden coasters consider bashing you about a feature. Hell at six flags over texas they literally called it the rattler.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The only wooden coaster I've ever ridden was the Blue Streak at Cedar Point, and it is so sedate that you can barely feel the rattling.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Roth posted:

This is the part where I confess that my education background is in History. If I continue to do LPs past this game, I would probably pick other games I can do similar posts on the history of. Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2 someday?

inflatablefish posted:

I'd love to see LPs of historical games with commentary on how the actual history fits together.

Seconding this. I've always liked seeing the history behind things and historical LP's sound neat as hell.

Still, I had no idea carousels evolved from jousting, let alone jousting with perfume. I'd never have guessed it dated all the way back to the 7th century Byzantium either.

The things you learn.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

On to the second scenario

The second scenario of the game is Dynamite Dunes. The objective this time is to have at least 650 guests in the park with a park rating of at least 600 by the end of October, Year 3. It's essentially the same as the last scenario just across a longer time, and in a desert environment with mountains.

We also have a lot more space in this scenario and it comes with a pre built roller coaster called Dynamite Blaster. You can sell it if you want to for some extra cash, but I'm going to keep it.

Our first gentle ride is going to be a slide. Legitimately probably the least exciting thing to see being advertise as a ride at a theme park.

Here's also a closer look at Dynamite Blaster. Parts of the track go underground which is a thing you can do in this game. It will raise the excitement rating.

Another gentle ride is the car ride. Think Autopia. Unlike most gentle rides, this one allows you to build a custom track.

You may notice that the Merry-Go-Round is on a raised platform. If you build on raised terrain like this the ride will be placed like this necessitating building paths that go up.

In the middle of constructing our first log flume ride our track is on a collision course with the mountain. Thankfully, as a rich entrepreneur we are more than capable of digging holes.

However we ended up going a different direction anyway, but surely guests can still enjoy standing over a pit while waiting for a log ride.

Log rides are a popular attraction in any amusement park. They do very well in in hotter climates like this one.

I forgot to screenshot it in the first scenario, but here's the information kiosk. They sell maps and umbrellas. Personally, if a theme park told me the map had to be purchased I'd just say "No thank you" but guests in this game aren't particularly wise with their cash.

Go-Karts are a very consistent popular ride to have in a park. If you increase the number of laps the excitement rating goes up, but I'm keeping it at 3 to keep the queue line relatively short.

Much like in real life, if guests wait in line for rides for too long they'll start getting frustrated. Unlike in real life, RCT does not have any fast pass options for guests.

Another attempt at a custom roller coaster, this time a wooden coaster. This one ended up being a failure, but here's also a look at the operation menu. Many roller coasters will have customization options for how to run the ride, like how many guests it should wait for before launching, and various modes of launch. This allows you to build roller coasters like the shuttle loop coaster from the last update.

Soon after testing, it started raining. Rain is somewhat unfortunate because it means guests won't want to get on rides that are outside. Rides like the Haunted House that are indoors will be more popular. There is a big way to make sure you don't lose too much profit though.

Sell umbrellas for the max price, because when it is raining, guests will not care about the price. $20 is the max you can charge for an umbrella.

Unlike the game, nobody wants Ride to Hell: Retribution. Let's scrap it and get a new coaster.

So here's our new coaster: Price Xixor vs The West. We can't afford the rights to even noncanon Star Wars characters, so we have to go with a mis-spelling. This is an inverted swinging coaster, meaning that the train is under the track, and will sway back and forth. Lots of turns will make this more exciting for guests.

The last scenario was short enough that this wasn't a problem, but with three years we do have to take into account that as rides get older, we'll have to cut prices on them since they're not as appealing to guests anymore. This happens with every ride regardless of how good it is.

I do not know how this guy got here. If guests get off track from the path like this they will get lost, and eventually vanish. This will massively cut down on your park value, so if you ever catch click on the tweezers and move him to the correct area. We are a generous capitalist god, and maybe saving this guy's life counts as a charity write off for tax breaks.

