Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I have cousins that have worked at a major park for years, before it was bought out by a more national chain. One worked in the theater department and I would be fascinated by how they built the haunted house for that year, and the shows they had designed, while another worked in the sound design, and lastly, one that was in charge of a major block of the park.

This is where it takes a turn though, as that last cousin was just leaving his park, finishing his shift and there was a tragedy that happened on a roller-coaster in his department. A person who wanted "More Thrills" by trying to circumvent the safety restraints fell from the coaster and was killed. Immediately he had to turn around and come back, and he was forever changed by that experience. While only the theater one still works there, they all have good stories of good times, but the latter doesn't regret his decision to leave in the least.

Talking to him has colored my vision of the theme park industry and the stuff that the people who work in it have to deal with. While I could never do what I know a lot of the employees have had to do, and deal with, I salute you for all of the crazy that comes through those gates every day.

Well, except now a days, with the whole quarantine.

I'm surprised at how many people die at amusement parks. I worked at an amusement park for a summer, and on Independence Day I was talking with my supervisor and he just casually mentioned someone dying of heat stroke. I asked him about it and he mentioned that a couple of people die on Independence Day every year, and it kinda hosed with me. I don't know of anyone who died on coasters while I was there, but I know there were some high profile instances before I started of people disengaging safety equipment and falling out of the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU