Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I worked at a theme park as well.

And I also got some interesting stories to tell.

Let me start with this one because it's appropriate for the thread title.

At the park, toilets were always free to use. In fact, after paying for a park ticket, (almost) all attractions were free too. Of course, food and drinks cost money but the park was ok with people bringing their own picnic and sitting down on a lawn or on a bench somewhere and eating it there.

Anyway, every toilet building was always staffed by one of these cleaning ladies, who would keep the toilets clean throughout the day. These ladies got a relatively low wage, and when I say low, I mean: above European minimum income so enough for a living. But as a little (or a lot) extra on top of their living wage they had this tip jar sitting at the entrance and they'd sit next to it while they weren't cleaning, and most people would drop in some small change.

Apparently, at some point, some of these cleaning ladies started all but DEMANDING tips from the guests and got very angry at those walking in without tipping. So the park management was like "this is not how we want to treat our guests" and explicitly disallowed tipping in the toilet buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't there a fatal accident in an UK theme park some years ago?

I bring this up because this is literally the only case of a death in a theme park that I know about in Europe in recent history.

Anyway, the history post reminded me that the Ferris Wheel in RCT1 is horribly broken.

You know how in real life, they start with a 'special' lap where they stop each car at the loading station, have people get out and new people get in, and once they do a full circle like that, they do 3 laps or whatever, and then do another loading lap?

Not so in RCT1.

In RCT1, if you select "1 lap", what happens is a car will be loaded, then the wheel will make 1 full lap + 1 car, then that car will be loaded, 1 full lap + 1 car, and so on. That's why people are in 16 laps even if you set it to 1.
Set the number of laps to 2, after a car is loaded, the wheel will do 2 full laps + 1 car, then load the second car, and so on. So 32 laps for each guest.

I believe this is a bug and I think it was fixed in RCT2?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Another RCT1 'bug' is that if you make paths that are multiple tiles wide, the guests' pathfinding will get all hosed up and they'll never find their way anywhere.

And for the next real life theme park fact: one time at the park where I worked, after closing time, when we were cleaning up for the day and security was nudging the last few guests towards the exit, we found this lone 5-yo walking around the park entrance/exit area. We had lots of trouble understanding them (forgot if it was a boy or girl this was years ago), there was a language barrier. At some point we managed to get in touch with their parents. They were on the way home, several hundred kilometers past the country border, and were convinced their kid was sleeping on the back seat of the car. Once they found out they immediately turned around to pick the kid up, but one of my coworkers had to stay with the kid until the parents made their way back.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Merry-go-rounds on traveling fun fairs around this region often have this thing hanging from a rope from the roof, and an employee pulls on the rope so it is just barely out of reach of everyone trying to grab it, although they make sure some kid can grab it just before the end of the ride.

The kid who grabs it gets another ride for free.

It's a good way to keep kids occupied during the ride.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I love this game. You can put a “do not enter” sign before the exit of the park, trapping people forever inside.

Nope. Do not enter signs were added in the second game.

What you can do is have the entrance only open up to a couple of rides, which have the exits in a distinct unconnected part of the park with the rest of the rides.

The park rating will drop like a rock though if people want to leave and can't get out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So if I understand you right, if you charge for the park entry AND for all the rides, and guests spend all their money on the park entry, so they can't do much else than leave again, this won't hurt the park rating at all?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

It depends on how many rides you have. If you charge for 60 and only have 4 rides they'll complain admission was too much but if you have a ton of rides you can bump the price up to the minimum and they don't complain.

I've had old people who have memberships and all they do is walk around the park and look at the scenery, so I guess it tracks.

Good point. Same thing at the park I worked at. They'd spend a lot of time sitting on a bench or at a table near a cafe just watching people walk by.

I think they were retired locals with nothing better to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

(although, bizarrely if there was a crash you could delete the ride and then replace it exactly and it would go back to normal)

Waste of money. Close the ride, go into track edit mode, delete a single track piece, place it again, and reopen. People will consider it a completely new ride, and this is way cheaper than deleting and rebuilding the entire ride.

On the other hand, I don't think this resets the age of the ride, so it's more likely to get another crash soon after.