I noticed that cult classic Log Flume ride "Ride a Log" was breaking down a lot, and I realized I forgot a very useful tip. Instead of going with the 30 minute default inspection time, move it down to every 10 minutes to keep rides running as much as possible. I forget to do this basically every time.

We have finally built a competent Mini Steel Coaster that people will actually want to ride. I knew I'd eventually get the hang of it again!

Bumper Cars! Finally you can experience the thrill of a Twisted Metal game in a g-rated environment. It's a gentle ride and guests will go on them during the rain.

As I said earlier, guests will eventually stop wanting to pay so much for old rides. The slide is too expensive for guests at a measly fifty cents, so clearly it's time to replace it with something new. Something exciting, bold, and fresh!

It's a Slide 2! With a new paint job! Since it's a new ride, guests will be happy to pay for it again. Suckers!

Generally with entertainers and security I consider them to not be the most useful staff around. Vandalism is caused by unhappiness so if you simply keep the park running well, then security guards are near useless. Similarly entertainers aren't so valuable when they also just raise unhappy guests' moods. Still, I like to keep one placed near the entrance just to make sure guests are leaving on a happy note. You can also place them in long queue lines to help with that too.

I made a second attempt at constructing a wooden roller co- Wait? Stand Up Steel Coaster researched?

So here I am building a Stand Up Steel Coaster. A special piece available to many roller coasters is a photo station that guests can then purchase.

Our stand up coaster is now complete. Replacing the car ride that was really not turning a profit anymore we have T-Pose to Victory. Standing Roller Coasters tend to get high intensity ratings no matter what, but we managed to make this one work.

I neglected to mention it before, but excitement and intensity go hand in hand until you have an intensity rating above 10. At which point the excitement rating takes a penalty. Also, if you construct rides to go over or under other rides or themselves, that will also help the excitement rating.

As mentioned before, you can charge for on-ride photos. Many theme parks do this now, though plenty also offer some sort of all-in-one package deal that gets put to your phone. When this came out, it was generally paid per ride for a print out with a novelty frame.

Another thrill ride that was researched is the Top Spin. It's probably the thrill ride that causes the most nausea in the game, so it's a good idea to have a handyman nearby for all the vomit.

Also researched was a different kind of ride vehicle for the mini steel coaster. Instead of ladybugs, we now have rocket pods. The second train wasn't able to make it all the way around the track due to colliding with the first one and bumping back, so we had to scale back to 1.

Next coaster to get researched was a corckscrew coaster. Built this one like the looping shuttle coaster from the last scenario. These kinds of rides are a good way to save space.

Here's the fool view of the ride.

As I said last update, no matter what victory does not activate until the end of the time limit. This is an easy scenario so you'll likely meet the conditions by the first year, leaving you with two years to just mess around. Here's the screen to list all of your rides at the same time. You can sort by status, popularity, and profits.

If you scroll to profit per hour, you can quickly find which rides are not making back their costs, allowing you to rectify the problem.

I also could have sworn I screencapped it earlier, but we also got a Monorail build for the park. Transport rides move guests from one spot to the other, however guests do not seek them to out be transporter. They treat them like any other ride in the game. The main use is that you can get them out of areas where it's easier for them to get confused and move them back to the front.

We also hit 1,000 guests!

And that's the second scenario finished. Again, it's an easy scenario, just time consuming because of the time limit. If you play Open RCT2 however, there is a speed up function.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

berryjon posted:

I've worked in an amusement park as well. I know full well the joys of "protein spills".

Wet trash!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Another RCT1 'bug' is that if you make paths that are multiple tiles wide, the guests' pathfinding will get all hosed up and they'll never find their way anywhere.

And for the next real life theme park fact: one time at the park where I worked, after closing time, when we were cleaning up for the day and security was nudging the last few guests towards the exit, we found this lone 5-yo walking around the park entrance/exit area. We had lots of trouble understanding them (forgot if it was a boy or girl this was years ago), there was a language barrier. At some point we managed to get in touch with their parents. They were on the way home, several hundred kilometers past the country border, and were convinced their kid was sleeping on the back seat of the car. Once they found out they immediately turned around to pick the kid up, but one of my coworkers had to stay with the kid until the parents made their way back.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maps are pretty essential for your guests, so you don't want them too expensive. The way guest pathfinding works, by default they will follow their path until they hit an intersection, then take a random path. (This is why multi-tile paths mess them up, they're all intersections so guests will just randomly wander until they get out.) They'll only consider riding a ride when they reach its queue. With a map, on the other hand, they'll decide what they want to do out of all of the options and then aim for it, so you can much more efficiently entertain them/extract their money.

