Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

The only time I've had to pay for admission and rides is when we went to Liseberg (in Gothenburg, Sweden) at Christmas. The entrance fee was understandable because they had the whole winter market / winter wonderland thing going on with reindeer and figure skaters and all sorts and then the rides were a few kroner each on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zip! posted:

The only time I've had to pay for admission and rides is when we went to Liseberg (in Gothenburg, Sweden) at Christmas. The entrance fee was understandable because they had the whole winter market / winter wonderland thing going on with reindeer and figure skaters and all sorts and then the rides were a few kroner each on top.

Been there myself. They sold these armbands that essentially let you ride any ride all day long, or several days. I think they also let you re-enter the park.

Tried getting into RCT several times over the years but never got the hang of it. But luckily Parkitect is eminently playable, though the sound system is kinda buggy/wonky sometimes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

evilmiera posted:

Been there myself. They sold these armbands that essentially let you ride any ride all day long, or several days. I think they also let you re-enter the park.

Tried getting into RCT several times over the years but never got the hang of it. But luckily Parkitect is eminently playable, though the sound system is kinda buggy/wonky sometimes.

On the other hand, parkitect does not have dinosaurs. There used to be some, it was naturally one of the first mods someone made. But somewhere in early access the mod was lost to the internet.

Meanwhile RCT2 has with an expansion not just dinosaurs, but animatronic dinosaurs.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hi everyone. Gonna try to get the next scenario out today or tomorrow.

Progress on it is slow because it's another 3 year long scenario and almost exactly the same as the last one.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah it can be a real slog if you reach the goals before the deadline.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Get OpenRCT which you can use the scenarios with and it has a fast forward button. :v:

Actually I think it even has the option the end the scenario in an early victory these days.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah it can be a real slog if you reach the goals before the deadline.
IIRC, this happens a lot in early scenarios - they try to make it easy by giving you generous deadlines, but in most cases, it's so generous that you finish a year or more in advance. But the early scenarios also tend to have limited number of items to build, so you can't just shrug it off as a chance to go totally nuts with building either.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I think it even has the option the end the scenario in an early victory these days.

For quite some time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I don't think I've ever even heard of a stand-up roller coaster til reading this thread. Neat!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm embarrassingly having technical issues with RCT, so I'm going to get Open RCT2 like I probably should have done from the start.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

TwoPair posted:

Huh, I don't think I've ever even heard of a stand-up roller coaster til reading this thread. Neat!

They are pretty fun, but they are killer on your rear end. You stand with a bicycle seat hydraulically pressing into your rear end the entire time so it gets painful if you're unlucky

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Got everything sorted out, on with the update

The new scenario is Leafy Lake. The objective this time is to have at least 500 guests in the park with a park rating of at least 600 by the end of October, Year 3. It's basically the same as last time, but with a different map.

The map this time at least provides a somewhat interesting gimmick in that a large amount of our space is taken up by water. You can build over water like you can with normal land for a larger cost.

It essentially works like building on a slope. Keep in mind that the depth of the water can constrain you, so if you're wondering why your roller coaster is hitting the height limit faster than it would on land that would be why.

Starting from now on, we're going to try to make 12 x 12 path grids. This is useful as it lets us keep the park highly organized, always provides a loop around, and when building custom tracks, let's us keep the design from getting too out of hand.

With all this water around, we're able to construct our row boats. This is a somewhat unique ride in that all you technically need is the station platform and guests can boat wherever they please. I would not recommend this as just like the rowboats at my parks, guests will spend forever on them. Build a short path for them so they can get on and then get out.

Continuing on, we have another 12 x 12 path that we can construct in.

We have our first hedge maze. I went with one of the pre-builds because I was really struggling with figuring out how to make a custom one. The mazes tend to be fairly popular attractions with the downside that guests can spend a while in them and queue times can be long as a result.

Also there are ducks in our lake. Click on them to make them quack!

And now we have made the switch to Open RCT2! It allows for a modern resolution, so now we have a much better view of everything all at once. It's also using RCT2 as the source instead of RCT1 so things might be a little bit different.

As mentioned before, track length doesn't actually benefit you more than having a short coaster like this. So long as your coaster hits the minimum requirements, a short coaster will actually be more advantageous to you.

Remember, the goal of the game is essentially to milk money as fast as possible so you can build the park up more to attract more guests. There is effectively a guest limit (can be overridden with advertising) that increases as you construct more rides. So you don't actually want guests to stick around forever. They need to spend their money and then get out. This is also why it's a good idea to have the entrance right next to the exit path since it'll make guests consider lining up for the ride again, draining them of more money.

Leafy Lakes also has this spot of land up here so we're not just limited to that lake area.