I suppose alternatively you could make your entire path system one long loop with no turns. Full on labyrinth park.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Roth posted:

First up we have the Merry-Go-Round:

The game was changed up in the 17th century, where riders now had to spear small rings that were hanging over their heads. No jousting was involved, but it was still a cavalry spectacle that commoners would start to participate.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but the amusement park Knoebels in Pennsylvania has a Merry-Go-Round that if you're on the outer edge, there's a spot where you can grab metal rings from as it goes around. Not sure if any other park has something like that., but it's a neat concept that adds a little more zest to the ride and calls back to this ancient history.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Did not expect theme park ride history lessons in an RCT LP. Very interesting to read.

As a kid I spent countless hours playing RCT. About halfway through the original campaign, it always devolved into building endless variations of go kart tracks, setting them on max number of laps and max number of karts and watching the races unfold. :munch:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I'm not sure if it's still there, but the amusement park Knoebels in Pennsylvania has a Merry-Go-Round that if you're on the outer edge, there's a spot where you can grab metal rings from as it goes around. Not sure if any other park has something like that., but it's a neat concept that adds a little more zest to the ride and calls back to this ancient history.

It's still there. There's a lion's mouth you can throw them into at the end. I always grab them for my daughter to throw in.

We were hoping to go there this year while visiting my mom but welp. I can't do a lot of spinning rides and it's the only place I know of with free entry.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Merry-go-rounds on traveling fun fairs around this region often have this thing hanging from a rope from the roof, and an employee pulls on the rope so it is just barely out of reach of everyone trying to grab it, although they make sure some kid can grab it just before the end of the ride.

The kid who grabs it gets another ride for free.

It's a good way to keep kids occupied during the ride.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This is a good LP, personally where I am we only really have one real Theme Park and one yearly fair but they’re both pretty good with the rides. I love the ship rides but sadly they were decommissioned at my local park, as far as coasters go we have a hairpin drop which I imagine isn’t available in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

RCT 3 was also one of the earliest computer games I played, although generally I was just making roller coasters that crashed off the track because those were fun to watch.

I really liked the ride history lesson and look forward to the next set.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I love this game. You can put a “do not enter” sign before the exit of the park, trapping people forever inside.

I worked at a park for 5 summers. Hard work but good fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Tenebrais posted:

Maps are pretty essential for your guests, so you don't want them too expensive. The way guest pathfinding works, by default they will follow their path until they hit an intersection, then take a random path. (This is why multi-tile paths mess them up, they're all intersections so guests will just randomly wander until they get out.) They'll only consider riding a ride when they reach its queue. With a map, on the other hand, they'll decide what they want to do out of all of the options and then aim for it, so you can much more efficiently entertain them/extract their money.

This is a big reason why I always try to place ride exits adjacent to the main path when possible and slap a no entry sign over the exit path when not. Stops people from getting confused as easy by eliminating useless alleys from their path finding.

Similarly, every big moneymaker i make has the queue tied directly into the exit, so when the guests get off the immediately consider riding again.

Tenebrais posted:

I suppose alternatively you could make your entire path system one long loop with no turns. Full on labyrinth park.

When I started doing this it was amazing how fast the "is lost and can't find the park exit" messages stopped.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I love this game. You can put a “do not enter” sign before the exit of the park, trapping people forever inside.

Nope. Do not enter signs were added in the second game.

What you can do is have the entrance only open up to a couple of rides, which have the exits in a distinct unconnected part of the park with the rest of the rides.

The park rating will drop like a rock though if people want to leave and can't get out.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Nope. Do not enter signs were added in the second game.

I think they were one of the expansion's features. The Steam edition has them (and the much-needed 'fastforward' function - I spent way too many hours trying to finish a 4,5hr scenario in order to open up the next one).

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Love the history paired with the updates Roth, keep it up!

So, regarding the whole "who on earth pays for entrance and rides separately" thing: I grew up in a small sea side village in south east England that had it's own tiny theme park. I really do mean tiny, it fit in the space between the post office and the second hand book store. Pretty much all the rides you've seen so far sans the coasters were present in some form over the years, even a tiny ferris wheel about eight meters tall and a haunted house that has been there my entire life.

Anyway, while you don't pay for entrance at this place you do pay for rides. At the kiosk you buy tokens that can be used for ride access, with some rides costing a bit more than others. I imagine a lot of small, local places like mine also do a system like this.

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005
Loved this game back in the day! If you want to steal an insane thing I used to do, never build a transport ride to reach the distant parts of the bigger parks and use a coaster with multiple stations instead. Powered launch coasters are faster and if you throw some hills and elevated turns the riders love it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wasn't there a fatal accident in an UK theme park some years ago?

I bring this up because this is literally the only case of a death in a theme park that I know about in Europe in recent history.

The recent incident that comes to mind is the Smiler crash of 2015. It's a steel rollercoaster with 14 inversions - I've never been on it, it wasn't built the last time I was at Alton Towers.

To summarise quickly, on 2nd June 2015 they'd temporarily added a fifth train to the coaster because of crowding. Somehow an empty test train got stuck and an engineer overrode the perfectly operational safety system, not knowing the test train was there. A loaded train rammed into it at 20mph and five people were seriously hurt. Two of them lost limbs.

There've been a few other fatalities in the last 20 years or so, people falling off rides or injured while climbing around near them and such.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never in my life seen a theme park that charged per ride instead of one ticket so I was very confused the first time i played this. I've also never charged per ride, only at the gate. :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never in my life seen a theme park that charged per ride instead of one ticket so I was very confused the first time i played this. I've also never charged per ride, only at the gate. :colbert:

It's more of a carnival/fairground pricing style. Dedicated theme parks don't really use it all that much.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

History update time:

First up we have the Spiral Slide

The Spiral Slide is a gentle ride that costs $330 and takes up 2x2 tiles of space, meaning you can fit this in just about any space. You can switch it to be unlimited rides per admission, though be warned. Sometimes a guest will never get off the slide.

The spiral slide in the game is based on the Helter skelter slides in the UK

The name was first recorded in 1905 from an older adverb meaning "in confused, disorderly haste". It also influenced the Beatles song.

The Car Ride is a gentle ride that starts at $540 and is variable in size. It has a height restriction of 26 feet and it is essentially a slow roller coaster. It uses a very simple track making it easy to practice custom designs with.

It's unclear if the car ride in the game relies on the guest to accelerate like in Autopia, or if it is self propelled.

Autopia itself is one of the original 1955 rides that opened with the Disneyland park, and one of the few remaining. It represented a coming future of America becoming dominated by multilane limited-access highways that were yet to be signed into legislation under Eisenhower with the Interstate Highway Act. If you ever go to Mega 64 Game Days, there's a tradition for the group to get on this and do the No Hands Grand Prix, where you simply hit the gas and don't use your hands to steer.

I'm assuming that Autopia was the main inspiration for the car ride, as the other major car ride at Disney was Test Track which opened in 1999.

The Log Flume is a water ride that starts at $1,320 and is variable in size. Log flumes can be very slow as the only way to build up speed is with going downhill. So it is important to design them carefully so they do not go on to long.

Historically, log flumes are a variant of chute rides and old mill rides that were popular in the United States in the 1900s. The modern day log flume was first constructed by Arrow Development and was the El Aserradero at Six Flags Over Texas in 1963.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqwTyK9evrA

Arrow effectively had a monopoly on log flume rides in the 60s and 60s until a French company named Reverchon Industries entered the business in 1976. The famous Splash Mountain at Disneyland was not actually added to the park until 1989.