Once again attempting a decent wooden coaster. This is what happens when you try to build underground. To go underground, the ground level must be at least 2 levels above your coaster. This will drive up the excitement rating of your coaster quite a bit.

The finished wooden coaster is an actual success this time. We're improving at designing these things efficiently.

I also remembered to grab a screencap of the monorail this time. This one takes guests around the entire park and has three stations it stops at.

And I do mean all the way around the park. As said before, guests don't actually treat these as a means to get to other areas of the park, they're just another ride to them. So unless you're building for aesthetics, they're not too hand for that purpose in particular.

Something I haven't touched on before is that in each scenario there's a variance of guest cast of $30. In this scenario in particular guests can have between $60-$90 before the run out. Therefore, the max you should set the park fee to is $60. Guests won't think twice about spending all their cash just to go in. Keep in mind, that the limit should only be set once you have enough attractions. I typically go in increments based on how many rides I have set up.

We've also hit the goal requirements, so let's take advantage of the new feature Open RCT2 has: Turbo speed!

And then have it bite us in the rear end, but I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out why my park rating suddenly tanked so bad. Turns out, I forgot to connect this exit path, so I had 150+ guests just stuck here. Oops.

Thankfully, we bounced back in time.

If this happens, just pause the game so you can look for the issue without rushing yourself.

A feature I don't tend to use much myself is that we can purchase land to increase the size of our park. It can be useful if you just need a little extra space to put a ride down.

And in the last stretch, we built a Steeplechase roller coaster. I've never been on one of these, and they seem kind of weird.

I apparently didn't actually screenshot the victory screen, but here's this new kind of screenshot that Open RCT2 allows. A giant screenshot of the entire map.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I don't know if it's as useful in openRCT2 because I hear they've improved the pathfinding in it, but something that was useful in RCT1 was the no-entry signs, which you can make by putting down the decoration signs then clicking on them and clicking the stop sign. This stops guests wandering down paths which is useful on ride exit paths; if the ride exit path just kinda goes awhile before connecting to anything you can use the no-entry sign so guests won't wander up the exit path and waste time they could be using to spend money.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I distinctly remember in RCT3 stuff like the Monorail actually does work for transporting guests, some of the time. They'll get off at other stops, but unless they have a current location in mind it's random which they'll get off at unless they get back to the place they got on.

Realistic I guess.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That map is usually where I peter out on doing scenarios. I always have intentions of doing them all then kinda lose interest. Very excited to see more scenarios!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

President Ark posted:

I don't know if it's as useful in openRCT2 because I hear they've improved the pathfinding in it, but something that was useful in RCT1 was the no-entry signs, which you can make by putting down the decoration signs then clicking on them and clicking the stop sign. This stops guests wandering down paths which is useful on ride exit paths; if the ride exit path just kinda goes awhile before connecting to anything you can use the no-entry sign so guests won't wander up the exit path and waste time they could be using to spend money.

I don't remember if it was added in one of the expansions, but the original, unexpanded RCT1 does not have no-entry signs.

Roth: I don't know if you're aiming to play the RCT1 scenarios "pure", but I think these theming elements are not in the original game?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I looked it up and it seems to have been an addition to Loopy Landscapes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So if I understand you right, if you charge for the park entry AND for all the rides, and guests spend all their money on the park entry, so they can't do much else than leave again, this won't hurt the park rating at all?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Carbon dioxide posted:

So if I understand you right, if you charge for the park entry AND for all the rides, and guests spend all their money on the park entry, so they can't do much else than leave again, this won't hurt the park rating at all?

It depends on how many rides you have. If you charge for 60 and only have 4 rides they'll complain admission was too much but if you have a ton of rides you can bump the price up to the minimum and they don't complain.

I've had old people who have memberships and all they do is walk around the park and look at the scenery, so I guess it tracks.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

It depends on how many rides you have. If you charge for 60 and only have 4 rides they'll complain admission was too much but if you have a ton of rides you can bump the price up to the minimum and they don't complain.

I've had old people who have memberships and all they do is walk around the park and look at the scenery, so I guess it tracks.

Good point. Same thing at the park I worked at. They'd spend a lot of time sitting on a bench or at a table near a cafe just watching people walk by.

I think they were retired locals with nothing better to do.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Why are you digging those 3x3 pits for tunnels? Terraforming is still hella expensive in RCT 1 & 2 and you only need a single tile to get a ride to go underground.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
A Steeplechase roller coaster with only one track? The whole point of the Steeplechase is to simulate a race, with up to four tracks side by side. Looks like the game engine couldn't handle that, unless there's a way to add more parallel tracks somehow.