Splash Mountain is also infamously based on Song of the South, making it weird that one of the most popular Disneyland rides is based on a film Disney tries to hide the existence of as much as possible. The attracition was conceived of in 1983 by Tony Baxter who wanted to attract guests to the Bear Country area of the park which only had Country Bear Jamboree and use the audio-animatronics from America Sings. Dick Nunis came up with the idea for it to be a log flume and then baxter thought to use Song of the South for the theme based around combining the elements of a log flume, Bear Country, and the reused America Sings characters.

These characters aren't from Song of the South but they did fit in with Song of the South's aesthetics of anthropomorphic characters based in Southern fashions.

The ride itself is stripped of all the controversial elements of Song of the South, such as Uncle Remus and the literal tar baby scene, leaving only the elements that wouldn't be call into question. In a way, it foreshadows Disney's approach to the live action remakes of pretending the problematic aspects of the originals don't exist while instead shifting to things people never cared about in the first place as what needs to be fixed.

The Go Karts are a thrill ride that start at $920 and are variable in size. The Go Karts in RCT are set up like an actual race that one of the guests can win. You can drive up the excitement rating with more laps, and by having the track go over or under itself and other rides.

Go Karts were created in 1956 by Art Ingels in Los Angeles. The first organized race took place in 1957 with several dozen karts that were built at home. The homemade go karts were the inspiration for Go Kart Manufacturing, Co., Inc in 1958. You can find many theme parks with go kart tracks today, as well as just go kart centers off on their own.

Or you could just play Mario Kart.

The Suspended Swinging Coaster is a roller coaster that starts at $3,550 and is variable in size. The cars swing around on the bottom which can make them nauseating for guests.

The coaster is based on the suspended coaster design by Arrow in the 1980s. However, suspended coasters have existed since the early 1900s with the earliest known one being Bisby's Spiral Airship.

Recreation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCSNfPse_E

The modern design by Arrow was The Bat at kings Island which opened in 1981. It had many problems like high stress on the support springs and stress on the wheels due to the brakes being mounted at the bottom of the swinging cars. It has since been refined with many parks using the coaster.

Here's Ninja at Magic Mountain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CirgUBKFc

The bumper cars are a gentle ride that costs $440 and takes up 4x4 tiles of space. As said before it's very popular during rain because it's in doors. However, the game ride can only run at full capacity so if it's not popular guests can potentially be stuck on the ride. However, the ride is generally popular that it's rarely an issue.

Bumper car history is somewhat debated with some believing they were invented by Victor Levand while others say it was Max and Harold Stoehrer. The Stoehrer brothers were at least the first to patent in 1920. They were also originally made of tin that had to be nailed back together between rides and could be dented easily. Sometimes parts would come off during the ride.

The Stand-up roller coaster is a roller coaster that starts at $3,750 and is variable in size. The ride works by having the guests stand up instead of sitting down. Because of this, the ride will generally always have a high intensity rating and needs to be designed carefully to avoid high G forces.

The stand-up coaster in the game is based on a design by the japanese company TOGO which is now defunct. The rides were infamous for being rough and smoother stand-ups from Bolliger & Mabillard drove them away.

Many stand-up coasters have ceased operation, and the latest new one was built in 1999 at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1999 known as the Georgia Scorcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bwu0C2Qbxg

The Top Spin is a thrill ride that costs $580 and takes up 3x3 tiles of space. It's one of the most nauseating thrill rides in the game.

The ride is based off the Top Spin that was developed by HUSS Park Attractions which is the generic name. They are used by many theme parks and fairs throughout the world as a popular ride. It was originally debuted in 1990.

The corkscrew roller coaster is a roller coaster that starts at $3,900 and is variable in size. The corkscrew coaster has access to a lot of special elements making it a coaster that can have very complex track designs.

Much of the ride history is shared with the looping coaster, though Arrow Dynamics is credited with the creation of most real world corkscrew coasters.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FoolyCharged posted:

It's more of a carnival/fairground pricing style. Dedicated theme parks don't really use it all that much.