Of course that means four times as many things to break, so there's only one left in operation (at Blackpool).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Carbon dioxide posted:

Good point. Same thing at the park I worked at. They'd spend a lot of time sitting on a bench or at a table near a cafe just watching people walk by.

I think they were retired locals with nothing better to do.

Understandable. If you're into people watching theme parks are probably one of the better places to go, given their ability to attract a wide range of people, pack them in tight, and make them do stuff.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Asehujiko posted:

Why are you digging those 3x3 pits for tunnels? Terraforming is still hella expensive in RCT 1 & 2 and you only need a single tile to get a ride to go underground.

i used to spend soooo much on terraforming. it's for the aesthetic maaaaaaan

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Asehujiko posted:

Legitimately so I can get it as clearly as possible.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

A Steeplechase roller coaster with only one track? The whole point of the Steeplechase is to simulate a race, with up to four tracks side by side. Looks like the game engine couldn't handle that, unless there's a way to add more parallel tracks somehow.

Of course that means four times as many things to break, so there's only one left in operation (at Blackpool).

Yeah while you can set up two rollercoasters in sync, having more is pretty hard bordering on impossible, since you need to place the entrance and exit huts on the side of the platform, but you also need the rides' platforms to be next to each other for them to sync. If there was a way to have the entrance and exit huts above or below the platform it could work.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

One thing I did like about these early levels is that they're clearly structured to teach you the game. Forest frontiers is the literal tutorial designed to teach you how the basic building works. (If you pick the tutorial its literally just forest frontiers with tutorial pop ups) it's flat empty and doesn't have any challenges.

Dynamite dunes then gives you a bunch of steady slopes to teach you about building around them and hands you the dynamite blaster as an example of how going underground is a way around them. Still nothing too difficult and it still gives you plenty of flat land.

And as noted in the update leafy lakes is all about water. Roughly 3/4 of the level is water so there's no avoiding having to build on or around it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah i really dug these early levels and replyed them a tonne. the later ines are good too but start to get more focused on park management when what i really wanted was a weird empty landscape to sandbox in.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Awww, I love steeplechase coasters. One of my favorite ones ever was Knotts' Wacky Soap Box Racers (r.i.p.). It had four tracks and each car sat three people.

I'm rather sad to hear that there aren't many of these kind left.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

Yeah while you can set up two rollercoasters in sync, having more is pretty hard bordering on impossible, since you need to place the entrance and exit huts on the side of the platform, but you also need the rides' platforms to be next to each other for them to sync. If there was a way to have the entrance and exit huts above or below the platform it could work.
Couldn't you simply make the center platforms two tiles longer? They only need to be directly next to each other at the front, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Couldn't you simply make the center platforms two tiles longer? They only need to be directly next to each other at the front, right?

It would need to be more than two, since there also needs to be room for the neighbouring tracks to turn in, but you can do it. There's a couple of examples pre-built in later scenarios.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, right. The track. Yeah that would be a good idea to leave space for. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Leafy Lakes was my favorite scenario as a kid, mostly because I could keep playing and get really high on all stats as long as I remembered to replace Crazy Caterpillar before a crash killed someone and people stopped wanting to visit :v: (although, bizarrely if there was a crash you could delete the ride and then replace it exactly and it would go back to normal)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think it’s Three Monkeys Park from one of the expansions that takes a third option for three synced tracks: the two outer ones have an incline right before the station, passing directly underneath the entrance/exit buildings for the middle track.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Leafy Lakes was my favorite scenario as a kid, mostly because I could keep playing and get really high on all stats as long as I remembered to replace Crazy Caterpillar before a crash killed someone and people stopped wanting to visit :v: (although, bizarrely if there was a crash you could delete the ride and then replace it exactly and it would go back to normal)

Rct1 got so much easier once I figured out that a single brake segment in your ride basically prevented crashes outright.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
man who uses brakes?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dash Rendar posted:

man who uses brakes?

That's not the real question. The real question is how a 30mph break immediately outside the station magically stops the trains from crashing when the slam into the station at 60.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

(although, bizarrely if there was a crash you could delete the ride and then replace it exactly and it would go back to normal)

Waste of money. Close the ride, go into track edit mode, delete a single track piece, place it again, and reopen. People will consider it a completely new ride, and this is way cheaper than deleting and rebuilding the entire ride.

On the other hand, I don't think this resets the age of the ride, so it's more likely to get another crash soon after.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Carbon dioxide posted:

Waste of money. Close the ride, go into track edit mode, delete a single track piece, place it again, and reopen. People will consider it a completely new ride, and this is way cheaper than deleting and rebuilding the entire ride.

On the other hand, I don't think this resets the age of the ride, so it's more likely to get another crash soon after.

the ride of theseus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I think it was the first expansion pack that featured a four Steeplechase rollercoaster race.