Charging per ride was the standard decades ago in the 50s-70s but it started dying out in the 80s*. Disneyland for example had several different grades of ride tickets that you would buy in packs at the entrance. Its an antique of a phrase but have you ever heard something along the lines of "That sure was an E-Ticket!" Thats a reference to the most expensive tier of ride tickets that were in use in Disneyland, which were for the best rides.

* At least in the United States, I believe the practice continued in Britain for longer, which is why RCT features it I imagine.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In the park I've worked in, you could pay with either a wristband with a daily color, or loose tickets. The amount of tickets needed varied depending on the ride, with the range being 1 for the cheaper rides, and 3 at most. The House of Nightmares required a special coupon, or the equivalent of 5 USD, which you could in fact pay at the entrance.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Charging per ride/attraction seems to be the norm in Japan, too: I remember Expoland in Osaka (now closed after a bad coaster derailment) did this. I can't remember if they also charged any entrance fee, but it's not unheard of to charge for access to green spaces like parks and botanical gardens, so they may have. (It was built on the site of Expo '70, so it incorporated some nice parkland for folks to enjoy.) Charging per ride struck this American youth as odd at the time, but it makes sense: you only pay for as many rides as you want to experience.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The real question is how many theme parks actually charge for their bathrooms.

I'm guessing the answer is approximately zero - whatever money you'd make would likely be more than lost due to people who say "screw that, I'll just poo poo in those bushes then" or think they can hold it to save a buck then end up pissing themselves on a ride so it has to get shut down for cleaning. But would love to hear if anybody's got actual stories of parks charging 20 cents a piss.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All I know is that if somebody goes in one of the water park pools then that pool has to be drained completely for sanitatiom.

I've also had two kids pee in membership processing.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
In high school, my summer job was working at the local water park. There was a whole procedure if a Code F incident was called (you're less likely to cause a scene if you say 'code F' into a walkie-talkie as opposed to 'omg there's poop in the pool!' Then everyone would have to get out, a pool attendant would sprinkle some chlorine flakes, and we'd have to wait 20 minutes for all the water to recirculate through the filters.

According to the manager, the practical effect of all this was pretty much zero. It was all theater; any bacteria would have been killed ten times over by the chlorine we had in the water by default. But the guests weren't very well going to be satisfied with that, hence the whole song and dance. I don't remember it ever happening while I was working, which kinda surprised me given how popular we were with families with small children.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's actually wooden roller-coasters with inversions again(though no vertical loops, which seem to be on the way out as an element in general with newer rides)

Hades 360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNwz3zI5f4

Mine Blower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTo43xB_xs

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

In high school, my summer job was working at the local water park. There was a whole procedure if a Code F incident was called (you're less likely to cause a scene if you say 'code F' into a walkie-talkie as opposed to 'omg there's poop in the pool!' Then everyone would have to get out, a pool attendant would sprinkle some chlorine flakes, and we'd have to wait 20 minutes for all the water to recirculate through the filters.

According to the manager, the practical effect of all this was pretty much zero. It was all theater; any bacteria would have been killed ten times over by the chlorine we had in the water by default. But the guests weren't very well going to be satisfied with that, hence the whole song and dance. I don't remember it ever happening while I was working, which kinda surprised me given how popular we were with families with small children.

Pretty much. Most state regs put it at a level where for solid stuff you just fish it out and everything is good to go, outside of convincing people they still want to be in there. If poop in the water was an actual threat to people kids too young to potty train wouldn't be allowed in. Swim diapers just let water(and piss) flow through, so any kid that takes a dump in their diaper takes a dump in the pool water itself.

Now diarrhea on the other hand... you have to shut down long enough for the whole system to fluctuate a time or two. Which when you're operating a pool measured in hundred's of thousands of gallons of water usually means the rest of the day and maybe a bit of tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Holiday World, in Southern Indiana, has three wooden coasters, all of which have held varying degrees of first to third or so place in various lists. They're great but I can't ride Voyage or Legend anymore. My hips just barely squeeze into the seats and the amount of shaking and bouncing that my back takes with my waist locked in place is too much. They opened a steel suspended coaster a couple years back that's also pretty good. Really wish I lived closer to more parks with steel coasters. Kentucky Kingdom isn't terribly far but still too far to go just for that.